Most Underused Actors and Actresses

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sprizmo

I find myself watching many movies that are essentially good but poorly cast. Too many actors are worshiped and highly paid despite sub par skills and often being decidedly one note (yeah I'm talking about you and your ilk, Shia Lebarf).

I want to dedicate a thread to all of those performers out there who should be utilized more often in cinema. As always I welcome the opinions of my peers. Here are some that I champion:

Sam Niel - The guy commands a scene and is perfectly nuanced. Why the hell was Jurassic Park the only blockbuster they entrusted to him for a lead role? He went on to do memorable roles such as Merlin in the TV series of the same name, but I find myself wishing to see him as the wise confidant or complex villain.

Bruce Campbell - Bruce is the most glorious idol to his fans, and he himself has embraced his crown in the B movie circuit, but I've seen him in guest roles on TV shows where he flexes his true acting muscle and its clear that he has the potential to be so much more. His charisma will always be there, but I think its something to build upon, not settle for. There are so many classic comedic horror movies that never happened because somebody's agent isn't paying hardball. Bubba Hotep was a sign!

Patrick Stewart - So what if the guy played captain of the enterprise for the better part of a decade? Typecasting is an illusion! Its a marketed perception! Aside from being the obvious choice for professor Xavier, the man has been virtually ignored by Hollywood. But guess what? He's a profoundly good actor who could easily carry an entire film, same as Ben Kingsley and other distinguished old gentleman. Talk about a waste of talent.

Oliver Platt - I call him the white Forest Whitaker; a hefty man with a genuine delivery. This guy radiates good humor and intelligence, and is always great in a supporting role. They stick him here and there, and when he pops up its to good efect. But he needs to pop up more.

Mary Louise Parker - After all of these years this hot mamma finally gets recognition for her performance on what has become one of my favorite shows, Weeds. I did a little research and found that she's been around for quite some time, but not in anything with any prestige. I asked myself, how is it that a lady who is as gorgeous as she is intensely skilled at acting never been conditioned to lead at the box office? Its a mystery.

Well I have more but I'll open the floor. I'm sure everyone gets the idea.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Chris Cooper.  That dood is a fucking scene-stealer.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By metal_mills

Ben Browder comes to mind. He had a pretty flat character in Stargate but in Farscape he was amazing. I want to see him in more stuff.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sprizmo
@jakob187: Agreed! Then again, if you look at his filmography, he's been used quite a bit, and in many highly praised movies. He shows up in a film at least once year.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Jimbo

Sean Bean probably deserved bigger roles.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NickM

Nathan fuckin' Fillion

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sprizmo
@NickM: Oh hell yes. He should have been on my list, I love that guy. He's got all the goods.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hitchenson
@NickM: Yes, definitely yes. He plays Buck in ODST, who is actually a key character to the game, which is cool.
Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gruff182

Damn I got beat to Nathan Fillion.

Also Micheal Keaton, he had his day. But he was awesome in more recent stuff like white noise.

I agree with shia though, i think Justin Long would make a better go-to young guy.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane
@Jimbo said:
" Sean Bean probably deserved bigger roles. "
Definitely.  He's one of my favorite actors, but I barely get to see him in anything since I live here in the States.  I should put his UK series Sharpe on my Netflix queue.  I've heard really goo things about it.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

Has anyone here seen A Guide To Recognising Your Saints? That alone shows that Shia has enough talent deep down to put on an entertaining performance given the right material though, I agree with Justin Long and I would also like to mention Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's amazing in both Brick and Mysterious Skin so, even though I know it'll be terrible, I'm really looking forward to him as Cobra Commander in GI Joe.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Bruce

Ryan Gosling is one of the best actors of our generation and needs to become a household name. I can list sooo many. Another is Anne Hathaway.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By citizenkane
@HandsomeDead said:
" Has anyone here seen A Guide To Recognising Your Saints? That alone shows that Shia has enough talent deep down to put on an entertaining performance given the right material though, I agree with Justin Long and I would also like to mention Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's amazing in both Brick and Mysterious Skin so, even though I know it'll be terrible, I'm really looking forward to him as Cobra Commander in GI Joe. "
G.I. Joe is going to suck so bad(possible even on a Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen level), which makes me sad to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it(as well as Ray Parker as Snake Eyes).  He is a really good actor.  I loved him in Stop Loss.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Optiow

