My trip to the San Francisco

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

My girlfriend and I are leaving for San Fransisco in about a week. We'll be there June 22nd-the 28. I posted a blog a few months ago asking for advice, and I totally appreciate all the tips I got. I hate to be such a tourist, but we're getting a Fisherman's Wharf Pass and dong the obligatory tours. 

I also scored the right to visit a few videogame journalism publications. Which is the real reason for me visiting the bay area. I picked up a copy of World War Z to read on the plane, too. Any other ideas on what we should do? Keep in mind we're 19, so no wine tasting or clubbing for the most part. Or do any of you have a specific question for someone in the games press?

I'd rather not say who I'm visiting, because most of the people I spoke to made it clear they don't publicly allow visitations but some were nice enough to make an acceptation. Anybody have any last minute ideas on things we should check out? Plus, we also need to know of a good restaurant got a romantic outing as well as a movie theater to se Transformers 2. We'll be in Fisheman's Wharf, Chinatown, Union Square, and Sausalito.If someone could also give m a perspective on the distance between the districts, that would be helpful. Yes, I'm aware Sausalito is across the bridge. :) Thanks. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

My girlfriend and I are leaving for San Fransisco in about a week. We'll be there June 22nd-the 28. I posted a blog a few months ago asking for advice, and I totally appreciate all the tips I got. I hate to be such a tourist, but we're getting a Fisherman's Wharf Pass and dong the obligatory tours. 

I also scored the right to visit a few videogame journalism publications. Which is the real reason for me visiting the bay area. I picked up a copy of World War Z to read on the plane, too. Any other ideas on what we should do? Keep in mind we're 19, so no wine tasting or clubbing for the most part. Or do any of you have a specific question for someone in the games press?

I'd rather not say who I'm visiting, because most of the people I spoke to made it clear they don't publicly allow visitations but some were nice enough to make an acceptation. Anybody have any last minute ideas on things we should check out? Plus, we also need to know of a good restaurant got a romantic outing as well as a movie theater to se Transformers 2. We'll be in Fisheman's Wharf, Chinatown, Union Square, and Sausalito.If someone could also give m a perspective on the distance between the districts, that would be helpful. Yes, I'm aware Sausalito is across the bridge. :) Thanks. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Visit Giant Bomb and stuff.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RetroIce4
@KaosAngel said:
" Visit Giant Bomb and stuff. "
Schyeah. Do that!
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By the8bitNacho

Be a paparazzi.  Stand out in front of Giant Bomb HQ with a camera and take invasive photos of the entire staff as they go to and from work.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EpicSteve
@Kombat said:
" Be a paparazzi.  Stand out in front of Giant Bomb HQ with a camera and take invasive photos of the entire staff as they go to and from work. "
Only if they have an over-sized bush or a tree I can easily climb on in front. 
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahriman22

No mythbusters? Pshaw, you didn't visit anyone worthwhile then.

Unless it was an award winning prostitute.
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By AndrewGaspar

No homo.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ
@EpicSteve said:
"

"
Catch a game at the ballpark. Its a nice place, and tickets can go pretty cheap. You might get to see Tim Lincecum!
Or buy a plane ticket to Seattle for a day : )
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By VisariLoyalist

You should check out the metreon(playstation store), all the museums like the DeYoung, the Legion of honor, the modern art museum, pier 39, go to a giants game, maybe check out the USS Hornet(hometown plug) oh yeah and harass the giantbomb guys while you're there I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By asurastrike
@EpicSteve said:
"

"
Maybe it's because I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life, but San Francisco is kind of boring. : /
SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Definitely go to a Giants game if you're into baseball. Beautiful ballpark and great pitching staff.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VisariLoyalist
@Asurastrike said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
"

"
Maybe it's because I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life, but San Francisco is kind of boring. : / "
Well as far as I'm concerned alameda is where it's at, we are neighbors with oakland and still have one of the lowest crime rates in the state.
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I will pay for any intrusive pictures you obtain, good sir! :D

