Need career advice: Am I good enough? (CONCEPT ARTIST)

• 91 results
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

So now that school's over, I have to get into some college. About six months ago, I'd decided I'd mix my love for art and gaming, and pursue my dream of getting into the game industry as a concept artist. 

Im pretty good, (At least I think so) but I've hardly had any time in which to practice drawing. I have always worked with pencil paper, and am just getting started on photoshop. I plan to get a drawing tablet and test out my skills and practice, and see whether I am good enough. 

So my plan is to go for a fine arts degree, and to practice my own concept art for these 4 years and improve my skills. I'm sure 4 years of good daily practice would bring out the best in my drawing abilities. After college, I can take a PG in some advanced game art course or something, and with my practice and talent, Im sure I'll be able to cut it.

What do you think? Is 4-5 years of practice not good enough? Do I need better raw talent? Am I making a mistake? (Hope not)

Either ways, how the hell do you draw like THIS?? 

Does working on photoshop make things a little easier? Will I be able to draw like that with practice?

By the way, you can check out my gallery, but as I told you, I have hardly had ANY time at all to practice.  

By the way, the first four were drawn in flockdraw, an MSPAINT type online drawing app. So forgive the simplicity in them :D
And the eye drawing has been done with a mouse. I don't have a drawing tablet yet.

This one is probably my best one: 

I need help! I'm probably the only one in my place who's planning to do something risky like arts. Rest are going for the usual engineering etc. So I'm under a lot of pressure!

What should I do?
Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Go into engineering.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Brians

I think you should not treat college as something where your major is set in stone. I like the work you have up. But speaking as a college student who decided to switch his major during my senior year I think go for it, if you don't like it then look for something else.

Basically I had an idea about what my career should be, going to college taking classes in the subject made me realize that I wasn't good at it. Then I found something else I liked.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By lucas_kelly

The eye is quite cool, but I gotta be honest the rest look....ok. Stick to the Photoshop stuff.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Alex_Murphy

If you enjoy drawing and that's what you want to do than go for it. But be warned, in art school you'll be in class with people who can draw so good you'll wonder why they're even in school instead of living in Paris, spending equal amounts of time creating timeless masterpieces and fucking their supermodel girlfriend.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Going to artschool is a start. Concept artist usually works in grey scale, for lighting and stuff and put color as the last stage over it with photoshop. It's easier than actually painting the artwork, however I think you need practice structuring things more like all of those how to draw books.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By animateria

You better work your ass off practicing stuff. That's really the only way to improve your skills. 

Of course, if you don't know what you are doing, you're just gonna create a lot of bad habits so hit the books.

Anyways, school teaches you from the ground up on things so just be diligent and well, don't fuck around because you have free time. 

Problem with the art major is that there's a lot of opportunity to just fuck around.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By armaan8014
@lucas_kelly said:

" The eye is quite cool, but I gotta be honest the rest look....ok. Stick to the Photoshop stuff. "

I'd followed a tutorial for that one. That's my first photoshop drawing.
By the way, the first four were drawn in flockdraw, an MSPAINT type online drawing app.

@Briguile

said:

" I think you should not treat college as something where your major is set in stone. I like the work you have up. But speaking as a college student who decided to switch his major during my senior year I think go for it, if you don't like it then look for something else.  Basically I had an idea about what my career should be, going to college taking classes in the subject made me realize that I wasn't good at it. Then I found something else I liked. "

Well the thing is I need to be sure about it, cause switching around lines will get me in trouble with my parents. They want me to do something "safe", like engineering. And since they know I like art, they're pushing me towards architecture. But that's totally not what I want.

