Mortal Kombat Dream Kast

#1 Edited by watchmen877 (83 posts) -

With the announcement that the Mortal Kombat film reboot will start shooting later this year, curious who you'd like to see in the roles?

Here is a few actors/actresses I think would be good.

Johnny Cage: Chris Pratt

Jax: Idris Elba

Kano: Pilou Asbaek

Shang Tsung: Ken Wantanabe or Donnie Yen

Sonya: Margot Robbie

Liu Kang: Sung Kang

Kitana: Gal Gadot

Shao Khan: Vin Diesel

Kung Lao: Iko Uwais

Kenshi: Keanu Reeves

Raiden: Jon Hamm

Jade: Zoe Saldana

Again this is just dream casting so not expecting any of these actors in the roles.

#2 Posted by nutter (2287 posts) -

Solid list....make it happen! Some alternate takes...

Sonya: Charlize Theron

Kitana: Julie Estelle

Liu Kang: Iko Uwais (Iko needs a bigger role!)

Kano: Tom Hardy

Kung Lao: Joe Taslim

Jade: Hannah Al Rashid

#3 Edited by reap3r160 (269 posts) -

Johnny Cage + Christ Pratt = PERFECT

#4 Edited by nutter (2287 posts) -

Can we get The Rock in here as Cage, Stryker, Jax or someone? He’s great for hedging bets as he makes bad movies watchable.

Also:

Mokap: Andy Serkis

Quan Chi: Bald Adam Driver

#5 Edited by Deathstriker (1177 posts) -

Kitana is Asian (and has breasts), so I can't see Gadot in the role. I mostly agree with everyone else you listed.

Jax: Terry Crews if it's supposed to be somewhat fun/cheesy. The guy who played Luke Cage if it's serious. I like Idris Elba, so I'd rather see him in "real films".

Raiden: Willem Dafoe. If he's too old to do action scenes then Michael Fassbender.

Kano: Eric Bana

Sonya: Emily Blunt

#6 Posted by watchmen877 (83 posts) -

@nutter: Charlize Theron was my 2nd pick for Sonya lol!

And I would love The Rock as Stryker! He could play it like Hobbs from the Fast and Furious movies!

#7 Posted by watchmen877 (83 posts) -

@deathstriker: So for Kitana she is Edinian so kinda just picked who I thought would be good for the role.

#8 Edited by nutter (2287 posts) -

@deathstriker: I think Kitana is a fictional ethnicity from another realm...hopefully folks won’t get caught-up on ethnicity of folks from fictional worlds.

Also, such a rule would kill Stryker Rock or Cage Rock before they even happened!

EDIT: Also, I really just want a mostly Indonesian cast so the folks from that action scene can make this movie.

#9 Posted by Deathstriker (1177 posts) -

@nutter: MK is one of the few American games with a large cast of Asian characters since most game characters are usually white, so I wouldn't recast any of the Asian parts as white and I don't think Hollywood should either.

#10 Edited by watchmen877 (83 posts) -

@deathstriker: Gal Gadot is Israeli so I figured that would still work for someone who lives in a fictional realm lol!

#11 Posted by Deathstriker (1177 posts) -
#12 Posted by BisonHero (11603 posts) -

I think Chris Pratt as Johnny Cage gives him too much credit. He can do the comedic timing, but there’s a vain cocky asshole element to Cage (well, young Cage) that I don’t think suits Pratt quite as much. I’d rather see a bulked up Ryan Reynolds or even Paul Rudd play Cage.

Kano: Gerard Butler. But honestly Kano, Jax, Stryker, and most of the normal-ish human characters are such basic roles that I feel like they could be cast pretty interchangeably by various action movie tough guys.

#14 Posted by ShaggE (9300 posts) -

Hsu Hao: CG, voiced by Bob Saget

Drahmin: Kane Hodder

Meat: Mark Ruffalo

Mokap: Ed Boon

D'vorah: Linda Perry

Bo Rai Cho: Jack Black, but played extremely seriously

Kobra: Damian Chapa

Blaze: A literal bonfire with googly-eyes added in post.

I assume that'll be the entire cast of the movie.

#15 Posted by nutter (2287 posts) -

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/07/09/mortal-kombat-movie-reboot-casts-the-raids-joe-taslim-as-sub-zero

JOE TASLIM!!!

The idea of a MK movie is fraught with pitfalls, but the first casting choice being Joe Taslim...these dudes might be into something!

...above I noted I wanted to see Iko Uwais and Joe Taslim as Liu Kang and King Lao, respectively.

#16 Posted by soulcake (2818 posts) -

This should be one of those bad WWE direct to DVD movies, i mean the miz as johnny cage who doesn't want to see that.

#17 Posted by cornfed40 (619 posts) -

As long as we get Ruby Rose in there as Mileena, Kitana, Jade or Sindel ill be happy

#18 Posted by Relkin (1214 posts) -

Christopher Lambert needs to reprise the role of Raiden. That's all.

#19 Posted by OurSin_360 (6197 posts) -

@nutter said:

Can we get The Rock in here as Cage, Stryker, Jax or someone? He’s great for hedging bets as he makes bad movies watchable.

Also:

Mokap: Andy Serkis

Quan Chi: Bald Adam Driver

I'd cast Andy Serkis as Kano

#20 Posted by Gundato (330 posts) -

@soulcake: Up until we got Joe I would have been 100% down for that

Now? Now we have the chance to have a modern MK/Enter The Dragon with the "new school" of martial arts actors who are ridonkulously brutal and incorporate more "real" martial arts into their fight sequences.

I'm sure that it will still be the kind of movie where The Miz would be an amazing asset. But I have the hope of something so much greater. And Miz just isn't able to roll with those guys.. And I would rather be disappointed by the final product and not at all blame Miz for the inevitable generic fight scenes.