My band have just finished our first song. Opinions?

• 78 results
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Sambambo
aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By aceedkins

That was actually pretty decent for a first song. kudos.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sambambo
@aceedkins said:
" That was actually pretty decent for a first song. kudos. "

Anything that stuck out to you as being bad/needs to be changed?
Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Drakhir

I liked it. I just suggest getting some vocals and everything will get along on its own.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sambambo
@Drakhir said:
" I liked it. I just suggest getting some vocals and everything will get along on its own. "
We are in the process of getting one :)

Couldent find one before we made a demo, now we are getting too many requests!
Elston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Elston

It was good. I don't ever listen to that sort of music, but I still thought it was good. Very tight. I agree with the vocals, but don't lose that sound you guys got. It is so perfect right now. You'd have to get a vocalist who knows how to gel with your style obviously.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

How was production? This sounds pretty good.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai

Very good, but vocals will make or break it.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sambambo

@Elston said:

" It was good. I don't ever listen to that sort of music, but I still thought it was good. Very tight. I agree with the vocals, but don't lose that sound you guys got. It is so perfect right now. You'd have to get a vocalist who knows how to gel with your style obviously. " 

Thats what we are hoping to find :). Glad you like it 

@ThePhantomnaut said:

" How was production? This sounds pretty good. "

It was home recorded with a program called 'ableton live'.

We currently have no way of recording the drums to an acceptable qualtiy, so they were made on the computer, however it is what I drum
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Mushir

Its gonna be hard to put vocals on that and not ruin the song. The chorus part sound nice and it's quite catchy. Good job!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

wow.. fuck me... sounding excellent !! heavy fucking riffs FTW! sounds perfect for a video game theme song

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@SuperSambo said:
"  
@Elston said:

" It was good. I don't ever listen to that sort of music, but I still thought it was good. Very tight. I agree with the vocals, but don't lose that sound you guys got. It is so perfect right now. You'd have to get a vocalist who knows how to gel with your style obviously. " 

Thats what we are hoping to find :). Glad you like it 

@ThePhantomnaut said:

" How was production? This sounds pretty good. "

It was home recorded with a program called 'ableton live'.  We currently have no way of recording the drums to an acceptable qualtiy, so they were made on the computer, however it is what I drum "
And it worked well. Good job dude.
LordDaneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LordDaneil

I actually really liked it, to the point where I would purchase this song. My only complaint is that I didn't like  the synthesizer at the very beginning.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman

Nice. By the way, I like the term "Happy Hardcore".

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sambambo
@DanielCoolDC said:
" I actually really liked it, to the point where I would purchase this song. My only complaint is that I didn't like  the synthesizer at the very beginning. "
I dont think that you can get better praise than that. Thank you :) 

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" wow.. fuck me... sounding excellent !! heavy fucking riffs FTW! sounds perfect for a video game theme song "
Not sure that that is the direction we were planning to go, but always nice to have a back up :) 
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ

It's not really my taste, but the mix of the techno and rock really seem to work well the way you did it. Is there a "Let's Start Over" fan page on Facebook?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@SuperSambo:  
Let's Start Over is an awesome name for a band first thing I'd like to say.

I think that this song is absolutely brilliant man. May i ask if Enter Shikari influenced you a bit? No offense or anything, but i think this song would actually be perfect with no vocals at all. I sort of see vocals as sort of spoiling the mood of it. But of course i have not heard the vocals so i can't really judge : ) 

When you have your vocals added, you really must post for us. I could see myself buying your CD no doubt about it, if you make one.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sambambo
@CornontheCobbe said:
" @SuperSambo:  
Let's Start Over is an awesome name for a band first thing I'd like to say.   I think that this song is absolutely brilliant man. May i ask if Enter Shikari influenced you a bit? No offense or anything, but i think this song would actually be perfect with no vocals at all. I sort of see vocals as sort of spoiling the mood of it. But of course i have not heard the vocals so i can't really judge : )   When you have your vocals added, you really must post for us. I could see myself buying your CD no doubt about it, if you make one. "
The band name has been a sore point between us, so thank you for your input regarding it. 

