• 111 results
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By MikkaQ

Haven't pirated music for a good while. Especially through some limewire-type deal. Stopped torrenting illegal crap maybe 2 years ago? Limewire must have been 5-6 years ago for me.  

Anyway I think it doesn't really matter anymore. There are now many cheap methods of acquiring music that are much more convenient than any piracy method I've ever seen. iTunes and Amazon have made it literally too easy for me to pay for music and movies, to the point where stealing them is more work. Steam has done the game with PC games, and pirating console games have always been too inconvenient to bother with. 

Oh and yeah morality bonus I guess too, but I don't care about the artists too much anyway. 

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By cloneslayer

I just hope it doesnt bring those stupid ppl to torrent sits, good thing mine is invite only

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By haggis

Wow. Limewire. Brings back memories. None of them good. :/  What a mess that software was. I can't even remember how many computers I had to fix because of it. I was long done with my pirating phase by then, but I do remember telling people that if they were going to do it, do it some other way. Any other way. Torrents. Even freaking usenet. But not Limewire.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By MrKlorox

Good.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm not sure this is entirely fair on Limewire as it's not as if they did nothing to try and detect pirates but the shutting down of Limewire is no loss to the pirating community. As I remember it Limewire was thin on content, filled with junk files and riddled with viruses and that was a while ago.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" People still use Limewire? "
^
dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By dillonwerner
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
I haven't used that since like 5th grade?
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By marrec

Where are all the stupid people going to get Malware that they can't clean off now? That's like, a quarter of my customer base damnit! 

The courts never think of the little people...

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Brunchies

For everyone who still uses limewire, use something called torrents. Try bittorrent or vuze out, those work pretty well. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I still remember when I used to search for songs I used to either get that audio of Bill Clinton telling his fellow Americans how he did not have sexual relations with that women or a file named "Cute Girl has orgasm on webcam".

I will miss Limewire...eh...sort of? :/

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By marrec
@NekuSakuraba  

"Cute Girl Has Orgasm On Webcam.exe" 

This seems legit.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Hourai

I stopped using Limewire like five years ago. It screwed my PC up with all sorts of crazy viruses. 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By Vonocourt

I always find itunes libraries at my dorm that say "So-and-so's limewire songs," so there were still some people on it.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By gamb1t

people dont use napster still? im lost

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By xMP44x

I've never used Limewire so this will not hazard me a second thought. I can imagine some people will likely be disappointed though, as it always seemed to straddle the line of legality in the past. Apparently it could not continue to do so. Unfortunately for those who shut it down, people will likely seek to find ways to undermine this through new programs, websites and other illegal activities.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#66  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I use Soulseek anyways.

or used to that is.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've used Limewire since the 8th grade, and I'm sad to see it go.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Bestostero

I see people use limewire all the time at my school haha

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#69  Edited By B0nd07

I haven't used it anywhere near as much as I used to.  I pretty much only use it to find an illusive song or two that I can't find anywhere else now.

I remember using the free version to get the Pro version once or twice.  Good times.

I will not, however, miss the viruses.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I occasionally get called by friends and family to do tech support when their computers are loaded up with spyware, they buy me a case of beer or something and I come look at the computer. I've done this probably ten or so times over the last couple years. There's a Limewire icon on the desktop every single time.

So looks like I just lost a good source of free beer. Thanks a lot, courts!

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By T0mF5

I have always hated Limewire.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Gerhabio
@jinxman: Except for the the ones that own their own labels and other few rare exceptions, artists don't make shit off album or song sales. Whether people buy a million copies or 500,000 doesn't affect the artists' bank account. The label gets your money. Artists get all their moneys from concerts/shows and sometimes the merchandise sold in them (but not usually).

Don't go Metallica on us, duder.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By turbomonkey138
@gakon5 said:

" I used to work at a used computer store, and getting a virus-ridden computer with a Limewire install was always fun.   Even better is if the customer returns a week after getting their computer fixed complaining about viruses, and there's that Limewire again, reinstalled after we reinstalled Windows. "

The gift that keeps on giving 
ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ShadowKing7
@marrec said:
" @NekuSakuraba   "Cute Girl Has Orgasm On Webcam.exe"  This seems legit. "

I loved how no matter what you were looking for or what you typed in the search bar, that was basically always the first thing to show up with Limewire. 

