#1 Posted by KingBonesaw (1296 posts) -

I decided to create this topic after listening to the latest Giant Beastcast wherein Dan Ryckert once again mentioned how he believes that Metal Gear is the single greatest story ever told. I'd like to know what your personal versions of this statement are. For example I firmly believe:

• That Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the best Metal Gear game (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is the best MGS game)
  • That the Wii U is Nintendo's third best home console (behind the SNES and the NES of course, jury is still out on Switch)
  • That Dream Theater is the greatest musical act of all time post-Beatles (John Petrucci is also the greatest guitarist who has ever lived)
  • That the moment when Big Boss Man straps Big Show's dad's coffin to his car and drives away with it is the greatest scene in television history

I'd like to keep this thread lighthearted but just in case any takes are too hot I've included this image from former Giant Bomb news editor/current Waypoint editor in chief Austin Walker

No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by Uppercaseccc (239 posts) -

Here is mine Ocarina of Time is a bad video game the contributes it made to video game development and game play are minimal at best

#3 Posted by Efesell (4083 posts) -

Every Mario game is boring as fuck.

#4 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8658 posts) -

I firmly believe Southland Tales is a thousand times better than Donnie Darko and that pepper on mac and cheese is an abomination of food.

#5 Posted by BaneFireLord (3542 posts) -
  • Crusader Kings II is the greatest game ever made.
  • Assassin's Creed Origins was the best game of 2017.
  • Ratatouille's the best Pixar movie and it ain't even close.
#6 Posted by BoOzak (2458 posts) -

I sort of agree with all your takes and i'm a big Metal Gear fan.

Heres mine:

• The mainline Metroid Prime games (1-3) are better than the mainline Metroid games. (M-ROS-SM-MF)
  • Burnout Paradice is the THPS5 of the Burnout Franchise.
  • The Witcher 2 is better than The Witcher 3.
  • All the Mass Effect games are good in their own way. (yes even Andromeda)

That's all I can think of right now, dont want to put any of you in a coma.

#7 Edited by Shiftygism (719 posts) -

- KingBoneSaw is mistaken, the greatest moment in television history was the debut of G.I.Joe: The Movie's musical intro.

- Daniel Bryan was always going to get a main event spot at Wrestlemaina xXx, and only a few people knew about it

...so they could not only work the fans into believing they were responsible for his success, but lure Dave Bautista back just so they could get a big name in the match when The Rock wasn't available. Bryan's program with Bray Wyatt along the way was to build Bray up for Cena and to eventually work the audience into a massive pop when Daniel turned against him.

People maintain the overwhelming reaction he was getting eventually earned him a spot, but that overwhelming reaction was completely orchestrated by the positioning of Bryan on television for months beforehand in a storyline similar to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin's where "the man" held him down all while he was featured front and center with Brie Bella on Total Divas which broadened his fanbase.

- WWE All Stars was the most revolutionary wrestling game since the debut of the much beloved AKI engine of the N64 era.

Despite many fans quickly dismissing it for its arcadey over the top nature, it was actually surprisingly deep as it separated characters into classes based on their fighting styles and mixed things up even further within each class allowing hybrid movesets which made each character unique and learning their ins and outs tremendously fun as most games of the genre were a pretty vanilla affair of entire rosters controlling the same.

- Halle Berry's Oscar win for Monster's Ball set off a massive chain reaction of unfortunate and terrible choices in geek television and cinema

...which doesn't anger me quite as much anymore after learning what a tremendous piece of shit Bryan Singer is. This take is far too hot to get into.

- Superman III isn't that bad, outside of that overly slapstick title sequence. Robert Vaughn's Ross Webster is a better Lex Luthor than Gene Hackman's.

- Pudding tasted better when it came in pop top tin cans.

#8 Posted by Rejizzle (1026 posts) -

• That Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the best Metal Gear game (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is the best MGS game)
  • That the Wii U is Nintendo's third best home console (behind the SNES and the NES of course, jury is still out on Switch)
  • That Dream Theater is the greatest musical act of all time post-Beatles (John Petrucci is also the greatest guitarist who has ever lived)
  • That the moment when Big Boss Man straps Big Show's dad's coffin to his car and drives away with it is the greatest scene in television history

I mean, these first two are just true. Last two I can barely make sense of, but I'll take your word for it.

