New "Logan" Trailer Released

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Seems like this is the week for trailers since we have had Red Dead 2, Nintendo, Assassins Creed, GotG and Now the new Wolverine trailer.

This first X-Men: Origins Wolverine movies was god. fucking. awful. I thought the second Wolverine movie was actually pretty OK, it just kind of fell to bits at the end. This trailer does look really really good and I hope the movie holds up to that. It's clear they are using some inspiration from Old Man Logan but are making the movie it's own thing.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Choosing the Johnny Cash cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" for this was an incredible choice and fits really well for the character. I can't freaking wait for this. Thank you, Hugh Jackman for giving Wolverine such a presence for 17 years. I'll be sad to see it over and done with.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not gonna lie, my first thought when watching this was that I'm getting real tired of how the X-Men movies are handling their timelines/chronologies. They're becoming a complete mess. I really enjoyed The Wolverine, so I hope this is good too, and Jackman is always great in the role...I just wish they would get their crap together as a series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost like a The Last of Us movie but with mutants.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By maginnovision

I thought this was going to be about Logan's run somehow. It all made sense until box... Since it's X-Men I have no opinion.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@frostyryan: Didn't really work for me. Mostly because it's been used so much.

The other Wolverine films have been terrible, this one looks kind of Old Man Logan-ish but thankfully not all the way there (Old Man Logan is not good).

I just hope the girl isn't some surrogate from that comic or an x-23 surrogate.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Almost every X-Men movie has been bad but this looks maybe dialed back and intimate enough to be interesting.

Cesakich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I'm pretty sure they said her name's Laura and that she's "like" Logan, so she isn't an X-23 surrogate, she's just straight up X-23

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@frostyryan: Didn't really work for me. Mostly because it's been used so much.

The other Wolverine films have been terrible, this one looks kind of Old Man Logan-ish but thankfully not all the way there (Old Man Logan is not good).

I just hope the girl isn't some surrogate from that comic or an x-23 surrogate.

Yeah, that straight up is X-23.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Humanity

I was expecting it to look a bit grittier but it does look interesting which is more than I can say for most Marvel movies. Hopefully the R rating isn't some marketing stunt and it's a mature story along with some blood and guts here and there.

Still don't like the way they animate his claws or those ridiculous torpedo/M. Bison dives.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they don't screw up the movie in the last half hour like they did with Wolverine, but hopefully it'll be the best of Logan's movies.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

Looks reeeeeeeeeeally good. The non-head-stabby trailer shows what's probably X-23's claws out against Wolverine.

Loading Video...

Kinda hoping that masked fellow's Deadpool, especially because this thing looks super serious and a completely obscured Deadpool could work to shake things up a bit without coming off as a cheap bombastic cameo. Uncredited and we never see the regular outfit/his face. Dude's just there.

Aaaand apparently that's actually Stephen Merchant as Caliban. Fuckin Stephen Merchant is in this movie. Great!

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: sorry to burst your bubble but she is X-23

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good, hopefully they do this one right. I enjoyed the other despite the flaws since im a huge wolverine fan.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hassun
PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: Pretty sure the masked man is Stephen Merchant as Caliban.

This movie seems like a take on the end of the Old Man Logan story with different characters. Obviously Logan is the key character, but instead of him riding off in the sunset with baby Hulk, this movie will focus on him moving around with X-23. They couldn't use a majority of that stories character's anyway, so it's no surprise they aren't doing a straight adaptation.

Hopefully this turns out to be as good as the trailer is letting on, but I'm skeptical from the previous 2 films. I'm also going to assume this movie takes place in a different timeline from the most recent X-men films?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@philosyfee: According to the director, this takes place in 2024, after the "happy ending" epilogue in Days of Future Past. Which seems to completely nullify the point of that ending, but whatevs.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters: I figured that was the case. So they made a movie, to retcon a previous movie, only to revert the stakes of said movie in to a sequel, but with slightly changed circumstances?
Genius!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@philosyfee: More than any other franchise, they've gone full superhero comics!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks fantastic. I'm loving that after 15+ years of loud, epic, globe-trotting superhero movies filled with explosions, doomsday devices/plots, and move explosions, we're getting what seems like a much more personal superhero movie on what seems like a much smaller scale. It's probably a given that this film will have it's fair share of gunfire and explosions, but based on the tone of the trailer, the action portion seems secondary to telling the final story (presumably?) of this character...and I love that.

