Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

Edited By lightwarrior179

2008 was a grand year. Just like every other year.

Don't know why but each and every year thousands of people like me say the same thing about that year as they stand at the dusk of it. Looking back at all the things we appreciated in our lives and the ones we may have over-looked. Looking back at all the things that became an integral part of our lives during the past year. Entertainment is a strange thing. It can inspire people and it can waste people's lives. But for most of us,entertainment is a day-to-day necessity the one without which life seems hollow and a little empty.

2008 was a special year for everyone in some or the other way. Not always in the good way. The entire world continued to suffer under terrorist attacks and financial meltdowns didn't help people's lives either. Many died,many more were born. The life continues...and at the end of the day I think the only thing that matters is we all have survived to see the sun rise for another year. I for one have gone through a lot in 2008 and I needn't go through all that again as most of you are familiar about that. I may not have lived to see 2009 at all so I guess I am really thankful to whosoever was related in making me a happier person I was once again. 

Of course no year can be given a farewell without first honouring and remembering the great achievements of the people of this world....

THE BEST OF 2008

Here all the things (well atleast most of them) that occured under the sun and which drew deserved attention and praise from across the world and from me of course have been given a mention here.

Each category has ONE winner and ONE runner ups. So no ties at all.

World

A lot of things happened in 2008 some of which were important for us and some of us which weren't important to others. stopped the activity in their nuclear weapons facility and evaded a probable war. challenged the "West" to dare them to stop their nuclear weapons production. US and the others tried but didn't listen to them. Hopefully we won't be having another war there. Terrorists attacked India a couple of times early on the year but the gruesome attack of 26/11 shocked the entire world and gave the entire humanity a sense of the power these terrorists had. In the aftermath to the attack,terrorism was given a tough answer by our once-vote bank politicians and all.

However the most important event of 2008 probably stands out to be the rise of someone who at first might seem unimportant to the rest of the world except US. I am talking about the victory of Barack Obama. Sure his victory broke a social stigma and all but why is his election so important to the entire world is because his ideas especially the ones about the current financial crisis has the potential to reduce the damage it does to the American economy and hence to the world economy as well.

Now for the category awards..

First the rules...

RULES :

• ALL OF THE NOMINEES SHOULD NECESSARILY NOT BE RELEASED IN 2008
  • THEY SHOULD BE WATCHED,PLAYED,HEARD,READ BY ME IN 2008

BOOKS

Best Book of 2008

Nominees

Prisoner of Birth (Jeffrey Archer)

The Castle (Franz Kafka)

Brisingr (Christopher Paolini)

The Three Mistakes of My Life (Chetan Bhagat)

Smiley's People (John Le Carre)

Runner-Up : Prisoner of Birth(Jeffrey Archer)

Winner : The Castle (Franz Kafka)

I read some great novels in 2008. I haven't finished reading Brisingr still but it seems like a good enough novel to qualify for my nominee list. But however, two of the books really stand out for me. One is Archer's brilliant re-interpretation of Dumas-cla$$ic, Count of Monte Cristo.He not only re-tells the revenge saga in a modern-day setting but he does so without drawing any comparisons with Dumas' novel.

However the winner is more than obvious. It goes to the mystical,intriguing and convulated story all set within a simplistic plot of The Castle. Last year,I got a taste of Kafka's infamous Metamorphosis and since then I've been a huge fan of his "dark humor" and his $tyle of "broken writing". I tried writing a short story in Kafka-esque $tyle but failed miserably. Guess there was one and only one Franz Kafka.

MOVIES

Movie of the Year

The Dark Knight

Burn After

Wall-E

Get Smart

Runner Up : Burn After

Winner : The Dark Knight

I think it is a pretty obvious choice in the end. Dark Knight was the most talked-about movie of this year and for a very good reason. It made people believe that superhero movie aren't always senseless plots with sub-mediocre action and CGI. Dark Knight is memorable for two things-- It's action and of course,Heath Ledger's performance. I haven't watched many movies of Ledger but I might have to being so impressed by his portrayal of comic world's most infamous villian.