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Actually you should know sausilitto is across the golden gate bridge so, that's pretty far from everywhere else

KidVelasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KidVelasco

If you're going to San Francisco I recommend to every district but if you're just in for the sites there's Coit Tower, 49 mile scenic Drive, Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Park, etc. The IMAX in the Metreon would be the place to see Transformers. As far as restaurants go i enjoy El Mansour. its a nice Moroccan restaurant but that's kind of far from where you're going to be at. You could walk from Union Square to ChinaTown but for the Pier you might  want to take the Muni.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ahriman22

M5 Labs. Defenitely.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Luke

Hmmm... it could be either 1UP, GameSpot, Games Radar, or IGN? :p  Giant Bomb is in Sausalito (this place has bomb restaurants and ice cream, no pun intended).  There's also hella development studios everywhere here. 

Living here, I have both met both Brad and Vinny... and just seen Ryan and Jeff around (but never cared to say "hi" or anything).  I've also chilled with some IGN guys and am friends with one of the 1UPers. 

The PlayStation Store in the Metreon is closing in like 3 weeks, I think... you may want to check it out!  The Sony Store already closed :'(  Those have been there for like 10 years or something... It's the age of a new area. 

Events, that make San Francisco the best place in the universe = Halloween, Love Feast, Strong Beer Month, Gay Pride, Pillow Fight Night, Bay to Breakers, 4th of July @ any Beach, New Years, and Folsom Street Fair (lol, NO!!! just kidding about this one... maybe :p ) 

For an arcade, go to the Rack 'n Cue (SFSU). 

If you want to get your nature on and go on some really amazing hikes, go to Marin! (where Sausalito is located) 

1. The Mission District and SoMa is for crazy awesome hot dog stands and bars... but has a few bad neighborhoods. 
  2. Upper-Haight (Haight/Ashbury) is pretty touristy but has some upper scale College-type bars. 
  3. Lower-Haight is my favorite for bars. 
  4. Downtown has like nothing for fun... it's all just business.  Maybe just the Ferry Building. 
  5. Northbeach/Marina; I personally hate these places, because they're hella touristy and preppy douche bag hang-outs.  I guess Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf fit here though. 
  6. Sunset/Richmond Districts are ok.  Some bars.  Ocean Beach is out this way, which is pretty rad. 
  7. The Castro is the Rainbow District.  I personally love this place but if you're not into the whole homosexual thing, you may want to steer clear.  Fun as hell bars regardless (even though hella gay).  This is where I grocery shop, for the most part :p  
  8. Japantown and Chinatown = do both! 
Probably missed some things but I'm kinda tired of typing.  Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions! :)
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By mike
@EpicSteve: Do a walking tour...start this about 1am on Saturday night. Begin at Polk & Post, you'll see a little liquor store. Walk down Post to Larkin, then walk up Larkin to Sutter, then go back to Polk. Fuck Fisherman's Wharf, this is the real San Francisco.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EpicSteve
@Luke said:
" Hmmm... it could be either 1UP, GameSpot, Games Radar, or IGN? :p  Giant Bomb is in Sausalito (this place has bomb restaurants and ice cream, no pun intended).  There's also hella development studios everywhere here. 

Living here, I have both met both Brad and Vinny... and just seen Ryan and Jeff around (but never cared to say "hi" or anything).  I've also chilled with some IGN guys and am friends with one of the 1UPers. 

The PlayStation Store in the Metreon is closing in like 3 weeks, I think... you may want to check it out!  The Sony Store already closed :'(  Those have been there for like 10 years or something... It's the age of a new area. 

Events, that make San Francisco the best place in the universe = Halloween, Love Feast, Strong Beer Month, Gay Pride, Pillow Fight Night, Bay to Breakers, 4th of July @ any Beach, New Years, and Folsom Street Fair (lol, NO!!! just kidding about this one... maybe :p ) 

For an arcade, go to the Rack 'n Cue (SFSU). 

