NBA Finals discussion

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By csl316

Well, today was game 1 of the Finals and I want to talk about it. Spurs vs. Heat II seems like a hell of a matchup. I hope this series goes back and forth, and I want the Spurs to find redemption after Ray Allen pulled off his miracle shot, Tim Duncan to win the MVP, and have Duncan retire after a championship like David Robinson did.

Game 1 was a lot of fun to watch. Some sloppy play by the Spurs with all those turnovers,

And then that 4th quarter... wow. The Spurs exploded, 14-16 on field goals. Relentless will. Excellent stuff.

Anyway, here's a thread to talk about basketball. It's my favorite sport, as I grew up by Chicago in the 90's. Sure, it's not as hard-nosed as it once was but it's still fun to see the ball go in the hoop.

Edit: I originally picked on Lebron James in my original post for not dealing with the busted AC, because picking on Lebron is an accepted part of Chicago culture. It came off as dickish and obviously detracted from a discussion about the game itself. The cramp was unfortunate, and I hope the dude's ok.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

MJ never had the flu, it was just food poisoning and he was throwing up throughout the day. And a cramp is a cramp, your body physically and literally will not allow your muscle to work. Nowhere near comparable. Is there something people don't understand about this? Furthermore, if any player would have gotten a cramp it would be "just unfortunate" but when it's a big name player it's because "he's weak."

C'mon man.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By csl316

That was the last minute of the game.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, as usual sports fans with the shallowest knowledge of an athletes body are judging them against others with different physical circumstances based on shared environmental circumstances. Brilliant.

Molenator85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Molenator85

I am no Heat fan but Lebron has a history of cramping problems with or without 90 degree Heat. Trying to play through a cramp is insane and is likely to lead to torn muscles. Saying that everyone else played through it is completely ignoring the fact that people's bodies react differently.

The game itself was pretty fun to watch but insanely sloppy. I don't see the Spurs having 20+ turnovers again but I also doubt they will go 14-16 from 3 pt range again either. The Heat bench have to play better and Chalmers can't get into foul trouble so quickly.

Should be a fun series to watch. I hope for the Spurs in 7.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@csl316: You really don't understand what cramps are and how they work, do you?

Molenator85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@csl316: Lebron still lead the game in points with 25 and helped contribute to Danny Green going 0-3 from 3 until the fourth quarter when he was absent. He played like the best player on the court until he physically couldn't anymore.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Lebron still lead the game in points with 25 and helped contribute to Danny Green going 0-3 from 3 until the fourth quarter when he was absent. He played like the best player on the court until he physically couldn't anymore.

Yeah, good points.

Look, around these parts, we pick on Lebron anytime he slips up. With the crowd watching here, being asked to be taken out because it's hot didn't sit well with anyone. If it comes off as irrationally hostile, it certainly is.

Again, this was an enjoyable game to watch and I hope the guy's ok.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@csl316: The link you provided showed me exactly the opposite of what you're accusing LeBron of; the wincing shows to me that he was fighting through a muscle on the verge of cramping that whole time until it was too late (because you don't wince like that at plain fatigue). That timeout he called? To me it didn't look like he needed a blow at all; If a player started walking to their bench callin a time from fatigue they'd be dying, he looked like perfectly fine, which leads me to believe that he knew what was going on in his calves and he didn't want to be ineffective for the rest of the game from an early cramp so he called the time. When you're your teams biggest weapon, this is just plain smart. Why cramp now and be far more ineffective later (possibly not at all) than taking quick break and coming back in and fighting through it. Football players (namely the key weapons on a team) are especially adept at listening to their bodies and KNOW that when it's time to come off the field, it's time to come off the field.

Cramps are an enemy all their own, man. This kind of stuff is drilled into athletes; "you're only good for us if you're healthy"

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It was an alright game. The Spurs are kind of just boring to watch in the first place; I respect their team and I have a lot of respect for how they play (not on a "hard working" level, but a general strategy level), but it's just not exciting. Danny Green decided to not suck right at the end so they won, basically; they might have won anyway with Lebron out but that's more or less how the game swung. Of course if the Heat won the series would probably have been over in 5 games; so that's good. Ray Allen is the man.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hurricaneivan29: Good points, as well. If he felt something was coming on then it was the smart move. If you think it was because he felt the muscle starting to hit, it's perfectly valid since he's experienced it before. Everyone I know that watched this game picked on him today because we're still butthurt that he didn't sign with Chicago.

I'm a Bulls fan. We continue to back Derrick Rose, and when people call him soft our response is "you don't know, leave him alone, it's best for the long term!!" I should know better.

Coming from a crew of Heat-haters, I started this post with aspirations of game talk but quickly devolved to "yo, Lebron ain't no Jordan!" Who knew that the internet could be the more rational option that talks some sense into me?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave
Loading Video...

@csl316: Lebron is Magic + a little more scoring and he would have been a rad football player.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for the game, man did the spurs play sloppy especially. At times it looked like a pickup game where the defense is a 5 man squad of TAZ and the offense doesn't know what to do so they're all running full speed in random directions passing the ball until someone chucks it at the hoop. 22 turnover! Good god batman!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By InternetDotCom

Turning off the A/C is some Red Auerbach stuff.

Loading Video...

Not but seriously cramps suck, it isn't possible to fight through them.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@gorillamopena: "Cracked Fibula" .......... medical terms... who needs them... strain? nah, suffering from "overstretched muscles" hahaha

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

The next few days are going to be the some most insufferable in recent history for sports writing and commentary.

As a Knicks fan, most would probably consider it blasphemous for me to root for the Heat but even I hope LeBron shuts these no-nothing dumbass sports writers up.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Monkeyman04

I'm not a Lebron fan, but the way that Spurs fans are making fun of him is the sign of a poor winner. You can have your win, but there's no need to kick a dude while he's down. I hope now that he comes back and dominates game 2 just to shut people up.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one bumped this thread yet? Sadness. I found the replay of Tony Parker's face being crushed by Lebron's torso/hand while the announcers talked about who the ball hit last to be mesmerizing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I was gonna bump, but I didn't exactly start it on a good note.

Regardless, that second half was a whole lot of fun to watch. This is what I expected these finals to be. Constant back and forth with some of the best players in the game today. Looking forward to Tuesday.

I'm not a Lebron fan, but the way that Spurs fans are making fun of him is the sign of a poor winner. You can have your win, but there's no need to kick a dude while he's down. I hope now that he comes back and dominates game 2 just to shut people up.

Yep, he delivered just that. Monster performance, especially his jumper run in the third.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I think you mean mostly everyone in the world except for the great state of Florida.

No Caption Provided

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Monkeyman04

@i_stay_puft: I was talking about that "meme" where people were mocking him by getting lifted off the court and most of the pictures I saw people were wearing Spurs stuff. If that means that most were/weren't really Spurs fans doesn't change what I said. It was begin a poor winner.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want the series to go 7 games and then I want Miami to win, I'm not in Florida. If the other team was like OKC or something I might root for them but the Spurs have won enough times recently.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Heat in 6. I can't see them losing at home.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That half was completely absurd.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers