Mobile phone advice

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi, I turn to Giant bomb as the only community I'm apart of that I trust to answer such questions.

I am not a phone person. I know basically nothing about them. I currently have a Samsung s6 I think that I've had for over 3 years now and been very happy with. But today my wife got a message from our network supplier offering us a Samsung a40 with a Nintendo switch for about 30 a month. Is this good? Is the a40 a better phone than I have? I assume so because its newer? A little advice please from those who know, worth a punt or not?

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gerrid

It's better than your s6 for sure. You could try and push for the a70 for 30 a month. A free switch is nice if you were thinking of getting one anyway though, it essentially makes the phone completely free.

Depending on your carrier you can get a higher spec chinese phone and buy it outright. But since you're already familiar with Samsung it might be better to go for something like the a40.

I will say if you are in the UK you can get the a40 on o2 for £7 a month. For £23 you can get the S10e which is a better phone. So 30 a month is a little high for the a40.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid: I am in the UK. We are currently with EE. I pay £22 a month for this s6. My wife pays £30 for a p20 lite. We were thinking of buying a second switch for the household for Xmas.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, a smartphone that is three years newer than yours must be pretty decent, and you'll get a Switch with the new phone too! Chunk that A6 in the recycler.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gerrid

@frodobaggins: In that case, I wouldn't pay £30 a month for an a40, no. Sky mobile do the a70 for £9 a month. That's a much better phone and within 9 months you'd have saved enough to buy the switch outright, and I bet the deal they are offering you is at least 12 months contract and more likely it is 24 months. In that time you could buy 3 switches with what you save.

How long have you been paying £22 a month for an s6? Sounds to me like you are still paying money for a phone which you bought off long ago.

Luckily for you now is a great time for getting a new phone and contract. Phones are cheap and all the networks are offering very low prices to snare customers.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid: I don't really want to change mobile providers. I've had the phone over 3 years. First 2 years I think I was paying about 30, then after that and after my contract was up and I was offered an upgrade, i chose not to but they lowered the price I pay. I have all calls and texts and I think 10 gig of data

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Any particular reason you don't want to change provider? If it's because of coverage, then Virgin Mobile, plusnet and BT all use EE's network so you'll get the same signal.

For comparison you could get a p20 lite like your wife from Virgin Mobile with a free switch for £24 a month with 8gb of data. Or an S10 for £30 a month, a Sony Xperia 10 with free wireless headphones for £18. You get the idea.

Even if you don't want to change networks you can often ring up or go in store and if you know what deals other networks are offering you can use it to negotiate a better phone or lower price.

But I understand if you can't be bothered with that. In which case I would be tempted to just buy a phone outright and go on a sim-only deal so you don't have to worry about any of this.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid: yeah I guess it is just because I don't want the hassle of switching and I've been quite happy with EE. Buying the phone isn't something I'd like to Do, I do like the subscription service.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Well given everything you've said you might as well just go for it and not think about it for another 2 years.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@gerrid: thanks for your views. I will continue to look about and figure out what's the best move.