• 58 results
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Aurelito

Recently, I've been losing my faith in something and I can't define it. God or Religion? in my opinion, it's stupid to deny existence of a supernatural power and rely the humanity's nature on simple and maybe vulnerable coincidences that mostly cause disaster. if human's basis is based on disaster, and it has this very, very superb interesting design, so why there isn't more disasters occurring to evolve humanity. why most of these disasters cause cancer instead of evolution? I'm infatuated in nature, more theology-wise than science-wise (but I'm interested in neither of them anyway), and I've found it so mannercrafty and I can't let go of my faith in a creator. I'm not against religion too, but when I take a look at the history I encounter with a bunch of severe disasters cause by religion, (atheism caused most of them, interestingly) and I suddenly get exhausted of humanity affairs. As I said, I'm not interested in atheism since I'm not a geek and I observe both empty and poured half of a glass. I think it's better to believe in a creator (no matter how he did it, I'm not into creating a universe on my own yet. a good puzzle game maybe) and if you want to thank him, you can do it directly without blabbering in foreign languages. 

That's it.

PS: watch "The Onion Movie". it's super awesome!

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Aurelito

Recently, I've been losing my faith in something and I can't define it. God or Religion? in my opinion, it's stupid to deny existence of a supernatural power and rely the humanity's nature on simple and maybe vulnerable coincidences that mostly cause disaster. if human's basis is based on disaster, and it has this very, very superb interesting design, so why there isn't more disasters occurring to evolve humanity. why most of these disasters cause cancer instead of evolution? I'm infatuated in nature, more theology-wise than science-wise (but I'm interested in neither of them anyway), and I've found it so mannercrafty and I can't let go of my faith in a creator. I'm not against religion too, but when I take a look at the history I encounter with a bunch of severe disasters cause by religion, (atheism caused most of them, interestingly) and I suddenly get exhausted of humanity affairs. As I said, I'm not interested in atheism since I'm not a geek and I observe both empty and poured half of a glass. I think it's better to believe in a creator (no matter how he did it, I'm not into creating a universe on my own yet. a good puzzle game maybe) and if you want to thank him, you can do it directly without blabbering in foreign languages. 

That's it.

PS: watch "The Onion Movie". it's super awesome!

Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Chipset_Seven

I'd say there probably was a supreme being or creator.  But I've also heard the term God is dead - I think Friedrich Nietzsche said it first.  If God is dead, and this great experiment people call humanity is the result of his efforts, I'd say he did a pretty good job of getting the ball rolling (I guess that would have to be the big bang).  I won't argue with anyone, Atheists or otherwise, I'm too old for that.  I just think you have to be cautious in the physical world.  It is beautiful, but can also be very dangerous.     
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Famov

It is a common misconception that atheism is all about being a pessimist about the human condition, just as it is a misconception that secularism is left leaning. Neither of these things are remotely true.

It's only better to believe in a creator if you have been given sufficient evidence that there was a creator. The way you're talking, it's as if you are choosing to believe in God, and that makes no logical sense. We should believe in what we think is true rather than what we want to be true. 

And what we think is true should be directed by thoughtful analysis.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Suicrat

The notion that most of the religious calamities in history were caused by atheism is completely ludicrous and self-contradictory.

Also, if God were responsible for everything, then why did it give us AIDS and cancer, and not some virus that made us immune to disease? Faith doesn't sustain life on earth, reason does.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By raddevon

Optimism and pessimism become irrelevant when faced with the truth. Take this statement for example: we are at war. Is this optimistic or pessimistic? It is neither. It is simply a statement of fact. It may not be a pleasing fact, but it does not reflect any particular interpretation of events. Not all facts are pleasing; not all facts are dreadful. They are, however, true. The important thing is that you seek the truth not the conception of reality you find most pleasing.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

IN MY OPINION

Religion makes absolutely no sense. A lot of those that believe in God would tell you "He created the world and everything in it" and that "God loves us all." The latter of which is utter bull. If there is a God, and he happens to love us, why are there:

-AIDS?
-HIV?
-Diseases?
-Death in general?
-Disabilities?
-Failed births?

