life is beautiful = amazing movie

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dr_nefarious

This has always been my all time favorite movie. Yes I'm a sucker for tear jerkers, but it also has it's somewhat comedic demeanor with robert benigni as the main character. It's originally a foreign italian movie that takes place during the nazi extermination of the jews, and it really has many deep life meanings. Anyway I was just watching it on TV and thought I'd rant and get your opinion on the movie.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene
Silverain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Silverain

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By tekmojo

I'll pass.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dr_nefarious
tekmojo said:
"I'll pass."
Alright but you sure are missing out.
Curfew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Curfew

I might check it out.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By OroJackson

Definitely a great movie that the Tomatometer does not do justice.

Though you have to watch it in italian with English subtitles, as it loses most of its subtle humor in the translation

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

is that the italian movie about WW2?
err... I didn't like it.  It was okay, but to be honest, it really isn't that sad. 

Maybe I've been sort of spoiled though, play Lost Odyssey.  If this movie is a tear jerker, Lost Odyssey is a tear drainer.  Like seriously. 

The whole movie felt like a build up saying "I love the kid, but I can't do as much as I want for him". 
But really if you're into tear jerkers play LO.  Lots of text to read through though (there is essentially a glorified book in it too, lengthy short stories about equaling a book total)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Endogene said:
"http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/1084398-life_is_beautiful/

average score of 77/100 according to rottentomatoes for those who are interested"

rotten tomatoes isn't neccessarily a good source.  It is best for these types of movies.  However, they have a strong bias against anything fantasy.  A HUGE bias.
theres only 1 star wars movie in the 90s, the rest are in the 60s.  Pitiful. 

And they gave FF: Spirits Within, which is damn good a 40. (advent children is okay, but more so just fanservice- spirits within is a fleshed out good story).
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dr_nefarious
OroJackson said:
"

Definitely a great movie that the Tomatometer does not do justice.

Though you have to watch it in italian with English subtitles, as it loses most of its subtle humor in the translation

"
Yeah I actually like to watch it in italian. I like it more for some reason, and I can understand it so that's not a problem.
Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gamer

I seen that movie in my class..

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dr_nefarious
Gamer said:
"I seen that movie in my class.."
and?...what did you think about it?
Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gamer

uhhhhhhhhh, id say it was ok, I think the only time I laughed was when the

*SPOILER        ***********  when the kid was hiding in the box and the soldier had the dad at gun point and the dad started marching in a funny way to make the kid laugh while going to where the soldier was taking him

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dr_nefarious
Gamer said:
"uhhhhhhhhh, id say it was ok, I think the only time I laughed was when the

*SPOILER        ***********  when the kid was hiding in the box and the soldier had the dad at gun point and the dad started marching in a funny way to make the kid laugh while going to where the soldier was taking him"
Yeah benigni is a wacky character. He certainly had his moments.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By kush

I have actually never seen this movie...and I noticed the mentioning of subtitles and dubbing etc...I just wanted to say that I think every foreign film (in a foreign language) needs to be watched the way it was created...and thus in the original language of the film. Dubbing never works out...NEVER.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dr_nefarious
Kush said:
"I have actually never seen this movie...and I noticed the mentioning of subtitles and dubbing etc...I just wanted to say that I think every foreign film (in a foreign language) needs to be watched the way it was created...and thus in the original language of the film. Dubbing never works out...NEVER."
I think it is a sicilian film, so I would think you kush would have seen this at least once..for shame.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By clubsandwich

Yes it's a beautiful movie, one of the few that made me cry..

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kush
dr_nefarious said:
"Kush said:
"I have actually never seen this movie...and I noticed the mentioning of subtitles and dubbing etc...I just wanted to say that I think every foreign film (in a foreign language) needs to be watched the way it was created...and thus in the original language of the film. Dubbing never works out...NEVER."
I think it is a sicilian film, so I would think you kush would have seen this at least once..for shame."
Just because I'm Sicilian doesn't mean I have seen every single Sicilian film out there...plus I'm pretty sure this is an Italian movie and is set in Arezzo, Italy
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dr_nefarious
Kush said:
"dr_nefarious said:
"Kush said:
I think it is a sicilian film, so I would think you kush would have seen this at least once..for shame."
Just because I'm Sicilian doesn't mean I have seen every single Sicilian film out there...plus I'm pretty sure this is an Italian movie and is set in Arezzo, Italy"
You must embrace your sicilianess! Completely off topic but have you ever been to sicily? I'm going pretty soon and hoping to find the location where they shot the godfather scenes.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kush
dr_nefarious said:
"You must embrace your sicilianess! Completely off topic but have you ever been to sicily? I'm going pretty soon and hoping to find the location where they shot the godfather scenes."
I have sadly never been to Sicily...or even Italy. I have only been to England, Scotland and Paris...with Scotland coming out on top easily. I plan to visit some time in the future though (if I find a fellow person to accompany me)...I don't like traveling alone, especially overseas.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dr_nefarious
Kush said:
"dr_nefarious said:
"You must embrace your sicilianess! Completely off topic but have you ever been to sicily? I'm going pretty soon and hoping to find the location where they shot the godfather scenes."
I have sadly never been to Sicily...or even Italy. I have only been to England, Scotland and Paris...with Scotland coming out on top easily. I plan to visit some time in the future though (if I find a fellow person to accompany me)...I don't like traveling alone, especially overseas."
I've been to France, Australia, and Ireland (me home country) but hey If you do happen to travel to sicily anytime soon maybe you'll see me there eating cannolis, hah!
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kush
dr_nefarious said:
"I've been to France, Australia, and Ireland (me home country) but hey If you do happen to travel to sicily anytime soon maybe you'll see me there eating cannolis, hah!"
If I saw you doing that I would have to come up to you, smack the cannoli out of your hand...then pick it back up and hand it to you. ...And then smack it back out of your hand of course.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're into sad movies at all, I would recommend Dancer in the Dark, watched a long time ago when I was young, probably the one of the first movies that ever got me teary eyed.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dr_nefarious
Kush said:
"dr_nefarious said:
"I've been to France, Australia, and Ireland (me home country) but hey If you do happen to travel to sicily anytime soon maybe you'll see me there eating cannolis, hah!"
If I saw you doing that I would have to come up to you, smack the cannoli out of your hand...then pick it back up and hand it to you. ...And then smack it back out of your hand of course."
Why??? What did the cannoli do to you!?!
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kush
dr_nefarious said:
"Kush said:
"dr_nefarious said:
If I saw you doing that I would have to come up to you, smack the cannoli out of your hand...then pick it back up and hand it to you. ...And then smack it back out of your hand of course."
Why??? What did the cannoli do to you!?!"
It attempted to be eaten by an Irish dude...that's what. THAT'S WHAT!!!! Off to bed I am.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Emilio
Endogene said:
"http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/1084398-life_is_beautiful/

average score of 77/100 according to rottentomatoes for those who are interested"
Its a 100/100 in my book. Greaet film.
Roberto Benigni is a hilarious dude. When ever they show Johnny Stecchino on IFC I always make sure I watch it.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Black_Raven
Kush said:
I agree, dubbing ruins movies, i would much rather subtitles.