Mine are:

• Suikoden 2 is the only good video game story. Every game that has a good story is prefaced with "for a videogame", except Suikoden 2.
  • The only video game adaptation that should happen is a Sly Cooper Saturday morning cartoon.
  • Sonic was never good, and even the 16-bit games were just sad attempts at recapturing the competence of Alex Kidd.
  • Sports sims suck, and the only reason the NHL games are any good is because they can't properly simulate the puck physics yet. After they figure that out the genre's dead.

Hope no one takes these too seriously, unless your a tv exec then the second one is extremely serious.

#9 Posted by Relkin (1037 posts) -

Metroid: The Other M is a good game.

Zelda: Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game.

Final Fantasy 12 is a CRPG.

#10 Posted by nutter (1641 posts) -

The best moment in televison history, by a goddamned mile, is “the phone call” from the final season of Breaking Bad.

While my favorite current act is Gogol Bordello (those live shows...), David Bowie is the greatest musical act of the last 100 years. The things he innovated, the things he recognized and absorbed, that run of Station to Station, Low, and Heroes...the man was amazing.

Metal Gear’s story is sometimes amazing, sometimes terrible, and always interesting. The dedication to the fiction is admirable and it’s one of my favorite stories in games. That said, it’s NOT the greatest story ever told by any stretch.

#11 Posted by Efesell (4083 posts) -

@rejizzle: Man I saw Suikoden 2 again relatively recently and was blown away at how it is one of the mostly bizarrely presented scripts I have ever seen.

And yet....still pretty effective.

#12 Edited by Brackstone (803 posts) -

Watch out yall, the trains pulling into Hot Take Central.

Assassins Creed 1 is better than any of the Ezio games.

The Mass Effect games are poorly written, and highly derivative to boot. Bioware romances feel exploitative.

Nier Automata isn't that well written, it's just presented in a novel way with bit of flair.

The Kane and Lynch games are great, and Kane and Lynch themselves are some of the best written characters in video games.

Horror games without significant combat mechanics almost categorically suck.

Dead Space 3 is pretty good.

GTAV is much worse than 4, Trevor is terribly written.

The Witcher 3 is a significant step backward from The Witcher 2 in terms of writing.

Resident Evil 4 and 5 are examples of designing a decent game around horrible core mechanics.

Now for the hottest take of them all:

Bipedal mechs that skate around on the ground instead of actually using their goddamned legs and walking are the actual lamest shit in the world. I don't want to feel weightless while playing as a giant mech, I want to be a giant stompy metal monstrosity. It feels like a complete betrayal of the fantasy of controlling a giant robot. I suspect it's mostly an excuse to not have to animate the damn things.

@shiftygism said:

- WWE All Stars was the most revolutionary wrestling game since the debut of the much beloved AKI engine of the N64 era.

Despite many fans quickly dismissing it for its arcadey over the top nature, it was actually surprisingly deep as it separated characters into classes based on their fighting styles and mixed things up even further within each class allowing hybrid movesets which made each character unique and learning their ins and outs tremendously fun as most games of the genre were a pretty vanilla affair of entire rosters controlling the same.

Oh hell yes. Take HHH and Jake the Snake in that game, both Grapplers. HHH has complex grapples that chain into each other, just as complicated as any fighting game combo out there. Jake the Snake doesn't have good chain grapples, but he does have a lot of moves that stun opponents like chest rakes and eye pokes, which you can use to link other grapples together into massive combos. Actually learning how to play each character takes some hefty investment, but it's also the easiest wrestling game to just jump into. It's nearly perfect.

And Revengeance totally is the best Metal Gear game in every respect. In terms of writing, the rest of the games range from good at best to embarrassing. Kojima's strength is in directing cutscenes, his writing skills are his worst asset.

