The future is a scary place.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By atejas

I'll keep my 9% growth rate, thank you very much.

Oh wait- I can't. Because your banks have been too busy crashing.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's times like that that you need some wise words to guide you through the future, and at this time, I can't think of anything more apt than 'We are FUCKED!' as said by Private First Class William Hudson of the US Colonial Marines.

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thanatos990

ahh the Bush's  years arint they amazing!!

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Too bad for americans :(  i have many inmigrant friends there =/ i wish they can get throu this =( some of them are really poor

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"Too bad for americans :(  i have many inmigrant friends there =/ i wish they can get throu this =( some of them are really poor"
No. Too bad for the entire world. The people who think they are immune from this financial collapse are pretty wrong because America effects everyone.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Lies
thanatos990 said:
"ahh the Bush's  years arint that amazing!!"
You do realize that this financial crisis would have happened regardless of who was the president right? Bush may be responsible for a lackluster federal response, but the crisis has it's roots in average citizens defaulting on their mortgages, something he would have very little power to control.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By brukaoru
Lies said:
"thanatos990 said:
You do realize that this financial crisis would have happened regardless of who was the president right? Bush may be responsible for a lackluster federal response, but the crisis has it's roots in average citizens defaulting on their mortgages, something he would have very little power to control."
+1 Lies. I don't why so many people can't seem to grasp that.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Unfortunately the world economy works in cycle's. And we've had a long period of economic stability, so now we're going to go through a period of recession. This is probably going to be one of the easiest periods of recession the world has seen. In the past when there have been economic low points the majority of people had much fewer luxuries to cut back on than we do now. The majority of people will be fine, they'll just need to cut back on a few things. The only people who are going to be in serious trouble are those who are currently in large amounts of debt, and that's their own fault.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_
brukaoru said:
"Lies said:
"thanatos990 said:
You do realize that this financial crisis would have happened regardless of who was the president right? Bush may be responsible for a lackluster federal response, but the crisis has it's roots in average citizens defaulting on their mortgages, something he would have very little power to control."

"
Because it's a load of horse shit.
thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thanatos990
Lies said:
"thanatos990 said:
uhh well maybe if the government didnt deregulate and saved its money........the dollar is going down in value fast
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brukaoru
Jayge said:
"Because it's a load of horse shit."
So you think if someone else had been president, we wouldn't be in this predicament? I highly doubt that, but then my personal opinion is that the President is just a figure head and the government will do whatever they want anyway, so what do I know.

Either way, it doesn't really matter, we're stuck here now. Rough times are ahead.
thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thanatos990

The US  dollar is based on faith and when countries lose faith in it guess what? It becomes WORTHLESS!

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
brukaoru said:
"Jayge said:
So you think if someone else had been president, we wouldn't be in this predicament? I highly doubt that, but then my personal opinion is that the President is just a figure head and the government will do whatever they want anyway, so what do I know.

Either way, it doesn't really matter, we're stuck here now. Rough times are ahead."
No, I disagree with his saying it's the defaulter's faults.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By get2sammyb

Like Matty said the world economy is heading into recession. We've been here before (and a lot worse than this too I believe).

No doubt the economy is in a predicament but be careful of the news sources that are scare mongering. Cut backs will need to be made of course but like has already been said it is a cyclic (?).

I'm enjoying importing from the US just now. Just one of my Great British Pounds gets me nearly two of your American dollars. Half price!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru
Jayge said:
"No, I disagree with his saying it's the defaulter's faults."
Oh I see. Misinterpreted that, sorry.

I think the mortgage companies were far too lenient dishing our mortgages over the last few years. Especially people with low-income jobs, how did they ever think they could pay them off?

get2sammyb said:
"I'm enjoying importing from the US just now. Just one of my Great British Pounds gets me nearly two of your American dollars. Half price!"
Lucky! >:P

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tomzombie

IR SPECIAL .                 YES SPEND 700 billion tax payer money to keep the ideioc ceos back in power where they may just fuck us even more.  and we need it now  when they dont even bother to have an economist at there meting to make the dame compromise. and  the ecomomist say to not rush this and they do so now we have a Hover how do you feel 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vglyHuh2un0

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Giantkitty
Jayge said:
"brukaoru said:
"Lies said:
"thanatos990 said:

"
Because it's a load of horse shit."
Cutting and pasting "Iraq War" from Wikipedia:

"The financial cost of the war has been more than £4.5 billion ($9 billion) to the UK,and over $845 billion to the U.S., with the total cost to the U.S. economy estimated at $3 trillion"

Without the war we would have been able to pay for this easily.

