My review of Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (alt title: My descent into madness, caused by Gundams)

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By wchigo

All the events in the Universal Century timeline prior to this has led up to this moment. Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ were the preludes leading up to the finale that isMobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack. It is important to have knowledge of the story and characters from Mobile Suit Gundam, as you will not understand the relationships or the motivations for many of the featured characters.

The movie starts off revealing the fact that Char Aznable, the primary antagonist in the original Gundam series, is now the leader of Neo Zeon. His intention is to save Earth by destroying the Earth Federation and committing genocide by killing all the people living on Earth. How does he plan to do this you ask? By dropping asteroids on Earth to create a nuclear winter, thus rendering it uninhabitable; in fact, one of the first things that happens in the movie is that an asteroid is dropped on Lhasa, Tibet, causing cataclysmic damage. However, a second asteroid must be dropped before his true goal can be achieved. The Earth Federation, with the help of ace pilot Amuro Ray, the primary protagonist in the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, must find a way to stop the charismatic leader of Neo Zeon before he can finish what he already started.

That is the basic set-up and storyline of the movie, with numerous action scenes as well as quieter character moments to give audiences a deeper look into what drives our heroes and villains. You can feel the hatred that Char and Amuro have towards one another, to the point where Amuro is willing to do whatever it takes, including sacrificing himself, to kill Char. Honestly, the best parts of the movie are when it focuses on these two individuals and it tends to veer wildly off course when the focus shifts to other people.

Many questionable choices are made by other characters throughout the film and I am unable to sympathize or rationalize with any of their actions. I will warn you that I do plan to talk about some spoilers starting now but I will mark down where the spoilers end.

***WARNING: SPOILERS START HERE***

People are idiots in this movie and make the worst decisions EVER!! As previously established, Char intends to wipe out all life on Earth. He has his reasons, however misguided they may be, and it is because he feels that humans living on Earth have become complacent and harm the Earth by polluting it. The only way to save the planet is to “reset things” by eradicating all life on Earth and allowing it to start over again from scratch.

Knowing Char’s plans, but not necessarily knowing his motivations, the high ranking officials in the Earth Federation try to establish a treaty with Neo Zeon; in doing so, they provide Char with an asteroid base in exchange for gold and the promise that Neo Zeon will disarm their fleet and hand it over to the Earth Federation.

…WHAT?! Char already dropped one asteroid on Earth and now you’re going to sell him another one just because he promised that he’ll play nice?? I… I can’t even. Just… no, no. How does this make sense to anyone at all? He’s already dropped one asteroid on Earth and now just because of some piece of paper he’s not going to drop a second asteroid that you handed to him on a silver platter?

Hey Earth Federation guys, remember when this happened?!
Hey Earth Federation guys, remember when this happened?!
Guess not, since you decided to SELL THEM ANOTHER ASTEROID!!!
Guess not, since you decided to SELL THEM ANOTHER ASTEROID!!!

Aside from this, I had issues with several characters in the story. I will try to give a short introduction to each character ahead of time before explaining my issues with them. One of the primary individuals involved with the treaty is the Earth Federation Prime Minster Adenaur Paraya. His daughter is Quess Paraya, who ends up being a Newtype. Bright Noa is one of the heroes from the One Year War (Mobile Suit Gundam) and his son is Hathaway Noa. Chan Agi is a technical officer who was working on the RX-93 Nu Gundam, which Amuro pilots in this movie, and she seems to be his lover based on several scenes.

//deep breath in, deep breath out//

Okay, here we go. Adenaur and Quess Paraya were on Earth and took a shuttle into space in order to meet with officials from Neo Zeon for the treaty signing. Using his status, he jumps the queue to board a spacecraft but decides to allow one more person on board since he used his privilege to cut in line. That allows Hathaway Noa, who was there with his mom and sister, to board the shuttle. As the shuttle heads into space, it narrowly avoids collision with the asteroid dropped on Tibet. During this near miss, Quess is screaming at the pilot to go further right, even though he can’t hear her. She doesn’t have a seat belt on so she ends up floating out of her seat and Hathaway, who was sitting with them, pulls her back down so she doesn’t end up hurting herself.

In space, no one can hear you scream...
In space, no one can hear you scream...

The shuttle is damaged and ends up being rescued by an Earth Federation ship, who’s captain is Bright Noa (Hathaway’s father). Amuro is also stationed on this ship as they are the task force, named Londo Bell, that was assigned to stop Char from succeeding. During their time on the ship, Quess and Hathaway try out a combat simulation program that is using data from the most recent battle and they are allowed to do so because of Adenaur’s standing. Quess wanders off and is stopped from going any further in the hangar by one of the officers on the ship. Quess is later told by Hathaway that the officer was Amuro and she immediately takes an interest in him.

Senpai noticed me!
Senpai noticed me!
By the way folks, this conversation all took place within a span of a few seconds.
By the way folks, this conversation all took place within a span of a few seconds.
He's the famous hero who piloted the Gundam in the One Year War after all!
He's the famous hero who piloted the Gundam in the One Year War after all!
No interest. He's just some old guy.
No interest. He's just some old guy.

Later on, Quess visits the hanger again in the hopes of seeing Amuro. There, she sees Chan, who calls out to Amuro. Quess immediately takes exception to this and goes off on Chan, stating that Chan is “getting in the way” of her and Amuro and that she (Chan) should leave the ship.

She's Chan. She works here. Thus, more reason for her being here than you.
She's Chan. She works here. Thus, more reason for her being here than you.
You just met her!! How is that any of your business??
You just met her!! How is that any of your business??
Cool story, bro.
Cool story, bro.
A few scenes ago, you didn't even know who he was!!!!!
A few scenes ago, you didn't even know who he was!!!!!
Interfere with what? Please go away, crazy girl.
Interfere with what? Please go away, crazy girl.
Even the guy behind you thinks you're loco.
Even the guy behind you thinks you're loco.
Sure, I'll leave. I want to leave. Where's the nearest airlock?
Sure, I'll leave. I want to leave. Where's the nearest airlock?

So because the Prime Minister ends up on their ship, Londo Bell must take him to the space colony where the treaty signing will take place. Char, as the supreme leader of Neo Zeon, is of course present in order to take part in the meeting. Soon after it ends, he runs afoul of Amuro while he is out with Hathaway and Quess. They get into a fight and argue about their beliefs, when Char mentions his belief that people on Earth are weighed down by gravity.

And that makes them bad people?
And that makes them bad people?
Why yes, you've reached such a logical and well-thought out conclusion. Can I go now...?
Why yes, you've reached such a logical and well-thought out conclusion. Can I go now...?
Hmm... you bring up a valid argument.
Hmm... you bring up a valid argument.
This counter-argument is not without its merits.
This counter-argument is not without its merits.
That's true. Not everyone will think as you do, Amuro.
That's true. Not everyone will think as you do, Amuro.
No no no. I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that...
No no no. I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that...
A man of action. Nice to have a protagonist with conviction and willing to do what needs to be done from time to time. Clearly, there's no reasoning with Char.
A man of action. Nice to have a protagonist with conviction and willing to do what needs to be done from time to time. Clearly, there's no reasoning with Char.

Despite the fact that she claimed to love Amuro and that they were destined to be together, she disarms Amuro from behind when he pulls his gun out, claiming he wasn’t being fair, and ends up RUNNING AWAY WITH CHAR.

You attacked Amuro from behind, stole his gun and are now pointing it at him. And somehow HE'S the one not fighting fair? Furthermore, weren't you supposed to be on his side?!?!
You attacked Amuro from behind, stole his gun and are now pointing it at him. And somehow HE'S the one not fighting fair? Furthermore, weren't you supposed to be on his side?!?!

Skipping ahead, Char discovers that Quess is a Newtype and decides to take advantage of that. They put her in a mobile suit and discover that she’s a natural, despite her only experience with one being that in the training simulation from earlier. Amuro, being familiar with Char, knows that he is exploiting Quess and wants to save her. Hathaway, despite only knowing Quess for such a short time, also somehow falls madly in love with her and states his intention to save her, even claiming that he’s learned how to pilot a mobile suit.

