Longest road trip you've ever been on?

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DXSSI

So, my brother and I are setting out on Thursday morning for Kennesaw, Georgia; traveling from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  In all it should be about thirteen hours one-way, assuming we don't hit any major snags.  Should be a fun trip if we can stand the drive; the longest either one of us have been in a car before is about 6 to 7 hours and this will be nearly double that.  I imagine there will be periodic stops for rest and food, so the entire trip one-way will probably end up in the 16 to 17 hour range.  What's the craziest road trip you've ever been on?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Went across the US once. From California to New York down to Mississippi. I was about 5 years old and it was with my Dad. The drive there lasted about 5 days because we made a lot of stops and sight seeing. It's a shame I don't remember most of it, but I can't imagine myself as a 5 year old keeping sane for 5 days on the road...

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheFreeMan

I live in BC, and when I was about seven my family and I went down to California in Disneyland by car.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By RedSox8933

Van trip through Nebraska. anyone get the reference?

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By auspiciousqueue

From Oakland, California to Chicago, Illinois. I didn't mind driving it at all. I had some fun times. 

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Black_Rose

That I remember, last year's road trip to Caracas that lasted about 20 hours, it was boring as hell.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Wolverine
DXSSI said:
"So, my brother and I are setting out on Thursday morning for Kennesaw, Georgia; traveling from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  In all it should be about thirteen hours one-way, assuming we don't hit any major snags.  Should be a fun trip if we can stand the drive; the longest either one of us have been in a car before is about 6 to 7 hours and this will be nearly double that.  I imagine there will be periodic stops for rest and food, so the entire trip one-way will probably end up in the 16 to 17 hour range.  What's the craziest road trip you've ever been on?"
My longest road trip was about 13 hours long from New Jersey to Florida and it was so boring.
Mr_Bauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Mr_Bauer

going from Missouri, all the way up to New Hampshire back in '06

only thing that kept me sane was having my DS with me the whole time.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tekmojo

Been across country twice. Both trips were chaotic but with some great memories. NYC - Cali  then Cali - Rhode Island/Va. Military family, station to station lol.

Also, When I visit grandparents in Texas with my family, we take a 30 hour trip non-stop to From Virginia to Austin. Previous trips have not been so pleasant.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolverine
tekmojo said:
"Been across country twice. Both trips were chaotic but with some great memories. NYC - Cali  then Cali - Rhode Island/Va. Military family, station to station lol.

Also, When I visit grandparents in Texas with my family, we take a 30 hour trip non-stop to From Virginia to Austin. Previous trips have not been so pleasant.

"
Wow it must be cool to travel from NYC to California. I've never been west coast and would love to travel cross country and see the whole country.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

Went across Canada a couple times with my father in a crumby dodge caravan.  No A/C and the sliding door would only close if you drove up to speed and then stopped really fast.  Also drove up to the northwest territories to see some more relatives, was very fun.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

From Seattle to San Diego. Well, I guess to Las Vegas too, if one night at a motel doesn't count.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tekmojo
Wolverine said:
"tekmojo said:
"Been across country twice. Both trips were chaotic but with some great memories. NYC - Cali  then Cali - Rhode Island/Va. Military family, station to station lol.

"
Wow it must be cool to travel from NYC to California. I've never been west coast and would love to travel cross country and see the whole country."
Yes, PLENTY of stops lol.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Either when I moved to Phoenix or Georgia.  I don't know which one is longer from Waco, Texas...but I miss Brunswick.  That place is sweet!  Nice golf course out there...

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By weltal

Road trip from PA to CA. Crashed in Arizona and took a bus back. That bus ride will forever be etched into my mind as the longest 72 hours of my life and it is a hell I would never wish upon anyone.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By teh_destroyer

I am going on a trip at the end of April to Connecticut. Its a 17 hour drive from Kennesaw,Ga. I wish I could fly there,but the people I am going with are trying to be "cheap" about it.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DXSSI

Well, geez, I expected some people to have gone on trips longer than this one is gonna be, but I never expected so many.  I don't know why anyone does what we're doing, really—I would've flown, but he wants to drive and I'm just kind of tagging along to help with the driving, so...

Fortunately my iTunes collection is well-organized, so we'll have music to listen to all the way there and back.   Shouldn't be too terrible of an experience.

KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KennyTheSober

I have travelled from Leeds, England to Hamburg, Germany by bus. I think it took about 20hours, with the channel crossing. Can't really remember because I was totally hammer'd because I was on the road to Wacken 2007. Saying that very few of us were sober, good times. The trip back was worse cos everyone was sober, and hungova... bad times.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGremp

My family is rather crazy about travel.  Long story short, I've driven from Kansas to Alaska.  We drove straight through Canada in a blue creep-van, and went as far north as possible until we hit a wall. (not physically. lul) We could have gotten on a bus ride to go up to the arctic ocean, but that costs extra, and we're cheap.

