My favorite 80s Pop songs (and tell us yours too)

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I was listening to some 80s Pop today, and I realized that that time period as a whole is pretty good (and that's a bit of an understatement). I actually first got into 80s Pop -- and this is going to be predictable -- when I played Vice City. It's certainly one of the reasons I'm so fond of the game. I never really had given songs from that period of time a second thought. I'd heard a lot of them growing up, but I was never a real big fan. It was only when Vice City hit that I was struck by the proverbial epiphany, if you will, and I realized that this stuff is pretty damn good. 

I've got hundreds of songs in my 80s Pop folder but most of them are singles. I was hoping that you guys could throw a few out there that might be slightly less common that I haven't heard of. That way I can leech off you and discover new musics. In any case, here are my top ten (actually top fifteen, but I've only commented on the top ten). Grooveshark playlist is (hopefully) embedded below for a listen if you so desire.

15. Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley (Not a joke. Although this song is known for other things deriving from the internet, I think it's actually alright.)
14. Suddenly Last Summer - The Motels
13. Sailing - Christopher Cross
12. They Don't Know - Tracy Ullman
11. The Power of Love - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

10. Rumors - Timex Social Club. I find this to be such a strange song. It's good, but most definitely strange. Maybe it's because of the pseudo-mature content, talking about tasting Tina's juices among other things. I just wasn't expecting it when I first heard the song, but I really like this one. It's fairly popular. I happen to think that it's a better tune than a lot of other wave pop, namely Billie Jean. But that's just me.

9. Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling. Major Tom is really haunting. It's a spin-off from the David Bowie song. As a song I like it more than Bowie's hit though most would probably disagree with me. Still, its content is what does it for me. The music itself is meek (which is fitting), but it's the lyrics that get the job done, if I can use such a hackneyed phrase.

8. Love My Way - The Psychedelic Furs. This is hella more haunting than Major Tom. It's also a better song, though I've listened to it so many times that I'm kinda worn out. Also, lead singer's voice (whose name I've forgotten) is totally laryngitis-y awesome.

7. Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears. Everybody Wants to Rule the World is a classic. It's so smooth, and I feel like it's Tears for Fears' best work.

6. A View to a Kill - Duran Duran. This song might surprise some as much as the fact that I've picked it as the 6th best 80s Pop song might surprise others, but that's only probably because it was commissioned for the James Bond film of the same name. In actuality it's a terrific piece. It's my favorite Duran Duran work, and it pretty much epitomizes 80s Pop.

5. Sister Christian - Night Ranger. I've still got no idea why I like this song so much, because I really shouldn't, and yet it sticks in there. I definitely like it infinitely more for the acoustic bits than the more rock-oriented chorus.

4. Karma Chameleon - Culture Club. I don't know if you have a problem with Boy George, but Karma Chameleon is more than alright. Especially the bit where the beat breaks down towards the end and it's just people clapping. Best part of the song, lasts ten seconds.

3. Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club. I wish I could rank this higher, I really do; if I could I would put this at #1 but the following two songs are just as good. I don't know if many people know this one. It's like a sleeper hit or something. It's so much easy listening, it's so much musac or elevator music, but somehow it manages to be rad. Can't get it out of my head on days when it gets stuck in there.

2. Africa - Toto. Of course! Toto's best work. Chorus is the best part. Enough has been said.

1. Such a Shame - Talk Talk. I think this will surprise 80s aficionados as well, but there's nothing I'm willing to do about that. I just love how the whole lyric comes from halfway down the singer's straining throat. It's like the song's being squeezed out through a sponge. And I find it impossible not to scream along with him, which is why I don't listen to this song in public anymore.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ravensword

I kind hate to go with teh obvious Michael Jackson, but damn i loved Billie Jean in GTA Vice city. Would always wait to hear it come on.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I was typing up my favorites but realized I'd be here for a while so here's a post saying there's way too many for me to list.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Thanks Saints Row 2
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Lemoncookie01: That game had a good 80s radio station. They didn't have a whole lot of songs but the ones they did have were good choices. Except maybe for Pretty in Pink. I still can't figure out why people like that song.
DrGanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By DrGanon

Technically it's a cover of a song from the 60's, but the cover is from the 80s and is awesome.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Prolly because I didn't grow up in the 80's, but I have no interest in 80's music at all. It's amazing to see how much styles of music can change over 30 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HODGEY3000

New Order- bizarre love triangle
Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Master_Funk

You can't mess with either of these.I could name a hell of a lot more from these two.  MJ and prince were easily the most forward thinking artists of the 80s.

Toto's actual best work 

Even though its rip off of of Prince's 1999, I like it
simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By simian

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have a 'Best of Tears for Fears' on my Nexus1.
I totally agree with the OP that Vice City openned my eyes 80s pop though Donnie Darko helped as well. When I was a kid I listened to a lot of it but that's because A) I was a kid B) I got the tapes from my parents collection C) I didn't know any 'cool' kids.

ITheKTrainI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ITheKTrainI

In no particular order here are some of favourites from the 80's

Safety Dance - Men without hats
Call Me - Blondie
Straight Up - Paula Abdul
Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
A View to a Kill - Duran Duran
Don't you want me - Human League
Africa - Toto

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By habster3
@hematurge said:

"Rockwell - Somebody's watchin me 
Ready For The World - Love you down (most of their stuff really) 
Pretty much anything Michael Jackson - my favs from him were late 70's. Off The Wall, that whole album. 
Human League - Don't you want me 
Squeeze - Tempted  
Duran Duran - Hungry like the wolf 
Queen & David Bowie - Under pressure That's all I got off the top of my head. "

Under Pressure came out in the mid '70s...      EDIT: OOPS! It did come out in the '80s; NEVERMIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as my choices, I just don't like '80s pop  that much (or most pop, for that matter), but I do think "Thriller" and "Beat It" by MJ were alright. However, if Pop Metal can be included, I would say these: 

Talk Dirty to Me- Poison 
Still of the Night- Whitesnake (Sex Police LOL! Sorry, Music Video reference...)
Pour Some Sugar on Me- Def Leppard 
You Give Love a Bad Name- Bon Jovi 
I Wanna Rock- Twisted Sister 
Sweet Child 'O Mine- Guns 'N' Roses

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bruce

This is a great topic. Um, I'm going to say "Avalon" by Roxy Music.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Do you think we could all agree on the one definitive 80s Pop song? Probably too many conflicting opinions. Obviously there's no "definitive" song, but it would be interesting to see if we could all agree on one song.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Safety dance.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By JJOR64

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust

This thread inspired me to make a list for myself.  I wrote a blog containing it here:  My favorite 80's songs (a sizable list)  It's 163 songs long, so I didn't bother placing the songs in any order of importance, but they are in a loose order of release date.  Once, I started, I just couldn't really stop.  

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

R-R-R-Rockmeadeus!