Sneaking aboard a ship headed into battle to save a girl who doesn't even like you. That's not romantic, it's idiotic.
Sneaking aboard a ship headed into battle to save a girl who doesn't even like you. That's not romantic, it's idiotic.
She doesn't like you, kid. You were friend zoned ages ago!
She doesn't like you, kid. You were friend zoned ages ago!
She's involved herself in a war. She's likely going to die.
She's involved herself in a war. She's likely going to die.
Charlie Brown, you blockhead!
Charlie Brown, you blockhead!
Please give him one so he can go out and get shot down so we don't have to listen to his whining anymore.
Please give him one so he can go out and get shot down so we don't have to listen to his whining anymore.

//deep breath in, deep breath out//

During the climatic battle, Chan decides to take a damaged mobile suit out into the fray in order to provide Amuro with assistance. During this time, Hathaway manages to board a mobile suit and upon take off, manages to take out a Zaku with complete ease! Man, these Zeon guys are pushovers!

Can't you take one that isn't, for all intents and purposes, totally demolished?
Can't you take one that isn't, for all intents and purposes, totally demolished?
Is this turning into Street Fighter? Is Amuro secretly M. Bison?
Is this turning into Street Fighter? Is Amuro secretly M. Bison?

Aw, sweet! New car smell!
Aw, sweet! New car smell!
You're SURPRISED?! Didn't you get on this thing because it WOULD move?
You're SURPRISED?! Didn't you get on this thing because it WOULD move?
Oh, an actual trained soldier. He's in for it now!
Oh, an actual trained soldier. He's in for it now!
Oh. He shot down the Zeon soldier with ease. Why did the war drag on for so long if the soldiers are so shit that a kid, who never received any training, gets a kill that easily???
Oh. He shot down the Zeon soldier with ease. Why did the war drag on for so long if the soldiers are so shit that a kid, who never received any training, gets a kill that easily???

Eventually, he locates Quess and begs her to come back, completely confident that she will forget about Char and Amuro if she just comes back to him. Chan arrives in her damaged suit and tells Hathaway to get away from Quess as she is dangerous. Quess open fires on Chan. Chan tries to defend herself and ends up killing Quess. Hathaway then becomes enraged and opens fire on Chan, who is defenseless, and kills Chan. Ugh…

Yes. BTW, she's aiming her guns at you.
Yes. BTW, she's aiming her guns at you.
You mean like you were with Amuro, and then with Char?
You mean like you were with Amuro, and then with Char?
How did you block that, Chan? None of this makes sense anymore!!!
How did you block that, Chan? None of this makes sense anymore!!!
That's the smart thing to do. Shoot first, ask him to move later... ARGH
That's the smart thing to do. Shoot first, ask him to move later... ARGH
Pot calling the kettle black here, don't ya think?
Pot calling the kettle black here, don't ya think?
Sure, that's how you save things. By destroying them. Wait, WWHHHHAAAAAAAA?!
Sure, that's how you save things. By destroying them. Wait, WWHHHHAAAAAAAA?!
No! NO NO NO! I'm exasperated. Char, I'm on your side now buddy. Drop that rock like it's hot.
No! NO NO NO! I'm exasperated. Char, I'm on your side now buddy. Drop that rock like it's hot.
I agree. Might I add, YOU'RE ALSO ONE OF THOSE ANNOYING CHILDREN YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!
I agree. Might I add, YOU'RE ALSO ONE OF THOSE ANNOYING CHILDREN YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!
YOU'RE DELUSIONAL! I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS ANYMORE... *cries*
YOU'RE DELUSIONAL! I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS ANYMORE... *cries*
You were ready to shoot him about a minute ago!!!
You were ready to shoot him about a minute ago!!!
FINALLY WE'RE RID OF THE CRAZY! PRAISE THE SUN!
FINALLY WE'RE RID OF THE CRAZY! PRAISE THE SUN!
You're just going to start shooting at her? That crazy bitch would've killed you if not for Chan!
You're just going to start shooting at her? That crazy bitch would've killed you if not for Chan!
If you haven't noticed, many of them are trying to SAVE the Earth. If these kids are our future, I fear what's to come...
If you haven't noticed, many of them are trying to SAVE the Earth. If these kids are our future, I fear what's to come...
Our future, ladies and gentlemen. Is that asteroid here yet? I can't wait any longer. You know what Hathaway, I was wrong. You and Quess totally deserve one another.
Our future, ladies and gentlemen. Is that asteroid here yet? I can't wait any longer. You know what Hathaway, I was wrong. You and Quess totally deserve one another.