Not to mention a plethora of other things.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kmdrkul

Hurray for people trying to cram their beliefs down others' throats?

ezekielzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ezekielzero

its fine to believe what you want, personally i dont believe in a God in any sense rather than some event of creation eg big bang or other explaination of the existance of mass but to think that a being exists that created the earth and universe at a certain time rather than any other to be ludicrous, and i such im a great believer of cause and effect and determinism in a gerneral sense though i do find chaos theory to be quite interesting. and just for the record this is what happens when you have to brothers who studied philosophy at university

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aurelito
@natetodamax said:
"

IN MY OPINION

Religion makes absolutely no sense. A lot of those that believe in God would tell you "He created the world and everything in it" and that "God loves us all." The latter of which is utter bull. If there is a God, and he happens to love us, why are there:  -AIDS?-HIV? -Diseases?-Death in general?-Disabilities? -Failed births?  Not to mention a plethora of other things. "
We can claim that, though the creator is kind, something might slip through his hands (he doesn't have hand by the way, maybe he does but it's not my concern right now). or exactly, creator does not interfere, his laws does. that makes better sense but still, when I'm convinced that creator exists and you're convinced otherwise, we can't convince each other about our opinions. In other words, creator might be kind because we all enjoy our life on earth sometimes. if he wasn't kind and considerate or he never even existed, we couldn't enjoy at all. (I'm sure there's a scientific proof about enjoyment but it doesn't matter. we can't enjoy by supernatural radiations).
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ
@Suicrat said:
" The notion that most of the religious calamities in history were caused by atheism is completely ludicrous and self-contradictory.  Also, if God were responsible for everything, then why did it give us AIDS and cancer, and not some virus that made us immune to disease? Faith doesn't sustain life on earth, reason does. "
This in a nutshell. 
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Metric_Outlaw
@natetodamax said:
"

IN MY OPINION

Religion makes absolutely no sense. A lot of those that believe in God would tell you "He created the world and everything in it" and that "God loves us all." The latter of which is utter bull. If there is a God, and he happens to love us, why are there:  -AIDS?-HIV? -Diseases?-Death in general?-Disabilities? -Failed births?  Not to mention a plethora of other things. "
God does these things because that is the only way that people can find Christ. He is much wiser than any of us. Remember when you were little and your parents would spank you or tell you you couldn't have a candy bar and you thought they were being cruel and evil. Then when you get older you realize why they do it. That's like saying your parents don't love you because they gave you a spanking or a grounding.
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By slinky6
@Aurelito said:
" Recently, I've been losing my faith in something and I can't define it. God or Religion? in my opinion, it's stupid to deny existence of a supernatural power and rely the humanity's nature on simple and maybe vulnerable coincidences that mostly cause disaster. if human's basis is based on disaster, and it has this very, very superb interesting design, so why there isn't more disasters occurring to evolve humanity. why most of these disasters cause cancer instead of evolution? I'm infatuated in nature, more theology-wise than science-wise (but I'm interested in neither of them anyway), and I've found it so mannercrafty and I can't let go of my faith in a creator. I'm not against religion too, but when I take a look at the history I encounter with a bunch of severe disasters cause by religion, (*1 atheism caused most of them, interestingly) and I suddenly get exhausted of humanity affairs. As I said, #2 I'm not interested in atheism since I'm not a geek and I observe both empty and poured half of a glass. *3 I think it's better to believe in a creator (no matter how he did it, I'm not into creating a universe on my own yet. a good puzzle game maybe) and if you want to thank him, you can do it directly without blabbering in foreign languages.   That's it.  PS: watch "The Onion Movie". it's super awesome! "
I'll address these in order.