Also, I can't remember the last time I used Limewire.  I do remember that it could be slow as fuck and was basically a big risk for viruses and such.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Aronman789

Limewire was for the people who don't know how to torrent even though torrenting has become easy as fuck

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#76  Edited By Hailinel

I honestly wasn't aware that it was still in operation.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By angelfan91
@Tylea002:
I know some 20 year olds that use(d) limewire.  Idiots.
jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By jinxman
@G3RHRT said:
" @jinxman: Except for the the ones that own their own labels and other few rare exceptions, artists don't make shit off album or song sales. Whether people buy a million copies or 500,000 doesn't affect the artists' bank account. The label gets your money. Artists get all their moneys from concerts/shows and sometimes the merchandise sold in them (but not usually).  Don't go Metallica on us, duder. "
Sure, just go ahead and justify stealing.  First, there are plenty of indie artists not on any major label nowadays who I'm sure get pirated just as much as any major label artist.  Second, whatever you think about the labels, they are allowing artists to make their music, so hurting them still indirectly hurts the artists.  There's no excuse for not spending 5 to 8 dollars for albums.  Really not that big of a deal, but people like you act like you're on some crusade against record companies, when really you just don't feel like spending money.
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Gerhabio
@jinxman: Mm, no. I'm in no crusade, I really don't care about labels either way. I was just pointing out that most artists (I did specify that some owned their own labels) don't get any revenue from album sales as you seemed to indicate. In the case of independent artists, well... You really can't say that they "get pirated as much as any major label artist" because that's simply not true. They are less renowned, popular and thus in less demand by the sheer fact they are independent. 
There's always an excuse for not spending, especially for people that live paycheck by paycheck and considering that the average 20-year-old's music library is about 3 days worth of music, buying all the albums you like is probably too much of a luxury. So, you're right in that I don't like to spend money I don't have to, but that doesn't mean I'm a threat to society or anything.  When I like artists and I know they own their own label and depend on album sales I buy their albums, like Serj Tankian's Serjical Strike, for example.
 Unless you have familial ties with the record label business or wanted to start your own or something I don't really see why'd you even invest energy in trying to defend them. Music got around before record labels  existed and with today's technology it is even easier to communicate it globally. Record labels are just a part of a contemporary system of musical distribution, a middle man that is quickly becoming dated as evidenced by its monetary losses in the face of electronic sharing. While today, it artists still consider labels as THE way to distribute their music and earn popularity, tomorrow that won't be necessary. A good example of this is El Porta, a rapper from Spain that quickly rose to international popularity in Europe by simply posting his music on the web, no record label needed. The concept of sharing music as stealing is just an ethical construction specifically created by people who have financial stake on the music biz.
 But yeah, don't fret. What do you think?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By HandsomeDead
@NekuSakuraba said:

" I still remember when I used to search for songs I used to either get that audio of Bill Clinton telling his fellow Americans how he did not have sexual relations with that women or a file named "Cute Girl has orgasm on webcam". I will miss Limewire...eh...sort of? :/ "

I don't suppose you ever downloaded that episode of Scrubs that had an abnormally large file size and ended up being a video that looked like a VHS recording of two girls getting stripped naked and whipped with nettles in a Russian high school gym.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By RsistncE

LOL LIMEWIRE 

R.I.P
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Xeiphyer

Smart people stopped using limewire a long time ago.

monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By monkey523
@jinxman said:

"There's no excuse for not spending 5 to 8 dollars for albums."

Just curious: where are you buying your CDs?  'Cause where I come from, they sell for 10 up to 15 dollars.
bulletzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By bulletzing

*cough* Bittorrent *cough*

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jinxman
@monkey523 said:
" @jinxman said:

"There's no excuse for not spending 5 to 8 dollars for albums."

