Need help getting a video camera for sports coverage..and stuff

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey GBC

I am trying to find out what might be the best video camera for covering matial art events. I've been searching the net and found this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109404-REG/panasonic_hc_v270_full_hd_camcorder.html

Im not sure how well this will be, right now im using a camcorder which records 720p 30fps, but i want to get higher quality video but dont want to spend $1000+. Is there any camera i should consider getting?

Also, any good places to learn about camera tech, just so i know what to look out and not get screwed over by marketing babble?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I don't know anything about cameras, but I figured I'd just get this out of the way now so it won't derail the topic later on. It'd come up sooner or later, anyway.

"...and stuff" is totally sex, right?

And now, back to the actual camera technology stuff.

redking56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good angle that is stationary (no zooming or paning) and captures the action well will help more than any camera can.

If you want "better quality" it's obvious that 1080p60 would be what you'd aim for but beware that if you don't have the right editing software that can work with progressive 60fps, it will be pointless.

As for camera suggestions, a DSLR type camera would not be suitable. All the ones I know of that are cheapish use rolling stutters which are poor for filming sports events. Any good 3CCD HD camera will put you into the thousands, even the 10 year old miniDV ones.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert: Wasn't thinking that when I wrote it.. but now I am. If that does happen, remember you started me down the road.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@bbalpert: Wasn't thinking that when I wrote it.. but now I am. If that does happen, remember you started me down the road.

Depending on how that goes, either you're welcome or I'm sorry.