Movies that BLOW YOUR MIND when someone says they don't like them

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jtmosh

I've seen several topics elsewhere on the internet with titles such as "Worst movie you've been dragged to" or "Worst movie you've ever seen" and several times I've seen people say "Children of Men." I just don't understand how someone can not like that movie. It' has great performances, is extremely well directed, has great action and it's just straight up intense. I just can't imagine being bored by it.

What say you?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I'm more blown away when they say "It's shit and everyone is wrong for liking this movie!!!" more than anything.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You know, this is a website... about video games, and having this put in general discussion kind of defeats the purpose. This either goes in off topic, or Screened.com exists for all your movie discussion needs.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

The Godfather One or Two. Three? I understand.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By endless_void

The Godfather series (1 and 2 atleast, I'm not sure what to think of 3). But ofcourse the people who do that are the same ones who say ''These movies are bad because I I want to be special and independant of everyone else.''

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By deathbyyeti
@ArbitraryWater:  screened.com 
It's a website!
Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Toxin066

I can't believe there are people who don't like Forrest Gump.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Snipzor

I'm immediately saddened and made suicidal when people tell me they don't like The Room. 

Ha ha, just kidding. The Big Lebowski.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Kyreo
@JTMosh said:
" I've seen several topics elsewhere on the internet with titles such as "Worst movie you've been dragged to" or "Worst movie you've ever seen" and several times I've seen people say "Children of Men." I just don't understand how someone can not like that movie. It' has great performances, is extremely well directed, has great action and it's just straight up intense. I just can't imagine being bored by it.  What say you? "
I say when evaluating movies, (which I do often) two values should be taken into consideration.  The first being how much you enjoyed the movie.  I saw (500) Days of Summer and the rating for my enjoyment was 4 stars.  The second value should be what worth you find in the movie, be it a new type of fighting or interesting dialogue, and then combine this with what you think the pros would rate this movie.  With 500 Days I could only give the movie two stars because there was no interesting or unique qualities to the movie.  Though, the fact that I enjoyed the movie very much does not affect what the movie is worth.... which is nothing. 

So in this case I give (500) Days of Summer 
4 stars for enjoyment 
2 stars for quality 

Once you open your mind to the second value (what value you find in it combined with what others might find) then you'll understand why some people like movies when others do not. 
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I was pretty blown away by the number of people who saw Inception and said they hated it because they couldn't understand it.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By BunkerBuster

All my friends hate The Matrix, the original one. Needless to say they are now frenemies.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#12  Edited By joey

idk, just getting back from it, if anybody says that they didn't like Machete, I will punch them in the face.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By buzz_clik

The lass I work with said that the first Matrix movie was stupid and confusing. She couldn't follow what was going on at all, and when I tried to explain it to her she thought the whole idea was preposterous. I suggested she only rent things like An Inconvenient Truth from now on if that's the level of imagination she's comfortable with. 

I also had to literally draw a diagram while explaining the whole thing to her:

No Caption Provided
The brilliant coda to the story is that straight after this conversation we were talking about our respective plans for the evening; hers involved going to see Inception. You know how the story ends.
Baljot187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Baljot187
There Will Be Blood 
I have a friend who refuses to watch it because he said it looks boring from the trailer, and I can't even explain to him the cinematic awesomesauce that he's missing out on.
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BunkerBuster said:
" All my friends hate The Matrix, the original one. Needless to say they are now frenemies. "
They're still alive? You have failed us.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45
@JTMosh said:
"  and several times I've seen people say "Children of Men." I just don't understand how someone can not like that movie. It' has great performances, is extremely well directed, has great action and it's just straight up intense. I just can't imagine being bored by it.  What say you? "
It's an abyssmal piece of shit. That's why.
joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
@Toxin066 said:
" I can't believe there are people who don't like Forrest Gump. "
O_O 

Seriously? I never met one person who told me that.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GreggD
@Baljot187 said:
" There Will Be Blood I have a friend who refuses to watch it because he said it looks boring from the trailer, and I can't even explain to him the cinematic awesomesauce that he's missing out on. "
I tried watching it earlier this year. Couldn't get farther than about the 45 minute mark without falling asleep.
Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Junkerman

Children of Men is a masterpiece.  The single-shot camera work alone is accolades enough, creates some of the most intense atmosphere/action I've ever seen in a movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JTMosh said:
" I've seen several topics elsewhere on the internet with titles such as "Worst movie you've been dragged to" or "Worst movie you've ever seen" and several times I've seen people say "Children of Men." I just don't understand how someone can not like that movie. It' has great performances, is extremely well directed, has great action and it's just straight up intense. I just can't imagine being bored by it.  What say you? "
Generally the movies I like.
jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jtmosh
@Pinworm45 said:
" @JTMosh said:
"  and several times I've seen people say "Children of Men." I just don't understand how someone can not like that movie. It' has great performances, is extremely well directed, has great action and it's just straight up intense. I just can't imagine being bored by it.  What say you? "
It's an abyssmal piece of shit. That's why. "
And why is that?
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By buzz_clik
@Pinworm45 said:
" @JTMosh said:
An airtight case you've put forward. Not even the long tracking shot through the firefight in the street and into the building is worthy of praise?
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Vinny_Says

I like Mirrors with keifer sutherland....many do not...that is all

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By BunkerBuster
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @BunkerBuster said:
" All my friends hate The Matrix, the original one. Needless to say they are now frenemies. "
They're still alive? You have failed us. "
I know right? It really does blow my mind. One that they hate it and two that they keep evading my death traps.
Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@Baljot187 said:
" There Will Be Blood I have a friend who refuses to watch it because he said it looks boring from the trailer, and I can't even explain to him the cinematic awesomesauce that he's missing out on. "
man if you could make a hyper-dense awesomesauce extract There will be blood would be the final product. 
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#26  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

