Need help buying a Point and shoot camera!

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

Please read through all of the below before recommending anything :)

Alright i've been doing this research for days and I can't seem to find a single P&S camera under my budget that is widely recommended. The opinions vary a lot and there are too many options!

So my budget is about 15k Indian rupees (approx 300 - 350$) The issue is, under this budget there are two very good cameras - Nikon coolpix L120 and Nikon coolpix L810 (bridge ?)

I would have brought one of those, but two of my friends already have those and I really don't wanna bring another one - that would be quite boring. Also, the review on CNET doesn't really seem to like L810 either (and what's a bridge?)

This will be my first personal camera, and my only experience is taking photos from my friends' above mentioned cameras and a little bit with some other friends' DSLRs.

So basically I want a camera that's : close to DSLRs in terms of image quality (mainly best image quality within the budget), better than my friends cameras (obviously), and with maybe a little bit of more manual control so I have more control over the pictures I take rather then the automatic results the camera provides me with (but this point is flexible. Main requirement is good image quality). A good FPS and resolution for videos is also preferable.

I've read a few things about aperture size, focal length etc but im still a little confused about them. But it seems like I would want larger aperture size. Also preferable would be higher ISO for low light and less noise (so megapixels would make a difference her)

But each of these factors seem to have these pros and cons, which is where I need your help.

What I DON'T care about are things like : Size (ease of carrying), weight, design, features like touchscreen, etc.

I did a LOT of research, and have narrowed down a list of cameras. It would be nice if you could go through all of them and provide your recommendation, or get an idea of my choice from them and maybe suggest something under the same budget that I might have missed.

Also, im a little confused between the shape of the lense that different cameras seem to have. It would look like the L120 would be more powerful because of its larger - looking round lens than the squarish lens in the canon sx 260 hs, but the reviews don't seem to say so. So does that particular difference in the shape of the lens make a difference? IMAGE COMPARISON -

So anyway here's my narrowed down list (all are links to CNET reviews as I found those pretty helpful) Please take a look :)

Compare to these - Nikon coolpix L120 and L810(Should be "better" in the preferred aspects mentioned above!) (both are bridge versions in my area btw)

Nikon Coolpix s8200

Sony Cybershot DSC HX5V

Canon Powershot Sx40 HS

Canon Powershot S100

Sony Cybershot DSC HX200v(hyperlink not working. Link - http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc/4505-6501_7-35152783.html)

Sony Cybershot DSC HX100v (Link - http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc/4505-6501_7-35152783.html)

Olympus XZ -1 ( http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/olympus-xz-1/4505-6501_7-34469429.html)

Canon Powershot Sx260HS (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sx260-hs/4505-6501_7-35137435.html)

Sony Cybershot DSC W290 (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc/4505-6501_7-33528936.html)

Panasonic Lumix DMC Zs20 (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs20/4505-6501_7-35133418.html)

Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ20

Canon Ixus 1100 HS (http://www.flipkart.com/canon-ixus-1100-hs-point-shoot/p/itmd2wqh3v24sh8s)

Thank you for your help!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

I really don't have any idea, I hate to be that guy but I heard of this website called Tested.com which thrives on these kinds of topics. Copy and paste this their and you will probably find better results.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By armaan8014

@Hizang: Ah yeah forgot about that... thanks

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By armaan8014

Id still appreciate comments from users here, so keep posting :)

Spooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Spooks

Have you thought about a mirrorless interchangable lens camera? You can probably find something like a Sony Nex-3, or Olympus E-PM1 within your budget if you shop around or pick one up second hand. The larger sensors in these cameras will mean the image quality will blow those compacts out the water.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By armaan8014

@Spooks: Im clueless about these mirror-less cameras. They go a little above my budget but maybe I could find them cheaper somewhere. But what is the main difference? And are they durable and everything in comparison to P&s?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By armaan8014

@Spooks: Looks interesting. I could possibly stretch my budget for either olympus EPL1 or Sony nex - 3k.

More suggestions are welcome

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

@armaan8014 said:

@Spooks: Im clueless about these mirror-less cameras. They go a little above my budget but maybe I could find them cheaper somewhere. But what is the main difference? And are they durable and everything in comparison to P&s?

They don't have any moving parts (Other than the shutter.), when you open the shutter you directly expose the sensor, making them quick to shoot, compact and light. tested has one video of a Sony mirrorless camera.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By fox01313

Most of the simple point & shoot cameras are pretty similar in range of options, aside from looking in the new & used section on amazon for a better price the best way to pick would be to find an electronics/camera store & just look them over in person. Some cameras I've seen do a good job with the back/top on the button placement but others might be a little more awkward to use or just feels like the body is cheaply made.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By armaan8014

Which would be the most recommendable one from the list I gave?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By armaan8014

@Mikemcn said:

@armaan8014 said:

They don't have any moving parts (Other than the shutter.), when you open the shutter you directly expose the sensor, making them quick to shoot, compact and light. tested has one video of a Sony mirrorless camera.

Thanks for the video, was helpful :)

Its seems though that Sony NEX 3K and the Olympus E- PL1 have been discontinued, and these were the ONLY mirrorless cameras close to my budget. The rest are just way too expensive.

Check this page out maybe? (list of mirrorless cameras available in my country)

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@armaan8014 said:

Id still appreciate comments from users here, so keep posting :)

I would have to recommend the Panasonic Lumix LX5 (or have you wait for the supposed 1inch sensor'd LX6). The LX's are as close to a DSLR as you can get in a unibody frame. My LX1 produces amazing shots in daylight still and it's from 2003!