My New Child (Song)...Is Kinda Drugtacular?

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By mattysen

Peoplez I have too preach...Why have I made a song for the stoned? Maybe one to many cartoons from Gainax..... But that is for you to judge...  
It has a crappy intro and crappy bass because every piece of  software made the bass louder than it was suppose to be. I also made it far too quickly (only a couple of hours) so mistakes are bound, there still is a bit of polish. 

"Would you kindly" send me some criticism on what to make improvements, cheers
mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattysen

Peoplez I have too preach...Why have I made a song for the stoned? Maybe one to many cartoons from Gainax..... But that is for you to judge...  
It has a crappy intro and crappy bass because every piece of  software made the bass louder than it was suppose to be. I also made it far too quickly (only a couple of hours) so mistakes are bound, there still is a bit of polish. 

"Would you kindly" send me some criticism on what to make improvements, cheers
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By FesteringNeon
@mattysen:

I think the idea is pretty cool to be honest. I really like the crazy/trippy warped vibe it has going on.  

I think it needs a normal constant though, besides the beat that enters around the 2:00 mark.. and after the exit, try and throw it off by waking the listener up with a very high bit rate fill (320?) , to a very clean upbeat transition. I know the clarity doesn't come through youtube all that well, but a clean change of tempo, and mixing some pads/drones in with it will do wonders.  

Also, come up with something very constant for the beginning. When you do a scale intro, it gets the point across, as you're doing.. but progressively adding to it will dry out the main beat as it comes together.. Start simple. Jeff does a great job of setting a bass line, then adding his quirky beats to it. He donsn't typically layer at a time. He'll give you the main course right away, but add in a few dinner rolls here and there. Same goes here... get to trippy, but don't give the audience a taste of it until you're ready to dish it out. Then do your crazy "in a trance" stuff, and exit and change tempos with something very clean, and numbing. Then incorporate the trance in bits (like a mix).. and exit in a dark, sadistic way.  Always a good lasting impression ; )
mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mattysen
@bukkookkub said:
" I think the idea is pretty cool to be honest. I really like the crazy/trippy warped vibe it has going on.   I think it needs a normal constant though, besides the beat that enters around the 2:00 mark.. and after the exit, try and throw it off by waking the listener up with a very high bit rate fill (320?) , to a very clean upbeat transition. I know the clarity doesn't come through youtube all that well, but a clean change of tempo, and mixing some pads/drones in with it will do wonders.   Also, come up with something very constant for the beginning. When you do a scale intro, it gets the point across, as you're doing.. but progressively adding to it will dry out the main beat as it comes together.. Start simple. Jeff does a great job of setting a bass line, then adding his quirky beats to it. He donsn't typically layer at a time. He'll give you the main course right away, but add in a few dinner rolls here and there. Same goes here... get to trippy, but don't give the audience a taste of it until you're ready to dish it out. Then do your crazy "in a trance" stuff, and exit and change tempos with something very clean, and numbing. Then incorporate the trance in bits (like a mix).. and exit in a dark, sadistic way.  Always a good lasting impression ; ) "
Thats some great advice right there. I do need to work on some tempo variation, thats kinda my next goal if you will. So a really fast fill would be a great idea, I'd probably drop into an unbeat-matched loop for insanity or something. My intention for the intro was a typical minimalistic intro that made the listener think "Here we go again", and increase the trippy riffs in quickly, then drop into a completely different sounding stoner piece. I did essentially scale intro, but it was solely drum and bass minimalism where it couldn't be herd very well as scale. But I guess I should have seconded a bass track with a little less distortion and an octave higher for the intro, more gradually throw in the dinner rolls and WABAM! Also, holy crap! thats another great idea for the ending. I don't really know how to end a song, just play out the main riff with most of the instruments. But an uneasy way to end is the shit when you think about it. Cheers