#13 Edited by Zeik (5174 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bad game and the writing actually made me cringe on several occasions, and I will freely admit that my bar for acceptable writing is pretty low.

Dragon Age 2 has better gameplay than Dragon Age: Origins. I might even just say it's a better game overall.

If Nintendo never made another Mario game I'd be perfectly content.

Chrono Cross is a better and more interesting game than Chrono Trigger.

#14 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1596 posts) -

Skyward Sword is a better game than Breath of the Wild

#15 Edited by Dan_CiTi (5144 posts) -

G Gundam is the only good TV show ever. Heat End.

also AC: Origins is the first AC game with good gameplay. Even if the Ezio games are neat (still worth playing), the first game had a good premise but executed upon everything badly, and the Homestead in 3 was easily the best part and those games need way more of that. Black Flag had a a fun premise but too many repetitive bad missions to really stand up to scrutiny as well.

Triforce of the Gods 2 is the best Zelda game that isn't called Okami.

The "M" in Metroid: Other M stands for Muffin.

Old sports games (ones that have to do real sports, not the Mario stuff) suck and the only good ones are the latest generation of FIFA games and NFL Blitz. oh and Virtua Tennis is sick.

The Beatles were a really good band but so overrated they have a weird tyrannical reign over pop music, and the idea that almost anything they did (besides a handful of songs) is the "best" anything is sad and an enormous disservice to everything about music.

#16 Posted by Turambar (8251 posts) -

I just woke up and y'all are forcing me to go back to bed.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#17 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (7817 posts) -
@turambar said:

I just woke up and y'all are forcing me to go back to bed.

This. Except I actually do need to go to bed, so this thread is helping with that.

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15571 posts) -

Oh, hot takes you say? Well then. I apologize in advance.

• Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bunch of aggravating, self-indulgent wankery barely pretending to be a video game, and the fact that people held it up (at the time) as being both a satisfying conclusion to the series and a high point for storytelling in the medium of games is madness. Like, it's funny when Dan says that Metal Gear is the greatest story ever told because it's such a ridiculous, myopic, quintessentially *Dan* take. It's more depressing when you remember people were throwing around only slightly less hyperbolic statements about MGS 4 a decade ago. Oh, and Nuts and Bolts was robbed for GOTY 2008.
  • Baldur's Gate and its sequel are still the best games Bioware has ever made.
  • On that note, I'd much rather play Dragon Age II again than put any more time towards finishing DA: Inquisition.
  • Bethesda should no longer get a free pass for their games' mediocre writing and mechanics just because they're the only studio who makes those kinds of ridiculous open world sandboxes. Fallout: New Vegas is proof that someone else can make a significantly more interesting, better written take on that style of RPG at the cost of being slightly more constrained.
  • I think the inherent structure of the Metroidvania genre is not, in and of itself, an especially compelling trait.
  • Pokemon games should include a *hard* mode aimed at people over the age of 7.
#19 Edited by TobbRobb (6523 posts) -
  • Journey is the closest we've ever been to a perfectly executed game.
  • GTA 4 is awful and I see little good in it other than the look of the city itself.
  • Fallout: New Vegas is the only well written Bethesda open-world game.
  • Nero is fun to play and DMC 4 isn't nearly as bad as it's reputation.
  • The Last of Us is a terrible stealth game, but everything else about it is excellent.
  • I can't stand healthbars and bullet sponge enemies in shooters. Games like Bioshock, Borderlands and other games that make me dump>reload>dump reload feel terrible to play. Destiny does it the best.
  • I don't watch many movies anymore, but the three best movies in the last 10 years is Mad Max, John Wick and John Wick 2.
  • DOOM 2016 is the only single player FPS I've really loved since FEAR came out.
  • Overwatch is just as competitively interesting as Mario Kart. Feel free to think of that as a positive or a negative. I will say the game is good.