Not only that, Federal funding was cut to pay for this. What happens when Federal funding gets cut? People lose jobs (we had about a 10% reduction in non-professor workforce at the U of M). What happens when people lose their jobs? They can't pay their mortgages.

People don't just as a big group default on their mortgages for no reason. Maybe it would have happened no matter who was President, but it could have been significantly lessened, were talking $700 billion here. It's what happens when the government becomes a big spender (we had a trade surplus before George W. came into office - he sure turned that around in a hurry), somebody has to pick up the tab eventually. The government tried to stimulate the economy with housing. Cutting and pasting "Subprime mortgage crisis" from Wikipedia:

"The risks to the broader economy created by the financial market crisis and housing market downturn were primary factors in several decisions by the U.S. Federal Reserve to cut interest rates and the economic stimulus package passed by Congress and signed by President George W. Bush on 13 February 2008"

It was a gamble, and they lost; well, the banks and the people who couldn't pay lost.

Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford were "lackluster" Bush was destructive.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

That's awfully tenuous. I guess its better to say "hey if the war never happened we could afford _____" than to recognize congress voted for deregulation (that's Obama and McCain) and that's what got us into this mess. So it would have happened either way, only without the war we could afford to bail out the banks easier. But we shouldnt be bailing out banks to begin with, so get over your parrot of a rant and think of a solution. Not everything is Bush's fault, that's so fucking ignorant. Its like this generation has no concept of how the 3 party system works. Its impossible to have a single straw man with a 3 party system.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Shawn
brukaoru said:
"Jayge said:

Either way, it doesn't really matter, we're stuck here now. Rough times are ahead."
Correct, mortgages are a big part of the crisis. But really it's the debt that we're in from the war, which is in the trillions.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RetroIce4
brukaoru said:
"Lies said:
"thanatos990 said:

"
Doesn't the President only have 1/3 of the power. It's out own fault and the bankers... The Congress (Mainly their fault for past couple years) sucks and they didn't realize this was going to happen. I F*CKING hate History but we have it for this reason alone.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Lies
Shawn said:
"brukaoru said:
"Jayge said:

Correct, mortgages are a big part of the crisis. But really it's the debt that we're in from the war, which is in the trillions."
War debt only comes into the picture as we would have more funds available to bail out the economy, it wouldn't have averted the crisis. The crisis originated with banks giving out bad loans that homeowners realistically had no chance to pay.

The problem here is banks giving out mortgages to people that had less than stellar credit at high-interest rates. These mortgages were then bundled up and sold to financial institutions as safe money, with mutual funds, stock brokers, and banks buying them up. When these people started to default on their loans because they really didn't have much of a chance to pay it in the beginning, they just stopped paying and walked away. With no one to pay back the loans, the banks that had given the loans were in trouble, as well as the Wall-Street financial institutions that had bought these sub-prime mortgages up in the millions, looking for an easy profit. Since no one was paying their loans, these big-time financial institutions were out BIG money, with no way of paying it back, save a federal bailout (which is what happened with companies like AIG). But many more banks than it is possible for the fed to bail out bought into these loans, so they're all out money. No one knows how far-reaching this crisis is, which leads to an atmosphere of everybody wanting to sell, and no one wanting to buy because they don't want to buy up bad stock or loans.

The fed will bail out what it needs to to keep our economy afloat, but the capitalist system just isn't designed to be owned by the federal government. that runs completely counter to the whole philosophy. The fed only bailed out anybody because this crisis was starting to threaten our economy's stability.
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By serbsta

Lol, i just find it hilarious how heaps of Americans think the bailout will help save the economy. IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST THEFT IN HISTORY.

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thanatos990
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By adam_grif
Lies said:
"Shawn said:
"brukaoru said:
"Jayge said:

Correct, mortgages are a big part of the crisis. But really it's the debt that we're in from the war, which is in the trillions."
War debt only comes into the picture as we would have more funds available to bail out the economy, it wouldn't have averted the crisis. The crisis originated with banks giving out bad loans that homeowners realistically had no chance to pay.