Enter are a MASSIVE influence on us, pretty much the only band we all like :)

We are now pretty scared about the vocals now :/. Everyone has said that it is good, but the vocals may ruin it!
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not sure about how the vocals will fit in, but it is very good

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Oh hey, I am gonna record some music and will have EZDrummer as my programmer. For guitars though, how did you record it? Mic?

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Castro
@Twilight said:
" Its gonna be hard to put vocals on that and not ruin the song. The chorus part sound nice and it's quite catchy. Good job! "
I'm going to come right out and say that it's not my cup of tea, but it did sound good. If I had one thing to say, it would be that it might be difficult to shoehorn lyrics into it. I am not musically inclined at all, but it seems to me as though most songs are created around lyrics and a melody. Adding lyrics later might be kinda difficult, unless you already have lyrics. In which case you should get to recording.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

Let's put it like this, if you guys had a n album released, I'd probably get it. Just work on the techno synth style parts a bit because in the beggining I felt like they were clashing with the guitars a bit. As though the melody of the synth was fighting to be heard.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Not exactly my type of music but still pretty good

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Black_Rose

That was pretty fucking sweet, however as many people have said, vocals can break this or make it even better. Can't say I dig the name of the band though. 

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sambambo
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Oh hey, I am gonna record some music and will have EZDrummer as my programmer. For guitars though, how did you record it? Mic? "
We used a toneport (I think) for the guitar.
Avatar image for deactivated-15136
deactivated-15136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sounds really good.  I think it will work best to keep it as an instrumental.  POST MORE!

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

haha wow, I was expecting a brad poor song by the title of this thread, but im 100% surprised. That was very well done. I like the beginning a lot. You think the song is going in one direction with the synth but you just totally switch directions. The pace never slowed down, it was steady throughout. It was very well thought out. 

NO VOCALS. Definitely not. The instruments speak more beautifully than any words could. Thats just my advice. Keep this song as is, if you want grab a vocalist later. Apocalyptica can go without a vocalist, so I'm sure you will be fine without one as well. I have to agree with a previous comment that I could see this song playing over clips of a video game. Thats not meant to take anything away from it, it's just got that beat that captures different emotions, and seems to tell a story. The bridge at 2:56 was VERY nice I like that. I was expecting more after that part but you finished it, which was also a good decision.  

I wouldn't buy it, since I don't buy individual songs. If you made an album, this is definitely something I would purchase. Keep it up bro :)

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Evilsbane
@SuperSambo:  Wow dude that was actually really good, just find someone who can actually sing and you might have yourself a fan.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By ProfessorEss

Yeah, color me surprised and impressed.
Real good writing, playing and production.

Curious to know what type of voice/vocals you have in your head for it.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DCFGS3

Really good dude, but how are you going to go with the vocals? Screamo or Punkish (Sum 41)? Not that those two are your options, because neither would be good options, screamo is shite, and there are way too many punk bands that sound the same. I think maybe something between the two, or something entirely different. I may be rambling.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@SuperSambo said:

" @ThePhantomnaut said:
" Oh hey, I am gonna record some music and will have EZDrummer as my programmer. For guitars though, how did you record it? Mic? "
We used a toneport (I think) for the guitar. "

Damn! That sounds pretty good.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scooper

I like it. It's not something I'd usualy think about listening to but it's got a great mix of techno and heavy riffs and a little "happy hardcore". I don't know what adding vocals would do to it though, maybe make it better or it might break it. But awesome first song! And that's the first time I've said that for these sorts of "listen to my song!" threads where they've all been pretty janky and crap. This was great ;).

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

Not my style of music but you guys are clearly good at what you do. If you've gotta add vocals i would actually suggest a female singer. Might fit better.
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StrikeALight

Colour me impressed, as well. Thought it was really good.

IrishDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By IrishDevil

That was great, repost when you add vocals. Keep at it, never let anyone tell you guys you are not good enough.
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By spaceturtle

For a first song that sounded pretty awesome. I loved the fact that the very dance/trance intro so fast turned into metal. For me as a listener and being a dude who never heard your music before it was a real surprise when the whole band joined in. The very trance-ish keyboard parts didnt do it for me though. But that might just come down to personal taste, you know. And finally, the song need vocals. But I guess you guy are either looking for a vocalist or you just havent recorded the vox yet.

But I have to ask, was this studio recorded or done yourselves in rehearsal rooms or whatever? Reason I ask is cause I find it to be a very good recording technical wise and was wondering what equipment you used when recording this, that is if you did this yourselves of course.

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ClownDetective

is that a gibson sg?

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FirePrince

That was HORRIBLE. 
And I am a horrible liar.That was awesome.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sambambo
@SPACETURTLE said:

" For a first song that sounded pretty awesome. I loved the fact that the very dance/trance intro so fast turned into metal. For me as a listener and being a dude who never heard your music before it was a real surprise when the whole band joined in. The very trance-ish keyboard parts didnt do it for me though. But that might just come down to personal taste, you know. And finally, the song need vocals. But I guess you guy are either looking for a vocalist or you just havent recorded the vox yet.  But I have to ask, was this studio recorded or done yourselves in rehearsal rooms or whatever? Reason I ask is cause I find it to be a very good recording technical wise and was wondering what equipment you used when recording this, that is if you did this yourselves of course. "

We used a toneport for the guitar and bass and Ableton live for the synth and mixing

@ClownDetective said:

" is that a gibson sg? "

It is... How did you know that?
Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cslaw
@DanielCoolDC said:
" I actually really liked it, to the point where I would purchase this song. My only complaint is that I didn't like  the synthesizer at the very beginning. "
i agree it sounded a little off in the beginning but overall it was pretty freakin sick, nice work!
nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nick_verissimo

First off, this is a very good track.  There are a lot of elements intertwined in here that you don't here very much (a.k.a your trance opening/close) especially around metalcore sounds.  To that, from a technical standpoint you guys don't need any pointers and you're all going to get way better as time goes on, but I'm not a huge fan of trance, so it almost felt like a gimmick to differentiate yourselves.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just not my cup of tea is all.  From a production standpoint, just turn down the drums and turn up the guitars and bass a little bit. Even though I'm a drummer and would love every song to revolve around the drums (i wish...) that was one issue I had, because there were some rally good moments (especially in the breakdown) that I wanted to hear a little more clearly.  Also, you guys nailed that standard metalcore pre-breakdown verse, which I really like certain in songs.  And now I'm definitely going to start following you on here because I want to see where your band goes from here and how you guys will sound with some vocals.  GOOD LUCK SIR !

Also, your drummer is a fucking powerhouse.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mythrol

It sounds decent for a first song. Much better than a lot of amateurs trying to make music.

If you specifically want some advice on how to improve the song; The intro needs to be changed up some. The synth needs to be faded out faster instead of still blaring in the background once the band gets going. It really dis jars the intro. The other option is to fade the rock in slower if you wanted a more techno intro. 

Once the rock gets going it sounds pretty good and you have a good mix with the synth. I realize without vocals you had the rock and synth volume cranked up, be sure once you add vocals that you turn that volume down. I see it all the time new bands that drown out the vocals with the music. Do NOT do this. 

Other than that, keep writing and keep making music. Not in some "cliche" way of "reach for the stars", but just because the more practice you get the better you'll be.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#43  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Very good, especially for a first song, I enjoyed it.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By dichemstys

I would pay to get the instrumental version. It's really good.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sambambo
@birdflu777 said:

" I would pay to get the instrumental version. It's really good. "

If you want you can download it for free from here.
Myrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Myrmidon

Generic intro, generic guitar riff..

It is pretty catchy but you ain't setting the world on fire.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Joeyoe31

pretty gewd. :3

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By tranquilchaos

Very cool.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BraveToaster

I liked it, it would be even better with some video game footage or action movie footage.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Wow,that song almost stuck in my head.'

That was actually a great,great song.

Need some vocals though