Need to vent

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

Hey Giant Bomb...is it okay to vent? If not feel free to delete.

I'm a teacher who is required to be in my building but students are at home. Fine, it works, already have had multiple covid scares just with staff, but whatever.

My wife and I have been going through IVF for the last 6 years. Multiple miscarriages and the death of our daughter has made it super tough.

Parents want kids back, school board agreed. They told our union today that we can either take a leave of absence without pay or work in school with the kids. I've sent in multiple doctors notes requesting remote teaching and they've been denied. If I or my wife get covid it will delay the next round of the IVF process a ton. It already takes forever. Usually one transfer a year.

I'm literally stunned. I don't know what to do.

I cant afford to quit, but literally don't feel safe at my job. I've been a teaching for 11 years and I've never felt more disrespected at my job.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've rewritten several times over now, how to start this with me describing in my own words how this makes me feel. And every draft I've deleted was deleted because I don't feel like it's helpful for me to say those words because you're probably already there. I'm not saying people shouldn't, just that I wanted to say that I've not been in most of the situations you describe, but my heart goes out to you both.

I didn't want this to stay as the only comment in the thread for long. Not sure if you're crowdsourcing for suggestions or empathy or I've butted in on a screed(And will delete this if I have butted in), but here for it.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

I'm a teacher, and I hear you.

First, continue to fight the system with the support of your union. These sorts of battles will only get harder and more difficult without collective bargaining and unionization.

When it comes to returning to work remember to know your limits. You know you better than any of your district officials. The general advice other members of NEA have shared during the meetings I have attended is to have at least five N95 masks and label them Monday through Friday. After using one mask, let them rest outside or in your car for a week before reusing them. Likewise, it would be advisable to wear a face shield. With the face shield make sure your hair is covered as large droplets can collect in your hair. Finally, when you do return home, you clothes should immediately go into the wash and you should avoid brining any work belongings into your home.

To add to that, explore your options regarding health insurance if and when your district holds "open enrollment." To compliment that, buy life insurance and begin the process of drafting a last will and testament.

If none of this helps you during your time of need, and you leave the profession under duress or protest, I understand and wish you and your family the best.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should probably go in the off-topic forums, rather than General Giant Bomb discussion. ;)

That said, how is it possible that the Teacher's Union which represents you is just bending over backwards for this? Where I'm from, unions in general take very dim view of administrators/supervisors dropping ultimatums along the lines of "either do what we say or quit".

If the school board refuses to accept the obvious compromise of implementing remote learning, your union should have a host of alternatives to offer, including legal challenges and even teacher's strikes.

AndyC80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please know that whatever decision you make is the right one. Have you considered private tutoring or small class break out? There are a lot of parents who aren’t crazy about kids being in an building and are willing to pay. It’s not a perfect option but as a licensed teacher you have options.

Jeeboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buddy I'm so sorry, my wife is a teacher in NY and her school is doing something very similar. We're very lucky because we are young and healthy and not trying to have a kid but we have teacher friends with health issues who are going through the same BS as you and being told they're only option is taking a leave of absence.

Teachers are treated as disposable in this country and asked to do everything with insanely modest resources. It's disgusting that you're being forced to make this impossible choice and asked to clean up the mess that our useless government has made of the pandemic.

One friend who teaches with my wife has a heart condition and her doctor told her she would die if she got covid. She took a leave of absence when her school announced they would be doing hybrid (virtual and in person). She can't really afford it either (who could seriously) but did it with assumption that in the next month or two cases would spike enough that her school would go back to all virtual and she could teach again.

My wife found being vocal about this in her union meeting helped other people come forward about. It hasn't changed much or anything really but at least made her feel less isolated and helped her connect with other union members who felt the same. Maybe eventually they'll get the union to fight back more.

I wish I had some more useful advice or anything comforting. It's so cruel to do this to anyone but they're using teachers love for their kids and job against them in a uniquely nasty way.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

High school teacher here and I also absolutely hear you.

I'm feeling super fortunate that my school is maintaining full distance learning for both teachers and students.

You said that your union is the one that was given this ultimatum. Has there been any guidance they have communicated to the teachers?

mackdack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: I’m sorry for your struggle right now.

It’s such a harsh time to do anything!!

I truly hope you and your wife make a choice that only benefit you and your family.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

@petesix0:Thank you so much for your response. It's just nice to know people appreciate the situation, etc.

@zombiepie: Thanks Zombie. I appreciate it. Our district has told us that they can put tape on my floor to let the students know not to come close to me. They also can give me a face shield, and plexiglass around my desk. However, as a teacher, you know it too, it's hard not to teach without circulating the classroom, etc. It would be dang near impossible to just stand behind my desk and teach. Unfortunately, our union seems to be just sort of giving up. Half tempted to reach out to a union lawyer and see what they say too. I'm just at a loss, ya know?

@dasakamov: You are totally correct. I meant to select off-topic, but was typing on my phone at the time. Sorry about that! I'm hoping our union is going to step up, but their last messages didn't seem to be the case. It just sucks.

@andyc80: I hadn't honestly thought about that. At this point, I feel like all options are on the table. I just never thought I'd be in a position like this.

@jeeboz: Thanks for reaching out. It just helps know other people understand the same situation. I'm hoping our union will step up, but I feel like it's too early to tell at this point. This whole thing is just a mess. There's a few other teachers who are in similar health situations. We're trying to look at FMLA, but my particular situation seems to be a gray area when it comes to FMLA.

@turambar: That's awesome to hear that your school is still going the full remote route. It just makes sense to me. I get that parents are extremely upset about kids being home, but I feel like they need to see how it'll effect the teachers as well. My hope is to reach out to our union lawyer and see what they suggest, but I'm not holding out hope at this point.

@mackdack: Thank you very much. It just helps knowing people are supportive. That's why I love GB!