#20 Posted by Applegong (407 posts) -

Hot Takes:

I think playing video game is a personal and intimate experience, and the memories of what makes a game good or bad is influenced or colored by the state of one's environment and circumstances at the time of playing these games. I have a favorable view of games like 'Knightmare' and 'Rival Turf' even if they might not be the best games because those were cornerstones of some of the happiest times of my life. They would find place among the very best of games I've played although I wouldn't begin to know how to quantify this.

Also you don't ever waste any time playing a game, it is just another manner of coping with one's sense of mortality, and it is a worthwhile and sensible cause. That is perhaps why hoarding games gives a sense of comfort.

#21 Posted by Dan_CiTi (5144 posts) -

Michael Jackson's personal life was much more interesting than his music.

#22 Posted by dudeglove (13607 posts) -

Devil May Cry 3 has the greatest video game story. No I don't care about 50 hour epics like Mass Effect or Dark Souls lore - give me the tale of brother vs brother, daughter vs father and, uh, demon hunter vs giant flying whale thingy.

It is a simple tale seen elsewhere several times and it is done so effectively that I struggle to think of any other game that has been written so damn well. The exposition is paced just right between its action beats, the comedy is actually funny, and it's fucking dark when it needs to be. That it ultimately has a feel good ending is incredible.

Also it does the amazeballs thing of hiding the mission numbers in the opening/closing cinematics for each stage. It's so good.

#24 Posted by Damodar (2149 posts) -

Swinging for the fences here, get ready to catch up on your sleep debt

• Of the Xbox consoles, the original Xbox has the best library of exclusives
  • Army Of Two: The 40th Day is a really fun video game
  • Portal 2 is the only Valve game that isn't overrated
  • Anybody who hasn't played Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective will die without ever having known real love.
#25 Edited by SirPsychoSexy (1603 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 is the best mass effect.

Fusion Frenzy is the greatest party game ever made.

Mario Odyssey is fucking trash. (Okay not trash, but super mediocre.)

#26 Posted by TheHT (15751 posts) -

100% agreed on Metal Gear Rising.

Additional hot takes:

• Dragon Age II has one of the best video game narratives
  • Watch Dogs 1 is a great game and a fantastic exploration of NPCs and video game violence
  • Assassin's Creed 1 is still probably the best Assassin's Creed game, right alongside Black Flag (with AC4 being more of an outlier)
  • Remember Me is one of the best video games
  • Hotline Miami 2 was better than Hotline Miami 1, and was not significantly more difficult
  • Uncharted 4 has the best story of any Uncharted game and is the worst to play
  • Dark Souls 2 is an awful game
  • Crash Bandicoot is lame
  • Those 2D top-down Zelda games (i.e. Link to the Past) are not fun to play, and never were
  • Mass Effect 3's original ending was fine (but I gotta mention that Javik + Leviathan being DLC was fucking terrible)
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within has among the best (probably top 3) third-person melee combat in video games (the others are probably Arkham Knight and Dissidia: Final Fantasy (yes that's an embedded hot take))
  • Arkham Knight's batmobile stuff was fun
  • OG Destiny is best Destiny
  • FFXIV is best Final Fantasy
  • BioShock Infinite is great
  • Heroes of the Storm is the best MOBA
  • Saints Row IV is... actually better than Saints Row The Third. I think. Probably. Yes.
  • Kane and Lynch 1 was alright!

#27 Posted by TwoArmed (203 posts) -

Sonic Adventure 2, Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, and Alpha Protocol are decent to good games.

#28 Edited by mems1224 (2439 posts) -

At best the Uncharted series is the National Treasure 2 of video game stories.

Halo is the best video game universe.

Valve has published 2 good games and they're both Left 4 Dead

BOTW was a game clearly made by people who have never made an open world game, much less a good one.

There has never been a good game with "final fantasy" in the title.

The Metroid Prime games are bad and are the sole reason we'll never good actual good 2d Metroid games again.

#29 Posted by rethla (3725 posts) -

Just listen to Dan folks.

#30 Edited by gundogan (769 posts) -

- Call of Duty 4's multiplayer is terrible.

- Black Ops 3's multiplayer is the best of the series.

- DOOM 2016's multiplayer is good.

- Bioshock is overrated.

