Music Thread v.2019

• 67 results
Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

New Rheostatics album! Here Come the Wolves!

"Vancouver: is pretty dope.

Really like "Music is the Message".

If you like ACDC you'll probably get a kick out of "ACDC on the Stereo." Little gimmicky for me.

"It's The Supercontroller" is the Dave Clark weirdness I can get behind.

Title track is a bit weak, but it might grow on me.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Okay where did we end?

Lana Del Rey's turned out pretty great as expected. Especially love the ballads, but the whole sunkissed vibe of the album is pleasant throughout. Fuck It i Love You & The Greatest

Taylor Swift's Lover was the first Taylor album i felt compelled to listen to. It drags on too long and it's not mindblowing, but still pretty lush & decent. Paper Rings

Charli XCX & Sky Ferreira shared the moody rumbling popsong Cross You Out that erupts in a very solid chorus.

Bat For Lashes new album is a fantastic 80's album. I'm talking about shimmering synths, dark bass & deep drums. Also some sax. Especially loving this dark & brooding instrumental Vampires.She also continued the tradition of having great tracks titled by a name with Jasmine.

Great Grandpa's - Mono No Aware is simply a beautiful heartwarming song. Recommend giving it a listen.

MUNA's song Number One Fanis a great piece of electropop with very earnest lyrics.

Rosalia's duet with Ozuna, Yo x Ti, Tu x Mi sees the spanish popstar continue to make very catchy latinpop. Some of the sounds on this track immediatly make me think of Jamie XX. And if you missed it, here's the goofy but infectuous Fucking Money Man.

To finish the female pop corner, Normani - Motivation (NSFW)is a banger that reminds me of the mid 2000's.

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard's thrash metal album was short but excellent & cohesive. Somehow managed to both sound fresh for the band while still being very King Gizzard. Planet B (NSFW)

DIIV - Skin Game is a lovely hazy rock track that manages to still pack quite a punch despite it's smokey nature.

White Reaper seems to make the move for mainstream appeal with their new songs. Might Be Right showcases a very clean poprock sound. Tight instrumentation and a guitar solo that could've been straight out of The Strokes discography.

Comet Gain - Mid 8T's feels like a throwback to Belle & Sebastian. Pleasant midtempo indierock.

Squid - Match Bet is a punchy rocksong with a punk attitude that still gives way for the sax to shine. Houseplants is equally great.

Talking about Plants, Guerilla Toss's song is a noisy hypnotizing rock song with a steady groove to it. You either get sucked into it or turned off by it immediatly.

Frank Turner released yet another album. This one is merely decent, but i did quite like the folksy pubstomp of Jinny Bingham's Ghost.

Swans dropped a new epic slowburn of a track named It's Coming It's Real.

Pusha T & Lauryn Hill's Coming Home is a very upbeat song with a classic kanye production. Lauren provides a beautiful inspirational chorus while Pusha's verses immediatly stick with you.

Whitney is a band that's all about making lovely falsetto-lead country / folk music. Giving Up feels like a song that would play over the credits of a Bob Ross episode. That said, the song is structred well enough to be more than merely wallpaper. All 3 songs released so far are good. Looking forward to their album!

Finally, Father John Misty covered Gillian Welch's Everything Is Free Now. A ballad about the struggles of living as an artist in the current streaming landscape.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By cikame

Tool's latest album has now overtaken Taylor Swift's "Lover" for the number 1 spot on Billboard's album chart, in a move that gives me some hope for humanity.
Full disclosure, no idea what charts are important or how meaningful this really is, but everyone seems excited about it and i love watching the wildly successful get taken down a peg.
Here's a screen grab for posterity, lets enjoy it while we can.

No Caption Provided

Personally there's a track on the album that i think is their worst, but overall it has extremely high production value and i absolutely love Pneuma. It's a much more chill album than their prior work, nothing on it blows me away like the bangers of the past, but i've been listening to it every day regardless because it's still such an impressive release, regardless of the events that lead up to it.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: oof duder i’m on the other side of that record. it’s totally ok as far as tool releases go- but i find it artistically stagnant. i’m just not getting anything new off it- lyrically or sonically.

also i appreciate the satisfaction of seeing tool knock a pop artist off the top of a chart- but given the ticket prices they command and their merch prices (10000 days tour had them selling $60 shirts, i shudder to think what they’ll be for this cycle)...it’s not exactly a david v. goliath scenario.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules: Agree 100%, and i think it did so well mostly because of a groundswell of support for Tool on Youtube over the last few years, leading up to an album that famously took so long, but this might be the last time i see a band i like do so well so i'm living it up while i can :P.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP Daniel Johnston...