I've been to all 50 states, and most of Canada as well.

Steve_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Steve_Evil

Driven across Europe a couple of times. Last one involved driving down from England into France, then down through Switzerland to Italy, up and over one of the world's twistiest mountain passes, through Austria and into the Czech Republic. We then drove back across Germany, did the Nurburgring and then the car died as we drove into Belgium. Had to dump it there and get the Eurostar train back to England. All in a car that cost £68, or about $100 at the time.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Red

Meh, I don't really take long road trips, although I do take long plane rides.

My record's 14 hours on a plane from LA to Hong Kong.

Not fun.
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By twenty0ne

I drove from Michigan to Cedar Point to Virginia to Washington DC. But that's about it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By oldschool

The longest drive I have undertaken is from Melbourne, Victoria to Monkey Mia (to swim with the wild dolphins) in Western Australia.  This trip was about 4,500 kilometres long and took 6 days.  It was part of a 4 month holiday.

As for the longest straight, uninterrupted drive I have completed, I drove from Forster-Tuncurry in northern New South Wales to Melbourne, Victoria.  That was 21 hours behind the wheel and about  1,300 kilometres in distance.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By hazelnutman

About 4 hours for me. Not too much of a car-traveler.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NoDeath

The longest I've probably been on is a 2 day trip with my dad from just south of Sydney up to a bit past Brisbane where my grandparents live, with an overnight as Scotts Head for some surfing. It was pretty fun overall. Longest plane trip has been Sydney to Dubai. 17 hours. Got to fly first class with Emirates though so it was probably the best time I'll ever have on a plane.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Pie

A 13 hour school trip from the northwest of england to somewhere in belguim. We took a pretty good coach and went across the channel on the euro tunnel. We only stopped about 4 times for 10 minutes.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By toowalrus
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota, Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma, Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo, Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana, Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana, Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa, Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa, Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake, Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika, Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica, Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport, Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport, Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina, Pasadena, Catalina, Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado, Ellisburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado, Larimore, Admore, Haverstraw, Chatanika, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika, Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City,
Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City.

Avatar image for respectable_vomit
Respectable_vomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drove through Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Poland and then all the way back again in ten days....

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mussbus999

Illinois to Gulf Shores, 14 hours tomorrow =]

Good 'Ole Spring Break!

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I went from the very eastern edge of Canada all the way to Toronto, it took about 2 days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Liverpool to Paris.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Western Michigan to Mid Alabama.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Osaladin

Fly from Jacksonville, FL almost every summer to Amman, Jordan, that trip usually takes about a day and a half all told, flight time about 16 hours all together, 13 hours nonstop from Chicago to Amman. I hate that flight so much, but then again, I've never flown business class.

RogueBomber12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By RogueBomber12

Massachussetts to Florida 24 hr. drive. Watched the lord of the rings trilogy in the back with my brothers, best way to past the time.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RandomHero666

Roughly 8 hours is my record, but later this year me and my brother will be driving to Rome, from England.
And we have to get there within 4 days.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MC_Izawa

San Antonio to Vero Beach, FL

Took three days.
Left in the evening, made it to Morgan City, LA.
Got to Tallahassee, FL the next day.
Then to Vero on the last.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ht101

My record is 12 hours which is going from Kansas City to Wilmar, Minnesota for the Sonshine Music Festival.  That was a pretty fun trip and I think everyone needs to go on a long road trip at least once in their life.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By CoolDrMoney

The farthest my family would drive was from Massachusetts to New Jersey, which was never a very long trip. Long enough to drain the batteries in the Gamegear though....

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crunchUK

gatwick-leeds haha

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Karmum

Probably ranging into the 6 hour mark, when I was a kid. Traveled across the North East, and I do recall traveling to Maine at one point.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By JonathanMoore

I went from England to Scotland and that took around 12-13 hours.

-- God Bless.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I'm from Milwaukee also but the farthest road trip I've been on is from Milwaukee to Detroit.

Every other time I guess I would just fly.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fini_fly

I've driven from Toronto, Ontario to Paddle Prairie, Alberta (about 4000 km). I've done it twice and get to do it again in a month and a half. Takes 3 days along the Trans-Canada Highway.

Jeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeffery

2 day travel to Sweden to Bosnia.
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By JokerSmilez

With my parents, drove across northern US and then back across southern Canada (started from Toronto).

With me driving, drove from Toronto to NYC and then back again a little over 24 hours later. Left NYC at about 11pm and got back to Toronto around 10am. Only took about an hour or so break each way to take a quick power nap. Fun stuff.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fwylo

4 days from Edmonton to Toronto and dipping down into Northern U.S.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

35 hours on a coach (with 2 hr ferry in the middle) 

Taborlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Taborlin

Uhm, Belgium to somewhere in the south of France, it took around 15 hours a day for 2 days.