If you want to get your nature on and go on some really amazing hikes, go to Marin! (where Sausalito is located) 
  1. The Mission District and SoMa is for crazy awesome hot dog stands and bars... but has a few bad neighborhoods. 
  2. Upper-Haight (Haight/Ashbury) is pretty touristy but has some upper scale College-type bars. 
  3. Lower-Haight is my favorite for bars. 
  4. Downtown has like nothing for fun... it's all just business.  Maybe just the Ferry Building. 
  5. Northbeach/Marina; I personally hate these places, because they're hella touristy and preppy douche bag hang-outs.  I guess Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf fit here though. 
  6. Sunset/Richmond Districts are ok.  Some bars.  Ocean Beach is out this way, which is pretty rad. 
  7. The Castro is the Rainbow District.  I personally love this place but if you're not into the whole homosexual thing, you may want to steer clear.  Fun as hell bars regardless (even though hella gay).  This is where I grocery shop, for the most part :p  
  8. Japantown and Chinatown = do both! 
Probably missed some things but I'm kinda tired of typing.  Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions! :) "
Thanks a bunch :)
Is the Playstation store having any specific sales you know about? 
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I wish you and your girlfriend a pleasant trip . Do not forget to visit Giant Bomb HQ , you 'll remember it forever ! .

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Luke
@EpicSteve: I'm not sure about a sale or not.  I'm gunna head over there myself and see here pretty soon.  I did asked 2 of the Employees a month ago, but they kinda just looked at each other, smiled, and said, "We haven't been told about anything official yet, but we probably will." 

EDIT:  Holy shit!  I just called... they closed LAST WEEK!!! :'(  I was out of town all last week in Hawaii.  Awww, the place where I bought my PS3, gone.  Sorry man, guess you won't be visiting the PlayStation Store on your trip. 

Here's an article about it:  http://venturebeat.com/2009/02/13/sony-closing-its-metreon-playstation-store 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EpicSteve
@Luke said:
" @EpicSteve: I'm not sure about a sale or not.  I'm gunna head over there myself and see here pretty soon.  I did asked 2 of the Employees a month ago, but they kinda just looked at each other, smiled, and said, "We haven't been told about anything official yet, but we probably will." 

EDIT:  Holy shit!  I just called... they closed LAST WEEK!!! :'(  I was out of town all last week in Hawaii.  Awww, the place where I bought my PS3, gone.  Sorry man, guess you won't be visiting the PlayStation Store on your trip. 

Here's an article about it:  http://venturebeat.com/2009/02/13/sony-closing-its-metreon-playstation-store 

"
Shit, that sucks. Bt thanks for the update :)
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By Aaron_G

Have fun is all I can say! 

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By giyanks22

Take a tour on down Lombard street those thingys with two wheels (WTF ARE THEY CALLED)...my parents did it, and had a blast.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mike
@giyanks22: Segways. You can definitely rent a Segway if you don't mind standing out as a tourist.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Endogene
@MB: Wait a sec, are segways not those weird two weeled driving planks?

edit: Oh my... only in the US, only in the US....

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EpicSteve
@MB said:
" @giyanks22: Segways. You can definitely rent a Segway if you don't mind standing out as a tourist. "
Her and I are doing a bike rental already. :)
BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BODDAH

You can go clubbing at 19. Get a fake ID. How else are you going to spend your nights? Dinner and a movie's nice if you need a break, but not every night.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#29  Edited By ImperiousRix

Love San Fran.
You should visit Alcatraz.  That place has an amazing history and is a total worthwhile visit.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By giyanks22
@EpicSteve said:
"
@MB said:
" @giyanks22: Segways. You can definitely rent a Segway if you don't mind standing out as a tourist. "
Her and I are doing a bike rental already. :)
"
I did that a while back when I went with my uncle... it was a blast. The windy streets where making me shit in my pants.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mike
@giyanks22 said:
"I did that a while back when I went with my uncle... it was a blast. The windy streets where making me shit in my pants. "
What area were you riding in? The streets here are all more or less straight unless you get up into one of the peripheral residential areas which isn't exactly somewhere tourists would ride bikes to.
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