Burn After Reading surprised me with it's dark humor,over-the-top violence and the Coen Brothers picture-perfect editing. Brad Pitt's most unique performance since the legendary Fight Club.

MUSIC

Special Category of 2008 : Most Disappointing Comeback

Death Magnetic (Metallica)

Black Ice (AC/DC)

Chinese Democracy (Guns N Roses)

The Cosmos Rock (Queen + Paul Rodgers)

Runner Up : The Cosmos Rock (Queen + Paul Rodgers)

Winner : Death Magnetic (Metallica)

2008 was a year of comebacks. And most of them fell head over their feet. Metallica continued their abysmal run with Death Magnetic. This album has got varied opinions from many sections but as far as I am concerned I just can't seem to like this album. Most of the songs are fillers and all the singles are awfully bad except the lead single,"The Day That Never Comes". This single gives some hope that Metallica can do something hopefully good enough in the future.

Oh..and I forgot that the Queen made their comeback replacing the late and great Freddie Mercury with somebody called Paul Rodgers. Where are the feet-tapping,jaw-snapping,head-banging music of the old Queen? I dare say The Cosmos sucks.

Album of the Year

Viva La Vida (Coldplay)

Dear Science (TV on the Radio)

(The Verve)

In Rainbows (Radiohead)

OK Computer (Radiohead)

Runner Up : OK Computer (Radiohead)

Winner : In Rainbows (Radiohead)

Radiohead was the music of 2008 for me. For what I went through during 2008 and for what I became in 2008. The moment I was introduced to them courtesy to Neon, I loved their unique "arid" $tyle of music that brought calm,comfort and solace to even the most depressed of the beings. OK Computer is a very good example of that. It perfectly defines the solitude and isolation that living in a big city could bring in one's life. In Rainbows is a perfect album where I like each and every of it's 11 songs.

Song of the Year

Cemeteries of (Viva La Vida--Coldplay)

Rather Be (--The Verve)

Halfway Home (Dear Science--TV on the Radio)

Paranoid Android (OK Computer--Radiohead)

Nude (In Rainbows--Radiohead)

RUNNER UP : Halfway Home (Dear Science--TV on the Radio)

WINNER :Paranoid Android (OK Computer--Radiohead)

If you read my blog header on my profile page that is enough to tell you how much I love "Paranoid Android". All I have to say for it is : "I May Be Paranoid But Not an Android." 

GAMES

Without any further ado...let's move onto the thing we've all been waiting for. 

Game of the Year 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV (X360)

Gears of War 2 (X360)

Final Fantasy VIII (PS)

Super Mario 64 (N64)

Left 4 Dead (PC)

Dead or Alive 4 (X360)

Braid (XBLA)

Metal Gear Solid (PS)

Runner Up :

Grand Theft Auto IV

I think if it wasn't for the winner this game would have most definitely one my GotY. Never before do I remember a game developer silencing it's critics by giving them a dose of their own medicine. GTA IV did that. It silenced most of it's critics by sobering up into a mature,action-packed and moreover a game that had it's heart in the right place. It doesn't intend to be brash or brutal about anything at all. It just tells an honest tale about an illegal immigrant trying to make ends meet by the only thing he knows--crime.

If it wasn't for it's humane protagonist Niko Bellic and his pals and foes that one encounters nor was it for the memorable then perhaps the game might have been forgotten. But Rockstar created a world sketched out of the heart of someone who knew New York City well as did he understand the anomalies of American culture and human sentient. The ending leaves a bitter-sweet taste in the mind but it also leaves a definite and moralistic impression of the game upon any human's mind who perseveres and plays this game.

And....

WINNER :

Final Fantasy VIII

I think there wasn't any one of you who didn't see this coming. It's the most probable,most ideal,most logical and the easiest choice to make. It simply boils down to this. Final Fantasy VIII is a game I have dreamt of playing since the moment I stepped into the realm of gaming. The game's every moment is the every moment I dreamt of living one day. No single game has had this much expectation from me. I expected Final Fantasy VIII to be nothing short of a masterpiece. And it amazed me...when it exceeded such impossibly high expectations and went on to become quite possibly the greatest game I have ever played,or ever will.