The problem here is banks giving out mortgages to people that had less than stellar credit at high-interest rates. These mortgages were then bundled up and sold to financial institutions as safe money, with mutual funds, stock brokers, and banks buying them up. When these people started to default on their loans because they really didn't have much of a chance to pay it in the beginning, they just stopped paying and walked away. With no one to pay back the loans, the banks that had given the loans were in trouble, as well as the Wall-Street financial institutions that had bought these sub-prime mortgages up in the millions, looking for an easy profit. Since no one was paying their loans, these big-time financial institutions were out BIG money, with no way of paying it back, save a federal bailout (which is what happened with companies like AIG). But many more banks than it is possible for the fed to bail out bought into these loans, so they're all out money. No one knows how far-reaching this crisis is, which leads to an atmosphere of everybody wanting to sell, and no one wanting to buy because they don't want to buy up bad stock or loans.

The fed will bail out what it needs to to keep our economy afloat, but the capitalist system just isn't designed to be owned by the federal government. that runs completely counter to the whole philosophy. The fed only bailed out anybody because this crisis was starting to threaten our economy's stability."
+1, I'm not familiar with economics so it's nice to see it explained well.
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Giantkitty

[ryanwho]
>That's awfully tenuous

Something that cost in trillions is tenuous? Anything that costs that much has to have some kind of impact.

>I guess it is better to say "hey if the war never happened we could afford ____" than to recognize congress voted for deregulation >(that's Obama and McCain) and that's what got us in this mess

And Bush approved it

>So it would have happened either way, only without the war we could afford to bail out the banks easier

Not necessarily. This is my chain of events in a nutshell. 1) We got into a war that cost us trillions 2) This war slowed the economy (when you spend that much, it has to be taken from elsewhere, in this case money that was supposed to help our economy) 3) Since the economy was slowed, they cut interest rates and deregulated laws to stimulate the economy (why else would they do it?) 4) people didn't pay back their loans and it came crashing down

>so get over your parrot of a rant and think of a solution

My point is just as relevant if I copy and pasted it from somewhere or thought of it on my own (I thought of it and used Wikipedia to back it up). And telling me to think of a solution is irrelevant. I'm just pointing out the emperor has no clothes, I don't have to say what he has to wear, he's just as naked (The thread isn't titled "what are some solutions ...?"). And I know it's Tu quoque-ish, but nobody else has a solution on this thread.

>Not everything is Bush's fault, that's so fucking ignorant

Who said it was all his fault? I more or less think of him as the kingpin in all this. As President (a branch of office held by one person - as such, assumes a leadership position) and Commander in Chief (see Iraq War) and he could have vetoed any of those Bills Congress passed (they share the blame too) - some of those bills he implemented.
I only said this because people were making it out like this crisis would have been the same no matter who was President, which I find ridiculous.

>Its like this generation has no concept how the 3 party system works

What do you mean by this generation? And what does being a Democrat/Republican/Independent have to do in all this? Maybe you're right, maybe some people of your generation has no concept of the three branches of government and how it works.

>Its impossible to have a single straw man with a 3 party system

Well, I don't see the judicial branch playing much of a role in this, so that just leaves Congress (with hundreds of members) and Bush. Hence, that's why I have him as the kingpin.

[Lies]
>War debt only comes into the picture as we would have more funds available to bail out the economy, it wouldn't have averted the >crisis. The crisis originated with banks giving out bad loans that homeowners realistically had no chance to pay

See my nutshell above. But yes, if the bankers wouldn't have been so greedy. Also if there wasn't a war, the economy would have been better and there would have been a greater chance at least some of them would have paid the loans back.

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jigen
It's only Bush's fault as he was one more person who let the corporations run wild, along the lines of the Republican philosophy since Reagan.  The Democrats could have pushed harder against this path, but traditionally the Republicans & Libertarians follow this ideology which is fundamentally flawed.  Trickle down does NOT work, EVER.  The vast majority of value never trickles down, and at that point the money can never be recycled into the system.

It's certainly not wholly the fault of people who bought the bad mortgages, but the fault of banks selling mortgages that had a bad chance of ever being paid off & then selling those bad debts to other banks under false pretense.

Anyways, we are moving to a more populist or socialist time in the world.  I'm actually worried things are going to knee jerk too far over the other way, and then we'll have more corrupt gov'ts with more power than ever before.

The Republican ideology in this current crisis would allow the world economy to completely collapse, and new smarter people would build new, better managed banks and those people would become the new powers.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Player1

I'm getting more scarred about this by the day. I watch the news and hear worse and worse shit. 

