My Top 10 Korean Songs of 2017

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Edited By Wemibelle

2017 marks the fifth year in a row I’ve done these lists. Boy, how the time flies. I first got into KPOP in 2013 thanks to Giant Bomb’s own KPOP thread, which exposed me to tons of exciting new artists and opened up a whole new world of music for me. Ever since then, I’ve spent a stupid amount of time each year listening to what the genre has to offer and always like to end the year with a summation of what I liked best. This was a pretty good year in Korean music, with an insanely long period early on where hit after hit came every week. It did eventually slow down but never truly stopped, as KPOP can never be stopped. Sadly, this year also marked the end of some groups, such as 2NE1 and f(x) (f(x) hasn’t officially disbanded yet but it’s probably coming soon). Despite these lost artists, 2017 had a lot to offer and I want to share my favorite 10 songs with all of you. I hope you enjoy my list and I encourage any criticisms, comments, or sharing of your own favorites!

This year, for the first time, I’ve decided to add this honorable mentions section. These are the songs that were in consideration for the list but didn’t quite make the cut. As such, I wanted to give credit to: Excuse Me by AOA, Dinosaur by AKMU, Babe by HyunA, Why Don’t You Know by Chung Ha, and Likey by Twice. Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get to the main event!

10. Kiss on the Lips - Melody Day

A constant trademark of my Top 10 lists is the inclusion of a summery song, fulfilled this year by Kiss on the Lips (despite its release in February). It’s reminiscent of last year’s Why So Lonely from Wonder Girls, which is probably why it first caught my ear. I certainly wouldn’t say it’s strong as that track, but it still manages to be a fun summery song. The verses lack energy and punch (aside from the slick rap verse), but the chorus is instantly memorable and catchy. It continues to pop into my head at times even 10 months later. Production-wise, it’s a tad simple but has some entertaining touches, such as the so-bad-it’s-good drink pouring sample complete with pantomime from the girls. The video may be where the song feels most imitative of Why So Lonely, using a similar color palette and lazy feel but lacking its style. Despite its shortcomings, it’s an entirely likeable song that I listened to quite a few times this year.

9. Fate - Jinsil (Mad Soul Child)

Somehow, these lists always end up with one “weird’ song on them, a little-known release that often feels like it only appeals to me--Fate is that song this year. Jinsil (of Mad Soul Child) gives one of the best voice performances of the year here, her uniquely throaty voice delivering an emotional experience that sends chills down my spine. There is an incredible amount of power and feeling in every last word, almost as if each line is being ripped from her throat. The production is actually decently somber during the quieter moments, but the more upbeat sections add in some hilariously “edgy” distortion guitar that feels entirely unnecessary. Thankfully, the song still sounds beautiful, despite that faux edge. The video is bizarre, as the song appears to be the theme (?) to a new Korean MMO that I’ve never heard of. The video features footage from the game intercut with shots of Jinsil singing alone, an odd amalgamation that would have been better suited going with one or the other. It’s entirely forgettable, but the song overcomes that and will live on in my head for years to come.

8. Goodbye - 2NE1

2NE1 was, at its peak, one of the biggest girl groups in Korean pop music. This made the announcement of their disbandment at the end of last year quite a disappointment. Surprisingly, we got one last song and music video from them in January of this year, Goodbye. It opens with a twangy, melancholy acoustic guitar riff that instantly establishes the sentimental tone of the track. This riff repeats constantly throughout the song, only stopping during the chorus to change to powerful chords that better suit the intensity of the vocals. This acoustic guitar is the only production for the entire song yet its simplicity remarkably suits the somber yet heartfelt vocal performances. It’s not catchy in the general sense, but I find it addictive nonetheless. The video is gorgeous, shot entirely in black and white, and showcases many video memories from 2NE1’s history. It ends on the word “Goodbye” in both Korean and English, a direct and sad end of an era.

7. Rollin’ - Brave Girls

Rollin’ was one of those mild obsessions for me this year. Ever since its release in March, I’ve found myself returning to it again and again. I wouldn’t call it a great KPOP song, yet something about it enthralled me and kept me coming back. The verses try for this sultry sound, with each of the members managing it to varying degrees of success, but it never feels fully on the level of those A-tier KPOP groups. However, the lazy flow of the verses is still quite riveting for me. The true hook for this song is the chorus, an emphatic chant that gets me every single time. There’s not a lot of substance to the production, but the smooth synth and beat under the chorus gives it extra punch. I also want to give props to the synth line that happens after the choruses, a playful little melody that provides a nice transition back into the verses. The video (rated 19+ in Korea for seemingly no reason) is pretty standard aside from some provocative yet nerve-wracking choreography where the girls dance on stools in high heels, which I’ll admit is a highlight of the video for me. I doubt anyone else will enjoy this song as much as I have, but it’s still one of my favorites for the year.

6. Drink I’m Sippin On - Yaeji

Yaeji was a new discovery of mine this year, a Korean-American New York resident who’s brought her stellar production and vocals to the genre. She put out several songs (and videos) this year, but Drink I’m Sippin On is my favorite. It’s a delightfully bassy track that takes you on a smooth ride from beginning to end. I love its lazy sound, a soporific delight that manages to be both soothing and energizing thanks to the stellar beats. Yaeji’s vocals adopt a lazy flow as well. Her voice is subdued and ethereal, taking on an almost disaffected tone. The chorus’s repetition has a hypnotic pull to it, her voice echoing in your ears. I have to mention the video’s aesthetic as well, a low-budget but beautifully shot romp through a nighttime city. It’s filled with gorgeous blends of nearly-overexposed neon and dark empty streets. Even the absurdly trying-much-too-hard-to-be-cool young adults filling the video somehow suit the song’s low-rent style and sound perfectly. I can’t wait to hear more from Yaeji, especially if she keeps blending her Korean and American roots.