So that's it for now,folks.

Catch all of you next year,which is in a couple of minutes. 

So until then,Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year and a Good Luck to all of your future endeavors. May everyone get everything they wish for (don't wish too much though. )

C ya

Lightwarrior179

lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lightwarrior179

2008 was a grand year. Just like every other year.

Don't know why but each and every year thousands of people like me say the same thing about that year as they stand at the dusk of it. Looking back at all the things we appreciated in our lives and the ones we may have over-looked. Looking back at all the things that became an integral part of our lives during the past year. Entertainment is a strange thing. It can inspire people and it can waste people's lives. But for most of us,entertainment is a day-to-day necessity the one without which life seems hollow and a little empty.

2008 was a special year for everyone in some or the other way. Not always in the good way. The entire world continued to suffer under terrorist attacks and financial meltdowns didn't help people's lives either. Many died,many more were born. The life continues...and at the end of the day I think the only thing that matters is we all have survived to see the sun rise for another year. I for one have gone through a lot in 2008 and I needn't go through all that again as most of you are familiar about that. I may not have lived to see 2009 at all so I guess I am really thankful to whosoever was related in making me a happier person I was once again. 

Of course no year can be given a farewell without first honouring and remembering the great achievements of the people of this world....

THE BEST OF 2008

Here all the things (well atleast most of them) that occured under the sun and which drew deserved attention and praise from across the world and from me of course have been given a mention here.

Each category has ONE winner and ONE runner ups. So no ties at all.

World

A lot of things happened in 2008 some of which were important for us and some of us which weren't important to others. stopped the activity in their nuclear weapons facility and evaded a probable war. challenged the "West" to dare them to stop their nuclear weapons production. US and the others tried but didn't listen to them. Hopefully we won't be having another war there. Terrorists attacked India a couple of times early on the year but the gruesome attack of 26/11 shocked the entire world and gave the entire humanity a sense of the power these terrorists had. In the aftermath to the attack,terrorism was given a tough answer by our once-vote bank politicians and all.

However the most important event of 2008 probably stands out to be the rise of someone who at first might seem unimportant to the rest of the world except US. I am talking about the victory of Barack Obama. Sure his victory broke a social stigma and all but why is his election so important to the entire world is because his ideas especially the ones about the current financial crisis has the potential to reduce the damage it does to the American economy and hence to the world economy as well.

Now for the category awards..

First the rules...

RULES :

• ALL OF THE NOMINEES SHOULD NECESSARILY NOT BE RELEASED IN 2008
  • THEY SHOULD BE WATCHED,PLAYED,HEARD,READ BY ME IN 2008

BOOKS

Best Book of 2008

Nominees

Prisoner of Birth (Jeffrey Archer)

The Castle (Franz Kafka)

Brisingr (Christopher Paolini)

The Three Mistakes of My Life (Chetan Bhagat)

Smiley's People (John Le Carre)

Runner-Up : Prisoner of Birth(Jeffrey Archer)

Winner : The Castle (Franz Kafka)

I read some great novels in 2008. I haven't finished reading Brisingr still but it seems like a good enough novel to qualify for my nominee list. But however, two of the books really stand out for me. One is Archer's brilliant re-interpretation of Dumas-cla$$ic, Count of Monte Cristo.He not only re-tells the revenge saga in a modern-day setting but he does so without drawing any comparisons with Dumas' novel.

However the winner is more than obvious. It goes to the mystical,intriguing and convulated story all set within a simplistic plot of The Castle. Last year,I got a taste of Kafka's infamous Metamorphosis and since then I've been a huge fan of his "dark humor" and his $tyle of "broken writing". I tried writing a short story in Kafka-esque $tyle but failed miserably. Guess there was one and only one Franz Kafka.