1)  I assume you're talking about the Hitler/Stalin were atheists argument.   First of all Hitler wasn't an atheist, he was Roman Catholic.   Second of all Stalin was definitely an atheist but it didn't cause the bad things he did.   He sought to abolish religion because he wanted to make the people worship him and the government.

2)  Suck it.

3)  Just because you think it's better to believe in a creator doesn't mean there's any reason to or that there's any evidence supporting one.
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By slinky6
@TimAllen624 said:
" @natetodamax said:
"

IN MY OPINION

God does these things because that is the only way that people can find Christ. He is much wiser than any of us. Remember when you were little and your parents would spank you or tell you you couldn't have a candy bar and you thought they were being cruel and evil. Then when you get older you realize why they do it. That's like saying your parents don't love you because they gave you a spanking or a grounding. "
My parents stoned my brother to death when he worked on a Sunday.
DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I don't believe if God or Religion, the whole idea of there being a supernatural being is just illogical to me. 

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By jonnyboy

It's not that I don't believe in God, I just don't like him very much.

Monty344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Monty344
@TimAllen624 said:
" @natetodamax said:
"

IN MY OPINION

God does these things because that is the only way that people can find Christ. He is much wiser than any of us. Remember when you were little and your parents would spank you or tell you you couldn't have a candy bar and you thought they were being cruel and evil. Then when you get older you realize why they do it. That's like saying your parents don't love you because they gave you a spanking or a grounding. "
I think the reasoning for there not being a god for natural things like death is foolish thing to do. I also think that blindly believing in anything on the basis that doing something is wrong just because it is. The books of the new testament were hand pick by the Romans because they were the popular books. The books in the new testament was written hundreds of years after the death of the apostles. The Bible has been translated and rewritten several times. A lot of people put a lot of faith in something they think is divine text but is really written by men. I could go on longer but I'm going to spare you. I'm not trying to change minds, just trying to get people to educate themselves. I'm not saying faith is bad, just be educated about it for yourself. Don't take my word for it go find out about it yourself. 

Also for the gentleman's personal dilemma you seem to define your faith as god. I don't seem to quite understand your question, but as far as I can tell you always have one constant while other idea's about how the constant works is ever changing. The constant being god and changing idea's being the way god works. Understanding god through nature and vice versa. 

p.s. watching the onion movie now.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@Suicrat said:
" The notion that most of the religious calamities in history were caused by atheism is completely ludicrous and self-contradictory.  Also, if God were responsible for everything, then why did it give us AIDS and cancer, and not some virus that made us immune to disease? Faith doesn't sustain life on earth, reason does. "
I didn't know people thought religious calamities were caused by atheists. But what religious people have done is completely pointless to discuss when discussing a topic such as the existence of supernatural, or the merit of that religion and you know it.  

And God is not responsible for everything. Christians don't believe that. People are responsible for their actions, not God.  

And lastly, don't even try to say it is unreasonable to believe in supernatural things, you won't get very far. Many of the brightest minds, especially in philosophy, believe in supernatural things. They are far from unreasonable. 
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@natetodamax said:
"

IN MY OPINION

"The Problem of Evil" has never been an issue in the realm of theology. The existence of an all good and loving God and evil is not a paradox or even an argument against the existence of God. It had some merit before the 70's, so if we were still in 1972, you might have a good argument here. Unfortunately, this came out. 
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Suicrat
@lilburtonboy7489 said:
" @Suicrat said:
I didn't know people thought religious calamities were caused by atheists. But what religious people have done is completely pointless to discuss when discussing a topic such as the existence of supernatural, or the merit of that religion and you know it.   And God is not responsible for everything. Christians don't believe that. People are responsible for their actions, not God.   And lastly, don't even try to say it is unreasonable to believe in supernatural things, you won't get very far. Many of the brightest minds, especially in philosophy, believe in supernatural things. They are far from unreasonable.  "
I didn't think so either, until Aurelito said as much in his initial post. My point about viruses and calamities was not "they're part of nature, so that if nature is evil and God exists and God created God then God is bad". My point was that any progress in the combating calamities, and towards prosperity, creativity, and productivity are the product of rational thinking, and that the destructive elements that exist within human nature that precipitate man-made calamities (such as genocide, tyranny, economic failure, et cetera) possess the commonality of an absence of reason.