Just curious: where are you buying your CDs?  'Cause where I come from, they sell for 10 up to 15 dollars. "
emusic.com and amazon.com dude.  Emusic albums are always around there, the only problem being that they don't have some artists, although they get more every month.  And amazon has tons of albums at 8 bucks, and every month they have 100 or so albums on sale for 5 bucks.  If you're buying stuff off itunes or at a store that's your own fault.
jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By jinxman
@G3RHRT: I highly doubt artists get NO revenue from album sales.  If you have some source on that, go ahead show me, cause I really am interested.  But still, stealing is stealing.  Honestly, I'm glad the music industry is going more independent and the labels aren't really needed anymore, because all that really means is that there's more music out there because it's cheaper for people to distribute it on their own.  But I don't fault artists for sticking with labels, and it's not fair to them to just steal all their music.  You're not entitled to free music.  It's one thing to get some music from your friend, but these people that torrent gigs and gigs worth of music really aren't doing any good.  So I'm glad that you personally buy albums from artists you want to support, but I know plenty of people that don't, indie artist or not, and there's really something wrong with that picture.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By valrog
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
My thoughts exactly.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#88  Edited By tebbit

For me it was always Napster or bust. 

Or Kazaa. 

Anyway, torrents. That is all.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Gerhabio
@jinxman: Ok, I think I see where the contradiction in our lines of thinking is. We have different conceptions of what the relationship of art and copyright ought to be. I feel like you are more of a purist in terms of these ethical questions: It's either all or nothing and it doesn't really matter if it harms the artist or not because there is a paper out there that says that labels can sue you if you copy things they paid for without permission and therefore it is technically stealing. Is this a fair assessment?
 While I think that copyright is important to keep authorship sacred, I also think that once art is made it belongs to everyone. An artist does not own the concept of the piece just as he does not own the knowledge that led him to its creation. Don't get me wrong, I do think that an author should get royalties for commercial use of his creation and should be able to sue whoever tries to claim the creation as his own, but personal use of art --in particular, easily duplicated and distributed forms like music-- should be completely free for all.  
Here's a good article about how, in reality, artists benefit more from a free-share world than a label-ruled one: 
 http://labs.timesonline.co.uk/blog/2009/11/12/do-music-artists-do-better-in-a-world-with-illegal-file-sharing/
My overall point is, we should be concerned about the artists themselves and not worry about what happens to an obsolete middle man.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By asurastrike
@Gizmo said:
" Finally.  The noobs that are still downloading shity ass 128kpbs quality mp3's on Limewire will finally discover the light that is FLAC quality torrents.  "
Honestly 128kbps sounds fine to me. I'm pretty sure that's standard for itunes mp3's anyway. Besides, I'm listening through 15 dollar Sony earbuds, not a Bose system.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Capum15

I forgot that even existed.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#92  Edited By AhmadMetallic

ive NEVER, EVER used Limewire 

it was Kazaa around 2002-2005, then Ares 2005-2007, and then i jumped onto the torrent wagon 

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ShockD
Pity that I heard of it just now...
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#94  Edited By FacelessVixen

*chuckles* Limewire. 'Bout time.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By mnzy
@Lemoncookie01 said:
" There's still frostwire. "
Same servers.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By meteora
@jinxman said:
" Here's a nice idea.  Stop pirating.  Fuckin a.  I'm not gonna pretend I've never pirated before, but I stopped a long time ago.  Music's really not that expensive, especially if you buy from emusic or amazon.  How about we support the artists that work their asses off creating music we like?  Makes sense to me. "
Don't most of the profit go to the publisher and a very small amount go to the artist? I recalled that artists normally make more money from concerts instead.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#97  Edited By bed
@Tebbit said:
" For me it was always Napster or bust.  Or Kazaa.  Anyway, torrents. That is all. "
aghh. i remember waiting an entire day to download a 30 second song preview with Napster.  
with Kazaa on the other hand.. i remember getting a bunch of viruses :P 
Jacob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Jacob
@Djeffers03 said:
" You really need to start making proper threads instead of just posting links to elsewhere. "
You really need to shut the fuck up. I hope somebody pisses in your face :).
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Djeffers03
@Jacob said:
" @Djeffers03 said:
" You really need to start making proper threads instead of just posting links to elsewhere. "
You really need to shut the fuck up. I hope somebody pisses in your face :). "
Well you're a pleasant little twat aren't you :).
meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#100  Edited By meptron

so the fight against pirates finally catches up to where they were 8 years ago