MOVIES

Movie of the Year

The Dark Knight

Burn After

Wall-E

Get Smart

Runner Up : Burn After

Winner : The Dark Knight

I think it is a pretty obvious choice in the end. Dark Knight was the most talked-about movie of this year and for a very good reason. It made people believe that superhero movie aren't always senseless plots with sub-mediocre action and CGI. Dark Knight is memorable for two things-- It's action and of course,Heath Ledger's performance. I haven't watched many movies of Ledger but I might have to being so impressed by his portrayal of comic world's most infamous villian.

Burn After Reading surprised me with it's dark humor,over-the-top violence and the Coen Brothers picture-perfect editing. Brad Pitt's most unique performance since the legendary Fight Club.

MUSIC

Special Category of 2008 : Most Disappointing Comeback

Death Magnetic (Metallica)

Black Ice (AC/DC)

Chinese Democracy (Guns N Roses)

The Cosmos Rock (Queen + Paul Rodgers)

Runner Up : The Cosmos Rock (Queen + Paul Rodgers)

Winner : Death Magnetic (Metallica)

2008 was a year of comebacks. And most of them fell head over their feet. Metallica continued their abysmal run with Death Magnetic. This album has got varied opinions from many sections but as far as I am concerned I just can't seem to like this album. Most of the songs are fillers and all the singles are awfully bad except the lead single,"The Day That Never Comes". This single gives some hope that Metallica can do something hopefully good enough in the future.

Oh..and I forgot that the Queen made their comeback replacing the late and great Freddie Mercury with somebody called Paul Rodgers. Where are the feet-tapping,jaw-snapping,head-banging music of the old Queen? I dare say The Cosmos sucks.

Album of the Year

Viva La Vida (Coldplay)

Dear Science (TV on the Radio)

(The Verve)

In Rainbows (Radiohead)

OK Computer (Radiohead)

Runner Up : OK Computer (Radiohead)

Winner : In Rainbows (Radiohead)

Radiohead was the music of 2008 for me. For what I went through during 2008 and for what I became in 2008. The moment I was introduced to them courtesy to Neon, I loved their unique "arid" $tyle of music that brought calm,comfort and solace to even the most depressed of the beings. OK Computer is a very good example of that. It perfectly defines the solitude and isolation that living in a big city could bring in one's life. In Rainbows is a perfect album where I like each and every of it's 11 songs.

Song of the Year

Cemeteries of (Viva La Vida--Coldplay)

Rather Be (--The Verve)

Halfway Home (Dear Science--TV on the Radio)

Paranoid Android (OK Computer--Radiohead)

Nude (In Rainbows--Radiohead)

RUNNER UP : Halfway Home (Dear Science--TV on the Radio)

WINNER :Paranoid Android (OK Computer--Radiohead)

If you read my blog header on my profile page that is enough to tell you how much I love "Paranoid Android". All I have to say for it is : "I May Be Paranoid But Not an Android." 

GAMES

Without any further ado...let's move onto the thing we've all been waiting for. 

Game of the Year 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV (X360)

Gears of War 2 (X360)

Final Fantasy VIII (PS)

Super Mario 64 (N64)

Left 4 Dead (PC)

Dead or Alive 4 (X360)

Braid (XBLA)

Metal Gear Solid (PS)

Runner Up :

Grand Theft Auto IV

I think if it wasn't for the winner this game would have most definitely one my GotY. Never before do I remember a game developer silencing it's critics by giving them a dose of their own medicine. GTA IV did that. It silenced most of it's critics by sobering up into a mature,action-packed and moreover a game that had it's heart in the right place. It doesn't intend to be brash or brutal about anything at all. It just tells an honest tale about an illegal immigrant trying to make ends meet by the only thing he knows--crime.

If it wasn't for it's humane protagonist Niko Bellic and his pals and foes that one encounters nor was it for the memorable then perhaps the game might have been forgotten. But Rockstar created a world sketched out of the heart of someone who knew New York City well as did he understand the anomalies of American culture and human sentient. The ending leaves a bitter-sweet taste in the mind but it also leaves a definite and moralistic impression of the game upon any human's mind who perseveres and plays this game.