And, burt, of course I know there are many brilliant and bright minds who have had faith in things they could not rationally prove, and that these people with these beliefs (I probably am one of them in some ways or others) are capable of brilliant ideas and innovations. You are one of those people, and I have a great deal of respect for you.

I try to separate the argument from the person though (and sometimes I fail). I do not fault a person who denies an axiom for their mistake, I fault their mistake and try to correct it (and I hope as intellectual cohorts, they do the same when I err), and in the case of something supernatural "existing", it breaks the law of identity. You have to change the meanings of the words to combine "God" and "exists" in a sentence and expect it to hold up to sentential logic. "Supernatural" as a word is kind of self-contradictory. A thing cannot be "above" nature, the idea behind the word "above" exists only in nature. So yes, I have a great deal of respect for many minds who accept a plurality of logical falsehoods (and like I said, if we really tried to dig deep, you'd find a good amount of contradictions in my ideas and beliefs), but part of self-improvement is casting off the contradictory, I try to do it myself, as well as help others. Sometimes I use overly inflammatory rhetoric though, and for that I try to apologize to all I offend, including you and Aurelito. I apologize to both of you.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adam_grif

Recently, I've been losing my faith in something and I can't define it. God or Religion? in my opinion, it's stupid to deny existence of a supernatural power and rely the humanity's nature on simple and maybe vulnerable coincidences that mostly cause disaster. if human's basis is based on disaster, and it has this very, very superb interesting design, so why there isn't more disasters occurring to evolve humanity.

What? What are you talking about? Human's basis based on disaster? Please think about restructuring this section for clarity, because I have no clue what you're talking about here. Why did you mention evolution and disaster?

why most of these disasters cause cancer instead of evolution?

Evolution is "the change in allele frequency (how often it occurs) amongst a population over successive generations". Do you know what a gene is? For each gene, sometimes there are alternate versions of it in different people, say hair color. Some people have the gene for  red hair, some for brown and so on. These genes are very similar with slight differences, and the slight differences in different people are known as "alleles". Pretty much the same gene, but a different version.

New alleles can arise from mutations. Mutations are alterations in the genetic sequence from parent cell to child cell. When your cells replicate themselves, they make about 1 mistake per 100,000 base pairs they copy. There are approximately 3 billion base pairs in a given human cell, so this results in about 30,000 mutations per cell division. Your DNA has error correcting mechanisms that fix most of them, but usually misses about 3 mutations total.

The vast majority of all these mutations are harmless. Most DNA does nothing, so called "Junk DNA", so most mutations are "silent mutations" - a change in genetic code that does not affect the outcome of the cell. Occasionally, a mutation will be harmful. These can manifest in cancers, wherein cells which usually destroy themselves after a certain time (after their lifecycle is over) don't, and instead keep on replicating over and over. 

But considering the sheer number of mutations in your body every hour, the fact that you don't usually get cancers until you're 40 years of age or over is a testament the idea that, in fact, most mutations are not harmful.

A typical fetus will have dozens of mutations, so evolution is happening. If you imagine evolution to be like pokemon, then it's no-wonder you're disappointed by this. But evolution isn't like pokemon, and it's not always for the better. It's not some kind of ladder that we're climbing with an end goal in mind, it's directionless and never-ending. 

I'm infatuated in nature, more theology-wise than science-wise (but I'm interested in neither of them anyway), and I've found it so mannercrafty and I can't let go of my faith in a creator.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on using a word that I had to look up in the dictionary (something that doesn't happen often), mannercrafty. Unfortunately, it appears to not exist in any dictionary, nor does it yield results on wiktionary. Once again, I'm at a loss for what you're trying to say here.

