Need headphone recommendations

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jmrwacko

Hey, I'm looking for not one, but two pairs of headphones! I need a pair to replace my Sennheiser HD 280 pro's. Although I enjoy the great sound insulation from these phones, they're clunky, they give me headaches due to the tight fit, and the sound stage is pretty terrible due to the closed design, not to mention the bass is almost nonexistent. I'd like good open headphones for my computer that have great thumping bass (I listen to a lot of drums&bass like Pendulum) and that don't sound tinny at high frequencies, and that are comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Also, they should have a long wire because my tower's front motherboard audio ports don't work, so I have to plug em in all the way in the back :( I heard the Grado SR80i is a good pair at the $100 price range, but I'd like some more input.

Also, I want a good pair of work-out headphones or earbuds. My sony pair are starting to hurt my ears and the balance is all off, plus the highs are all tinny. I don't know if it's possible to have good bass in a compact headphone or earbuds, but if someone could recommend portable headphones or earbuds that have nice thumping bass I'd appreciate it.

irish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By irish
Jeknod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jeknod
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
@irish said:

" Will over at Tested.com did a write up on some headsets:  

http://www.tested.com/news/7-high-end-gaming-headsets-tested-and-reviewed/627/
"
Those are for gaming and probably wouldn't best suit the OP's needs.   

One of my friends has these, and they seem pretty nice.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
@Jeknod said:
Cheap, reliable, good for drum&bass. Koss PortaPro.
Good for more than drum & bass, the Koss Portapro have some of the best range in frequencies of any headsets under $100, if not THE best.  They beat a lot of higher end cans too.

They're comfortable as all hell, open ear so you don't get run over...  Fantastic warranty (lifetime, and you don't need a receipt or anything), although you always pay a few bucks, I got brand new headsets back...
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ZimboDK

I'm still rocking my Sennheiser HD 555's. They're awesome. Great sound, very comfortable (I can easily wear them for an entire day and not really notice them). Don't know if they're good for drum&bass, since I listen mostly to rock and 80's metal, but they're fine for that.

I can't really recommend any earbuds, but stay away from the Creative Aurvana ones. The sound is fucking terrible.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox
@jmrwacko:  Do you have a primary listening location? If so I recommend buying a Buttkicker Gamer tactile transducer for the bass reproduction in addition to a decent pair of cans. They're also great for gaming, especially on the PC. I have two and love the holy fuck out of them. They complement my Sennheiser HD-595's excellently and make up for the lack of a subwoofer. You don't have to attach to the center post of a computer chair, but that's the easiest setup. I have one stuffed between the cushions of my living room couch.

I cannot try and sell you on it enough. Do you still play Bad Company 2? That is one of the best games to use it with out there today. DICE even thought to enable the subwoofer output when using headphone mode for just such a setup. I swear you will never look at sound the same way again.

Well you don't look at sound anyway, but you get the point. Lack of bass has never since been an issue.
(edit: wow this place has version 2 for 90. Both of mine are first generation and have the shitty amp that overheats. I might have to get a new one and send one of my older ones to GB. Both of mine were used when I bought them: one for $88 from Guitar World and the other for $60 from this flight sim enthusiast website. I now want to upgrade to a full sized model but am afraid I'll destroy yet another chair. Protip: tighten all screws and insert felt spacers between loose metal.)

I just wish I had an Astro mixamp to complete the set.

edit: The reason I say you don't need much bass in your actual headphones when you use a transducer is because even though it doesn't project sound, you will still be able to hear the low frequencies (around 60hz and below) resonate through your body. And the more isolation you have in your headphones, the louder it will be. I can sit here and plug my ears and it will sound like somebody is bassing with a couple 20 inch subwoofers right outside in my driveway.

Of course you will want some bass in the headphones themselves. But not as much as you would expect. And to get the same type of tactile effect from a subwoofer, you'd have to turn the volume up to levels beyond what's required for hearing loss.

Do you play an instrument? Also use speakers as well as headphones? Like action films?
Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercator

I have a pair of Grado SR60s and have yet to hear a pair of sub 100 dollar headphones anywhere near the quality but I have never heard the 80s. If I were you I would just get the 80s, put on your favorite record and hear things for the first time.  