So my point is, is the risk that I am taking worth it? Will I be able to improve and get into the industry, or am I doing something stupid?
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seedofpower

I like this one the best
 I like this one the best
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By armaan8014
@Seedofpower: 
:D Thanks!
It was done with a mouse by the way. The eyelashes alone took me 5-6 hours.
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By cinemandrew

If you want to be an artist, then absolutely go for it. Based on your work posted here, I'd recommend taking some more basic classes before starting at a legit art school. Maybe something at the local community college. It's obvious that you're aware of some techniques, but really lacking in some other areas. For instance: the proportions in the David Beckham picture are all wrong. His calves and left arm are tiny. I had some issues with proportions when I was in high school myself. I was always so focused on what I was doing at any given time that I rarely took the time to look at the full picture.

Art classes can be the most fun you've ever had, or the biggest headache. If you're behind the rest of the class or you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to get frustrated and lose motivation. Good luck.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

The problem that I see in most of this is the oddness of what's drawn. I might not be clear on what I am saying but try out art classes because they can help improve your skill.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Trilogy
@armaan8014 said:
Well the thing is I need to be sure about it, cause switching around lines will get me in trouble with my parents. They want me to do something "safe", like engineering. And since they know I like art, they're pushing me towards architecture. But that's totally not what I want.  So my point is, is the risk that I am taking worth it? Will I be able to improve and get into the industry, or am I doing something stupid? "
Dude, do what YOU want to do. Don't let your parents push you into something you don't really want to do with your life.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By armaan8014
@cinemandrew: Oh yes, the Bekham one is pretty messed up. It's the oldest drawing here (made it in 2006, you can see the year in the bottom right corner) I was 14 yr old then :)

So do you think 4-5 years of dedicated practice could improve my skills to the level posted in that video?

@Trilogy said:
" @armaan8014 said:
Well the thing is I need to be sure about it, cause switching around lines will get me in trouble with my parents. They want me to do something "safe", like engineering. And since they know I like art, they're pushing me towards architecture. But that's totally not what I want.  So my point is, is the risk that I am taking worth it? Will I be able to improve and get into the industry, or am I doing something stupid? "
Dude, do what YOU want to do. Don't let your parents push you into something you don't really want to do with your life. "

I know... My parents are pretty understanding actually. But I don't wanna end up making a mistake. What if I finish my degree and end up nowhere?
I just need to be sure whether I have the ability that I need to get into the industry...
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you're fine if you feel you have the dedication and passion to get better and learn more about it.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bonbolapti

just keep doing it. That's the only way you ever become good at something.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By cinemandrew
@armaan8014: That's tough to say really. It depends on your dedication, education, and style. It doesn't really matter anyway. There's no point in trying to achieve such a specific goal. It's unrealistic. Each artist has a different style, and you could certainly become as proficient an artist as he/she, but you won't ever be them. It should always be about becoming a better artist, not becoming as good or better than "that" artist. It's hard not to compare yourself to others, but it will just cause you stress, and frustration in the end. I don't really draw so much anymore, but I am an independent film director (nothing special yet). I just finished a short film a couple weeks ago, and although it may not have been perfect in every way, it was a vast improvement over my last project. I'd call that a win. My next film, will be better than this one was. You'll get where you need to be, just focus on improving yourself. Look at what areas you're weak in, and work on those.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By animateria
@armaan8014 said:
" @cinemandrew: Oh yes, the Bekham one is pretty messed up. It's the oldest drawing here (made it in 2006, you can see the year in the bottom right corner) I was 14 yr old then :)

So do you think 4-5 years of dedicated practice could improve my skills to the level posted in that video?

@Trilogy said:
" @armaan8014 said:
Dude, do what YOU want to do. Don't let your parents push you into something you don't really want to do with your life. "
I know... My parents are pretty understanding actually. But I don't wanna end up making a mistake. What if I finish my degree and end up nowhere? I just need to be sure whether I have the ability that I need to get into the industry... "
If given the opportunity always try to go for some digital art classes. I'm not talking Photoshop stuff, I'm talking about programming.

Try some stuff out with Flash or even something like Processing. Don't confine yourself to 'concept art' because that's a very narrow field in the industry as a whole.

Who knows? You might be one of those indie developers going for an IGF award. 
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By armaan8014
@cinemandrew:  Alright thanks for the tips. Basically I just gotta keep working on my weak areas and improving myself, yeah? Cool, I'll work hard.  
And good luck with your career as a director too!

@animateria:
Well, I actually want to just get into the art field in games. I chose concept art since that attracted me the most, but I'm open to all art sections.
Programming... not too sure. For one thing, I suck at it. Also, isn't it a completely different field from art? It will obviously take a lot of effort and time. Won't I end up wasting time that I should be spending on practicing drawing?
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By torus
@armaan8014: Greetz 

I'm an architecture student, as well as a concept artist (as well as 3d modeler, art director, blah blah blah, so much for having no budget :P) for a small indie game studio. I don't work for a large company, but this is my impression of your situation: 

- As far as a career goes, being a concept artist usually isn't the greatest choice- it's often fairly bottom rung in my understanding. That said, if you really want to get into the industry (and move up, etc), and you are motivated, there are definitely worse directions to go in. You might want to try to intern at some game company (mostly if you live in CA), to see what it's like.

- As a plan of action, I think you're doing the right thing (going to a proper fine arts program, learning real technique and theory, and then moving on). Obviously you've got a ways to go, but in 4 years you can definitely learn good concepting, if you work hard at it.  

- If this is what you REALLY want to do, and you've thought about the reasons for why you want to, and you think they are good reasons, then DO IT.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By armaan8014
@torus:  Hmmm.. Thanks that helped. I can pretty much do it then.

Other than that, what career line in the game art industry do you think is better then?
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By torus
@armaan8014 said:

" @torus:  Hmmm.. Thanks that helped. I can pretty much do it then.  Other than that, what career line in the game art industry do you think is better then? "

As I mentioned, the work I do is for a small studio (7 guys, not including myself )- so I only know what I've heard. Ideally, you'd want to work your way to a position of director- actual content creation is grueling work, with a TON of competition (just check out Conceptart.org, hell, a lot of those guys aren't even employed). The same pretty much goes for any content creation position. In the video game industry, programmers are the only people in truly short supply. 

That's one of the advantages to starting your own studio. Of course, the disadvantage being that I have to be able to do everything, and can't take the time to become a master at any of them. 

This shouldn't discourage you- 4 years of honing your skill in art school and you will probably be as good as any. It will also give you time to think. Also, if you decide it's not for you (remember, try to intern), you can always switch to Industrial design or something. 
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I like you drawings and think the eye's a the war picture are great but TBH I don't think you would really get too far with what you are doing (not to crush dreams). Looking at what you did on the Sheppard drawing it's not the best and maybe not even close to your best. My brother is on his last year and is going into graphic design and media, and IDK how he is going to be. Draw something really great and post it, take a couple of days. If you really enjoy what you are doing though DO IT! and think about the possibilities especially the worst ones but don't let them turn you away.

bereft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bereft

You ever heard of Anders Ericsson? He basically explored the whole issue of expert performance and mastery - the bulk of his individual and collaborated work being presented in a 
 tome called 'The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance' - discovering that there is a correlation between time spent on working on a skill and level of proficiency at it.  
Which sounds like the most obvious thing possibly ever, however he managed to quantify and further define it -  
- Firstly, the average amount of hours spent by virtuoso pianists, violinists, programmers, graphic designers, artists, chess grandmasters etc etc appears to be around 10,000 hours. Gladwell goes into  
quite a bit of depth and has plenty of examples in the vastly more accessible (and more interesting) 'Outliers'  
- Second of all, this practice falls is very deliberate and usually guided or under an expert's supervision - which brings forth the suggestion that perhaps there's only so much you can do on your own.  

Based on all this, which I can corroborate to a degree based on my 12+ year experience as a classical guitarist, if this is something you want to do, you have to invest a lot of time and effort into it (there were times I would practise  
5-8 hours a day).  Also, don't dwell on other people's performances in the particular field, and by that I don't mean ignore all output out there, but instead give yourself the opportunity to discover your own style and voice - something which , in my  
opinion at least should be a focus regardless of current skill level.  

Also, I'm guessing you're fairly young, so I would suggest to avoid typecasting yourself in a particular career at this point - Focus instead on honing your base skills, and if you end up attaining a level of advanced proficiency, in all likelihood you'll go through  
a lot of different positions, in a lot of different fields - something which would further aid in the diversification of your skill set.  
Hope that could help, and best of luck :) 

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By torus
@bereft said:
" You ever heard of Anders Ericsson? He basically explored the whole issue of expert performance and mastery - the bulk of his individual and collaborated work being presented in a  tome called 'The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance' - discovering that there is a correlation between time spent on working on a skill and level of proficiency at it.  Which sounds like the most obvious thing possibly ever, however he managed to quantify and further define it -   - Firstly, the average amount of hours spent by virtuoso pianists, violinists, programmers, graphic designers, artists, chess grandmasters etc etc appears to be around 10,000 hours. Gladwell goes into   quite a bit of depth and has plenty of examples in the vastly more accessible (and more interesting) 'Outliers'   - Second of all, this practice falls is very deliberate and usually guided or under an expert's supervision - which brings forth the suggestion that perhaps there's only so much you can do on your own.   Based on all this, which I can corroborate to a degree based on my 12+ year experience as a classical guitarist, if this is something you want to do, you have to invest a lot of time and effort into it (there were times I would practise  5-8 hours a day).  Also, don't dwell on other people's performances in the particular field, and by that I don't mean ignore all output out there, but instead give yourself the opportunity to discover your own style and voice - something which , in my  opinion at least should be a focus regardless of current skill level.   Also, I'm guessing you're fairly young, so I would suggest to avoid typecasting yourself in a particular career at this point - Focus instead on honing your base skills, and if you end up attaining a level of advanced proficiency, in all likelihood you'll go through  a lot of different positions, in a lot of different fields - something which would further aid in the diversification of your skill set.  Hope that could help, and best of luck :)  "
Best advice I've heard all year. I'm going to save this post sir, if you don't mind.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By armaan8014
@ShaunassNZ: 
Well that isn't really a Shepard drawing, I just drew up a random guy like him in class and put the N7A logo on him for fun ;) 
Im waiting to get my drawing tablet, drawing on it for about 2-3 months that I have before I get into college will pretty much show me where I stand.

@bereft:
Thanks! That made things a lot clearer! So I pretty much should draw what I feel like, not what I need to in order to get in a certain career, and derive from my art what I'm good at and how I would like to take it forward isn't it? That sounds good...
Thanks again!
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Jadeskye
@armaan8014:
I am no artist but i am friends with a number of them and honestly i think you have a lot of potential.  

But as an adult the best advice i can give you is to follow you heart. Do whatever you want to do, you'll find your path eventually. Maybe even the first time you try if you're lucky =)
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By armaan8014
@jadeskye:  Hey thanks! I'll keep working on it then.
Crabcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Crabcraft

I was in the same position as you a few years ago, (my parents wanted me to do architecture too) and I ended up doing Fine Art. In my opinion after three years in the course it was a big waste of time. The thing about a modern fine art course is that it's all about concept (not conceptual as in  concept art for games but conceptual as in  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptual_art ) not that theres anything wrong with that I really like conceptual art but when I was painting and trying to improve my skills I had to constantly justify what I was doing with a deep concept behind it but that can be really cool if thats what you want to be doing. However in the three years I've been studying I don't feel like I've learned any useful skills. When ever I talk to my tutors it's always about my concept. If I were to do it over again and I was in your position I would probably do some kind of illustration course. But if your heart is set on fine art definitely talk to some of the students in the course you're going for first and see what kind of work they're doing.  As for me, when I finish out this year I'm going to do a course in 3D modeling.            

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By armaan8014
@Crabcraft:  Well actually, I was just going for fine arts to get into the game art area, and since I'd read in most of the job openings that BFA was a requirement, I thought that that's what I should be doing. But other than that I just wanna draw what I want to draw, or what needs to be drawn for games. Not really interested in that conceptual stuff that you talked about.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By luce

Do NOT go to an art school. Especially fine arts..it costs a ton of money and does not guarantee you a job.  

I'd recommend finding good tutorials online and just practice to the best of your ability. You'd be surprised at how much good FREE information you could find online. You seem pretty good at photoshop so thats a start.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Daryl

Nope.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By torus
@luce said:
" Do NOT go to an art school. Especially fine arts..it costs a ton of money and does not guarantee you a job.    I'd recommend finding good tutorials online and just practice to the best of your ability. You seem pretty good at photoshop so thats a start. "
Derp. Nothing guarantees you a job. And any college costs money. Unless you are prodigal, you are not going to become a professional by reading tutorials online. Quoted poster is unaware of the immense value of theory, instruction, and guided exposure in art education.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By armaan8014
@torus said:
" @luce said:
" Do NOT go to an art school. Especially fine arts..it costs a ton of money and does not guarantee you a job.    I'd recommend finding good tutorials online and just practice to the best of your ability. You seem pretty good at photoshop so thats a start. "
Derp. Nothing guarantees you a job. And any college costs money. Unless you are prodigal, you are not going to become a professional by reading tutorials online. Quoted poster is unaware of the immense value of theory, instruction, and guided exposure in art education. "
Main thing is to get into the game industry as an artist...  Whatever helps me become better and helps me to make a great portfolio is the thing I need.  
What I plan to do is, get into arts college, do all the traditional drawing and learn all the theory and whatever they want from me, and when i'm free in the day, practice my own, more game-focused drawings (maybe with the help of the online tutorials). Then after I get my degree I could go for a more specific game-art design course or PG something in it, and I'd pretty much learn all that I need to. What do you think?
mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mowgers

Some tips: 
Life drawing- learn anatomy. One stumbling block I've noticed in a lot of people is a lack of understanding of proportion. Even if you intend to pursue an overtly stylised... erm, style, learning the basics is essential. Learning how cloth works, how it falls and clings, is what separates a shirt and an amorphous white blob.
Don't aim to do complete images everytime you set out to draw something- studies, sketches and little tests are always useful. if you draw something, and it doesn't work, keep it. Of course try again, but if something is giving you trouble then work on it seperatly, experiment, then when you're confident apply it to the final piece. 
Don't use photoshop as a crutch- Photoshop is great but too often I've heard people say 'I wanted to do this but I didn't know how to in PS'. It's a tool, don't let it limit you. Again, get your basic mark making, pen-and-paper skill up to scratch first.

leecanread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By leecanread

Don't gun it straight into art school. It'll put you in an unnecessary financial hole. I took 3 semesters of art classes at a community college and it was a great experience. You can both improve your art and also make social connections, enter contests, get your work shown in galleries, etc...In the end it's all up to you to push your skills, no matter how much you paid to be in a class. So I'd recommend you check out the art programs of affordable institutions first of all.

As for drawing, the best advice I can give is that above all, making the art you want to takes time. Time time time time time. Time and the ability to dedicate yourself and not waste it. For more practical advice, you have to understand reality before you can stylize. You're at a stage where you shouldn't be thinking about style yet. A personal style comes naturally, and the ability to conjure a particular style will come to, as you get a better grasp on reality which is the root of any style. Study the form and 3-dimensionality of things and understand how to draw with light and shadow, not just lines. It's a big leap but with time and study your brain will just set itself in that mode. When I draw, a lot of what I'm doing is just blotting out shadows, this is a method used by a lot of trained artists.

Also look at art that you like. Absorb it. Broaden your tastes to all centuries. Make a folder and just save all the pictures that inspire you. It's something I started doing and I think when you admire a good painting or drawing its lessons just seep into you.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cap123

how often do you draw? The more you do the better you get, it is as simple as that. The difference between the good people at college and the rest is that the good people drew in their spare time as well. I have improved ten fold since i started taking art seriously and went and took a foundation in art and design, because i was drawing 4 times a week for 6 hours. Just looking at the stuff i did under a year a go is embarassing. 

Also the teachers may not be able to teach you how to draw better, but they can teach you how to go about doing things and try to help you unlearn all the stupid things school taught you to pass exams. 

I say go for it, if you work your arse off one day it should just click.

Crabcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Crabcraft
@armaan8014: Thats weird, I didn't realise that a BFA was a requirement. The thing about getting jobs like a concept artist is that in the end what will get you the job is how good your portfolio is. It doesn't matter what kind of college you went to if you have a bad portfolio. The advice everyone is giving is pretty good, the most important thing is to spend A LOT of time on improving your skills. Just look at your favourite game art (and just art in general) and strive for that. The concept art for Uncharted 2 for example is pretty amazing!
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By crusader8463

If you get into even a half way decent fine arts program they will teach you how to draw, so don't worry about that. When i went to college for my "3D Graphics and Game Design" course i had a few people in my class who took the fine arts course as well. They showed me some of their art before they did the class and after, and lets just say they got better.  

I'm not saying you will be as good as some of the best out there, but as long as you improve enough to be half way decent at drawing you should be able to get an entry level job some where based on your drawing talent alone. However, it's not just about being able to draw good, so don't go into this thinking that that's all you need to work on to be a good concept artist. You need to be creative and able to come up with designs on your own and not just copy what other people do. If you really want a job as a concept artist you need to spend just as much time, if not more, work on improving your imagination, and not just focus on you're drawing skills. At the end of the day there are thousands of people out there who can draw really well, but the ones who get the good jobs are the ones who can draw well and have the imagination to go with it.

There are thousands of fine art programs all over the world churning out people who can draw every day, so if you want to get picked for a job you need to be more creative then they are. When you hand over your work portfolio to someone at a job meeting you need to show them stuff that sticks out over what could possible be hundreds of other peoples work he saw that day. If you just shiow him work that consists of space marines and robots, he will probably just say that's nice we will call you back, and you will never hear about the job again. They were probably the hundredth ones he saw that day so why should he pick you're robots and space marines over the other twenty or thirty he already saw? You need to make art that stands out so that when he sits at his desk later that night and thinks about the work he saw that day yours is what comes to mind first. 

That's how you're gonna get a job as a concept artist, not spending hundreds of thousands of dollars and six to eight years of your life in schooling.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By armaan8014
@Mowgers:@leecanread:@cap123:  
Hey thanks for the advice! So I guess I just got to practice the basics and  draw what I like, putting time and effort into it, and I'll get where I want to..  That's great, I'll do it!

@Crabcraft:
Getting a degree to back me up sounds like a safe thing to do, and as long as I'm doing my own game art practice, I'm going pretty much in the right direction am I not? 

@crusader8463:
Hey that's great, since for some reason I'm pretty bad at robots, space marines and all of those high-tech machine drawings.  What I prefer is to kind of draw portraits and landscapes I think. And I do put all of my feelings in my drawings too. I'm going to start on a drawing of a really beautiful looking landscape that I've thought of as soon as I get my drawing tablet, so that will show me whether my drawings have the potential to make people think. 
If you would have asked me, just for fun, where I'd like to work, I'd probably say some company that makes medieval RPGs, like Bethesda for instance. I'm really a big fan of nature (as you can see from my profile BG) and medieval era stories, and would love to draw something like that. Yeah I haven't drawn anything of the sort, but that's because I've had no time. Only one I could find time for was this one  (scanned version hasn't come out that well.)
And I think I have good imagination as well. Im planning to write a fantasy novel, I make music, and am a bit philosophical as well ;) So I guess I should go ahead?