I'm not against religion too, but when I take a look at the history I encounter with a bunch of severe disasters cause by religion, (atheism caused most of them, interestingly) and I suddenly get exhausted of humanity affairs.

You just said:

- I look at history and see severe disasters caused by religion
- Atheism caused the disasters caused by religion

Your post has hit a new level of incoherence.

As I said, I'm not interested in atheism since I'm not a geek and I observe both empty and poured half of a glass.

I get the feeling English isn't your first language, possibly not even your second. Atheism isn't just for geeks, although there's certainly no argument here that stupid people seem to gravitate towards organized religion.

I think it's better to believe in a creator (no matter how he did it, I'm not into creating a universe on my own yet. a good puzzle game maybe) and if you want to thank him, you can do it directly without blabbering in foreign languages.

You believe it's better to believe in a creator. That's nice. I don't really see issues with people thanking god in foreign languages.
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alex_Murphy
@Aurelito said:
"why there isn't more disasters occurring to evolve humanity."

It's happening all the time, but evolution happens on a time scale that we, as humans, are not familiar with.

@Aurelito said:
"I encounter with a bunch of severe disasters cause by religion, (atheism caused most of them, interestingly) "
Things like the crusades and 9-11 were done in the name of religion. Evil things done by atheists were done for reasons besides atheism.

You should check out the book The God Delusion.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By teh_destroyer

As I have, I have lost faith within faith itself.  The past 5 years for me have been a real bitch.

Mithlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mithlas

It looks like a lot of the "conversation" here devolved from intelligent, dignified discussion, but I'd like to take a few steps back and bring back this old quote that I like to point out whenever people start arguing about the validity of religion:

Respect the gods, but do not rely on them.

Generally attributed to Miyamoto of Musashi, but it's not actually certain who started it. The point I try to make with this is that, as a starting point at least, it should not matter whether or not there is a god, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the idea. Nobody is demanding that you either swear allegiance to any god(s), nor that you swear off god(s); don't think or act like you have to defend your current stance, you're not being attacked. Yes, evil has been done in the name of religion (don't try "the crusades", religion was at best an excuse for the wrestling of economic control of trade routes there), but evil has also been done completely apart from religion in things like science or pride (I point to the Japanese biological testing in occupied China in WW2 as one example).

Now that I've said that, I think that either party has valid, logical arguments. There may be a god, and it may sit back and watch as bad things happen. As an intelligent person, I cannot try to say that this proves there is no god - my parents taught me to ride a bicycle when I was a child, I fell and skinned my knees and I hurt. Part of the lesson they taught wasn't just how to keep my balance and pedal, but to get back up even after injury and get going again. On the "flip side of the coin", I have deep concerns about the idea of a being that is all-knowing and all-powerful yet sits back and allows evil to perpetuate without any signs of trying to cut off that destructive growth itself - I say this because, from my moral standpoint, I believe that a "good" moral creature (whether human or god) has a duty to do something about what evil one knows about. I also acknowledge that not everything's going to be fixed by god(s) because that would infringe on Free Will which humans obviously have, so there's always going to be something small.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By eroticfishcake

You don't have to be a geek to be athiest. Most religious wars are due to religious differences (or religion itself being exploited) rather than the absence of a God.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By grilledcheez

My argument against "God" is if it existed, and I have to believe in it etc., and it is responsible for everything on earth....why did it give me the inability to believe in it?  It never even gave me the chance to go to heaven! Lol

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Hyuzen

Honestly this isn't the best place for a theological discussion, it'd be better to talk to a pastor/priest/religious figurehead about these matters rather than posting on a video game forum looking for supposed expert advice from people who are generally anything but.

Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Amorfati
@Aurelito said:
if human's basis is based on disaster, and it has this very, very superb interesting design, so why there isn't more disasters occurring to evolve humanity.
Are you forgetting the 100,000 years where the species was starved and driven to near extinction? When the vast majority of children died and nobody would live beyond 25?
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aurelito

@Hyuzen said:

" Honestly this isn't the best place for a theological discussion, it'd be better to talk to a pastor/priest/religious figurehead about these matters rather than posting on a video game forum looking for supposed expert advice from people who are generally anything but. "

I'm not very confident about it myself, but see, there is not a good community on the internet that is devoted completely to religious discussions. this is my post wall, and I can post whatever I want on this wall, and attach it to off-topic section that itself is an appropriate place for posting these things so don't "this is a gaming website fo lord's sake" me.

---------------------------
I appreciate everyone for commenting about my... misery and parole me for my weak vocabulary because as every intelligent person notices, English is not my native language and not even my second language that I tend to speak often. simultaneously, Nobody taught me English and nothing ever stimulated me to go for it.  and as result, this is what happens when a guy learns a language by himself so pleeeeease excuse me for poverty of my the grammar and vocabulary.

Everyone misunderstood my statement at the first post. I said " disasters caused by religion, (atheism caused most of them, interestingly)". means that a religion called atheism (In my opinion) caused 60 million deaths and casualties, and this event occurred in less than 70 years ago. everybody denies that, and it annoys me.

Someone suggested me to read "God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. As a sick and tired guy, I gave it up. he was sophisticating, trying to quote Einstein on his own purpose. what a lame. he tried convince the readers that by "Did guy have choice in creating the universe", he was using god in a metphorical term. it's no different from a muslim trying to convince other asshole/muslims that Einstein was a Shi'a by"dis"quoting his sentences, it's as irrational, sophisticating, and illogical as Dawkins pretends to do. I'm tired of every religion, including atheism, islam, christianity, judaism, buddhaism (buhddaism, whatsoever), and everything else, I want the truth, and it's covered in and pile of shit named humanity.

@Amorfati said:

" @Aurelito said:

if human's basis is based on disaster, and it has this very, very superb interesting design, so why there isn't more disasters occurring to evolve humanity.
Are you forgetting the 100,000 years where the species was starved and driven to near extinction? When the vast majority of children died and nobody would live beyond 25? "
No, I'm not saying that.

Cheers, if cheerfulness still exists.
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Spike94

Interesting read. Personally, I have no doubt about God. The personal relationship I have with Him and certain things in my life thus far (and to come) that have happened, I have no other explanation for. There is also a certain peace and just...fullfillment and happiness on a daily basis I experience that leaves me without a doubt. Also, the things He has helped me through, as well as so many other things I can go on about, are more reasons. When I go to church or youth group, His presence is just tremendously felt. Goodluck with your struggles, and if it means anything to you, you'll be in my prayers. =)
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aurelito
@Spike94 said:
" Interesting read. Personally, I have no doubt about God. The personal relationship I have with Him and certain things in my life thus far (and to come) that have happened, I have no other explanation for. There is also a certain peace and just...fullfillment and happiness on a daily basis I experience that leaves me without a doubt. Also, the things He has helped me through, as well as so many other things I can go on about, are more reasons. When I go to church or youth group, His presence is just tremendously felt. Goodluck with your struggles, and if it means anything to you, you'll be in my prayers. =) "
I'm not trying to drag you away, but christian god is a DELUSION. in my opinion, if god exists, he's greater, much more greater than having a personal relationship with a human. as Einstein said, Personal god doesn't exist, it's a delusion. improve your beliefs.