You should just call this topic, "Lets all blame Bush for something hes not responsible for!" 
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By serbsta

Guys, the rejection is a good thing in the long run, trust me, if this bill still doesn't pass after consecutive reconsideration's you would have just saved yourself from being completely owned by foreign investors. This a good thing, they're trying to smear it. Unfortunately i don't see this not passing by the elections. Well see i guess.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hazelnutman

When Columbine happened, the media seemed to be the scapegoat.

Now, it seems that we're all using Bush for this economic stuff. Pretty sad :|

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Giantkitty

[Jigen]
>It's only Bush's fault as he was one more person who let the corporations run wild
[Player1]
>You should just call this topic, "Lets all blame Bush for something hes not responsible for!"

See my nutshell 1-3

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Meowayne

Who wants money? I have money to give away. Money, anyone?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Meowayne said:
"Who wants money? I have money to give away. Money, anyone?"
Sure, I'll give you my bank details so you can put it in there...
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By lazyturtle
Lies said:
Totally correct. It's actually Regans fault! 
henjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By henjin

You make a mistake, you pay.
THEY make a mistake, YOU pay!

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By ManlyBeast

Grow up...nothing to laugh about.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By serbsta
ManlyBeast said:
"Grow up...nothing to laugh about."
Lol... wrong thread?
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Verdugo
TheGTAvaccine said:
"The future is a scary place."
I'll steal this and use it as an album name kthanxbai.

(and you're right, it is)
thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thanatos990
Giantkitty said:
"[Jigen]
>It's only Bush's fault as he was one more person who let the corporations run wild
[Player1]
>You should just call this topic, "Lets all blame Bush for something hes not responsible for!"

See my nutshell 1-3"
lame attempt to hide the blame
thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thanatos990
lazyturtle said:
"
Lies said:
"
that is true, he deregulated the market and  nows its full of weeds
ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#42  Edited By ManMadeGod
thanatos990 said:
"lazyturtle said:
"
Lies said:
"
that is true, he deregulated the market and  nows its full of weeds"
That's not true at all.
Regan wanted Government to get out of the markets, something that has not happened since he left office. Government intervention is one of the reason we are in this mess right now. Take the Community Reinvestment Act for example.

Why is there a need to blame this mess on one person? There has been a slew of failures and mistakes that have led us to where we are today. Instead of focusing on the past and who should take the blame we should all be trying to find a solution. Hint: The passed bailout plan is not the solution.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RetroIce4

How come we don't have real democracy...? Seriously.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By shotaro

The bailout won't help the economy anywhere it will just tell the greedy pig fuckers that have made this happen think they can keep pulling this shit and get away with it - the best thing

Mr T did - if only we were paying attention
we can do as a world is draw out every penny from every bank in the world and bankrupt all of them. but that is impossible because even though I want that to happen I know doing so would lose me my house and everything I own when the people with millions under their beds sweep in and buy the whole fucking show.

If only someone somewhere had seen this coming...
Avatar image for genericmetaphor
GenericMetaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GenericMetaphor
Lies said:
"thanatos990 said:
IT was designed that way to make as much money as possible, and then get out at the last second. To suggest that it's actually regular citizens fault is absurd. It's the people who manipulate them for their own gain. This was predictable years ago. This is no surprise.
thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thanatos990
atejas said:
"I'll keep my 9% growth rate, thank you very much.
Oh wait- I can't. Because your banks have been too busy crashing.
"
unless ur chinese i dont believe you,
Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Bartiemus

it can only go down for so long

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By serbsta
Shotaro said:
"The bailout won't help the economy anywhere it will just tell the greedy pig fuckers that have made this happen think they can keep pulling this shit and get away with it - the best thing
we can do as a world is draw out every penny from every bank in the world and bankrupt all of them. but that is impossible because even though I want that to happen I know doing so would lose me my house and everything I own when the people with millions under their beds sweep in and buy the whole fucking show.

If only someone somewhere had seen this coming..."
The Founding Fathers saw it coming...
Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By Yit

Quickly, to Russia!

They never fail!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By get2sammyb

While I believe the economy is in a state at the moment I don't believe the media is helping.

It's another dose of scare mongering - just like bird flu, just like the Millenium Bug, just like every other major news story that is blown out of all proportions.

By the news blowing this out of proportion, people are discouraged from spending which is only making the matter worse.

Then again I'm sure people in here know more than me and are ready to shoot me down. Seems logical to me though.