Losing weight and getting fit with other bomb duders

• 100 results
kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I have a feeling that during a series of Alt-F1, D+D had a running club on the go where we could all dive in and join along (not that I ever did ha)

Anyway, I've recently started on a weight loss and running kick (lost 12 lbs in 7 weeks, started at 17 stone and just ran my first 5K non-stop this weekend) and wondered if any other duders were doing the same, were already runners or if anyone had always wanted to start but hadn't. I've got a blog and a link to my site is in my profile if you're interested in how I'm getting on.

Would anyone be keen to start a Giant Bomb run club? Or know if one is already started? Would be ace for us all to cheer each other on and log our miles together. Plus I can imagine it being another way for those without streaming gear to fund raise when extra life comes around. I could even imagine some kind of challenges we could set like running virtual world distances.... the Skyrim 10K from Whiterun to Windhelm? The GTA 5 marathon?

Let me know your thoughts and I'd love to kick something like this off with anyone who is interested!

Cheers,

Andy

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

How often are you running?

GettIng to 5k in only 7 weeks is unreal, I hate running can't stand it. Bores me to tears.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatlad: hey! 3 times a week and just started with interval training. It's supposed to be 10 weeks, but Saturday was the end of week 7 and I just wanted to see how far I could go! It wasn't fun at all I can tell you, but with a beast or bombcast on it's fun!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ripelivejam

ive managed to lose 80 lbs since last july but still pretty fucking fat. i would love to run but i have an issue where my legs start to feel like theyre going to sleep sometimes if i walk longer distances (something i really know i should get looked at, i know). would be all for this, need to start exercising more. i dont really have issues cycling, oddly enough; it's just been raining quite a bit lately.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Heartagram

I weighed 281 about 5 years back. I came out of the closet and decided it was time to also come out of my fat lifestyle. I'm now down to 204 and counting...My lowest was 186 but you know...life happens. Would be happy to post progress pictures if you guys have any interest. I still would like to lose another 30 or so and dedicate myself to really getting in great shape. I'm happy with my progress, but it definitely sucks when you go on dates and people expect this in shape guy..and you get my loose skinned belly.

I don't run typically...but I do DDP Yoga, Weights, Spinning, and the elliptical. Always looking for new ways to stay in shape.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@ripelivejam: Wow! That's super impressive man!

If I may ask what did you do to achieve that result? Was it an exercise program or diet or some combination of both?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ripelivejam

@slag: thanks. nothing really regimented, it's mostly me very loosely doing low carb and lower calorie in general. used to go out to eat/fast food like 2 or 3 times a day, on top of snacking a helluva lot (like half or a whole bag of chips in a day snacking). been cycling off and on but exercise is definitely an area i need to work on, as well as getting stricter with dieting (i'm ostensibly trying to stick to a keto diet but haven't been very good about it).

i'll see, maybe i can get to a place where i can jog/run without issues again. i would totally be down for something like this thread suggests if i can, or maybe exercise more and follow along in spirit. :)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I trained for and ran a half marathon last year but actually managed to get fatter. Running sure makes you hungry and I have no self control over my diet.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@ripelivejam: I don't know if it makes sense in your situation, but you might look at swimming too if you have access to a pool. A lot of ppl I know who have trouble running (joint pain etc), that may or may not hep in your case. I sued to swim all the time and that was easily when I was in the best shape of my life (downside of swimming is that makes you really hungry).

The reason I asked was that I gave up fast food cold turkey last month, and while I haven't had any weight loss benefit to speak of I definitely feel better. Just trying to figure out what else I should do that I'll know I'll actually be able to stick to (that's always hard part for me is maintaining the new habits).

Congrats again on your success, it's really inspiring!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm just here to say DDP Yoga, swimming, and biking are quality things to do.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have any lifting goals? One of my New Year's Resolutions was to break 100kg on the bench-press.

I also swim in my spare time if I can. For me it's a very relaxing activity.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really go running but I started going to the gym in October and have lost 2 stone(roughly 12Kg or 28lbs according to google) and gained a lot of strength.

I hadn't been in 10 years exactly to the date which was crazy starting on the day I stopped exactly 10 years later without realising it.

I stopped when I was 16 because I dislocated my shoulder doing a shoulder press with dumbells, I then continued to dislocate my shoulder 7 more times(not at the gym) before getting keyhole surgery.

I ended up putting 5 stone on over 10 years and saw a photo of myself and just thought "I'm not having that".

I'm now going 5 days a week and it doesn't feel like a chore like it used to when I was 16, I'm really enjoying it, seeing and feeling the benefits.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Color me completely ignorant....what is DDP yoga? I have been lifting/walking recently and have been dropping some LBs, but I'd like to add a but more. I was a football/lacrosse player most of my life (30 now) and wouldn't mind looking into thing like yoga and what not but don't even know where to begin.

