My Top Five Anticipated Releases of August 2018

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

Edited By BlackRedGaming

Welcome one and all to the one year anniversary of my top anticipated games of the month! A lot has changed over this year, including a new website. But one thing that has stayed the same for the most part is this list. So, without further ado, let's get into this list. But anyone who has seen my previous lists would know, let's get into the rules.

The game has to be released on at least one of the major systems (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch). The game has to be new, so no remasters or re-releases onto new systems. One thing I do count is a game either entering or exiting early access, but that game can only be counted once. If a game does have multiple release dates like Destiny 2 or GTA 5, then I will only count the earliest release date. Finally, it has to be a game, not a DLC. With the rules out of the way, let's look at my top picks for August.

5. Phantom Doctrine

No Caption Provided

Phantom Doctrine, by CreativeForge Games, is a turn-based strategy game that has you play as a secret group known as the Cabal going around stopping others from pitting leaders against each other in the midst of the Cold War. Long story short, it's XCOM in the Cold War. That phrase in and of itself already gets me excited for this game, but there are more things to get excited about. The developers also made Hard West, it is said to have a lot of gameplay with replayability, stealth is a viable option to the game, you can play against others in multiplayer, and last but not least, you can make an investigation board. I had a solid time with Hard West, so if this game improves upon the flaws of that game, then I am all in. Phantom Doctrine is interrogating its way to PS4, Xbox One, and PC on the 14th.

4. Overcooked! 2

No Caption Provided

The chaotic cooking cooperative by Ghost Town Games is back. The game stays mostly the same to the original, but with new levels, ingredients, and strategies. Overcooked is a game I always tell myself I'm going to play, but never actually play. It's chaotic cooperative gameplay and fun art style have always made me want to jump right in, but I still haven't. Maybe this game will finally do it for me. Overcooked! 2 is dishing up an August 7th release date for all four systems.

3. Dead Cells

No Caption Provided

Dead Cells, by Motion Twin, has you dashing, stabbing, slicing, and shooting your way across generated metroidvania-style levels in this action-platformer game. I love this game. The combat is tough-but-fun, the levels feel really good for being generated, and the game is flowing with replayability. So, why didn't I rank this game higher on the list? Despite its August 7th release date, Dead Cells has been in early access for awhile, and I have already played some of it. Still, this upcoming release date gives me another reason to hop right back in. Just like another indie above, Dead Cells has the same release date and is also releasing on all four platforms.

2. Strange Brigade

No Caption Provided

Strange Brigade by Rebellion has you playing as an adventurer in the 30s uncovering the mysteries of Egypt in this up-to four player third person cooperative adventure game. I actually got to try this at Gamestop Expo last year, and my experience with the game is positive. The thirties Indiana Jones theme is fun, the levels are fast-paced and vibrant, and the shooting feels solid. Of course, things can change over a year; but if the game is still like the one I played, then that's great. I do fear that it is now releasing in an over-saturated cooperative shooter market, but I believe this game can carve a name out for itself. Stay tuned for its August 28th release for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

1. We Happy Few

No Caption Provided

We Happy Few, by Compulsion Games, has you surviving in an alternate drugged-out version of 1964 England as you try to escape from this crazy world. The game launched awhile ago to a mixed feeling as for the product didn't fit with the advertising. But over the years, the game has been changed to fit what we all thought the game would be. I don't know what the game was like before or now, but I am excited to jump in either way. The psychedelic 60s setting, interesting story, and fun game mechanics have me excited to play this game. The game will release on the 10th for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Bonus: Some More Games

Here are some more games releasing this month that didn't make the cut because it didn't meet the rule requirements or I wasn't excited enough about. Death's Gambit, Firewall Zero Hour, Graveyard Keeper, Ground Branch, Monster Hunter World, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Post Scriptum, Puss!, Regular Human Basketball, State of Mind, This is the Police 2, Two Point Hospital, Walking Dead Final Season ep1.

That about sums up the list. This is a pretty exciting month this month, and looking at the next few months they are only going to get better. Thank you all for reading, and tune in next month for some more games.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So in Phantom Doctrine you are trying to prevent WWIII? I hope there's a mode where you are trying to cause WWIII instead, that sounds like more fun.

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo: I believe the game is about trying to stop WW3

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

You know, I'm not the most hopeful for We Happy Few, but I really wanna see what that game turns out to be. It's had such an unusual development ride and we really don't know what its story will consist of. It's certainly a unique one.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I forgot We Happy Few was coming out so soon! I'm excited to see what that is, it sounds like they went more in the direction that people had built up in their heads after the initial looks.

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamer_152: I remember seeing the game at first and hearing it wasn't good, but I also heard they are going towards the right direction

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dead cells hype!

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naoiko: Dead Cells is pretty damn good. Can't wait to get back

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By TheWildCard

Nice list. I hadn't heard of Phantom Doctrine, that sounds pretty slick. Too many games I want coming out the next couple months!

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewildcard: Phantom Doctrine really fell under the radar at E3. Also, yeah the August-November is always the most exciting from my experience of doing these lists over all twelve months.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn’t expecting much from this month and mentally prepared to just go through the backlog, but now there’s Donut County, Flipping Death and Guacamelee 2. We Happy Few has also lingered on my mind, but definitely going to wait for reviews on that.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Ooooh I haven't heard about Phantom Doctrine. That looks really cool!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully We Happy Few turns out to be good. I was watching the developers say something they were focused on most is the story because it's what people were really digging when they first saw it (or at least the potential of it). The first trailer was really cool, but I too heard that what people played of it was rough, and the whole randomly generated stuff kind of turned me off. I also checked it out myself and the frame rate was so bad that I turned it off about five minutes in. It was really offputting. Hopefully, that'll be totally fixed with the final game, and I hope the story and world are intriguing. Due to the randomly generated environments, I was worried the about where the focus lied in the game.

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: Damn, must've missed Donut County or it wasn't on any upcoming lists.

deltamind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited and have a lot of expectations for We Happy Few. I have a feeling it'll be good.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

August is LOADED!

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atastyslurpee: Wait until February. The 22nd alone is filled with all of the aaa games delayed.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Guacamelee 2 is definitely up there for me.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atastyslurpee: Actually I think they will all come out on that day. It will be tough for them to sell on day one with all of the other competition, but it will look worse for these already delayed games to be delayed even further (except for maybe Crackdown, they already lost everyone).

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Must be a slow month. I doubt I'd play in game mentioned in this thread besides Guacamelee 2. The game preview for We Happy Few wasn't good or fun to me at all. I believe they've retooled the game since then, so good luck to the devs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb014b65074f
deactivated-5bb014b65074f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda tempted to pick up Dead Cells on the switch! idk, right now I find that I'm lacking games on the console...

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayna37: If you haven't played Dead Cells before, then I would recommend picking up the game. Even though I have it on PC, I could see myself buying it for the Switch also.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb014b65074f
deactivated-5bb014b65074f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackredgaming:I think I might just do it! I'm having trouble with the card I bought for my Switch, if I can get that sorted out then I definitely will pick up Dead Cells. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hearing that the We Happy Few devs changed the game to be more like what players expected after seeing the first trailer doesn't make me more excited for it. But then again, I didn't care for the actual pitch the devs first had for the game either. Can't wait for Dead Cells. Anyone know if the game will unlock east coast time for a west coaster like me?

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: Actually, at least on pc anyway, they released 1.0 early, so it might already be unlocked for whatever system you are using.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@blackredgaming: Forgot to mention I'm on Switch, and I just checked and it's still locked.