Move and then throw out? Throw out and then move? What happened the last time you moved?

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Move and then throw out? Throw out and then move? What happened the last time you moved? (96 votes)

I threw out all the stuff I didn't want and then moved. 73%
I moved, and then I threw out all the stuff I didn't want. 8%
Throw stuff out? What's that? 13%
Move? What's that? 6%

Jeff G's recent moving experience, plus stories from what other people have done, made me wonder what the typical moving experience is?

It seems like (based on all those stories) that only people who are moving a very long distance, where bringing all their crap along would be cost or space prohibitive, will actually get rid of ton of stuff before moving. Otherwise, their experience seems like mine -- I've been living in the same place now for 11 years, and I still have stuff sitting in the boxes we packed them in. (However, unlike some, at least all our boxes have been opened at least once -- but a lot that is because a few years ago I was looking for an important piece of paper and couldn't find it anywhere.) I have done one junk run in all that time, but, man, there's so much more crap I need to get rid of...

• 
permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By permanentsigh

I have done both. Before one move I got rid of a lot of things that I had kept for years.

During another move, I more drastically reduced my possessions both before and after my move. I got rid of books, movies, CDs, furniture.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do it before. I did some of mine after the fact and it just made the process more of a pain. I had an overlap on the old place and was hopping backwards and forwards just to get rid of stuff.

Getting it out of the way makes the moving day so much easier and it's way better to take stock of what you need.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My partner moved to my town this last week, which encouraged me to either sell all my old shit, or throw it away, or donate it.

I've made over £1100 selling old game stuff, and I can now actually see what's in my cupboards

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have moved across country twice, but not in a time in my life when I had accumulated enough stuff to approach what's going on in Jeff's videos. I definitely got rid of stuff before the move in both cases.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Doing it before is better.

Even if you are moving to a bigger place, there are likely a lot of things that you accumulated that are pointless, not relevant to who you are anymore, or just broke and got replaced. Moving out can be a great opportunity to optimize living space, and that includes getting rid of stuff...

Also, the more you clean up before packing, the less you have to move.

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For people who have noted about doing it before you move - yes, I totally agree, doing it before is better. But, sometimes, you don't do it before. :)

For me, I'm a pack rat - I'm the guy who goes "What if I need X?" It's compounded by the fact that I can usually remember a half-dozen examples where I DID throw something out -- and it turns out I did need X. :) (Yes, I know that's confirmation bias, but, it's hard to argue with the meat sack that's your brain sometimes.) And even if I commit to throwing stuff out, it can take months before I get around to it, if I get around to it at all. I always seem to have major timesinks in my life, esp. given my choice of career.

Avatar image for mynameisfatmike
mynameisfatmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Depends on how much time I have to prepare. Generally I like to make the move the easiest that it can be, so I'll throw out what I don't want ahead of time. But I still do end up with a ton of junk that I end up throwing out after I move too. So probably a mix of both, but I'd prefer the first if time allows

MaddyReads143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlefish: This is quite interesting and mind blowing post. LOL. :p

yyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 4

I've done the 2nd option because I had a time constraint and had to get out of the apartment before the lease ran out.

Ideally, I would do it before moving. A lot easier especially since there is less stuff to move and less stuff to unpack.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

My moves have been to various apartments or moving in with people, only to move out into an apartment. My last move was out of my parents place to an apartment. That move was about 700-ish miles away. I took just about everything when that move happened. There were a few things like a washer and dryer I left behind, because I didn’t need it anymore and it didn’t make sense to move it, store it, and then take it out later on. So my folks kept it until they moved, and then they threw it away.

Looking to move into a house soon-ish, and the stuff I don’t want I might get rid of before I move.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@turtlefish: I can agree with you that it is better to do it first, but sometimes you have to do it after. I think that is mostly a time factor. I have definitely just packed everything -including garbage I wanted to take to the dump- just to leave a place quicks.

If I had a method that I felt was best it woudl be Before & After. Clean before and after a move, throw out as much as you cna first; and then after you move and start opening boxes have bag or box to just toss in the weird things you find. I think there is a concept that only deployed soldiers & long distance hikers know; your pack is ALWAYS full of stuff you don't need! ;-)

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tartyron

I picked the throw out then move but it was more theoretical as I only recently started living alone so the real thing was I kept almost everything and then bought enough furniture and art to make sure it didn’t look like a dorm room or a crack house.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moving is expensive, why pay to move junk you aren't going to keep???

Sort, donate / recycle / sell / get rid of junk, then move.

LordV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I bought my house I initially thought that I would have all this extra space to put all the stuff I’ve accumulated over the years. Now, 6 years later, my partner and I still have boxes of who knows what in our basement from the move that we still haven’t even sorted through. Logic would tell you that if I haven’t needed it in 6 years, I probably don’t need it, but who has the time to figure all that out?

Bogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to clean house a little when I move, even if it's just across town. Obviously it's sensible to get rid of more things when you move across the country (see this article https://threemenandatruck.net/how-to-prepare-for-moving-across-the-country/#Declutter_and_Document ) but it's also good to do any time you move. For me anyway, I always find I have some junk stored away that I really don't need or want. Plus it's good to start life in a new home with a clean slate knowing you've gotten rid of what you don't need.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm moving AGAIN two months three month after I moved last. Its not the decision to keep or throw out that gets me it just wanting to keep stuff, knowing you CAN move it, but being totally exhausted at having to pack up again and move.

I'm moving up, the new place is nice and the next place is nicer -- but I really do hate moving.