Cheers.
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Spike94
@Aurelito said:
" @Spike94 said:
" Interesting read. Personally, I have no doubt about God. The personal relationship I have with Him and certain things in my life thus far (and to come) that have happened, I have no other explanation for. There is also a certain peace and just...fullfillment and happiness on a daily basis I experience that leaves me without a doubt. Also, the things He has helped me through, as well as so many other things I can go on about, are more reasons. When I go to church or youth group, His presence is just tremendously felt. Goodluck with your struggles, and if it means anything to you, you'll be in my prayers. =) "
I'm not trying to drag you away, but christian god is a DELUSION. in my opinion, if god exists, he's greater, much more greater than having a personal relationship with a human. as Einstein said, Personal god doesn't exist, it's a delusion. improve your beliefs. Cheers. "

Haha, no worries, I am not dragged away in the least bit. You have not swayed my beliefs whatsoever. A delusion, it is not. I guess we can agree to disagree at this point, it would seem neither of us will be able to sway the other in any way. Thanks for the reply.
Cheers to you as well. =)
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Absurd
@Aurelito said:
. As I said, I'm not interested in atheism since I'm not a geek and I observe both empty and poured half of a glass.
What does being a geek have to do with Atheism, Mr.I'm-Not-A-Geek-But-I-Post-On-A-Gaming-Forum?
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aurelito
@Absurd said:
" @Aurelito said:
. As I said, I'm not interested in atheism since I'm not a geek and I observe both empty and poured half of a glass.
What does being a geek have to do with Atheism, Mr.I'm-Not-A-Geek-But-I-Post-On-A-Gaming-Forum? "
So according to Mr "Absurd' every games is a geek, but if I did the maths right, with this statement, a geek is a guy who posts religious topics on a gaming forum. thanks.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Absurd
@Aurelito said:

" @Absurd said:

" @Aurelito said:
What does being a geek have to do with Atheism, Mr.I'm-Not-A-Geek-But-I-Post-On-A-Gaming-Forum? "
So according to Mr "Absurd' every games is a geek, but if I did the maths right, with this statement, a geek is a guy who posts religious topics on a gaming forum. thanks. "
Oh, so you come on gaming forums to talk about religion rather than games?

Edit: Maybe I should clarify, In my vocabulary, I see a geek as someone who is involved/interested in games, technology and the likes. I don't really see it as an insult.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By jakob187

You know what the great thing about beliefs are? 

They are yours...not someone else's. 

So...whatever all the people in this thread have to say...which I'm sure it a bunch of critical and negative opinions about God, religion, etc... 

...it doesn't matter, because they aren't you. 

I have my own faith, my own beliefs, my own ideas, and they are mine.  Whether they conform to portions or wholes of religions or ideologies is my deal, not someone else's. 

Find YOUR faith, and fuck what all these people have to say.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aurelito
@jakob187 said:
" You know what the great thing about beliefs are?  They are yours...not someone else's.  So...whatever all the people in this thread have to say...which I'm sure it a bunch of critical and negative opinions about God, religion, etc...  ...it doesn't matter, because they aren't you.  I have my own faith, my own beliefs, my own ideas, and they are mine.  Whether they conform to portions or wholes of religions or ideologies is my deal, not someone else's.  Find YOUR faith, and fuck what all these people have to say. "
So what about unity?

@Absurd said:

" @Aurelito said:

" @Absurd said:

" @Aurelito said:

So according to Mr "Absurd' every games is a geek, but if I did the maths right, with this statement, a geek is a guy who posts religious topics on a gaming forum. thanks. "
Oh, so you come on gaming forums to talk about religion rather than games?  Edit: Maybe I should clarify, In my vocabulary, I see a geek as someone who is involved/interested in games, technology and the likes. I don't really see it as an insult. "
Interestingly, in mine, it's referred to a unsociable guy. weird. fuck oxford. (I'm serious).
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By jkz

People tend to get aggravated when I explain to them that I find both faith and atheism somewhat ridiculous. Atheism seems to be the more outlandish of the two beliefs, since it seems entirely believable that one would find solace in believing in something. My question to people is always, how are you sure? There is absolutely no way to know for sure whether there is or isn't a superior being, or a "creator." 

