My kneecap popped out and then back in, what should I do?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Giantbomb! I need some advise. Last night I sat down and I must have twisted my leg wrong because my kneecap popped out and then back in. it hurt like hell.

Anyway I booked a doctors appointment to have it checked out, but that's not for a few days, in the meantime I have no idea what i should be doing. It hurts but I can definitely walk, half the steps I take though it feels like my knee is going to give out.

Should I be walking and trying to stretch it out, or should I be resting and avoid putting weight on it? what should I be doing?

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Legend

I'd go to the hospital emergency if I were you. If you keep walking on it, you might hurt it even more and it might require an operation. Better make sure everything is ok as soon as you can. And don't walk on it. Ask someone to take you there by car and help you get inside.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

cut it off and grow a new one probably

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Rest your knee dude.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

D:

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Pie

You should probably get that checked out, I don't think they're meant to do that

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Serious answer time, though.

Don't put pressure on it. Try to walk as little as possible and just take it easy until the doctor tells you what more you need to do. The less you strain it, the better. I would personally check and see if it hurts to touch, and if it does, REALLY do not do anything to it. Don't try to power through whatever hurts because you are just making it much worse for yourself.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've seen dudes that managed to get their kneecaps all kinds of twisted from some insignificant shit, so I suggest you keep it cool for a while until you get it look at. You don't want to be that dude whose kneecap is on the back of his leg.

Daemon069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take it from someone who's had multiple injuries to both knees, stay the hell off of it until that doctors appointment. Keep your leg up and avoid walking on it as much as possible. When you see the doctor, if they recommend physio, do it. If the doctor doesn't mention physio, ask. It sounds obvious enough but I blew out one of my knees back in grade school and never had physio or anything for it, now it aches like a motherlover on particularly cold winter days (which is four months out of the year here in Ottawa) and I have to wear a brace for it nearly every time I leave the house now, absolutely when I'm going to work. Joint and back injuries ain't nuttin' to fuck wit'.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedRoach

@artelinarose: @daemon069: Thanks for the advise, I'll definitely keep off it as much as possible until I can see the doctor.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep doing it until you can do it at will, then go to parties and do it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Pop out the other knee to equalise it. That's how bodies work, dude. Notice who we have two of everything?

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never use your knee again.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@49th said:

Pop out the other knee to equalise it. That's how bodies work, dude. Notice who we have two of everything?

Where's my second dong?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You should probably get that new Mario game everyone is raving about.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 49th

@flappy said:

@49th said:

Where's my second dong?

What do you mean? You don't have one??

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Some people have shoulders that dislocate easily. I heard that on an episode of LOST.

But seriously, you should take this problem to Reddit or 4chan, they'll know what to do.

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As some who has dislocated my kneecap four times, I think I can give you some good advice. Then again, I dislocate it all the time because I have loose joints. Anyways, walk on it as little as possible. One of the times that it went back in on its own after it popped out, I was at football practice. I took an hour break and tried to shake it off and get back to practice. By the end of the day, I couldn't walk on my own from all of the swelling.

Moral of the story is that you should do as little walking or bending as possible. My doctor would tell me to treat it with the acronym RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Also, once your knee pops out once, the chances of it popping out again soon are greater. I'm assuming that's because you just stretched all of those tendons and ligaments. Hopefully I helped!

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mano521

see a doctor i assume

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Deranged

Dude, stop walking on it. That cannot be helping at all.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bobbyr

I usually had ice on my football injuries and then put dry heat on them, overnight, when I went to bed. Hope your knee feels less crappy dude!

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now is the perfect time to do acrobats

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're not doctors, dummy. Go to a fucking doctor.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Coafi

Gross, put some ice on it...? Or ask WebMD.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@levio said:

Some people have shoulders that dislocate easily. I heard that on an episode of LOST.

But seriously, you should take this problem to Reddit or 4chan, they'll know what to do.

Going by some of the posts here, looks like 4chan came to us instead.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call Zobek.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The same thing happened to me and I tore some tendons and ligaments and good stuff like that. It's never been right since. It'll pop out every so often which is a pain when I have to pop it back in. So I think you should get it checked out as soon as possible. I recently had the same thing happen to my ring finger recently, right down at the knuckle and I went to a doctor right away but once you dislocate something it'll never be the same again.

So I recommend that if you hurt yourself enough to ask people on a videogame website for medical advice you should probably get yourself to a doctor.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill yourself. It's the end of the line for you.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Are you by any chance Derrick Rose? I'd rest up dude and maybe walk gingerly on it for awhile. Maybe grab a cane or crutches if putting wait hurts.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignore it and hope it never happens again, that's what I do with medical issues.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Nictel

We're not doctors, dummy. Go to a fucking doctor.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't put weight on it. Ice it if it is swelling/has inflammation. Most importantly see a doctor who actually knows what he is talking about, because we obviously don't. But until then, take it easy and ice it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

@49th said:

Where's my second dong?

You mean you don't have a second? Weird...

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll reply in a moment after consulting some orthopeadic books, but as MikeHawk said; RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Is it swollen right now? For now, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) will suffice. It means to let your knee rest, put ice on if it is swelling and elevate your leg while lying down, i.e. put pillows onder your foot/leg. Make sure your leg is completely immobile to let it heal up a bit. If you start experiencing fevers or horrible pains, consult your doctor asap.

The doctor's going to send you in for some X-ray photo's of your knee to rule out a bone fracture or a loose bone fragment. If there is massive bleeding, the doctor will drain the blood and fluid with a needle. After that, your knee and leg will be immobilised for 4 (up to 6) weeks. You will need some specific quadriceps excersizes to strenghten the muscle upholding your knee cap. It might be that in America this is not offered as a standard procedure and you should ask if you can get physiotherapy. Since you luxated your knee cap once, you will have a higher chance of luxating your knee cap again. You might experience a life long of luxating your knee cap again and again, be careful with sudden movements of the knee and with running-intensive sports. It is normal for your knee cap to pop back right in but the damage should not get unchecked.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I agree with all the people in this thread saying to eat rice, it is a perfect knee fix no matter the problem.

If rice doesn't fix it, try ramen noodles.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're currently stable and it isnt causing you too much trouble, dont go to the emergency room. Wait for the appointment.

I would rest it, dont do any strenuous things (dont walk up stairs, dont run, dont walk long distances). Just watch it until you go to the doctor.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Please don't ask for medical advice on the forums. If you're concerned about your knee you should go to the ER immediately.