Anyways, back to the main plot. So the asteroid base was heading towards Earth and they were unable to destroy it with nuclear missiles. Bright Noa and his team manage to sneak aboard and strategically plant explosives, which splits the asteroid base in half. In an unfortunate twist, half of the asteroid would clear Earth, but the other half has enough momentum that it would still crash into Earth.

Amuro defeats Char, captures his escape pod, and decides to make a last ditch effort to stop the asteroid’s descent with his Gundam. Additional Earth Federation troops then arrive and try to assist Amuro in pushing back the asteroid. That makes sense; they’re all on the same side and don’t want Earth to be destroyed. Eventually, some Neo Zeon mobile suits join in the attempt to stop the asteroid. Wait, what? WHAT?! Wasn’t your leader’s plan all along to drop the asteroid and kill all life on Earth? WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO STOP IT NOW?????

Oh... so that's your plan? I thought there would've been a more substantial plan...
Oh... so that's your plan? I thought there would've been a more substantial plan...
Don't be stupid! You'll never win that posing contest against the Statue of Liberty!
Don't be stupid! You'll never win that posing contest against the Statue of Liberty!
Here comes the cavalry. Where were you guys this whole time? Never mind, you guys are gonna blow that asteroid up, right?
Here comes the cavalry. Where were you guys this whole time? Never mind, you guys are gonna blow that asteroid up, right?
I already asked th... you know what? You go ahead, Bright. You're one of the few characters who actually make some sense in this movie. Extra points for slapping Hathaway in an earlier scene.
I already asked th... you know what? You go ahead, Bright. You're one of the few characters who actually make some sense in this movie. Extra points for slapping Hathaway in an earlier scene.
Oh... So, you guys didn't have a plan, huh?
Oh... So, you guys didn't have a plan, huh?
You guys are the luckiest sons of beaches ever. They're all too busy bashing their heads against a literal rock. They're all gonna be easy pickings for you now.
You guys are the luckiest sons of beaches ever. They're all too busy bashing their heads against a literal rock. They're all gonna be easy pickings for you now.
WHY ARE YOU HELPING THE FEDDIES?! YOU GUYS WANTED THIS, REMEMBER?? DESTROY ALL HUMANS?!
WHY ARE YOU HELPING THE FEDDIES?! YOU GUYS WANTED THIS, REMEMBER?? DESTROY ALL HUMANS?!
I don't even... DIDN'T YOU KNOW THIS WAS THE PLAN ALL ALONG? WHY ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT THE EARTH NOW?!?!?!
I don't even... DIDN'T YOU KNOW THIS WAS THE PLAN ALL ALONG? WHY ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT THE EARTH NOW?!?!?!

Many of the suits, from both sides, start exploding due to the heat from the asteroid entering Earth’s atmosphere. In the end, Amuro’s mind powers somehow save the day by pushing all the Earth Federation and Neo Zeon suits away to safety and somehow also altering the course of the asteroid to veer away, saving Earth. POWER. OF. THE. MIND. Oh, and both Amuro and Char are assumed dead at this point as well.

So you had to watch Char's Counterattack too?
So you had to watch Char's Counterattack too?
An inexplicable light show and magic powers save the day. Is this happening? Is this real?
An inexplicable light show and magic powers save the day. Is this happening? Is this real?

***END OF SPOILERS***

I’m exhausted. So much of the story, characters and ending are so inexplicable that it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around, even a week after watching it. Character motivations and actions are all over the place and extremely inconsistent aside from a few like Amuro and Char. It’s just a total mess and honestly the end was fairly disappointing as I did enjoy the original series and was hoping to see a strong end to the storylines of these iconic figures. Instead, what I got was Char’s Counterattack. It’s not bad, but it’s pretty middling, which may even be a bigger crime. All in all, if you want to see the conclusion to the Amuro/Char storyline because you’re deeply invested, by all means. For casual fans of Gundam, I’d give this one a pass.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Nah man, you don't get it. See, Newtypes are basically Force Users. They have tapped into an energy source that exists outside of the reality that the people who use it live in. So, by tapping into this force, these Newtypes are able to manipulate reality itself. Which is why Newtypes can operate and maintain a Mobile Suit without ever having been in one before, all while being better than anyone else.