I could be completely wrong here but I would feel super out of place going to a yoga class not knowing shit.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seauton: If you want to get into Yoga, DDP Yoga is pretty much the perfect place to start. DDP was a wrestler who credits yoga for saving his body from wrestling. DDP Yoga is his yoga program. You give him some money, and he sends you a bunch of DVDs that show you how to yoga.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@seauton: The P90X yoga is another option if you can find the DVD somewhere. That's how I got into it. Hard as hell to start but you feel so damn good after you get done. I'm mostly a runner, but the miles take a toll on my shins and back and yoga helped get rid of those problems.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

A few years ago (4 or so now!) I went from 120kg to 100kg. Over time I ballooned back up to around 113kg.

Start of this year I've gone from 113kg to 107kg. I've stagnated at 107kg over the past month due to laziness, getting back to old habit, poor weather and health (though these are weaker excuses). My goal was to be at 105kg by April 5th so I think that is achievable with some hard work. I'm a teacher and we work over 4 terms, so my goal is to basically lose 5 or so kgs a term. I would like to be 90kg by the end of the year, but know a lot of hard work is required. I really need to get back into it.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

For someone like me who doesn't live near a gym, are there any good ways to exercise at home?

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Anyone have any lifting goals? One of my New Year's Resolutions was to break 100kg on the bench-press.

I also swim in my spare time if I can. For me it's a very relaxing activity.

I'm currently squatting 245 lbs (~111 kg) but I'd like to hit 3 plates (315 lbs or ~143 kg) sometime this year. I used to be able squat heavier than that 5 or 6 years ago but I've gone down from over 205 lbs to less than 185 lbs, which is a shame because I'm kind of tall and have difficulty putting on and keeping weight.

It would be nice to up my military press above just a plate too (135 lbs or ~ 61 kg).

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: I recommend kettle bells. You can do cardio and strength training with them and they take up no space.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

For someone like me who doesn't live near a gym, are there any good ways to exercise at home?

There are plenty of exercises you can do at home, with or without weights (By weights, I mean stuff like dumbbell). Jumping jacks, crunches, squats, push ups, leg lifts, running in place, lunges, stuff like that. Even things like stretching and yoga can work your muscles. Not that it is the most intense workout one could do, but you certainly feel it.

There are plenty of YouTube videos that have programs or routines if you prefer to follow something along. Or you could watch something, get an idea for a workout, and go do it yourself. If you have an iOS device, there are plenty of free/couple of dollar workout apps like SworkIt, FitStar, and Yoga Studio (for yoga obviously) that have videos and exercises you can follow along. If something looks too difficult or something you would rather not do (I'm personally not into exercises which require me to jump up in the air), you can either skip it or do something similar, like normal push ups instead of burpees.

So yeah, you can definitely workout at home. You may have to get creative or do some research first, but it's actually pretty easy.

afields101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a deck of cards that I do pushups to damn near every day, if I draw a 5 or lower I do that number in diamond pushups 6-10 normal or clap pushups, then the queen king and jack I usually will do a stamina test and do as many as I can till I drop when I draw those.

I also am pretty active at work, moving around in these server rooms is a workout sometimes, especially when replacing UPS batteries, shit can weigh a good 50+ pounds sometimes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I'll just say anyone looking for a good entry point into yoga the app Yoga Studio (on ios, android, and I believe PC) is great. They have a lot of different pre-set routines ranging from beginner to advance, 15min-1 hour etc. I tried DDP and didn't like it, and while p90x got me into yoga it really is jumping into the deep end.

I've been meaning to exercise more. I've always been a home fitness guy; the drive to the gym and other people are a turn off. I even have a workout plan all written up. It's a combination of P90x, P90x3, yoga, and kettlebell exercises. Right now there is a drum set in the area I would use and I've been saying for a month now I would break it down so I could start.

Also kettlebell is one of the best all around workouts you can do, just be sure to learn proper form for the swing. 21 Day kettlebell challenge (I believe is the name) is a cheap e-book that has a step by step guide, video link, and then daily workout plan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: I've mostly done home workouts and I would recommend yoga and kettlebells for the most bang for your buck for all around fitness. In my previous comment I have some recommendations of things I've used.

If you try kettlebells I would say start real light like 10 or 15 pounds so you can learn good form. Kettlebells also don't workout your chest or arms (pretty much the only thing they miss) so I would do some push up for those muscles if you feel like you want to hit those.

If you want some more suggestions, opinions, help with home workouts feel free to pm me!