- Diablo 3's intial Inferno diffculty and auction house idea wasn't terrible, just poorly excecuted.

#31 Edited by Panfoot (264 posts) -

From most positive to most negative...

• Resident Evil 6 is a totally fine game, it's 2 biggest crimes are that it doesn't do a good job teaching you how to play(it wasn't until I touched Mercenaries mode that I really got the game and it became a lot more enjoyable) and that it's just too long. Otherwise, it wouldn't show up in my list of favorite RE games but it's certainly not in the trash pile with ones like Survivor or Umbrella Corps.
  • Half Life/Portal is the best video game universe.
  • The Metro games are the best single player shooter campaigns of the past decade.
  • The Marvel movies and DC movies are far closer in quality than the internet would like you believe.
  • We've reached a new low point for Star Wars. The prequels are bad movies but at least during that era we got a decent time period to explore in games and other media. Now, the Last Jedi sucked and I have no interest in seeing the end of the new trilogy(for the record, while safe I enjoyed the Force Awakens), the spin off movies are conversely the most safe and bland choices possible, and the other media is just bad or filler at best. Somehow at a time when there has never been more Star Wars content out there, it's also the worst time to try and find anything new and interesting in that universe.
  • The Rolling Stones and Guns and Roses are incredibly overrated with far more mediocre or straight up bad songs than good.
  • Nintendo generally makes good games, not life changing "best game ever" games, but pretty good games.
  • The Mass Effect series isn't good, more specifically Mass Effect 1 is a terrible game. The combat is bad, the exploration is terrible(the Mako actually controls fine, it's just the part where you quickly discover every planet is the same exact terrain with a different color and the same few dungeons), and the story is cliche and boring(this surprised me the most, I feel like I figured out exactly where the game was going with Saren like 3 hours in). The only reason that Mass Effect 2 is such a good game is because the shooting feels much better and there isn't much of a main story, it's 90% side stories and then a weird terminator baby fight at the end. Bioware is fantastic at world building, terrible at delivering a good story in the worlds they have built.
  • MGS5 is a bad game. All the systems in the game a extremely well made, but that doesn't matter when there is nothing to do with them. It's like playing the best racing game ever but it's only got 2 tracks, a perfect circle and an oval. The game would have be far better if it was just 5 or 6 Ground Zeroes type of maps rather than 2 of the most bland and empty open world maps ever. That and the story sucked but I don't feel like many people will challenge me on that one.
  • Brian Micheal Bendis is the worst mainstream super hero comic book writer today. He uses the same overly wordy and snarky dialogue for every single character he writes, his stories unfold at a third of the speed a story should actually be paced and by the end of it he forgets to finish it anyway before moving on to the next thing, and he has zero respect for continuity with what came before his own work, what's going on outside of his own book, or even baffilingly or his own work. His Iron Man run has been of the worst, if not the worst itself, runs on the character and has done damage to a bunch of characters(Doom and Captain Marvel being some of the bigger ones outside of the Iron Man characters).

That should put some people to sleep at least, if not a coma.

#32 Posted by ToxicAntidote (1018 posts) -
#33 Posted by Quantris (1222 posts) -

Other M was actually not that bad. Not traditional, but I've got Super Metroid for that.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
#34 Posted by Atlas (2737 posts) -
  • Metal Gear is a bunch of wank.
  • All media based on American-style comic books - Marvel, DC, whatever - is stupid and imbecilic, and I can't wrap my head around the fact that people take it seriously. Comic books are for children.
  • Platformers are bad.
  • Twitch and live streaming is killing games.
  • Fallout 4 was amazing.
  • Mass Effect 1 was the best ME game.
  • The majority of the internet's and GB's favourite dumb movies and "so bad it's good" movies are actually just awful. Fast and Furious is tripe.
#35 Posted by xanadu (1993 posts) -

All Souls games are boring as hell.

#36 Edited by TheFlamingo352 (322 posts) -

@tobbrobb: "Journey is the closest we've ever been to a perfectly executed game." Yes.

