#1 Posted by aznan (138 posts) -

GOTY lists are a great way to learn about interesting overlooked games to add to one's backlog. As a movie buff, I'm always on the lookout for something new to watch, but there seems to be a severe lack of MOTY threads in the forums, so I guess I'll have to start one off.

My full top 25 list is posted over on Letterboxd at https://letterboxd.com/aznan/list/2018/ but here's the top 10:

1. Shoplifters
    A simultaneously sad and uplifting exploration of a family living on the outskirts of society and the consequences thereof.
  2. Eighth Grade
    Super funny, purposefully cringeworthy, heartwarming tale of a thirteen-year-old's final days of eighth grade.
  3. Suspiria
    Better than Dario Argento's original, combining dance and gore has never been this effective.
  4. Border
    The writer of Let the Right One In does to trolls what he previously did to vampires. Contains the best/weirdest sex scene in ages.
  5. Roma
    Incredibly beautifully shot film about the life of a maid in 1970's Mexico City.
  6. Burning
    A great slow burn (ha!) mystery thriller.
  7. Bodied
    Great fun, but also a thought provoking look into the world of battle rap, in which only the most racist person stand a chance to win.
  8. First Reformed
    Ethan Hawke gives a great performance as a priest who begins to question everything after meeting with an unstable environmental activist.
  9. Capernaum
    The movie's fantastic premise - boy sues his parents for bringing him into an unjust world - is barely in the film, but its telling of the events that lead up to that point is just as good.
  10. One Cut of the Dead
    Japanese kind-of-terrible zombie flick turns into a wonderful celebration of low budget film making.

So, with that said and done, what are your picks?

#2 Edited by liquiddragon (3281 posts) -

Definitely need to see some of those. I stop watching movies halfway through the year so my list is kinda handicapped.

12. Claire's Camera (Hong Sang-soo)
11. Upgrade (Leigh Whannell)
10. Lean on Pete (Andrew Haigh)
9. American Animals (Bart Layton)
8. First Reformed (Paul Schrader)
7. Unsane (Steven Soderbergh)
6. Eighth Grade (Bo Burnham)
5. Death of Stalin (Armando Iannucci)
4. Foxtrot (Samuel Maoz)
3. Hereditary (Ari Aster)
2. Sorry to Bother You (Boots Riley)
1. The Rider (Chloe Zhao)

#3 Edited by nutter (1888 posts) -

An action flick was my favorite film of the year, go figure! It helps that it’s fucking amazing.

I don’t see a ton of films the year they’re released (parent stuff), but I really liked these 2018 films:

MOTY:

The Night Comes for Us

Runners-Up:

You Were Never Really Here

Mandy

Isle of Dogs

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Apostle

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
#4 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (1067 posts) -

I saw about 150 movies this year which is not a lot for me, missed both Shoplifters and Burning which sucks.

Anyway my list goes something like this:

10 - Private Life

9 - Assassination Nation

8 - Annihilation

7 - The Favourite

6 - Mandy

5 - Closing Time

4 - Sorry to Bother You!

3 - If Beale Street Could Talk

2 - Knife + Heart

1 - Under the Silver Lake

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#5 Posted by SloppyDetective (1583 posts) -

1. Annhilation

2. Death of Stalin

3. Isle of Dogs

4. MID90s

5. First Man

#6 Posted by zombie2011 (5584 posts) -

Wow I haven't heard of any of those movies.

Only movies that stuck with me this year were Annhilation, Infinity War and MI: Fallout.

Was really disappointed in Creed 2.

#7 Edited by Milkman (19262 posts) -

Saw almost no movies this year but I've been trying to catch up. My top five (the order here could probably be shifted around a bit but whatever) as it stands would be

1. Sorry to Bother You

In a world filled with the most boring, easy political art imaginable, the rare movie that actually feels radical.

2. First Reformed

"Haunting" is probably an overused adjective when it comes to film but this one will haunt the shit out of you.

3. Hereditary

One of the most intense, unpredictable film experiences I can remember. She won't win but Toni Collette really deserves an Oscar for this.

4. Annihilation

Last 30 minutes of this took it from a pretty good sci-fi movie to one of my favorites of the year.

5. Roma

Not sure there's a better director living right now than Alfonso Cuaron. Every shot of this movie is packed with so much rich detail, you just want to pause and take in every single one of them.

#8 Posted by Rejizzle (1082 posts) -

Didn't see a lot of movies last year, but I imagine that Sorry To Bother You would be a tough one to beat. It's just superb.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse was also excellent. Some of the best animation I've seen in years.

#9 Edited by chrispy145 (14 posts) -

1. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

2. The Favourite

3. The Death of Stalin

4. Hereditary

5. Mandy

#10 Posted by inevpatoria (7422 posts) -

In no order:

• Annihilation
  • Eighth Grade
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
#11 Posted by Brackstone (857 posts) -
  1. The Death of Stalin
  2. Thoroughbreds
  3. Mandy
  4. Isle of Dogs
  5. Annihilation

The Death of Stalin is fantastic, one of my favourite movies period. Thoroughbreds had the best performances of the year, I think. Annihilation and Mandy are movies that I have some misgivings about, but they're still well done or interesting enough that I'd recommend them wholeheartedly. I saw other movies too, but didn't enjoy them more than the above or enough to bother figuring out their placement in a top 10.

I missed a lot of movies that I really wanted to see. Sisters Brothers, Sweet Country, You Were Never Really Here and The Favourite are the big ones I need to catch up on.

#12 Posted by Draugen (974 posts) -

According to my letterboxd:

• Leave no Trace
  • BlackKklansman
  • Spiderman- Into the Spiderverse

I'm seeing Shoplifters in two weeks when it comes to theatres over here, and I'm pumped for it.

#13 Posted by BoboBones (244 posts) -

BlackKklansman is the only movie I saw from last year, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I tried to watch Black Panther, but never finished it.

#14 Posted by billmcneal (1202 posts) -

Chappaquiddick

#15 Posted by DocHaus (2757 posts) -
  1. Sorry to Bother You
  2. The Death of Stalin
  3. The First Purge
  4. BlacKkKlansman
  5. Different superhero movies where the villain actually has a good reason to fight back against whatever regime the hero represents so the writers have to shoehorn in a "also my dad" line to make their true motivations seem petty.
  6. Fahrenheit 11/9

Still need to see Annihilation at some point.

#16 Posted by Sahalarious (729 posts) -

not enough spiderman on this list, so i dont like giantbomb forums anymore

#17 Posted by The_Greg (535 posts) -

A Quiet Place. I'm not usually a horror guy but this film was great.

Ready Player One. Expected this to be garbage, it wasn't. Just a fun movie that looked great on the big screen.

Solo. I'm not going to say it was amazing, I did enjoy it more than most people seemed to though. It was infinitely better than The Last Jedi, so there's that.

None of the other films I watched this year really stood out to me. Cinema is very much controlled by politics at the moment and it really is spoiling a lot of movies for me.

#18 Posted by Superharman (296 posts) -

I didn't get to the cinema as much as I would have liked this year, thus, four of my five picks are all films I saw during the Melbourne Film Festival...

1. Cold War

2. You Were Never Really Here

3. Spider-man Into the Spider Verse

4. Transit

5. Mirai

#19 Posted by billmcneal (1202 posts) -

I really liked Chappaquiddick and Operation Finale