Most money you ever spent on a dinner

• 57 results
shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 24

Another completely random thread I decided to do. Once again, the title is pretty self-explanatory. What is the largest amount of money you ever spent on a dinner, and what was the dinner? And finally, do you think it was worth the hefty price tag?

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

$70 Australian just for myself. Was a Wagyu steak done at a kinda fancy Japanese restaurant. I dunno if I'd do something like this often but it was pretty damn good.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

$100.

I've never gone anywhere "fancy" but there's a local Mexican restaurant joint that serves really good dishes. This was a family outing so the total is understandable. It was also really good food so it was worth the price.

Bait003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$175 for dinner in disneyworld....i except to top that price in Feb.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I went to a fancy place with some corporate top men once. Based on the prices on the menu and in the wine book I'd estimate the price for the six of us to be between $2500 and $3000. Considering I didn't pay for it I'd say it was worth it. I guess if you average that out to $500 per person and considering that you could eat there for less than that I'd say I could see myself eating there again and paying for it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Corevi
@manachild said:

$70 Australian just for myself. Was a Wagyu steak done at a kinda fancy Japanese restaurant. I dunno if I'd do something like this often but it was pretty damn good.

Same but $80 Canadian.

I also spent another 40 on drinks so about $120 total.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the most I've spent just on myself was about $100. I don't drink, so that cuts down on the price a lot.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

$300 for two people at a super fancy seafood place in Minneapolis. It was at least super fun to pretend like we were rich people, but I sure wouldn't do it again anytime soon.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By CaLe

About $30. I don't like eating out and I get full pretty quickly so never need much.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

About $125 for me and four of my friends, including tip. I've never gone anywhere crazy fancy before.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About $300 at Tojo's in Vancouver for the Wagyu meal (seems to be a trend here). Was it worth it? Not really. The food was amazing, but I've had just as good multi-course meals at nice restaurants in the $80-100 range, which is far more palatable for a special occasion meal.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1000

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mirado

$400 for two before tip. How? Ohmi beef. Was it worth it?

You tell me.
You tell me.

Now, I was out on a trip and I doubt I'd have the chance to go again anytime soon (years, probably) so that's part of the reason why we went all out. Besides the best steak I've ever had, I washed it down with 30 year old scotch which also contributed to the price in a big way. The rest of the meal was more normal, so I won't go over that (although the baked potato I got as one side had to be nearly three pounds), but it worked out to be the best meal I've ever had overall.

If we go again, I'd probably skip the Ohmi (it was wonderful but you didn't get a hell of a lot of it) and that'd help the price out considerably.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@cale said:

About $30. I don't like eating out and I get full pretty quickly so never need much.

Pretty much this. I really don't like eating at restaurants ("real" or the fast food variety). Generally I enjoy neither the food nor the entire concept of going to some place to eat. If I'm not eating at home I tend to just buy some cheap sandwich, salad or something and eat it on the way to wherever I have to go. Going to a restaurant as the actual destination, rather than a stop on the way to somewhere is crazy.

The only eating out experience I remember fondly was buying pizzas for $10 or so and eating them on a parking house roof top.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

$185 for two with tip at a fairly nice place. It was a mystery shop and I was covered for up to $150 but I went a little over to get what I wanted.

Yakumo1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yakumo1975

The missus and I went to a place called Huis Ten Bosch "theme park" in southern Japan during summer (It's basically Holland in Japan.) For some crazy reason we decided to eat dinner there. Man, it cost us 7000 yen for two tinny stake dishes and 1 beer!. That's about 51 Euros / 65 USD / 40 GBP. What a rip off! We could have had a full course Yaki Niku banquet for that price, stuffed to bursting point.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust

30€. I know I'm cheap. ahah

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

350ish.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

$30ish, maybe?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

What was the most money you spent on a dinner and what was it? Was it worth it?

Why make a thread asking a question if you're not going to answer it yourself?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Probably $50 or so at a Theater/Bar in Chicago. Most expensive meal I've eaten but not paid for would likely be a dinner I had at this super fancy oceanside place in San Diego. I would estimate we spent a good $100 a head for six people (no drinks outside of a couple sodas involved) but I wasn't the one paying so I don't know for certain. Also recently took a trip with my parents to NYC and ate at some swanky spots I would never be able to pay for myself but, again, I don't know how much the total came out to.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

$80 or so, I think? The highest end place in my area is still not that expensive, and I've not really gone anywhere big where things would be more expensive. Also, I'm cheap, so I doubt I would spend more than $100 on a two-person dinner.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some odd 400 bucks on a Indian restaurant. We were three people. We ate a lot.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

250'000원* for a romantic seven course x-mas dinner for two in the fanciest restaurant in the small Korean city where I live. The meal was mostly western style dishes with some eastern touches, by a Korean chef who trained in Paris. It was fucking amazing! Best meal I've ever had (and I eventually ended up marrying the woman I went with.)