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

Just heard the new Chelsea Wolfe album 'Birth of Violence' which I adore. Probably a split between it and Fleshgod Apocalypse's 'Veleno' for my favourite album so far this year.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mellotronrules

RIP Ric Ocasek- man had a strikingly distinct voice (both literally and figuratively) that tonnes of bands owe a career to.

also we have him to thank for this fever dream of a music video, which tim and eric probably should be paying royalties for.

https://youtu.be/3dOx510kyOs

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I've had a hard time getting excited about music since David Berman's suicide. It surprisingly has hit me hard. Not only is it a tragic story; but how it's affected my perspective on Purple Mountains, and openly depressing / introspective / self deprecating music in general. This kind of music has historically given me a cathartic, almost empowering feeling, or comfortable sense of belonging... but now i wonder if it's just an unhealthy comfortable rut. It's been hard trying to come to a conclusion on this...

Well, a new Battles LP is on the horizon. Maybe some otherworldly art nonsense is exactly what i need.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I saw Man Man perform last night at a club that couldn’t have held more than 250 people. That was a good time.

New Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album out in a few days. That should be a wonderful experience, too.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That new Nick Cave album dropped. It’s a beautiful and anguished synth-heavy album.

I finished up about five hours of yard work and chicken coop building, then started a fire, sat, and listened as the day came to a close. Great first listening experience.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The new Opeth album In Cauda Venenum is quite good. While I've been a fan of all of their work after the shift away from extreme metal, this is probably the best of those albums so far. Multiple songs have been stuck in my head for days now, and the Swedish lyrics fit the atmosphere of their music perfectly.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Been getting into a bunch of stuff all year, but the best of it so far (for me), in no particular order, is:

I Killed Everyone - Lamenting Hymns

A Wake In Providence - The Blvck Sun / The Blood Moon

Enterprise Earth - Luciferous

Osiah - Kingdom of Lies

Decayed - End Note

AngelMaker - AngelMaker

Ingested - Call of the Void

Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

Vulvodynia - Mob Justice

Brand of Sacrifice - Godhand

Gamma Sector - Sanctum of Vivisection

Bound In Fear - The Hand of Violence

Serpent of Gnosis - As I Drink From The Infinite Well of Inebriation

Infant Annihilator - The Battle of Yaldabaoth

Signs of the Swarm - Vital Deprivation

Refused - War Music

Leaning towards a top 3 of Vulvodynia, IA, and SotS, but there has been a lot of great heavy stuff so far this year... AWIP and AngelMaker were really great surprises!

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Been getting into a bunch of stuff all year, but the best of it so far (for me), in no particular order, is:

I Killed Everyone - Lamenting Hymns

A Wake In Providence - The Blvck Sun / The Blood Moon

Enterprise Earth - Luciferous

Osiah - Kingdom of Lies

Decayed - End Note

AngelMaker - AngelMaker

Ingested - Call of the Void

Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

Vulvodynia - Mob Justice

Brand of Sacrifice - Godhand

Gamma Sector - Sanctum of Vivisection

Bound In Fear - The Hand of Violence

Serpent of Gnosis - As I Drink From The Infinite Well of Inebriation

Infant Annihilator - The Battle of Yaldabaoth

Signs of the Swarm - Vital Deprivation

Refused - War Music

Leaning towards a top 3 of Vulvodynia, IA, and SotS, but there has been a lot of great heavy stuff so far this year... AWIP and AngelMaker were really great surprises, but I’ve been feeling disappointed by the new Shadow of Intent - feels like they were trying to do a Deathcore Dimmu Borgia, which is distracting for me...

thebestestbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

ok here is a ton of music from the last few months, lets go!

Stuff I liked from the past 6 months:

Polysics: In The Sync - My favorite band in the world played it safe, and made a tight, simple Polysics album. This is very old school, P-Model style erratically sequenced album, with all the typical highs (insane speed and song structure) and lows (high pitched vocals, a few corny lyrics).

Chai: PUNK - I keep forgetting to mention this album, but it's slowly grown on me. At first glance, a run of the mill J-POP album; but the songs are strong and have a certain... grit to them. From the fuzzy "Choose Go" to the Fantastic Plastic Machine styled "This is CHAI", this album does it differently, and I've really come to dig it.

Battles: Juice B Crypts - While I do like this album more then their previous mis-step, there is still something missing about Battles since Gloss Drop (one of the best albums of the decade BTW). I think it's their abandonment of the post-rock structure of songs. While a lot of the songs here do really cool and colorful things, it's all fleeting moments. None of them take you anywhere or build to anything satisfying. That being said, Battles still comes off as a one-of-a-kind kind of band, even when disappointing.

The Vocoders: First V - This is Polysics' newly announced side-band. A coffeehouse style Polysics, with chill songs (mostly covers of old Polysics songs). Very fun and refreshing.

