• 113 results
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Hunter5024

So NaNoWriMo started yesterday, this is my second year participating, and I intend to finish this time after my shameful performance last year. I'm at 3559 words out of 50,000. As everyone who takes part knows a big part of Nanowrimo is telling everybody you know that you're taking part in it so that you'll feel too embarrassed or ashamed to quit, so here's me telling the infinite masses of the internet. Are any of you duders taking the challenge as well, and if so what are your stories? Give us your username so we can add you as a writing buddy, and feel free to update us on your progress throughout the month.

GB UsernameNaNoWriMo UsernameWord Count
Hunter5024DRHunter40190
Tim_the_CorsairTim the Corsair47268
JJWeathermanJJWeatherman45357
AnimastaAnimasta1100
StarklightStarklight50231!
RamoneRamone31144
BwastBwast9789
GearsolGear Sol5082
BrodehouseBrodehouse3764
BillyTheKidxbillythekidx3012
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

I'm tempted but I dunno.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

More important than embarassement you should work on your novel to perfect your will. Know the ins and outs of your own desires and will to accomplish them, and work with it. That in itself is a much greater victory than avoiding embarassment. 

Also good luck with your endevour!

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ztiworoh

Not sure if I'm doing NaNoWriMo proper, but I'm using it as a reason to continue working on my novel that I've been working on for the past 6 months or so. If anyone is curious, I post my progress here: https://theshard.squarespace.com/

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

50,000 words in a month? But don't I already achieve that in a single blog?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

@Animasta: Dooo it. It's way easier than it sounds. Like 30-60 minutes a day maybe.

@Jeust said:

More important than embarassement you should work on your novel to perfect your will. Know the ins and outs of your own desires and will to accomplish them, and work with it. That in itself is a much greater victory than avoiding embarassment. Also good luck with your endevour!

That would be better, but really it's just easier to manipulate myself into being motivated, through the use of things like chocolate, or fear of looking stupid.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By matthias2437

You expect me to grow a manly man beard AND write a book in the same month? Asking too much.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By imhungry

Wow, never heard of this before. Sounds really cool actually. Shame I won't get around to it since I have exams all through the month. Always next year I guess. Good luck on finishing your novel! Will it be available for public consumption so that we can see the product of your embarrassment and shame?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hunter5024

@ImHungry said:

Wow, never heard of this before. Sounds really cool actually. Shame I won't get around to it since I have exams all through the month. Always next year I guess. Good luck on finishing your novel! Will it be available for public consumption so that we can see the product of your embarrassment and shame?

Yeah I was thinking about throwing up a google doc or something, the only problem is I feel like then I'd be more inclined to edit it which is against the rules. Maybe in a week or two when I have more to post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm doing it, but I'm so "behind." 50,000 words is daunting. So I'm basically going to let my imagination take a dump, and then write that.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Yup I'm doing it. I'm at around 1300 so far. With Halo 4 out soon actually completing this is gonna be rough.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PeasantAbuse

The Cudgel of Xanthor

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

Only 50,000 words?

facepoppies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By facepoppies

It's a great way to discover that you aren't nearly as good of a writer as you think you are.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AngriGhandi

November is literally the worst month for anybody on this site to try doing this! Clearly Chris Baty is not a big gamer.

As for me, I got to about 20,000 words one year, before I started trying to plan ahead too much and lost all forward momentum and crashed and burned horribly.

So don't do that.

gumdealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gumdealer

As someone who has a deadline for professionally writing a book, I can safely say November is the worst month for this. There are so many games I need to get.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sploder

I stopped writing books and started with poems recently as I have no free time with college, work and social life. Maybe I can write 50,000 words worth of poems? That's a lot of motherfucking poems.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By vasta_narada

I accomplished the 50,000 last year (my first year), and November is exam month. I almost exclusively write at night. By the end of the month, I was falling asleep at my desk and waking up moments later with random sentences about Halo or Uncharted that weren't there before.

I will only ever do NaNo again during my university years if I have a really easy semester. Like really easy. I might use this year as an excuse to go finish some of my other work/edit last year's NaNo in hopes of finishing it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Skald

Well, this might not be the best month for me, but what else is going to get me to write this cowboy/zombie mashup that's been brewing in my brain?