- Most 3D Mario games are boring.

- Horizon: Zero Dawn's story was a neat idea told atrociously.

- The Last of Us is (slightly) overrated.

#37 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3565 posts) -
  1. I don't think Metal Gear Solid's story is good--I was just younger and had underdeveloped tastes.
  2. Planescape Torment can never be overrated. It is simply the best told story to date. I knew about how much people adored this game before I played it, but by the time it all ended I was still delightfully flabbergasted.
  3. Grim Fandango's controls weren't that bad.
  4. On second playthrough I didn't think The Last of Us dragged. I was actually sad when it was over; it really does feel like a video game odyssey (it's a game so I'm not comparing it to the quality found in literature--we're not there yet).
  5. The CSI adventure games were fun and I miss them.
  6. Bethesda RPGs have been worse and worse since Morrowind. I know that's not a hot-take necessarily, but hey, this is a platform leave me alone.
  7. Mafia is a boring game that tells a ridiculously stale tale. Completely overrated.

Pretty tame stuff ultimately, guess I should consider myself lucky.

#38 Posted by Justin258 (15494 posts) -
  • I played Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 recently. I had a lot of fun with 1. I did not at all care for 3 and couldn't be bothered to play past World 3. This is despite the fact that I do think that Mario 3 controls much better than Mario 1.
  • Speaking of Mario, I never really cared for Mario World either. Even as a kid, when I had Mario World and Donkey Kong Country 2 right next to each other, I played DKC2. This was after both game's heyday, so it wasn't a "hot new thing" either.
  • Burnout Paradise isn't so great. Burnout Revenge is pretty great. Traffic checking is the best thing that ever happened to that series and it was only in one game.
  • I had fun with Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus's gameplay. It wasn't too hard, you just gotta get out there and move even though it doesn't seem like a game where you have to do that. Level design still sucks, though.
  • Mass Effect 1 is almost unplayable these days. I finished it once or twice and since then, the gameplay's either shit or boring. Whether it's a shooter or an RPG doesn't matter to me, but one of those aspects should at least be competent. And the story should at least be good enough to justify trudging through a bad RPG masquerading as a bad shooter - it's not a bad story, necessarily, but Bioware's dialog has a tendency to be mostly exposition and the story itself is boilerplate science fiction. There are some cool moments, admittedly, but hardly enough.
  • Despite all of that, I think Mass Effect 2 is very replayable. The gameplay's still sometimes shit but it can also be sometimes a lot of fun and mostly pretty decent, and the visual overhaul given to the game makes it all a lot of fun to just look at. Also the giant unfinished Terminator thing at the end is fine.
  • Mass Effect 3 is fine
#39 Edited by godzillasbrain (33 posts) -
  • Games are still stuck in the bronze age with regards to how the narrative is woven with the gameplay. Developers pander to their audience as opposed to pushing them, the video game industry is like if the film industry only consisted of Hollywood films.
  • It's disingenuous to judge Breaking Bad solely on the strength of seasons 4 and 5 considering seasons 2 and 3 were mediocre at best
  • A 'bad but interesting film' is always better than a 'good but with no interesting ideas' film.
  • Star Wars The Phantom Menace has a more interesting story than any of the films in the original trilogy
  • Mad Max would be a better film in black and white
  • Nothing hot about this but Dan has a shocking taste in films and his lack of interest in attending classes for his film degree shows

#40 Posted by Efesell (4083 posts) -
@theht said:
  • FFXIV is best Final Fantasy

I feel this needs context. ARR is just cold hard fact and 1.0 is perhaps the most searing take in this whole thread.

Avatar image for heavymetalwaffle
#41 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (152 posts) -

@godzillasbrain: You may be interested in this: https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Max-Chrome-Feature-Blu-ray/dp/B01LTHM352

- John Wick 2 discards much of what was interesting about the first movie (playing with and relying on a deep knowledge of action movie tropes) and in doing so becomes a pretty boilerplate almost boring movie with some decent sequences.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
#42 Posted by Atlas (2737 posts) -

@xanadu said:

All Souls games are boring as hell.