The Naked Gun and Hot Shots series of movies.  I know a lot of people aren't into slapstick spoof comedy, but it stops me short every time someone says they don't like 'em.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ajamafalous

Children of Men is fucking great. So many long, uncut scenes.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Interfect
@Sparky_Buzzsaw:  The Naked Guns are the shit.
fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By fisher81

Saving Private Ryan and The Hangover

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60
@DeathbyYeti said:
" @ArbitraryWater:  screened.com  It's a website! "
About video games?
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By WickedCestus

Fight Club. I had one person tell me it was mediocre. Man, fuck him, that's the greatest movie ever made.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By TepidShark

Spaceballs

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Red12b

@buzz_clik 

Heh, I can imagine, "I saw inception... it was stupid and confusing, It's not realistic uuuuhhhhh..."  

Some people just can't open their minds to things outside of their perspective, What we should learn from this is that some people will miss out and that is their choice, At the end of the day, I ain't going to lose sleep if someone I know can't appreciate something, it's their loss.     

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By DXmagma
@Toxin066 said:
"life's like a box of chocolates...you never know what your gonna get." 

on topic district 9. i love that film, and i feel like people who don't like it can't get past the fact it's a metaphor for racism. albeit a thinly veiled metaphor, but you can still go through the movie without that coming up. you can easily just enjoy the film for being a film.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@DXmagma said:
" @Toxin066 said:
"life's like a box of chocolates...you never know what your gonna get."   on topic district 9. i love that film, and i feel like people who don't like it can't get past the fact it's a metaphor for racism. albeit a thinly veiled metaphor, but you can still go through the movie without that coming up. you can easily just enjoy the film for being a film. "
Someone complained that it wasn't like Transformers. 

@Red12b said:
"    It's not realistic uuuuhhhhh..."                                             "
I love when people use that argument.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@JoeRiccadonna said:

" The Godfather One or Two. Three? I understand. "

Ok, here's my thing about #2: It does nothing for the story that was not done by the final scene in #1 (which also shows just how amazing the 1st one is). If #2 had been all prequel, all the time, that would've been great, but I personally did not enjoy the Continuing Adventures in Douchebaggery of Michael Corleone.  

Also, the complaints I've heard against Children of Men have mostly been that the extended shots are pretentious 'hey look at how cool we are that we can do this' crap. Which is a horrible way to interpret it,  but hey. Their loss. 

And to all the people saying this belongs on Screened: Sometimes, people don't want to have to join another website just to have a conversation, especially when they want to have it with the people on this site.
Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By Liquidus

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Even if you hate westerns, you have to enjoy this movie or at least appreciate what it does. Cinematic perfection and hasn't been matched in over 40 years. I can think a few others that would shock me if someone said they didn't like them but nothing would come as close as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#38  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@CL60 said:
" @DeathbyYeti said:
" @ArbitraryWater:  screened.com  It's a website! "
About video games? "
... Sort of? But whenever I bother to browse that site's forums, it's almost a ghost town. I just feel that they could use a boost of legitimate, reasonable discussion. 

But to not be a dick (but also kind of be a hypocrite), I guess I would have trouble understanding why people would dislike Toy Story (or either of its respective sequels for that matter). Cars? Wall-E? I would understand. 
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Sooperspy

Back to the Future.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kishan6

Fight Club

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41  Edited By apathylad

People who say the Tim Burton Batman movies are superior than the Nolan ones. >_<

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zepp

The Lord of the Ring's Trilogy. I love all three of these movies, but I often meet people who have no desire to see them or claim they are too boring and long. I just don't understand how someone could have no desire to see all of the movies. I know the movies are long but that's what makes them so epic! I also think it's incredibly stupid when people write the movies off because of the fantasy elements. I mean c'mon people have a little imagination, real life is so fucking boring. Why do people only want to watch movies about things that actually exist, pfft that's boring.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Harry Potter. 

Especially 3 and on.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By Animasta
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Harry Potter.  Especially 3 and on. "
the movies aren't that great?

the books are pretty awesome (maybe not the 5th because he gets to angsty) but the movies... eh
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By yakov456
@Apathylad said:
" People who say the Tim Burton Batman movies are superior than the Nolan ones. >_< "
That would be me! And Michael Keaton is the best Batman bar none.
fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fourby

If someone ever told me they didn't like The Shawshank Redemption, I would have to have a serious talk with them.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Laketown said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
" Harry Potter.  Especially 3 and on. "
the movies aren't that great?  the books are pretty awesome (maybe not the 5th because he gets to angsty) but the movies... eh "
It's mainly the people who read the books and can't appreciate the movies. 

3 tends to be really disliked while the first 2 are seen in a better light by readers because 3 was made as a movie while the first 2 copied everything. 

Most people agree they are great especially 3 and 5 but most of the hate seems to come from the readers.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pinworm45
@buzz_clik said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @JTMosh said:
An airtight case you've put forward. Not even the long tracking shot through the firefight in the street and into the building is worthy of praise? "
Yeah, sure, it was a cool scene. So what? There was some cool scenes in the star wars prequels, and those movies sucked hard too.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Snipzor said:
" I'm immediately saddened and made suicidal when people tell me they don't like The Room.  Ha ha, just kidding. The Big Lebowski. "
*tenses up*

*starts to shake*

LISAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YOU'REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TEARRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGG MEEEEEEE APARTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Star Wars trilogy. I've met a handful of people who either didn't like them or had no interest in seeing them. I don't understand it. Arguably the best film trilogy of all time and you have no interest in seeing it?