Also, I've really surprised myself with the characters I've created. Every single one is holistic and mature.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chop

I'm such an incredibly slow writer that attempting this would just stress me out and in turn, lower the quality of the stuff I actually manage to peck out. It would be great to have some accountability but yeah...not for me.

facepoppies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By facepoppies

From what I gather, this isn't about writing a good book. If you manage to cram out something great, then hooray for you. But it's much, much more likely that what you write in those 50,000 words will be borderline shit. The good news is that you will absolutely be a better writer because of it no matter what, and it's a FIRST DRAFT, so of course it's terrible. In the following months, if you really like the story, you take that first draft and you chop it and maul it and completely rewire huge chunks of it and voila, you have a book.

My boss used to tell me "There is no right or wrong. Only write and rewrite."

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@facepoppies said:

From what I gather, this isn't about writing a good book. If you manage to cram out something great, then hooray for you. But it's much, much more likely that what you write in those 50,000 words will be borderline shit. The good news is that you will absolutely be a better writer because of it no matter what, and it's a FIRST DRAFT, so of course it's terrible. In the following months, if you really like the story, you take that first draft and you chop it and maul it and completely rewire huge chunks of it and voila, you have a book.

My boss used to tell me "There is no right or wrong. Only write and rewrite."

Yup. It's not about quality it's about banging out the word count by the months end. Which is good cause that's what mine is gonna be if I finish. 50,000 words adding up to nonsense.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Wemibelle

@Hunter5024 said:

@Animasta: Dooo it. It's way easier than it sounds. Like 30-60 minutes a day maybe.

Maybe for some people. Some can't write the roughly 1700 words a day needed to finish in 30 days in that short a period. It can be a bit tough, especially on those days you can't seem to get it to click.

@believer258 said:

Only 50,000 words?

50,000 words is a lot more than it sounds.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By beforet

Would, maybe could, probably should at least try, but not motivated to. I'll do it tomorrah!

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ssj4raditz

I'm trying it. I was going to do it last year, but broken bones prevented my forward progress. This year is the year, though!! Tally ho!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hunter5024

@believer258 said:

Only 50,000 words?

That's a lot of words dawg. Sure most published novels are double that, but authors usually spend a year or two writing and editing.

@Chop said:

I'm such an incredibly slow writer that attempting this would just stress me out and in turn, lower the quality of the stuff I actually manage to peck out. It would be great to have some accountability but yeah...not for me.

The quality in Nano isn't really supposed to matter so much, it's about ignoring your inner editor and just forcing yourself to create, then maybe what you came up with isn't so great, but at least you learn something from the experience. And you could learn to write faster.

@TheSouthernDandy: What's your novel about so far?

And yeah as all of you said November is a really shitty month to do it. Assassins Creed keeps staring at me as I write, and I know it's gonna conflict with homework at some point. Plus choosing a month that doesn't have 31 days is just cruel. I'm trying to do it properly this time so that I'll feel right about crossing it off my bucket list, but I think every year after this I'll be doing it in July.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@Hunter5024 it's a science fiction book. In a nutshell a doctor who worked in military r&d; gets blamed for the death of a planet due to an alien race he was experimenting on. He gets found later by two agents who recruit him to help deal with the same race in return for clearing his name. Kinda silly but we'll see how it goes. How bout yours?
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hunter5024

@TheSouthernDandy: I'm doing a fantasy novel. The premise is basically that it starts off pretty standard it seems, a princess gets saved by a knight in shining armor, only as it goes on it turns out that she's not a princess, he's not a knight, and she's been more kidnapped then rescued. I didn't want to plan it out too much because I think that sort of goes against the spirit of the event, so I just made a beginning and decided to see where it goes from there.

@ssj4raditz: And yours?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I'm participating this year. I'm at the stage now where getting shorts published has gotten me a bit of interest from people saying "give me a manuscript" and my truthful reply of "I've been a lazy bastard and never written more than 10 chapters of an ACTUAL novel" hasn't really gone over all that well.

I'm using NaNoWriMo to hopefully change that by putting an idea down I've had for ages and really like, but one that I'm not so invested in that ill be heartbroken if it turns out to be hot garbage.

I'm Tim the Corsair on there as well if anyone wants to add me.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fallen189
@Video_Game_King said:

50,000 words in a month? But don't I already achieve that in a single blog?