I always thought that Sean Bean was great in Sharpe, he should have been given better stuff to do.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead
@CitizenKane said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Has anyone here seen A Guide To Recognising Your Saints? That alone shows that Shia has enough talent deep down to put on an entertaining performance given the right material though, I agree with Justin Long and I would also like to mention Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's amazing in both Brick and Mysterious Skin so, even though I know it'll be terrible, I'm really looking forward to him as Cobra Commander in GI Joe. "
G.I. Joe is going to suck so bad(possible even on a Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen level), which makes me sad to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it(as well as Ray Parker as Snake Eyes).  He is a really good actor.  I loved him in Stop Loss. "
To be honest, I feel sorry for near enough the entire cast. There's so much talent in there that only a director as terrible as Stephen Sommers could fuck it up.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sprizmo
@HandsomeDead: JGL Is also one of my favorites. Brick and The Lookout showcased his talent and I thought for sure he would be bigger than Ledouche around now.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By citizenkane
@HandsomeDead said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
G.I. Joe is going to suck so bad(possible even on a Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen level), which makes me sad to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it(as well as Ray Parker as Snake Eyes).  He is a really good actor.  I loved him in Stop Loss. "
To be honest, I feel sorry for near enough the entire cast. There's so much talent in there that only a director as terrible as Stephen Sommers could fuck it up. "
Movies like this make you wonder why the big actors that star in them decided to do it anyways.  Did they really think it was going to be good after reading the script?  Are they that desperate for the big paycheck?

These are just a couple of the questions of life.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
@CitizenKane said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
To be honest, I feel sorry for near enough the entire cast. There's so much talent in there that only a director as terrible as Stephen Sommers could fuck it up. "
Movies like this make you wonder why the big actors that star in them decided to do it anyways.  Did they really think it was going to be good after reading the script?  Are they that desperate for the big paycheck?

These are just a couple of the questions of life.
"
I think it's more to do with exposure. If you look at the cast, none of them have been in anything big for a long time and with someone like Lee-Byung Hun, this is his first American movie so with it being positioned as a follow up to Transformers, they probably thought it'd get them over. Only with it having such shitty word of mouth, I think it may have backfired. Also, I remember reading an interview with Channing Tatum where he said he was a fan of the cartoon and when he met up with other cast and crew, one of the reasons he took the film was how everyone else seemed to be a fan and the ones who weren't were still ready to make a fun movie, which means when it ends up as a dog's dinner, it'll be a real shame.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By CL60

Sam Witwer.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By citizenkane
@HandsomeDead:   I can understand foreign or new actors needing the exposure, but Dennis Quaid, Ludacris and Tutum didn't need this movie.  I guess their fanboyism for the show fogged up their minds when reading the script.  I think Ray Park just did to use his world champion martial arts skills, which will probably be the only thing good in the movie.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@jakob187 said:
" Chris Cooper.   "
@Jimbo said:
" Sean Bean. "

@NickM said:
" Nathan Fillion "
hah, i believe those 3 have something in common: they're all kinda handsome but not that goodlooking, have evil faces (espicially the eyes) and usually play as the bad guy/ the asshole in action films.. same as Mickey Rourke, Jon Voight, William Mapother, Joaquim de Almeida, etc... 
so when i read those names i thought Woaaah if they wanna go there we can pick endless bad-guy oriented sort-of-handsome not-that-successful actors.. anybody agree? not saying anything, just pointing out what came to my mind

anyway, my answer would beeeeeeee.... maybe Billy Crudup ? or Jason Lee ... Johnny Knoxville is also one of a kind i wish he acted in more films.  i dunno those are the ones i thought of
JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JazzyJeff

Sam Rockwell is great.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Bwast

Peter North.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

DAMN YOU JAZZY JEFF

after seeing choke, moon, and confessions of a dangerous mind, I believe the guy is an awesome actor and deserves some recognition (especially after seeing moon, which is an amazing movie).

*sigh* I just hope G-Force is de*SHOT*
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NickM
@HandsomeDead said:
I actually used to like Shia LeBouf. Now I'm kind-of indifferent. I guess he's kind of over-used. Oh, and Have you seen Levitt in The Lookout? That is a great film.
Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lantern

Nathan Fillion I fully agree with,

My opinion is Val Kilmer, one of my favorite movies is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and he is amazing in it. Where did you go Val? Why haven't you come back?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust
Andre Braugher has long since been one of my favorite actors but you just don't see him in a lot of projects these days.  I sat through City of Angels (Nick Cage/Meg Ryan) just because he was in it.  He was brilliant on the Homicide Life on the Streets series, and great in Glory, Tuskegee Airmen, Get on the Bus and even Duets (which co-starred Huey Lewis!)

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is an excellent second choice as well.  I want to see 500 Days of Summer just for his performance...and am curious what he'll do in the G.I. Joe movie.

And for equal opportunity, there needs to be more Rachel Weisz on screen in every way possible.  She makes even crappy movies like Fred Claus (Vince Vaughn) bearable. 
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By maxszy

Bruce Campbell, have you been watching him in Burn Notice? He is great! Granted, I love the show but he really adds to it. And is in all the episodes. Definitely check it out if you haven't yet.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GunnBjorn

The beautiful and fairly talented Gina Phillips.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By baconbits33

Wee Man is god dude.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By gingertastic_10

Zach Braff. Though he would rather direct then act in the movie. But he was fantastic in Garden State.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I want more Chris Walken. Even if he's been in a fair bit of stuff.