Mouth Dreams

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

Edited By jaqen_hghar

The new Neil Cicierega album has been out for a little bit now (only a casual fan, only learned about it through Alex's Twitter), and I can honestly say I am hooked. The album itself is extremely well put together, and the magic he must possess to mash these songs together is astounding. While the past albums had few songs I would actually think about listening to outside of the context of the album (Wndrwll is one I can listen to whenever), this has so many unironically good songs. It is also hilarious, and has made the list of things I wish I could forget and then discover for the first time again. The only album to be on that list I think.

The entire concept of the album, and the way you can interpret it all makes for a fun listen. I also really enjoy the unsettling tracks (Get Happy is seriously creepy, and Aammoorree is funny and creepy at the same time).

Did the album get any good reactions out of you, any favorites, or theories?

(Was a little surprised there wasn't anything about this on the site already, so I'll just tag it to Off-Topic)

Epidehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Epidehl

I've been a big fan of Neil for a long time. Hell, I think I found Giant Bomb/Whiskey because of someone (maybe Alex?) doing an interview with him about Brodyquest.

This album could not have come at a better time. Not even counting everything else going on, I also got laid off the day this came out, and it's such a mood booster every time. He keeps outdoing himself and it's honestly incredible. I unironically enjoy Fredhammer a lot.

I could gush about his stuff for a while, but if you've never listened to it, I cannot recommend the other Mouth albums (Sounds, Silence, and Moods) and his Lemon Demon stuff (ESPECIALLY Spirit Phone) enough. They're the perfect tone that I need at the moment.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

@epidehl: So sorry about your job, and yes, this could not come at a better time. Even with the more sinister tone it has done wonders for my mood as well.
I had actually forgot he did Brodyquest! He has done so many iconic "internet-things" it's hard to keep track.

Not listened to Lemon Demon yet, but have put that on my list for sure.
I think Just a Baby is my favorite right now, and the harmonies in Yahoo are just beautiful.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honestly I think he is operating at the height of his powers. Somehow he's made this collection of mashups into a cohesive work (and with a thematic through-line) that I don't want to skip any part of.

Ribs destroyed me the first time I listened to it, Amore is the first song I've heard that actually sounds drunk, and Fredhammer is just like... a good song??

It's legit one of my favourite albums of this year.

Epidehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaqen_hghar:I'm landing on my feet surprisingly well, but thanks!

Yeah Lemon Demon goes wayyyy back. I first found it through "internet thing" The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, but he's done so much since then. He just keeps getting better and better with each album, maybe more than any other artist I've ever listened to.

@fram: I'd put Fredhammer in the same spot as The End from Mouth Moods in that it's just good and I can't imagine listening to the individual songs anymore.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaggE

I *love* the Mouth albums, and Dreams is incredible. Mouth Silence remains my favorite, but Dreams is a close second. From the first yodels of "Ya-hooooooo" to the final modem sounds, it's hit after hit after hit.

I also am getting way into Spirit Phone, having not really delved into Neil's Lemon Demon stuff. Holy shit, this album. Half the songs on it could have been legit new wave radio hits had they come out in the 80s.

Neil Cicierega has to be one of the most talented people I've ever seen. There are plenty of talented folks on the internet who seemingly are awesome at everything they try, but not many can stand among the best in multiple art forms like he does. I actually think of him as a goal to meet. If I can make *any* music or comedy that matches Neil's weakest work, I'll feel like I've made it, haha.

Edit: Wow, Anthony Fantano put up his review and basically reamed it. Surprising!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Superkiller is genuinely good.

Closerflies is a nightmare.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's some genuinely great stuff here, but (imo) nearly half of it is just meh. I can't tell if it's off on purpose to fit the theme of "dreams" or not. Overall, I think Mouth Moods is the better album.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed this thread isn't about some real freaky annoying orange inspired dreams.