Writing a blog about 20 year old awful games and a piece of prose is not the same thing
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scrawnto

Ugh. NaNoWriMo sounds like a living hell to me. I have never liked writing, and I don't think I'm any good at it either. I cannot imagine what it's like to be a person who can write. I totally respect those who can and do though. I actually read quite a lot. Good luck, everyone.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Hizang

I was going to do this last year, but I realised I never have enough time to do the things I actually enjoy doing.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, writing this year again. Going steady so far.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hunter5024

@Tim_the_Corsair: @TaliciaDragonsong: What are you guys writing about?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Fallen189 said:

Writing a blog about 20 year old awful games and a piece of prose is not the same thing

They are when I'm writing it.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FateOfNever

I'm taking part in it. I haven't gotten the chance to start yet, which is really just hurting myself, but, I've been a bit swamped by random odds and ends things around the house that have kept me from just sitting down and starting. This will be my first year doing it, but, it's just something I really feel like I'd be proud of myself for being able to say that I did it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By JJWeatherman

It's my second year as well. Looking for another "victory."

Nice to see some other Duders are participating. If any of you want to add me as a writing buddy on the site, my username there is the same as it is here. :)

And, what the heck. Here's a continuously updating word count widget to follow my progress:

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I'm working on a post-apocalyptic spy thriller set in a nuclear and biological weapon-ravaged Australia

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By izzygraze

@Hunter5024 said:

@ImHungry said:

Yeah I was thinking about throwing up a google doc or something, the only problem is I feel like then I'd be more inclined to edit it which is against the rules. Maybe in a week or two when I have more to post.

Where does it say you can't edit it? I'm reading the rules right now and don't see that mentioned anywhere.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hunter5024

@IzzyGraze said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@ImHungry said:

Where does it say you can't edit it? I'm reading the rules right now and don't see that mentioned anywhere.

Well I haven't read the rules for a year, and I'm sure its not explicitly breaking them but it does kind of go against the point. Worrying about how good the actual prose is could discourage the flow of creativity when it's better just to press onward, which is why most first novels never get finished in the first place. Though still, I may put up something everyone can read once we're far enough into the month that critical comments won't make me want to give up.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hunter5024: The troubles of growing up and going against your parents wishes in a quest of self discovery. Or something.
izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By izzygraze

@Hunter5024 said:

@IzzyGraze said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@ImHungry said:

Well I haven't read the rules for a year, and I'm sure its not explicitly breaking them but it does kind of go against the point. Worrying about how good the actual prose is could discourage the flow of creativity when it's better just to press onward, which is why most first novels never get finished in the first place. Though still, I may put up something everyone can read once we're far enough into the month that critical comments won't make me want to give up.

True. And I just signed up and it does mention in the welcome page that it's good not to edit but it's not against the rules. Hopefully it helps. I don't intend to reach the 50 000 but hopefully I'll write something.

Not sure on the story yet. Had an idea for a short story but I don't think I can stretch it into a novel. Well good luck and happy writing.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By notdavid

This is either my fourth or fifth year of NaNo, and I'm going to keep half-assing it like I did every other year. I write primarily for myself, so I can't really keep doing a story if I lose interest. I always lose interest. I like the community, though, so I keep coming back. It's like a support group for shitty writers.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I'm doing a horror story about a group of kids that try to burn down an abandoned house, and weird shit starts happening. Kind of your standard haunted house plot, but I'm taking inspiration from a time that me and some friends broke into an abandoned house. Trying to make a horror story that keeps it grounded and legit.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

As someone who does not read books i'd probably be a terrible writer.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Totally forgot this was happening. Really wanted to take part this year. I have a couple of cool idea's for stories that would be great to get written down, even if it is of terrible quality. But I'm really busy at work this month. Man.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Animasta

I'm gonna do it because fuck it why not

should update the first post with writing buddies (Mine is the same)

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By labman

I participated last year, but only got a few thousand words before getting lazy and quitting. I was thinking about trying again this year but I'm a lazy, lazy man!

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FoolishChaos

I wish I had time. But the more I think about it, part of the reason I don't have time is that I've already got other creative projects going on.

But still, its kinda cool to participate in something like that. Maybe I'll try to work in some time

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GJSmitty

Nice, this is my first year participating, and I'm excited/nervous :D

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By zoozilla

Just signed up, and as soon as I started typing fatigue set in.

Still, this will be a really good way for me actually get off my ass (or get my ass in a chair, at least) and write - I like writing, but I always leave bits and pieces unfinished. This time, hopefully I'll be able to get something cool done.

Good luck, all.