There is an awesome Vietnamese Restaurant called The Slanted Door in San Francisco. Its super expensive, but worth it. I was waiting in line to eat there and saw Scarlet Johansson waiting with some dude.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#33  Edited By RelentlessKnight

There's some neat stuff at Union Square and Japantown(if you are otaku)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mike
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" There is an awesome Vietnamese Restaurant called The Slanted Door in San Francisco. Its super expensive, but worth it. I was waiting in line to eat there and saw Scarlet Johansson waiting with some dude. "
I've eaten there a couple of times...it's good but I think it's overrated and way past the line of diminishing returns as far as cost vs benefit goes. It's in the Ferry Building which has been recently remodeled and is cool to visit and walk around in, but I wouldn't eat there again. With all of the restaurants in this city, I can think of 10 I'd rather spend that kind of money on...and if I wanted Vietnamese, I'd go to Hai Ky Mi Gia in the TL or any number of other places.

Speaking of restaurants, it would be nice if EpicSteve could give me some direction on what kind of budget he has for the one special meal. There are just too many restaurants to make a blind recommendation without more information to go on.

@EpicSteve said:

We'll be in Fisheman's Wharf, Chinatown, Union Square, and Sausalito.If someone could also give m a perspective on the distance between the districts, that would be helpful.

You can and should just walk between all of those districts, it will give you a better feel of the city than taking a cab or muni. Just allow yourself some extra time if you're on a schedule, they're not exactly close and there are hills to contend with.

I have to say, a full week is a long, long time to be in San Francisco if you're not 21. I hope you have plenty of things planned.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EpicSteve
@MB said:
"
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" There is an awesome Vietnamese Restaurant called The Slanted Door in San Francisco. Its super expensive, but worth it. I was waiting in line to eat there and saw Scarlet Johansson waiting with some dude. "
I've eaten there a couple of times...it's good but I think it's overrated and way past the line of diminishing returns as far as cost vs benefit goes. It's in the Ferry Building which has been recently remodeled and is cool to visit and walk around in, but I wouldn't eat there again. With all of the restaurants in this city, I can think of 10 I'd rather spend that kind of money on...and if I wanted Vietnamese, I'd go to Hai Ky Mi Gia in the TL or any number of other places.

Speaking of restaurants, it would be nice if EpicSteve could give me some direction on what kind of budget he has for the one special meal. There are just too many restaurants to make a blind recommendation without more information to go on.

@EpicSteve said:

We'll be in Fisheman's Wharf, Chinatown, Union Square, and Sausalito.If someone could also give m a perspective on the distance between the districts, that would be helpful.

You can and should just walk between all of those districts, it will give you a better feel of the city than taking a cab or muni. Just allow yourself some extra time if you're on a schedule, they're not exactly close and there are hills to contend with.I have to say, a full week is a long, long time to be in San Francisco if you're not 21. I hope you have plenty of things planned. "
We've got plenty to do. But with the dinner budget, I'm trying to feed the two of us for less than $40. 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mike
@EpicSteve said:
We've got plenty to do. But with the dinner budget, I'm trying to feed the two of us for less than $40.  "
Yikes...what kind of food?
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EpicSteve
@MB said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
We've got plenty to do. But with the dinner budget, I'm trying to feed the two of us for less than $40.  "
Yikes...what kind of food? "
Nothing in particular. She just wants to go to a decent restaurant. Nothing high-class or anything.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mike
@EpicSteve said:
Nothing in particular. She just wants to go to a decent restaurant. Nothing high-class or anything. "
The first place that comes to mind is Fog City Diner on the Embarcadero...I'll have to give this some thought, $40 isn't much to work with here if you want to go someplace decent. Things are very expensive in San Francisco compared to what you're used to.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EpicSteve
@MB said:
"
@EpicSteve said:
Nothing in particular. She just wants to go to a decent restaurant. Nothing high-class or anything. "
The first place that comes to mind is Fog City Diner on the Embarcadero...I'll have to give this some thought, $40 isn't much to work with here if you want to go someplace decent. Things are very expensive in San Francisco compared to what you're used to. "
What does Fog City Diner serve?
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mike
@EpicSteve: I was thinking some more about places for you guys to eat at while you're here. In general...try not to eat anything at Fisherman's Wharf. It is all overpriced tourist feed. Same goes for Union Square, more or less.