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: there are excercises you can do with bells that will work your chest and arms. There are more to kettle bells than swings. Though they are a good place to start.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dookierope: True, but I'm not too familiar with them. I just do swings for cardio and core. Kettlebells can be pretty intimidating and turkish get-ups are pretty scary to me with the weights I have. What moves do you recommend for chest and arms?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@afields101: That card system sounds rad and I need to try that out.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@auto: Hey man! Cheers for that glad you like them. Oh not sure about the north run, it's a half marathon isn't it? I mean I only just hit my 5K. Maybe I could be ready for September but it's a bit of a big task i reckon. Are you running it?

Yeah running with the podcasts is ace as they're long enough that i dont need to worry about switching tracks when I'm out and just being able to laugh when you run makes the whole thing that little bit easier! Did you catch that Beastcast when that duder was doing a run and they kept giving him support throughout the podcast! I'd totally need that If i was doing the North Run!!! :)

jszyarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@csl316: I'd second ddp yoga its amazing since starting I'm down almost 60 lbs

On a side note didn't team GFB do some sort of fit club in one of their podcast with fitnes pal? if there was one with a bunch of other duders I'd join

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have been meaning to lose 10 pounds for a while now! Have a beach vacation in Cancun in June that I could stand to look better for. I've never been much of a runner, though; good luck!

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kilroyandy
jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try working out 3-4 times a week, two hours a day. Stair stepper, cycling, and sometimes the treadmill.

greylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By greylion

For the folks who struggle with exercise, there are other options. I'm currently in the process of losing weight myself but what I feel has helped me shed pounds the most wasn't exercise, but managing how much of what I eat through counting calories. There have been moments where I've stagnated or gained back a few pounds, sometimes you've just got some strong cravings and I've lapsed in fighting those cravings, but counting calories has seriously had the most significant results over any of my other weight loss attempts. This has been my progress so far:

No Caption Provided

At my heaviest I was around 240 pounds and I lost I'd say about 20 of those pounds by being away from college and not having to buy fried foods for the majority of my meals. I'd say I lost another 20 with some exercise and walking but those results weren't anything as consistent compared to when I started counting calories, and that loss happened over a long period of time.

There are lots of apps out there you can use to log what you eat and manage the amount of calories you eat, the one I like to use is called Fat Secret. Something I think is important to remember if you do want a fit looking body, is that the number on the scale isn't necessarily what you should care about, your body fat percentage also plays a role which is why building muscle is something to think about. You can weigh a lot but still look amazing because you've got more muscle than fat.

For exercise, something I hate about a lot of youtube videos for losing weight is that a lot of workouts are super intense as if you've already got 6 pack abs and are capable of climbing a mountain. As a fat person with a lot of body fat, it can be really hard to keep up and do these extreme workouts that I'm just not capable of doing without tiring out extremely fast. The best workouts I've found that I absolutely love, love, love are by hasfit. They're on youtube and they've also got a site, hasfit.com where they have amazing workout programs to follow for 30+ days for different experience levels. I seriously recommend going through the beginner programs if you struggle with exercising. They're very doable exercises for beginners and if you stick with it, the feeling of, err, just feeling how much you've improved in terms of how much easier it is to do an exercise, something you may have struggled with in the past, seeing and feeling that growth is incredible. I've been slacking off with exercise but I really recommend hasfit videos.

I find the best way to lose weight is definitely finding a balance between exercise and your diet instead of just relying on one.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always recommend cutting cheese and red meat from your diet. I did that and lost 6 stone (84lbs) over 2 years or so with very little exercise.

Good luck!

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jszyarto: maybe thats what I was thinking of instead of being on ALT F1, but yeah some kind of Bombduders Run Club would be ace. I'll even set it up if there was enough interest!

lostboyrufio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive managed to lose 80 lbs since last july but still pretty fucking fat. i would love to run but i have an issue where my legs start to feel like theyre going to sleep sometimes if i walk longer distances (something i really know i should get looked at, i know). would be all for this, need to start exercising more. i dont really have issues cycling, oddly enough; it's just been raining quite a bit lately.

Have that same leg issue myself and it only started creeping up when I started getting more active. It's scary to step off a treadmill and then feel like your legs are numb.

CaramelSledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaramelSledge

@ripelivejam said:

Have that same leg issue myself and it only started creeping up when I started getting more active. It's scary to step off a treadmill and then feel like your legs are numb.

This is the first time I've actually posted in the forums after being a member for a few years.

I'm a physical therapy student, and your symptoms sound very similar to a condition called Intermittent Claudication. It can be a common condition for people who are just starting an exercise regimen. Typical course of care is to make sure your blood pressure is under control medically and to start conservative care with a PT who can come up with interventions that will keep you active and help alleviate your symptoms.

I would say this is something you and @ripelivejam could absolutely be helped with if that turns out to be the case.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats on the weight loss, it's always a good thing to do it.

