My band have just finished our first song. Opinions?

• 78 results
Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Bwast

Not really my cup of tea but better than most of the stuff I hear those damn kids listening to these days.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

When I saw "pop punk" and "happy hardcore" on the page I was expecting to absolutely hate it, but I actually quite enjoyed it. A good breakdown will always make me smile! Also I have to agree with everyone who said that whatever vocals you add will make or break it. Good luck with that. Otherwise I'd say you're off to a fine start.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By jakob187

The cymbals need to be brought down in the mix.  It's overriding way too many other things in the mix.  The guitar is pretty weak in the mix.  It needs to be more upfront, especially when you hit that breakdown.  That thing needs to be balls to the wall. 

The sampling stuff integrates very well into it, and I will also agree that vocals can make or break it.  I'm assuming it's going to be the standard scream/growl/sing that most "core" bands have going? 

Other than that, not too shabby. 

@ThePhantomnaut

said:

" Oh hey, I am gonna record some music and will have EZDrummer as my programmer. For guitars though, how did you record it? Mic? "

You can record stuff pretty easily nowadays with a decent level of quality, and you don't necessarily even need GOOD equipment.  You just need to know how to mix things well, get the sounds you want, and make the most of what you have available.  I recorded this with my cousin in my dining room:   http://www.myspace.com/embracethevillain

We recorded that using a little 15W Ibanez practice amp, some drum program (can't remember the name of it now), and a little $10 PC mic from Wal-Mart.  It's not the GREATEST production quality, but it's better than a lot of the local studios would've done.  We've still never added the bass track to it either.  The only time I ever added effects to my vocals were just a small pinch of chorus, and then at the end for the robotic sound.  Otherwise, it was just doing multi-tracking. 

I think I used Acid Pro for all of the editing and mixing.  Can't remember too well.
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By VisariLoyalist

kind of derivative actually

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By turbomonkey138

Sounds like enter shikari ...alot

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By Bruce

I don't like the drums.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#57  Edited By sjschmidt93

Sounds like something that doesn't need vocals. I like it a lot, though,

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By harris

Sounds great, but be careful with the vocals. 

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Shadow

That's actually pretty damn good.  After it's finished, put it up on the Rock Band Network.  That's far better than most of the crap that gets uploaded and would sell.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By TheMustacheHero

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Ryax

im not huge on technical shit but this is pretty good. very well done. vox will definitely complete this.

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By Themanohall

I think it's great without vocals. In fact, I think putting them in would hurt more than help, but that's just me.

Avatar image for xlibertyxprimex
xLIBERTYxPRIMEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By xLIBERTYxPRIMEx

WOOT love Trance! WOOT love Rock! Fusing the two together genius. You don't need any vocals with that.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@jakob187 said

@ThePhantomnaut

said:

" Oh hey, I am gonna record some music and will have EZDrummer as my programmer. For guitars though, how did you record it? Mic? "

You can record stuff pretty easily nowadays with a decent level of quality, and you don't necessarily even need GOOD equipment.  You just need to know how to mix things well, get the sounds you want, and make the most of what you have available.  I recorded this with my cousin in my dining room:   http://www.myspace.com/embracethevillain We recorded that using a little 15W Ibanez practice amp, some drum program (can't remember the name of it now), and a little $10 PC mic from Wal-Mart.  It's not the GREATEST production quality, but it's better than a lot of the local studios would've done.  We've still never added the bass track to it either.  The only time I ever added effects to my vocals were just a small pinch of chorus, and then at the end for the robotic sound.  Otherwise, it was just doing multi-tracking.  I think I used Acid Pro for all of the editing and mixing.  Can't remember too well. "
Indeed, I realized it after doing some test runs on the current equipment... cheap ESP "cockstock" Horizon, a 30W VOX Valvetronix hybrid amp, two Rock Band mics (PDP one as my main while the default Logitech is my backup), and Audacity filled with many plug-ins I need. I also have a cheap Squier bass that gets the job done plugged to a big enough Ibanez bass amp. I also connected my bass amp's output to my guitar amps input, sounded what I wanted for my bass distorted.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Sambambo

We've got another new demo up if any of you guys wanna check it out :)  It's a bit of a different style to the first one, got some of our other influences in there.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By jmrwacko

Kudos to it being instrumental - it's a relief to hear some trance-rock mix that isn't marred by poppy lyrics. Only piece of criticism I'd give is that the drum part is sort of boring with those quarter note cymbals and straight bass rhythm. I'd mix it up a little and use less cymbal/more tom toms. Also, needs more cowbell.

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By dopeman

this is just shithouse generic emo crabcore

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By Marz

IMO, just do an instrumental album....  putting a vocalist might ruin your lil trance / metal thing you got going there...  and if you do get a vocalist... don't get a screamo dude... sounds more like something a dude with a deeper voice might work better with.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Nice work mate, I'm really surprised to hear that was a home production because it all sounded very clean! I agree with the comments before suggesting you don't overlay vocals on that track. Whenever I hear vocalists for that sort of genre they're either going way too emotional with it or for the screaming "hardcore" sound which sounds just as poor. It was actually refreshing to hear something that was just instruments.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By EvilDingo

I differently like 'Demo 1' over 'Demo 2'. 

Demo 2 seems somehow more... generic... or something. 
Either way it's closer in genre to music, I personally just don't like. 

Your first demo is very good... and I too expected not to like it, when I read the genre you play - but I love being surprised

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By TwoOneFive

damn that music is dying for some hair-band quality vocals. somebody just needs to fucking scream awesome notes into a mic for it. lol good stuff dude. 

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Sambambo

@dopeman diss our music all you want, but don't ever call us "crabcore" :P 

For everyone else - thanks for the kind words and also the advice!!! It seems that the vocals are either gonna make or break the songs, so we're just hoping we can find someone good :)

veronicaXnerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By veronicaXnerdd

hopefully you can get decent vocals, because this sounds epic

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PillClinton

Damn that was pretty good.  Honestly, I don't think I'd like it as much with vocals.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Clinkz

It was alright. The synth at the beginning is not needed and its too much trouble trying to discern what you were going for. I heard a heavy riff in there followed by happier stuff. If your influences are Blink 182, then god please don't match their shitty vocals. You're from the UK look to Radiohead for inspiration lol. Other than that, good job man.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Clinkz
@dopeman said:

" this is just shithouse generic emo crabcore "

lol. And the 2nd demo was not that good honestly. Just went up and down the notes along with an obvious drum machine (I know you use one but still). This is the obvious influence of bad contemporary punk rock bands, I'm sorry.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Sambambo

@veronicaXnerdd and @100_Hertz    Thanks guys, glad you like em :D  If we don't anyone good we might just have to go instrumental anyway! 

@clinkz lol don't worry, blink-182 isn't really much influence on the music, they were just who got most of us into playing back in the day!  Yeh the 2nd demo is definately weaker, we were just trying out a different style, not sure if we'll stick with it. Thanks for the feedback :)

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Hot_Karl

I too preferred Demo 1 to Demo 2. I found the drum machine to be a bit too obvious, but I did like your riffs (they reminded me of Fall Out Boy...which isn't an immediately horrible thing, it's just an observation). Demo 1 needs some sweet-ass vocals however.