*that's about 250 USD.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I spent almost 30 bucks at a jack in the box once. I was full afterwards, so I'd say it was pretty worth it.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#26 FinalDasa  Moderator

$100 or so. There are a few steak houses here in Tampa that specialize in high end meals. White table clothes, dress codes, so on. The filet mignon was $60 or so but throw in appetizers and tip and it ended up being around $100.

Totally worth it. You need to spoil yourself now and then. And the steak was perfect. You could cut it with a fork and it tasted like butter. Probably the best steak I've ever had.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

About $40. Though I very rarely pay a lot for food in one sitting. When I'm working and too lazy to make lunch it'll average around $12, so it gets expensive fast anyways....

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY racked me up a little over $100 for five people. It was glorious and worth every bit.

KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$200 a head at Bazaar Meat at the SLS in Las Vegas. The food was totally mind-blowing including "Foieffles" which was foie gras baked into little waffles. Definitely an extravagance but it was in no way disappointing.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Hunter5024

I didn't pay for it, but the most expensive meal I ever had was at a steak house, it had one of those dumb minimalist names like "Steak" or "Grill" or something like that. I got a ribeye (which was 40 dollars all on its own (although it did come with a salad and some parmesan fries)), and we also got some lobster mac and cheese and some weird bacon shrimp thing for appetizers. Between the 3 of us it ended up costing like 220 dollars or something like that before tip, and only one person had alcohol, everyone else just had tea.

It was pretty damn good, especially the mac and cheese. I have to admit though, I didn't notice that much of a difference between the 40 dollar ribeye from this fancy place, and the 20 dollar one I get at Texas Road House all the time (also the serving staff at Texas Road House doesn't give me funny looks for wearing jean shorts during June in fucking Arizona). So I probably wouldn't go back there unless I was trying to be fancy or something.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Shaunage

$55 Australian for a comically large Mexican platter. If you manage to finish it, they give you another one for free.

I got a free one.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Camelizer

Maybe like $80 give or take $20. I can't remember where this was but I do remember basically being forced to go there as it was for a group celebration kind of thing and I would have looked like an asshole for not attending.

I avoid going to "nice" restaurants on the basis that I am probably the worst person I know when it comes to tasting "quality" of food. A expensive steak from a nice restaurant tastes the same to me as one I grill in my backyard. And I am not trying to say that the steaks I grill are really good, I can guarantee that 99/100 people would prefer the restaurants steak, just that I personally can't tell the difference. Even if the restaurants steak cost the same as the steak I grilled myself I still wouldn't care either way. More importantly I find myself unable to remember what individual instances of food tasted like after about a day has passed. I cannot explain the way something tasted only whether I liked it or not. This has made me very reluctant to go to nice or expensive restaurants since I'm almost always going to feel like I wasted my money. I've been brought to nice restaurants and after my friends who have never been will ask what it was like and I can only shrug and say it was good. I'd rather go to the supermarket and pay a fraction of the price for probably two times the amount of food I would get at a restaurant for a single meal.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By jadegl

Going to Medieval Times on my honeymoon. It was almost like watching something on the same level of a WWE house show mixed with eating with your hands. And it was worth every penny.

I'm a classy dame.

tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife and I usually go to our favorite Philadelphia steakhouse every anniversary (Barclay Prime). Usually it's around $400.00 with liquor for us two.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mikey87144

The final bill was $1200 at this steakhouse in New York. It's a two month wait to get into a restaurant with saw dust on the floor. For what they were charging we all agreed that it better be the best steak we've ever had by far. They were and still are. You have to sign a form just to take out what you couldn't finish at the restaurant.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By helvetica

@camelizer: Are you a nontaster? If you have less taste buds you fall into this category. You can tell by sticking out your tongue and comparing to it other tongues. Supertasters have more taste buds, nontasters have fewer.