Koss Portapros are nice too, but I would still recommend the grados.

tychoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By tychoon

I own Sennheiser HD215. Very clean and good sound. Best headphones I've had in my life. Also they are very comfortable, I have never felt any uncomfort while wearing them. I've owned these for 2yrs+ and they still haven't broken anywhere(they bend a little more now tho obv). However the sound with these is reaaalllly clean and they don't provide you super strong bass. However I've listened a bunch of bass-heavy music and I'd still consider these the best pair I've owned.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox
@tychoon:  Even if they do break, Sennheiser has a great send-in replacement price. It only cost me $50 to get a brand new pair of HD-595's after one of the cans separated form the headband on my old pair after 5+ years of heavy use and abuse.
acev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By acev

Sennheiser 515  

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By arkasai
@Mercator said:

" I have a pair of Grado SR60s and have yet to hear a pair of sub 100 dollar headphones anywhere near the quality but I have never heard the 80s. If I were you I would just get the 80s, put on your favorite record and hear things for the first time.    Koss Portapros are nice too, but I would still recommend the grados. "

QFT.  Grado by far makes the best headphones in terms of performance/dollar.  The SR80i headphones are widely regarded (by audiophiles, mind you) as the best headphones you can buy for under $100.  And I'd argue their SR225i's are the best $200 headphones around.  Someone mentioned the PortaPro's in an earlier post, these are also quite good for the money.
forestofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By forestofdeath

i personally own a pair of grado SR80is--they're excellent. they deliver a great range of bass and treble, without dramatically altering the equalization of your music. it's reproduction feels...pure. plus, they're damn comfortable for extended use. 

also: consider audio-technica's ATH AD700 line of headphones. given even the slightest amplification from your sound source, it puts to shame some of the market's more expensive models. i bought them primarily for their expansive sound-stage, which continues to impress me. be warned, though: they're a little goofy looking. :P

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By wrathofconn

I use the earbuds that came with my iPod 4 years ago. They sound so good.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By BigBoss1911

I was thinking of ordering these next week  
http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-09HP541-Style-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B002VWJY7U/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280379811&sr=1-20

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By one_2nd

For gaming: the Turtle Beach x1s have worked for me.  

For music: headphones- skull crushers by Skullcandy are great.  
     earbuds - the skullcandy rasta earbuds are great (I use those for my iPod).  

Now, of the three the turtlebeach's bass is really high, I recommend those for the most bass. 

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss

I love my Sennheiser HD 280s

ashenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ashenn
@Arkasai said:

" @Mercator said:

" I have a pair of Grado SR60s and have yet to hear a pair of sub 100 dollar headphones anywhere near the quality but I have never heard the 80s. If I were you I would just get the 80s, put on your favorite record and hear things for the first time.    Koss Portapros are nice too, but I would still recommend the grados. "

QFT.  Grado by far makes the best headphones in terms of performance/dollar.  The SR80i headphones are widely regarded (by audiophiles, mind you) as the best headphones you can buy for under $100.  And I'd argue their SR225i's are the best $200 headphones around.  Someone mentioned the PortaPro's in an earlier post, these are also quite good for the money. "
These guys know what they are talking about. I'm a music tech student and I have the Grado SR80i's, 60's are great too. But the sound quality out of them is amazing. Defiantly check them out you wont find many if any better sounding headphones. Plus they fit what you want since they are open.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By masternater27

Yes, stick with Sennheiser in whatever price range you're comfortable with.  I've had several pairs over the years and always been pleased as punch.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox
@jmrwacko:  What kind of soundcard/amplifier do you have? That has a major impact in audible bass almost as much as the headphone itself. My HD-595's were under-powered on my motherboard, old USB Audigy card, and X-Fi fatality PCI unit. Only after I got my front bay for my X-Fi card did it sound like it should. Now I use an optical cable in from my consoles and play them through my soundcard.

I just hate being stuck in front of my PC for the right sound. That's why I want an Astro mixamp. Damn X-Fi doesn't decode Dolby Digital 5.1 in real-time like those assholes at Creative advertised.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By wefwefasdf
@JJWeatherman said:
" @irish said:

" Will over at Tested.com did a write up on some headsets:  

http://www.tested.com/news/7-high-end-gaming-headsets-tested-and-reviewed/627/
"
Those are for gaming and probably wouldn't best suit the OP's needs.   

One of my friends has these, and they seem pretty nice. "
I have them as well. They are very comfortable (I wear them for hours at a time) and they have great sound quality.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jmrwacko
@MrKlorox:  I play electronic drums, so I get what you're shooting towards. Yeah, that device you linked definitely sounds cool. Do you think it complements music as well as games? It sounds like a little subwoofer for your computer chair, I like it. And I also need to think about the comfort of my cans (can't always be having a headache at the computer) so I'll go for either the Sennheiser HD-595's or the Grados SR80i's.