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By j_drace

I don't want to be an asshole, but since you're asking for honest advice then you're pictures really aren't that great.  I'm going to point one out and it's the picture of David Beckham.  HIs face is completely off and I believe his hairstyle is too.  Those are the old 06 England kits and he didn't have that hair.  His left leg is way off as well.  The kit for the most part is good aside from his left hand as well where the captain's band is.  Shirts don't fold that way.  Honestly, I think you need a lot more practice because I know a few people who don't even practice drawing and draw way better.  They have natural talent though.  If drawing is something you're really into then additional practice shouldn't be anything and remember go for something you like and always strive to be the best.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By crusader8463
@armaan8014:  I know it's cliche to say it but always follow you're dreams no matter what others say. Even if they dont work out for you in the end, when you get older you will look back at the experience and feel good about you're self for trying it. One thing i have always believed is that it's impossible to waste you're time doing anything. No matter how it turns out in the end you will have always learned something you didn't know before, and that's one of the most important things in life. Even if you go to college and dont get the job you wanted you will learn so many other things you just cant imagine. Even though college ended up being a waste of time in terms of getting me employed, i learned so many things about life and myself during that time that it was worth the debt and the time for what it taught me about myself. Now when i look back i can say that at least i tried to follow my dreams, instead of being in the same position i am in now but wondering how my life might have been different if i had of gone.

To paraphrase an old saying; It's better to try and fail then to not try anything and never learn from you're mistakes.
CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

Go on the degree. 
I'm going on a game art degree.  I don't care what my parents think. They're not the ones who are gonna have to do it for the rest of their lives.
Fuck the people! Do what you wanna do! 
YEAH!

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By super_machine

OK, let me start by saying, I have an art degree. BFA. So I know exactly what you are going to get yourself into if you follow this path. If you really want to get into concept/entertainment design, there are a couple things you need to become really good at. 1. Figure drawing. 2. composition 3. lighting and rendering. 4. Perspective drawing.  The tools you use are up to you, but most concept work is done in corel draw or photoshop. see Craig Mullins

I would recommend majoring in industrial design, and minor in fine art or illustration. All the big name concept artists I've met all got their degrees in ID, with some illustration on the side. Let me just warn you though, its not an easy field to get into. You need to be at the top of your game, even then there isn't a whole lot of guarantee you will get they kind of job you want. But at least with an industrial design degree you could make a good living designing products instead of entertainment. 

Art is not an easy career path to follow but I suppose if you have the talent, skill and ambition you can make anything possible.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Not sure if they have been mentioned, but if you don't already know about them, you may be interested in ConceptArt.org and Massive Black 

These are good showcases of what would be expected from you.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There is no such thing as talent, there is only the ability to learn (talent is a word used by lazy people), some will pick up something in a month, while it may take another person a year. So at the moment it doesn't matter how good you are, BUT you have to be prepared to work you ass off to get to the skill level you want, this does not mean wishy washy drawings every week, it means practice EVERY day for a couple years, you cannot make excuses. Also doing a fine art course will do nothing unless you are prepared to work outside assignments in your own time. Concept art is super competitive, you wont get a job unless you excel at what you do, the only way that will ever happen is if you PRACTICE.   

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mshaw006

I'm sure you just ran out of paper, but Beckham's legs are hilarious.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Scooper
Sorry but they look crap.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By armaan8014
@j_drace: Well, yeah that's probably cause I'd drawn it when I was like, 14  or something... And I did mention I haven't had much time for drawing, so these are definitely not the best that I can do now.

@crusader8463: Hey thanks a lot! Yeah I do believe that following my dreams is the most important thing, but since the time decide has come so close, I'm getting a little nervous :D

@CharkeeFarlee: Haha! High five! and best of luck to you!

@super_machine:
Well I've actually never heard of ID... I chose BFA as with that I could go to a lot of other fields like advertisement, etc. I had never thought of illustration either. Could you fill me in about ID and illustration?