And what happens because of this is that the plot itself can sometimes bend and falter depending on the which Newtype is Newtyping it up the most. So what may at first appear as inconsistent plot-jambalaya, is actually the power of the Newtype themselves.

Think of it like Speedforce. The multidimensional power that The Flash uses to run faster than light itself. By running super fast, he can tap into the Speedforce and run through time itself. Well, just like The Flash, Newtypes are so powerful that they can bend logic and character motivations. Also like a Jedi mind trick.

Just wait until you get to the part where Newtype ghosts appear. I hear it's a hoot.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By wchigo

@n7:I'm not sure how much of that is true... but ALL of that is bullshit whether true or not. Holy crap. I'm surprised Newtypes aren't like Anakin Skywalker-Immaculate Conception type bullshit at this point.

Also, all Newtypes seem to be unhinged, particularly the ladies (or in some cases, the possibly "imagined" ghost ladies). Coincidence? I'll let you be the judge.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I watched this movie pretty recently and yeah, I agree... it's nuts, just kinda inexplicable in terms of what people do, and why. It's actually a pretty simple plot at it's core, but they just decided to throw so much extra shit into the pot that it all ends up half-cooked. Honestly kinda disappointing.

Sorta like the worst parts of Zeta - a good show overall - and double Zeta (maybe not as good), only this features the characters you know & love from the original show. The animation's pretty nice though, at least for the fight scenes

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantstalker: I guess I went in with somewhat inflated expectations, because I had heard a lot of people say that Char's Counterattack was really good, which may have added to the disappointment I felt. Again, I enjoyed the core plot but all the surrounding threads were just completely insane!

Animation was great and while dated, I still think it held up fairly well. I don't remember much about Zeta and never watched ZZ but even so I don't remember any part of Zeta being this out there. Of course, as mentioned, I may have simply just forgotten that those parts existed...

Sailor-Sedna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Sailor-Sedna

I hate to reply late to a three year old post and beat a dead horse, but I saw this exact same movie last night and...holy cow, you literally summed up the exact same thoughts I felt watching it (except I felt the film just abruptly stopped instead of ending)! Everyone said it was great from what I read online (though I had heard of Quess being a total pain in the butt), but despite it having good scenes, it just didn't do it for me.

I totally agree about Quess and Hathaway, and it should have been done like Beltorchika's Children where in that version Hathaway was the one who accidentally killed her, as seeing what he did here afterward, all I'm going to say is if he ended up getting killed off in action later in the film, I'd give it more credit.

The best part was probably the final battle between Amuro and Char, which had high stakes and was intense, and I also really enjoyed the animation, being great for an 80's anime film/Sunrise anime film, although how did they do that rotating satellite, was it early CG or live action?

One of my favorite characters there was Nanai and I'm glad she survived, she was much more interesting than both Quess and Hathaway (though Amuro and Char were still good and the best characters in the film along with Bright), and unlike Quess who wanted to screw around with multiple people, she actually cared about Char and was concerned for his safety. In my opinion, why wasn't SHE more focused on? Why not have HER have the role Quess had, or say, have her be a new recruit to Zeon or a Zeon spy who befriends the Earth Federation before betraying them with a twist, along with her developing feelings for Char? She's an interesting character and should have been utilized more, maybe have it so she uses a one of the Zeon mecha, kills Quess out of jealousy because she realizes that girl is trying to hit on Char/has gotten on her nerves for the umpteenth time, and have Hathaway fight against her out of anger, with Nanai explaining how Quess had betrayed them for Zeon, and have their fight be interrupted as they notice the Axis II asteroid trying to be stopped whilst she mourns for Char, or heck, had it been done in a way where Amuro and Chan both fought Char and Nanai it would have been interesting, where we could see how the dynamics of both love interest groups would have worked, like while the love between Amuro and Chan would be natural, Char could have been using Nanai without her realizing that or something, imagine that. But alas, it was not to be.