My new home was burglarized. Need security camera advice.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

I'm still in the process of remodeling my new house so nothing has been moved in yet. My power tools were taken as that was really the only thing of value (they left my vacuum cleaner for some reason), but I'm annoyed that I couldn't do anything about it.

I had intended to put in some security measured once I moved in, but it seems I can't wait. What do you guys recommend for security camera setups and other things I might need? I know you can't stop someone from breaking into your house if they are determined to do so, but getting them on camera with a live feed notification is a start.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mellotronrules
Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to do some research when I got my house a couple years ago and this year when my sister got her house several months ago. Based off what I read and videos I watched.

• Security Cam: Arlo Pro
  • Security System: Simplisafe
  • Bonus: Ring Video Doorbell (if your front door has at least 6 foot corridor since the camera coming on has some lag turning on after motion).
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been looking at Ring branded items. Anyone have experience with Ring Doorbell or Ring Spotlight?

Loading Video...

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awww, bummer to hear that duder! i can't speak from experience (only lived in apartments), but i generally trust wirecutter's advice. even if to just read up on what's out there.

here are a few guides.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-home-security-system/

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-outdoor-home-security-camera/

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-home-security-camera/

I also have only lived in apartments, but will recommend the wirecutter. Their breakdowns are usually very good and well researched.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Hate to hear that duder. The only thing, on top of actual monitoring stuff, is getting one of those fake "Home Security" signs, stickers or fake but convincing looking cameras and putting it in the front and backyard. Not gonna actually stop someone from coming in or alerting you, but on the off chance it deters someone it's worth the cheap cost. All of it might cost around 30 bucks.

You can even get ones that have real Home security companies on them. Not like a burglar is gonna check to see if it's the real deal; they'll either not care and break in or see it and hightail.

Edit: Thought about this too; I have solar powered stake lights around my house. Keeps it lit up at night just enough to make skulking inconspicuously almost impossible. This and the signs/stickers placed on the grounds have been my only means of deterrence all these years. Of course I live in a relatively safe neighborhood. Not saying there's no crime around here, but I've never had anyone break in either. Just some advice on a cheaper alternative to actual home security stuff. Obviously you'll get real protection the other way around, but thought I'd give a few tips of what has (so far) worked for me.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a little off topic but are you able to get a dog? If you have the time and the desire to look after a furry friend, they can repay you in excellent security. Find a breed with a deep loud bark. I used to live in the countryside in Ireland and there were several instances when someone tried to break in but very quickly ran away when they heard barking / got bitten. Woke up one day to a broken porch window and my dog chewing on a black glove.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

Maybe a little off topic but are you able to get a dog? If you have the time and the desire to look after a furry friend, they can repay you in excellent security. Find a breed with a deep loud bark. I used to live in the countryside in Ireland and there were several instances when someone tried to break in but very quickly ran away when they heard barking / got bitten. Woke up one day to a broken porch window and my dog chewing on a black glove.

The house/yard isn't dog secure yet as there is no fence and no one present at the house to care for the potential dog.

I have been looking at many Nest and Ring product reviews on youtube to get a sense of the wifi security cam market. It looks like I'll need to go with a wired option as cameras with batteries seem to have issues. The full potential for these cameras can only be unlocked with a subscription and that's a bummer. My research continues.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I installed one of those security systems, with sensors and motion detectors. There are some very good ones, I went with SimpliSafe

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Cameras are okay, but you should still make it has hard as possible to get in. ...even if they got in once.

Evelynn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Evelynn1

You can consider installing a wireless security camera with motion detection. Those cameras will allow you to monitor your home with your smart phone. Also, a dog may help to prevent burglary.

A few options:

https://enlargesecurity.com/products/1080p-hd-wireless-ip-security-surveillance-camera-system-for-home-or-business-with-local-microsd-record?variant=39764527817

https://enlargesecurity.com/products/af-bm01-1080p-hd-wireless-ip-security-surveillance-camera-system-for-home-or-business-with-local-microsd-record?variant=40246139913

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I use the Netgear Arlo. It’s great because it’s wireless so it’s easy to install. Setup is quick and uses a base connected to your router. It only turns on if someone walks near it and you can set sensitivity and other parameters. This means that the rechargeable batteries last about 2 or 3 months. I caught a guy stealing mail and the quality was good enough for someone to identify him.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the Netgear Arlo. It’s great because it’s wireless so it’s easy to install. Setup is quick and uses a base connected to your router. It only turns on if someone walks near it and you can set sensitivity and other parameters. This means that the rechargeable batteries last about 2 or 3 months. I caught a guy stealing mail and the quality was good enough for someone to identify him.

How is the lag and recording? It looks like it only activate when it detects motion, but I've seen reports that it takes up to 20 seconds for the camera to start recording.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good dead bolts and arm yourself. Im on the east coast and and in the country, it seems super neat everyone on board about cameras - but I've never seen anyone give a shit about that here. They eventually get caught but sure don't care about it in the moment. A good deadbolt puts the burden of breaking into your house onto the frame of your door, if you don't trust the frame of your door you've got bigger fish to fry.

Its about why you got robbed, they took your tools they either needed them or sold them, no one wants to buy your vacuum, even at the pawn shop - which may be where your tools ended up at.

Im old fashioned and probably completely out of touch, but my house isnt a walmart or some retail store where I need to get them on film and make sure I get the best picture of them. The door, a good deadbolt is as strong as the door frame, the windows, outside of bars, you're looking at an alarm system and relying on someone else - which you will always be doing if you arent home at the time.

The old saying is locks keep honest people out, because past that you're physically breaking something - the door frame a window etc and that draws attention.