I absolutely hate running because it's hard to maintain breathing and I have the sense that I am ruining my articulations and will regret it later in life, so I mostly stick to bike and elliptical training for my cardio (which has the bonus that I can watch something at the same time).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After some 18 months lasting tendon inflammation (plantar fasciitis) I am finally in a position to increase my weekly running mileage again.

Ran marathons sub 3 hours before the lasting injuries started (which probably has been caused by the amount of running I did back then - averaging around 90 - 100 miles including multiple tempo/interval sessions a week) and added roughly 10 pounds in the past 1.5 years - due to the running background most people think that I am actually look more healthy now than I did then but personally I really want to get back to that shape again.

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sup guys I lost 160 pounds. Keto and weight lifting is all I'm doing really. I run 15 minutes after work outs but that is about it.

BFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never liked the term "weight loss". I firmly believe it should be called a "lifestyle change". Losing weight can be broken down to a simple process of taking in less calories than your body needs for the day. Keeping the weight off however, can be the real challenge. Taking a look at what changes you need to make in your life to live healthier is different for each person.

For me? Changing what I ate and HOW I ate was the first step. Removed processed foods from diet and stuck with fresh food. I steered more towards the Paleo style of diet as well. (For those of you who aren't familiar, its a low carb, meat, seafood, fruit and vegetable diet) For me, the biggest part of the diet change was cutting out processed foods, but more importantly was spreading out my food intake throughout the day. I always ate a ton of food for dinner. Now I have a bigger breakfast and eat smaller meals throughout the rest of the day. Doing these changes helped me lose weight. (250lbs to about 210).

After the diet change I then incorporated exercise. I also firmly believe that you should focus on one at time. Trying to do to much and you are asking for failure. I started with rowing and ellipticals. These were both lower impact exercises that minimized joint stress since I was carrying extra weight. After losing some more weight (down to about 190) I added kettlebells to my regimen. Finally, I started jogging. I've always wanted to run, but I realized by body wasn't ready for it.

3 years later, I run 6 days a week. I try to run at least 2-3 miles a day, but it's purely based off how I feel. I work full time and am also a father. During the workweek I run at 5:30am. (Its the only time I have!) Weekends is when I will run at a slower pace and go for 5-10 miles. I don't have a super restrictive diet anymore, but I do stay away from processed foods. My weight fluctuates from around 150-160lbs now. More importantly, I FEEL better and I don't worry about weight anymore. Now I'm setting the right example for my young son, so hopefully he doesn't endure the same struggles as a overweight youth that I did.

Congrats and good luck to everyone on their own journeys. Remember that what works for me won't necessarily work for you. I just happened to find the right balance for myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bfz Great read! As you stated it's more about a conscious decision to alter ones behavior and even small changes will lead to noticeable results in the long run.

SmallStep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If my allergies would allow me to run, I would. Anyway, I have stopped drinking any sweetened drinks and it helped me to lose a little. Im generally not tracking my weight, so I can't tell you how much, but I can feel it and see it. Good luck everybody!

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I started losing weight last August and I've managed to shed 60lbs. I'm still pretty big and because I've got developing arthritis in my ankles (don't get fat, kids) I can't exactly run. But I am doing DDP Yoga and it's helped so much and is a lot of fun to do so I'll be thinking of you duders while I'm on the mat!

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Eat only coffee and ice chips

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By personandstuff

I'm down to 200, which was my goal. I started at 294 about 11 months ago. I'll probably slow down and try to get down to 190 or 180 and then go into maintenance mode. Which is scary because I've lived my life "not caring" about my weight. Now I have something to take care of. Also, this has filled up space in my day and my headspace. I need to put something there.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NTM

Honestly, at this point, I think all that needs to be done is eating healthier. I don't imagine most of us sit down and do nothing 24/7, so there's some amount of exercise we get. I think when it comes to losing weight, you don't have to go run a mile a day or even work out at a gym, that's just to gain muscle. My biggest downfall is just what I eat. Heck, it's not good for me, but I think I could sit down for long hours in one sitting to play a video game, but if I ate better I'd be much healthier in weight. My main workouts are just from jumping jacks, walking the dog, and going to work where I do custodial work; I feel like I just need to eat healthier. I'm considered 'obese' (230Ibs and 5'11), but I don't really feel that fat where I have a hard time working out, and my energy levels aren't that low. My job has me lifting a lot, so I gain muscle that way. I do want to start eating healthier, though because it's not just about losing weight, but the kind of food you eat will also determine how you feel and how well your body works. That said, that'll never happen, so I'm going to go eat a chocolate donut now. :P Kidding. If I do ever give up on some of the crap I eat, one thing I won't give up on is mocha probably.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone wants some good routine exercises or workouts that are really good, message me. I'm a former mixed martial arts and jiu-jitsu instructor. I was a fighter and have cornered lots of people/helped them prepare for their fights. I would love to help.