Oh and I have an inboard Realtek High Definition Audio card in my gigabyte motherboard that uses HD Audio. Would a PCI-e soundcard make a big difference?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox
@jmrwacko said:

" @MrKlorox:  I play electronic drums, so I get what you're shooting towards. Yeah, that device you linked definitely sounds cool. Do you think it complements music as well as games? It sounds like a little subwoofer for your computer chair, I like it. And I also need to think about the comfort of my cans (can't always be having a headache at the computer) so I'll go for either the Sennheiser HD-595's or the Grados SR80i's.  Oh and I have an inboard Realtek High Definition Audio card in my gigabyte motherboard that uses HD Audio. Would a PCI-e soundcard make a big difference? "

YES it is usually even better for music. It's sometimes used by concert drummers so they can get a feel for their kick volume, so they know if they're getting softer after tiring out. There are standing platforms for bass players as well. I imagine it would feel insane to surf your own music. Electronic drums are even better since you can choose the palette yourself and set plenty of effects.

You'll end up looking for music that makes better use of the low end and end up realizing some of your old favorites weren't that well recorded. You might even end up getting into bands who don't threat their audible spectrum with much respect, but their sub end practically knocks you out of your seat. 

I've gotten into a lot more hip-hop and some electronic music since I got mine because the metal I used to use exclusively is usually terrible in the low end. It's almost all centered on the kick. Rock bands who treat the bass guitar with a higher low-end priority than the kick sound will really begin to stand out.

Regarding the soundcard, the biggest advantage for headphones would be how much power it sends to drive the cans and how much feedback from your processor/motherboard is present. That's why I went with a front bay: my older external USB soundcard sounded better than my newer internal PCI (not e) X-Fi and I couldn't figure out why. The front bay solved that and gave me a shitload of input/output ports. So I guess I'm advocating a powerful but not-so-internal approach. When this X-Fi card dies, I'm NOT going back to Creative. I've read good things about ASUS soundcards but haven't used any. 

If there isn't already an article regarding this on Tested, there damn well should be. I'd love to find out how well the new android phones sound as well since that would be a big application for me. If you go with an external digital decoder like the Astro mixamp, you'll probably circumvent the need for a dedicated card as long as your mobo has a digital out.

edit: Sadly many many games take the 5.0 surround approach and rely on your sound hardware to redirect the bass to your sub channel. This is a problem because the sound is usually redirected instead of cloned, meaning those frequencies aren't coming out of your regular speakers (in this case headphones). So I have a bunch of cords running under my desk set up so I can switch between the sub out channel and the stereo out (through a stereo ground loop isolator  [I think it comes with a mono one now, the old version came with stereo a one] and combined with a Y cable in that order to prevent crossfeed in my headphones).

edit2: and I've been told by a couple others who've tried both th SR80 and HD595 that they prever the SR80's because the 595's are too bright -- or was that SR125i. So by the time you get your bass levels right your highs are more than you want. Then again this was without a bass seat. I can listen to low volume audio and have the transducer turned up and the bass be as present as ever.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

As for seats, I use a chair that has its back suspended from the seat by a bar on each side that goes into the chair's arms. Having gone through five or so center post chairs, this was by far the best solution.
hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hakooon

I use the Roccat Kave 5.1 surround headset for gaming, and a Koss PortaPro for training and stuff. I can really recommend both! :)

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno

It's not such a good idea to ask for peripheral suggestions on forums, since what you'll get is most people simply telling you what they're currently using or wishing to buy right now. A better idea is to check out roundups such as this one or this one, read the details and individual reviews, and decide from there.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By arkasai

Seeing as you're planning on using these headphones for drumming, you might want to look into closed rather an open-air designs.  I know drummers tend to prefer close headphones, maybe due to sound leakage.  Personally I don't like the confined sound of closed designs, though they often provide much more powerful bass than open-air models.  The open variety let a lot of sound in and out, so if you've got other musicians / recordings going on you will hear them very clearly, and this might be a bad thing.  But if you're mostly solo and you're only using headphones with no loud ambient noise nearby, I'd recommend open-air headphones.  Again, I have to plug Grado :) I'm a real sucker for their retro look and superb sound. 

No Caption Provided
(woah, .png wackiness)
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jmrwacko

Thanks for the advice. Bumping so MrKlorox's epic write-up gets more views.