And....

WINNER :

Final Fantasy VIII

I think there wasn't any one of you who didn't see this coming. It's the most probable,most ideal,most logical and the easiest choice to make. It simply boils down to this. Final Fantasy VIII is a game I have dreamt of playing since the moment I stepped into the realm of gaming. The game's every moment is the every moment I dreamt of living one day. No single game has had this much expectation from me. I expected Final Fantasy VIII to be nothing short of a masterpiece. And it amazed me...when it exceeded such impossibly high expectations and went on to become quite possibly the greatest game I have ever played,or ever will.

So that's it for now,folks.

Catch all of you next year,which is in a couple of minutes. 

So until then,Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year and a Good Luck to all of your future endeavors. May everyone get everything they wish for (don't wish too much though. )

C ya

Lightwarrior179

stanhigareda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By stanhigareda

Interesting blog. :) Considering that you added some interesting replies regarding the current world :)

Have a great year yourself and thanks for the great wishes :)

lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lightwarrior179

Stan-- Thanks,sir.

I would have loved to talk about the "world's" current state more but I didn't in the fear of going off-topic. 
I wish you a Happy New Year and best luck for all your future endeavors as well. :)
KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By KnightsofRound

Great blog light, I found it especially interesting how you included many different categories of various things such as books, films, music, and games.

I agree with you about FFVIII (of course! :D) I too had played the demo of this game many ages ago back when I was 13 but had not had the opportunity to play it until december of 2007 when I was 19.  I finally had my hands on this game and I must say this game went above and beyond the expectations I had for it and absolutely blew me away.  It is easily a contender for my favourite game of all time.

That being said, I am glad that you have survived through the suffering caused in your country during 2008, I must admit I am thankful that such occurances rarely, if ever, occur in Canada.  Continue to be safe, and here is hoping for a better year in 2009, for humanity in general.  As corny as it sounds, (and as much as I think it is impossible), I hope I may live to see the day where the humans of this world can set aside their petty differences and throw away such meaningless things as terrorism and live peacefully amongst one another, but I guess such is human nature to seek power, conquest, and war, as it has been a problem that has plagued humanity since the dawn of time.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By LightYagami245

I must agree with Knights. I hope for more safety in 09 than in 08.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

that was a little biassed dont cha think?

Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Paranoid Android is fucking epic, and Rather Be is an interesting choice. it's definitely my favorite song from Forth, although the album as a whole was a pretty big disappointment for me. Ashcroft doesn't have it in him any more.

and please stop making me want to play FFVIII... i'm trying to make some progress in Guild Wars and tempting me to play FFVIII isn't exactly helping my situation :D

lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lightwarrior179

psychomode-- Paranoid Android is definitely a fucking epic. It's  my favorite from OK Computer (fucking epic as well) along with Airbag,Karma Police,No Surprises and Subterranean Homesick Alien. :D

Well,Forth lacked the soothing melodies of Urban Hymns for sure and it's expected that Ashcroft's voice will deteriorate with age (drugs and alcohol problem don't help much either). But compared to the other "comeback" albums of this year,Forth was a decent album in my opinion.
Although if I were Ashcroft,I would call it The Verve's final as well. They have peaked in the past and now they must leave it.

And you still playing Guild Wars? WTF!! Play some FFVIII,d00d. Leave that MMORPG back and get playin' some real RPG. :P

ZombieHunter-- Suit whichever way you think.

LightYagami-- Yes,we all hope for that too. :)

Knights-- Thanks,Jorey. I was able to include such various categories because I have keen interests in each of those regions of entertainment. 
FFVIII is possibly the greatest game ever created. Nuff' said. :D
I too wish the entire world remains safe during 2009 but I doubt that will happen. War in Gaza,Blasts in Assam have already welcomed 2009 with blood and deaths. I don't think humanity can unite as one until or unless they are stuck by an imminient doom. 
Something like what happens in Mass Effect's backstory. I wish aliens attack us and knock some sense into us senseless humans.
Stay safe,my friend. :)