Chris Farren: Born Hot - Catchy little humble album. I like the dichotomy of Chris' "flawless celebrity" presentation and his frank lyrical content (mostly about depression and anxiety). His style may take a bit of getting used to (this is pretty much a album made on a laptop, and his lyrics are detailed to a level some may find ridiculous or endearing.)

Beck: Hyperspace - OK this miles better than the boring-as-cardboard Morning phase, and embarrassing Colors, but Beck continues to struggle to live up to his past reputation as this creative genius that can just make gold out of any genre. That being said, this album is relatively painless to listen to. It goes for this chill electronic cloudy tone, that is interesting, but he doesn't seem to go anywhere with the songs past "good enough".

clipping.: There Existed An Addiction To Blood - Fucking cool as hell concept - a horror rap album. The songs are smartly composed in this almost minimalist way (sometime rapping over nothing but odd atmospheric sounds.) I think Run For Your Life is cool as hell when the beat only shows up in the song for a moment twice (in the form of a passing by car). Totally sticks the landing as a concept. As far as something you'll want to play again.... ehhhhh....

Kenichi Asai: Blood Shift - Classic rock and roll songwriter. He's made dozens of albums, and led like half a dozen bands. The dude is a legend. Where does Blood Shift rank in his discography? Somwhere in the middle I guess. Solid, but nothing wildly noteworthy.

L'Orange: Complicate Your Life with Violence - When it comes to criticizing rap, L'Orange probably is discredited. All his stuff is the same (Madvillian style beats over 40s radio dramas), and he only tends to work with safe rappers that don't push any boundaries of style or taste; but it scratches that itch for me. This is fun and chill, like all his stuff.

Danny Brown: uknowhatimsayin¿ - Atrocity Exhibition is prob my fav rap album of the decade. It would be stupid to just do that album again and expect to do it better. So I dig the tone shift Danny went with here. This is a neat little old-school style rap album. It's prob exactly where Danny needs to be right now as an artist, but it's just fine.

Jason Lytle: NYLONANDJUNO - Instrumental album by the Grandaddy front-man. There is an impressive about of emotion on this, for no lyrics. I dig it.

that dog: Old LP - Everybody's reuniting, why not INCREDIBLY 90'S indie pop band, that dog? This is good, sounds like that dog. Moving on...

Off With Their Heads - Be Good: Saw these guys open for Dillinger Four last year. They rock. They're funny and cool. The heaviness of their sound translates well on this album. Lots of big Dave Grohl style arena rock sized screams and crescendos.

this band called Soul Glo is cool (NSFW link): Saw them open for Deerhoof. Wild hardcore sound, good politics, and i dig the tone shift surprises in a few of the songs.

Elbow: Giants of All Sizes - So Elbow debuted ages ago with this album called Asleep In The Back. It's composed and produced in this way that's so hard to explain, but it feels like they're doing a session in the room with you. It's chill, but powerful at the same time. So cool. They've never gone back to it, and have been going for BIG SOUND ever since, with varying degrees of success. This album is no different. Some cool BIG SONGS, and some boring duds.

Stuff I'm not so into

Omni: Networker - This band has all the post-punk ingredients to be one of my favorites.... but it just doesn't really come together that much for me. I've lost interest halfway through every time I come back to it :(

Corridor: Junior - Same thing, and these guys even sing in French (even cooler!)... but it just doesn't click :(

Anamaniguchi: USA - Not only has it been 6 years since the last guchi album, but just continuing as if the Endless Fantasy wasn't disappointing, too long, and boring... and just pretending that the last 6 years of "geek culture" hasn't changed.... weird. Not into this.

Black Marble: Bigger Than Life - This production continues to evolve, Black Marble songs tend to lose their magic.

Sleater-Kinney: The Center Won't Hold - They forced Janet out!

Lagwagon: Railer - Lagwagon went from dumb skate punk band to suddenly relevant, smart, deep. Well it seems like that run is over. Listen to Blaze and Hang to get what I'm saying. Ignore this

!!!: Wallop - Another band that has seemingly fallen off a cliff. Up until about 2017, !!!'s output was flawless. The jams were real, and the lyrics were sharp; but these last two albums have been a total bore, and I can't tell why.

The Menzingers: Hello Exile - This is when I finally gave up on The Menzingers. They've been on diminishing returns, trying to remake On The Impossible Past (another one of the best albums of the decade!). This is their 3rd shot at trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle, and fellas... it's just not working. The past two efforts have grown on me, but embarrassing songs like "America You're Freaking Me Out" (news flash, America has always been bad. You're a punk band, you should know this) and "Farewell Youth" (pining for your high-school days is pathetic on a level I just cannot comprehend) just make me want to toss the whole album.

crackity_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have any future funk recommendations? Stuff like Macross 82-99, Desired, and Yung Bae