My view has always been that its something that I don't worry about, and I live my life in a way that pleases myself. If there is a god, I refuse to believe that one who is so "all-knowing" and "above temptation," and all the other possible descriptors used for god, could be so egocentric and jealous that he requires you to go daily to the church and bow before him, expressing your love and humility.

That's only my view, and its one that many people would find hard to find satisfaction in. For me, I prefer to live my life, and let everything else worry about itself.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By turbomonkey138

You guys must admit some of the rules Christians base their life's on are good . If anything it a better way of living than being a atheist drunk

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aurelito
@turbomonkey138 said:
" You guys must admit some of the rules Christians base their life's on are good . If anything it a better way of living than being a atheist drunk "

Like permanent marriage? lol.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Suicrat
@turbomonkey138 said:
" You guys must admit some of the rules Christians base their life's on are good . If anything it a better way of living than being a atheist drunk "
What the fuck are you talking about? Alcohol was discovered by monks. And I'm an atheist who doesn't drink, so, again, I ask, what the fuck are you talking about?
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Undeadpool
@Aurelito:

Ever watch the Futurama episode with a god-being in it? Give that a go.

This might seem sarcastic, but it's absolutely serious, I think that episode handled religion and "god" extremely well and extremely respectfully. I myself have been going through a crisis of faith and it's kinda slim pickins, but when you come down to it you can either believe in what you can't prove or you can't. That's the essence of it.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By guiseppe
@turbomonkey138 said:
Most christians ignore parts of the bible they don't like, and just go with what suits them. Oh sure there are the insane super-christians that follow the bible word by word, which would make ones life miserable. Anyway, There are so many nono's in the bible that to base ones life upon it's rules would be damned near impossible. So it makes no sense to me. I mean for example, we have homosexual priests now, well according to the bible, he's going to hell. Ever eat more than you needed to? Hell. Ever pleasure yourself? Hell. Ever got aroused by an attractive woman? HELL! Ever told a lie? H E L L!  It just seems like one big scare-tactic to me, which is what I think it is. A form of trying to control the population by use of fear.

Then again, I don't know. No one can know for sure. There is this kind of scary quote: "The devil's greatest trick was convincing the world he doesn't exist". Because you know, what if?
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#43  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I don't understand how a rational person can believe in a God.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#44  Edited By Vinchenzo

Yea... these religious threads need to be locked immediately.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aurelito
@creamypies said:
" I don't understand how a rational person can believe in a God. "
Because there is a number of rational proofs over the existance of god, but they're so childish. like regularity of human's face (it's not even regular, but somehow it is). and having one gentials for multiplie puposes. the second one makes sense to me even if it's exceedingly childish, but if we had two gentials, one for urinating and one for sexual acts, we could survive living in this earth as well as a man with one gentials with two purposes. so why there isn't anyone with two gentials still living?  it's irrational while it's rational.

@Vinchenzo said:
" Yea... these religious threads need to be locked immediately. "

These religious topics? there's another kind of religious threads that I'm not aware of?
N3onThr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By N3onThr33
@natetodamax said:
"

IN MY OPINION

Judgment maybe? For being villainous?
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By baconbits33

Please just stfu, I mean.... does anyone even care?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ajamafalous

Babelfish?

@turbomonkey138 said:

Glad to see the trolls are out in full effect.
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@turbomonkey138 said:
Not all atheists have the same lifestyle of Christopher Hitchens...
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By adam_grif
@turbomonkey138 said:
Being Christian isn't equitable to living in complete accordance with Christian principles. Most Americans are Christian, yet America has similar or higher rates of crime than the UK, France, Norway, Australia and New Zealand (crime RATES, as in, per capita), where Atheism is far more common. 

That some principles of Christianity might be considered good by people here is not an argument for Christianity. It has nothing that secular humanism doesn't from a practical standpoint.