QFT.

Wait, do people still say that?

@tobbrobb said:
  • Journey is the closest we've ever been to a perfectly executed game.

Yeah, in terms of games that some kind of narrative and aren't just purely mechanical, this is probably true.

• Crusader Kings II is the greatest game ever made.

I think this thread is supposed to be for controversial "hot takes", not for objective statements of fact.

#43 Posted by Max_Cherry (1551 posts) -

Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest story ever told followed by Xenogears and then followed by Metal Gear Solid.

#44 Edited by huser (1421 posts) -

I don't really have a video game one. Usually my opinion aligns with if not the majority opinion then one that has a reasonable audience.

More out there: Klingons and Romulans should either be absorbed into the Federation or at best minor regional issues. The idea that slavers and conquerors could keep up for centuries with an egalitarian, peaceful society is pretty antithetical to the entire point of Star Trek. I mean by accident, they've shown the Mirror Universe requires cheatcode, after hack, after mods to even keep some level of parity with the prime. From stealing Vulcan tech, to being handed TOS tech, to having to steal a later Defiant's plans. Hell, if beefy TNG era Klingons had shown up and fought some away mission squad, only to eventually be called off by their masters the Ferengi, that would have done a lot to cement those new aliens as a real threat. And of course had precedence in history where nations rise and fall often because they have a threat to one side and cannot deal with another elsewhere. Same with maybe the Romulans and Cardies.

EDIT - To piggy back on the previous post. I wouldn't mind a Battletech version of Crusader Kings. Its the recognition that the spies and the people that order them around that are the real power in a setting of 100 ton mechs and spaceships was what made me fall in love with that setting.

#45 Posted by Sumofarmer (18 posts) -

Bethesda ruined Fallout and haven't made a good game since morrowind ( and that wasn't even great, it was mainly impressive for the time).

Also, the last great game made by Bioware was Dragon age: origins. And yes, mass effect 2 came out after that, wich should tell you what i think about the ME series.

#46 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7082 posts) -

@justin258 said:

• Mass Effect 1 is almost unplayable these days. I finished it once or twice and since then, the gameplay's either shit or boring. Whether it's a shooter or an RPG doesn't matter to me, but one of those aspects should at least be competent. And the story should at least be good enough to justify trudging through a bad RPG masquerading as a bad shooter - it's not a bad story, necessarily, but Bioware's dialog has a tendency to be mostly exposition and the story itself is boilerplate science fiction. There are some cool moments, admittedly, but hardly enough.

Oh my fucking god, I couldn't agree with this more. I tried replaying it a few months ago and the early parts of that game especially are a goddamn nightmare. Shepard can't aim for shit. The reticle is hilariously huge and the sway on scoped weapons is probably the most infuriating thing I've ever experienced in a shooter to the point sniper rifles are quite honestly useless for large chunks of the game until you dump a ton of points into them. To top it all off, your powers are so weak for the the first few hours that I would argue most encounters for those early hours would be faster if you didn't bother using them. Oh yeah, the level design is shit too.

I had a ton of fun when it was new and I don't regret that. However, much like my experience with MGS4, it ages like bread, not like wine.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
#47 Posted by militantfreudian (660 posts) -

I can't think of something inflammatory to say, but this might be relevant:

#48 Posted by breq (107 posts) -

Gone Home sucks

#49 Posted by mezmero (3689 posts) -

I'm pretty sure we had an "Unpopular opinions" thread a while ago and this seems like it's just that. I was under the impression that a "hot take" is more about expediency and zeitgeist than an actual meaningful or dissenting opinion about something.

#50 Posted by Zeik (5174 posts) -

@mezmero said:

I'm pretty sure we had an "Unpopular opinions" thread a while ago and this seems like it's just that. I was under the impression that a "hot take" is more about expediency and zeitgeist than an actual meaningful or dissenting opinion about something.

Honestly this is kind of what I thought too. Like "hot" as in fresh out of the oven and not quite ready to eat. But so many people use it otherwise that I figured I was just wrong.