I've probably spent around $60. For more expensive stuff I've had other people pick up the bill. I haven't been to a hoity toity place in forever. The $60 bill was totally worth it for the kickass pepperoni sticks.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zelyre

I had a chef's table reserved at Victoria and Albert's reserved for our Disney World trip, but since neither my fiance nor I drink, I backed out. Unfortunately, it also meant that every table at V&A ended up getting booked during our stay. Instead, we're going to Monsieur Paul at Epcot. I was really getting my hopes up for V&A, since it has a dress code AND a no children policy. Neither of which Monsieur Paul has. I'm hoping the 9pm reservation along with the price tag keeps the kids families with screaming kids far, far away. I'm expecting dinner to run around $300, but won't flip my lid unless it goes over $400.

@jadegl said:

Awesome. Back in high school, one of my friends played the trumpet there. Another friend was a server. Later on in life, I worked with a guy who was trying to become a knight at Medieval Times. That place is silly fun, even after multiple trips. The torture museum was a silly expense, totally not worth it at all, yet worth it at the same time.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@helvetica: I have no idea, well I'm about to make a bunch of my friends feel weird today when I see them. How extreme is this whole "nontaster" thing? I can taste differences between different types of foods in the moment I just can't remember what they taste like. For example I can tell the difference between different types of pies or different foods. Also if you were to blindfold me and hand me a common food I'd probably be able to identify it just through eating it but a couple hours later I wouldn't be able to explain/remember the taste of it to save my life. All I'd remember is whether I liked it or not, nothing else more specific or helpful to someone asking what it tastes like.

For whatever reason my brain doesn't consider tastes of food that important and immediately gets rid of it from conscious memory but I could still tell you an apple is an apple and not say a pear if I bit into it blindfolded. That and the names of people I just met which is annoying, 9/10 times when someone introduces themselves to me I forget their name in under thirty seconds.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I eat out a lot but even then I keep it cheap most of the time. I rarely go over $10 on take out and it's even rarer that I'd break $20 on anything other than a pizza delivery. I can't really think of many places where I could blow a lot of dough just to feed myself as I am in no way a fancy lad by Dan Ryckert's standards. I will say I can confidently scarf down at least $30+ worth of sushi by myself. I would eat it way more often if that wasn't such a drain on the pocket book. Damn it, I really want some sushi now. :(

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$150 on a dinner date for 2.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nigh 200$ on a dinner for two.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

175$ on a group of friends who were moving to another state. I paid so they could save money.

longshanks266

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right around $200 on a dinner for 2.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

$230. I had to use my parents' card and pay them back because my own CC company thought it was suspicious and I missed their call about it.

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

$1300 for a dinner for 7 once. Actually, the same week I spent $16,000 on a dinner, but that was for 200 people.

I'd guess the most I've ever spent that didn't get reimbursed was around $300 for dinner for two. But before having kids that happened often enough that I haven't kept track.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

The most expensive dinners I've had paid for me were roughly $2000~$3000 a meal for 3 people in various eateries in Japan. The family of the person I was dating at the time was ridiculous rich and when we visited they took us out to super fancy meals.

As for myself, on occasion we splurge and eat at some famous chef's place while we're on vacation and drop around $200~$300 for the two of us. When we eat out in general, bill comes out to around $40~$60. We also cook and eat at home a lot. Eating at home is obviously the cheapest way to go and it's also delicious. Celine is a great cook and I can make a few things pretty well =]

Btw. Neither of us drink and I think that saves a huge amount in the eating out area. I hear alcohol is super expensive outdoors ya'll.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By helvetica

@camelizer: I totally with you on the name thing, I can't remember a name to save my life. If you repeat their name a lot it's supposed to help, but then you sound like a weirdo. Yeah compare tongues! It will be a good time. According to this article, there's a 25% chance of being a nontaster. I'm pretty sure I fall into the medium-taster group. But anyway that's pretty interesting about not being able to remember flavors. Your brain is just making way for more important things!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By Hamst3r

As an individual, I think the most I've ever spent on a single item was $23. It was for a foie gras cheeseburger. It was good, but not $23 good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Most I have spent on dinner for two = $195.00 (drinks, dinner, desert) totally worth it.

Most I spent on a party of 30 people = $1,600 (drinks, meals, coffee/tea/desert and 30% tip)

Not asked, but interesting trivia:
-Longest distance with dinner date to special restaurant = 60 miles.
-Worst mishap on date = dumped full glass of ice water in her lap.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$400. Took my friend's family out to Benihana.

Not worth it.