Need help finding books

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Due to load shedding ( i think its called rolling blackouts in other places?) happening in my country, i have ramp up my reading. I mainly enjoy reading history books focusing on World War 2 ( I have no idea why) but I want to branch out.

I have a list of books I'm thinking of getting but I am having trouble finding books in regards to religion mainly the creation/history of that religion. Can anyone recommend books on religion(s), I see Reza Aslan come up a few times in regards to Islam but I am also looking for Christianity, Hinduism and the like.

Heres my current list of books im thinking of getting:

• The Prose Edda
  • The Poetic Edda
  • The Viking Spirit
  • No God but God
  • A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years

Some Fiction books:

• King in Yellow
  • Man with a thousand faces

Any recommendations? if anyone can recommend good war books (regardless of the war) that would be cool too.

Havent really searched for this, but a book on the financial gain/loss of world war 2 from the german side would be interesting.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Though neither is primarily a history of a specific war, War Before Civilization: The Myth of the Peaceful Savage by Lawrence H. Keeley and Warfare and Agriculture in Classical Greece by Victor David Hanson are both very interesting and well-written books on the subject of warfare.

If you're reading up on mythology you should include the classics. Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Virgil's Aeneid, Ovid's Metamorphoses and Statius' Thebaid are all excellent.

patchryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have a heady book list.

I like Walter Isaacson biographies, like Steve Jobs or Albert Einstein.

David Sedaris is a wonderful comedy author you might enjoy.

Good luck with the rolling blackouts. That must suck.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed "Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms" by Gerard Russell which is about lesser-known but often ancient religions in the Middle East, such as the Yazidis, Coptics, Zoroastrians, Druze and others. It's a pretty quick read with a lot of interviews and anecdotes.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I have a collection of Viking stories called "Viking Myths and Sagas" by Rosalind Kerven. I actually haven't dived into it yet because I'm still running through these Expanse books (I'm on six of seven!), but it seems pretty well put-together.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Bart Ehrman has a ton of books about early Christianity that might be what you're looking for. I would say comparable to Reza Aslan in terms of their intended reader; popular histories for a general audience.

If you haven't already read it, Robert Graves' Goodbye to All That is fantastic, though there are some bits of casual racism typical of the time it was written.