There are some fantastic eats to be had in Little Saigon, and most of the places are affordable. I have to caution you though, be careful walking around this neighborhood at night. Try not to look like tourists, look like you have somewhere to go, and don't dilly dally. You'll see what I mean.

-For Pho: Turtle Tower restaurant in the Tenderloin. I recommend the rare beef soup, the #2. A large is enough to feed both of you and it's like $7...best homemade noodles in the city. It's northern style Pho so there aren't as many condiments and accompanyments as with the southern vietnam style, but everything on the menu is freakin fantastic...and did I mention cheap?

-Soul Food/Crawfish/Vietnamese: Red Crawfish, also in the Tenderloin. I know the owners personally. Fresh crawfish (delta crawfish this time of year) and stuff like sweet potato fries, garlic bread, and fried rice. $40 feeds 3-4 people here (or 2 when it's me and my buddy, we will destroy some crawfish)

-On the same block as both of these places is a Lee's Sandwiches. You can get a huge sandwich there for like $2.50. Nuff said.

Hm where else...you should spend an afternoon hanging out at Dolores Park. While you're there go to to the Bi-Rite Creamery at 18th & Dolores for some of the best ice cream you'll ever eat in your life.

Another good & cheap place to eat is Burgermeister. They have three ocations in the city that I know of, any is fine, and they have the best burgers you'll find here. The two of you can get out of there for $20 or so, less if you split a burger. Get the Niman Ranch beef.

Other things to do...check out Fields Bookstore on Polk Street. It's a famous indie book store, tiny but packed full of stuff. You can spend hours in there just browsing, but I went in there today and dropped $100.

I could go on forever, but that should get you started. If you have any specific questions, just ask.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EpicSteve
@MB said:
" @EpicSteve: I was thinking some more about places for you guys to eat at while you're here. In general...try not to eat anything at Fisherman's Wharf. It is all overpriced tourist feed. Same goes for Union Square, more or less.

There are some fantastic eats to be had in Little Saigon, and most of the places are affordable. I have to caution you though, be careful walking around this neighborhood at night. Try not to look like tourists, look like you have somewhere to go, and don't dilly dally. You'll see what I mean.

-For Pho: Turtle Tower restaurant in the Tenderloin. I recommend the rare beef soup, the #2. A large is enough to feed both of you and it's like $7...best homemade noodles in the city. It's northern style Pho so there aren't as many condiments and accompanyments as with the southern vietnam style, but everything on the menu is freakin fantastic...and did I mention cheap?

-Soul Food/Crawfish/Vietnamese: Red Crawfish, also in the Tenderloin. I know the owners personally. Fresh crawfish (delta crawfish this time of year) and stuff like sweet potato fries, garlic bread, and fried rice. $40 feeds 3-4 people here (or 2 when it's me and my buddy, we will destroy some crawfish)

-On the same block as both of these places is a Lee's Sandwiches. You can get a huge sandwich there for like $2.50. Nuff said.

Hm where else...you should spend an afternoon hanging out at Dolores Park. While you're there go to to the Bi-Rite Creamery at 18th & Dolores for some of the best ice cream you'll ever eat in your life.

Another good & cheap place to eat is Burgermeister. They have three ocations in the city that I know of, any is fine, and they have the best burgers you'll find here. The two of you can get out of there for $20 or so, less if you split a burger. Get the Niman Ranch beef.

Other things to do...check out Fields Bookstore on Polk Street. It's a famous indie book store, tiny but packed full of stuff. You can spend hours in there just browsing, but I went in there today and dropped $100.
I could go on forever, but that should get you started. If you have any specific questions, just ask. "
Thanks for all the suggestions, totally appreciate it! Here in Ohio, all we have are franchise restaurants. This'll be a nice change of pace.