I Also Recommend: Raingurl, Feel It Out

5. Colors - Stella Jang

Colors was one of the nicest surprises of the year. I was already a fan after It’s Raining a few years ago, but I wasn’t expecting a sub-two minute song filled with simple English lyrics to be my most listened-to song of the entire year. The vocals are repetitive and elementary but still manage to be remarkably catchy, likely due to Stella’s effortless flow. It’s performed with an overwhelmingly adorable enthusiasm that puts a smile on my face every time I hear this song. The production is equally plain, comprised entirely of cute sound samples like vocal “bums” and spray paint can rattles. It’s all done in a skillful a cappella style, neatly layered under the soft vocals in a way that makes it sound impressively more substantial than it actually is. In the video, Stella takes to the streets of Seoul (?) and finds scenery to match the colors she’s singing about. It’s a stunningly vibrant production that also features the singer’s adorably joyful journey in making the video. I can’t get enough of this song, no matter how saccharine it may be.

4. Adult - Choi Ye-guen Band

Choi Ye_guen Band is a new group headed by vocalist Choi Ye Guen, a talented singer who appeared on the second season of Korean reality show K-Pop Star. She placed 8th, which gave her enough cache to release a couple of singles on her own before starting this new group. Adult, their first release, is a fantastic song that makes me eager to hear more. Her impressive voice is my favorite part: fun and playful at times and powerfully soulful at others. This song in particular has an old-school sound to it, reminiscent of lounge singers of the 50s and 60s. It’s a unique style that stands out nicely in the current KPOP lineup. The band, oddly enough, doesn’t really do much. The instrumentation is exceedingly spartan, with some brief moments of flair, but it does provide the perfect backing track to the vocals. As for the video, there’s not much to say. It’s very straightforward and does nothing of note; it’s only the cute little shots of each of the members that make it remotely compelling. I don’t know what’s next for Choi Ye Guen but, I certainly want to find out.

3. ct16031 - KIRARA

KIRARA is one of the best electronic producers out there right now. It’s nice to see her popularity growing with each year, thanks to a group of dedicated fans singing her praises. I guess that’s what I’m doing now by sharing ct16031 with you. It features the same progressive build, and subsequent fall, that is used in many of my favorite songs of hers. The difference is that this is a much more “listenable” song, lacking many of the harsher effects that she typically uses in favor of more whimsical samples. While I really enjoy those weirder tracks, it makes this song much more approachable for newbies. The best part is when it builds to its peak a few minutes in, riding smoothly into an incredibly catchy beat that has me nodding my head EVERY SINGLE TIME. That’s not to say the slower parts aftewards aren’t equally fantastic, packed with lively sound effects and a delightfully thrumming synth line. The video I’ve embedded is a live performance of hers (preceded by the also excellent ct16041) complete with a neat graphical display to go along with the song. It’s superbly done and adds something extra to an already superb track. ct16031 is yet another in KIRARA’s now long line of top-tier releases, and I hope she continues to see the success she deserves.

2. Circle’s Dream - Subin

Circle’s Dream was an immediately striking song for me. From the first listen, I was captivated by its unique sound. The remarkable voice performance from Subin, an ex-Dalshabet member, has an undeniable allure. For the entire song, she has this effortless air to her vocals, evoking feelings from me at a much greater magnitude than the intensity of her words. It’s mildly infuriating but I can’t deny just how affecting her performance is. Even the somewhat repetitive and simple chorus is a marvel, managing to be my favorite part of the song despite its straightforward sound. The production matches her lack of intensity, playing light and bubbly underneath the vocals. Its only real attempts at energy come from the effect-laden voice samples from Subin that harshly punctuate the song from time to time--brief but effective. The video takes on a dreamlike quality due to its slightly fuzzy look and layered shots featuring multiple Subins. It’s the ideal video for a song as ethereal as this, complete with the piercing stares from the singer. I doubt another song just like this will ever come along, which makes Circle’s Dream something truly special.

I Also Recommend: Strawberry

1. Last Night’s Story - IU

I’ve been in love with IU’s songs for a long time now. She’s had a long-running, incredible career and keeps putting out hits. This year, she chose to focus (again) on covers of famous songs. Most notable of these is Last Night’s Story, a 1988 release from early idol group SoBangCha (which was already covered in well-known Korean show Reply 1988). While I don’t generally like covers of older songs, this is such a perfect remake that I had to include it here. IU gives the vocals a depressed sound, nailing the tone of the song’s lyrics while still managing to sound enjoyable. As the song continues, she just sounds more and more downtrodden, an impressive subtlety that speaks to her enormous talent. The production has been smartly modernized while retaining the core melody that made it popular; it skillfully evokes the 80s original while sounding comfortably in line with today’s hits. Finally, we have the video. Holy. Shit. It’s one of the best music videos I’ve ever seen and certainly takes the top slot for 2017. It’s packed to the brim with an astounding level of detail and craft. The intense devotion to the orange palette. Countless memorable little moments from IU, like her little shoulder shrugs. The subtle shifts between 4:3 and 16:9. Unforgettably adorable choreography. The way IU becomes more unraveled as her character sinks into depression. It’s a marvel of a video and one of the best covers I’ve ever seen. No other song deserves my number one spot more.