Hey, maybe I'm giving it too much credit, but this is the most impressed and surprised I've been by a superhero trailer in quite some time.

Cesakich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also maybe I'm getting him confused for a different character but shouldn't Caliban be super weird looking? He's the goblin-looking guy that can smell mutants from the comics, right?

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks great. I also just am at the point where I don't give a shit about any timeline consistency stuff from these films. They got to the point where they made a self aware joke about it in Deadpool, at which point I realized, oh they're not really taking the timeline stuff too too seriously so why should I. As long as the characters are engaging and the movies are interesting im down. The X men movies have always been about interesting characters being played by over-qualified theater actors anyways. Never been so much about super coherent plotlines. Ughhh, the casting in these movies are sooo good! Honestly there's no reason Hugh Jackman (a super bubbly musical star prior to X men) should have worked as wolverine. Also quicksilver, compare the Ultron casting the the X men one. I really like these movies.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Hunter5024

Say what you will about the sorry state of X-men as a film universe, they've put out some pretty good fucking movies, and that's what I'm looking for anyways. Hopefully this movie is one of those, and not one of the garbage ones. It seems like it's going in the right direction, I'm into the idea of a mature R rated Wolverine movie, seems like a more personal kind of story, and I kinda dig seeing him as an old man. This trailer made me realize I've been watching Jackman play Wolverine since I was like 9 years old, so it really fits. Thumbs up, Trailer.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I guess I'm not a big fan of dumping all over the ending of Days of Future Past (which has its own problems with continuity even before the part where it basically exists to retcon X3,) but on the other hand I'm into the vibe of this trailer. It's gonna be weird when someone other than Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine, and I hope this movie is better than the other two Wolverine movies and gives him a good send off.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: The song works so well for me because of how fitting it is for this character. One of the first things you learn about him in the first film is the fact that it hurts him every time he needs to pull out those claws, physically, and we can guess mentally.

I know this series can get cheesy but I appreciate when it wants to get a little deep and personal. Hurt is a good fit.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

You could convince me to watch most movies by putting that song in the trailer.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I really dig it.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering if anyone else got that vibe. Certainly seemed that way to me. All in all, I'll probably download it.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks more like a Last of Us movie than an Old Man Logan movie, which is a good thing. OML is a mess of sloppy writing with a few highpoints. This seems to be striving for a much more emotional story. Love the musical choice, and I'm eager to see more.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BrainScratch

This is probably the first superhero movie trailer I enjoyed since Nolan's Batman movies. I'm curious about this one.

I liked the X-Men comics and cartoons when I was a kid, but I think all the X-Men movies, besides First Class, were terrible on various levels. The farther away they can stay from Bryan Singer's movies, the better.

@grizzledwolf said:
@whatshisface said:

I was wondering if anyone else got that vibe. Certainly seemed that way to me. All in all, I'll probably download it.

I got that vibe as well

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, it's not like The Last of Us was the first piece of media with that kind of set-up. It's a pretty established concept.

No Caption Provided

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, with the logical part of my brain that even though the trailer works super well with the shots they selected and the great music choice that it could all be one big misdirection and not be that good, it knows that. And on a personal taste level I thought most of the movies were middling at best.

But emotionally AUUUUUUUHOLYSHITTHATSSOGOOD. I've watched it like 20 times already, I haven't done that in forever, everything about it works so well. I haven't been excited for a super hero movie since Nolans Batman movies. Please be as good as the trailer makes it out to be, pleeease.
Plus Stephen Merchant! Horray!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really love Hugh Jackman's rendition of Logan/Wolverine. While I still think some of the other X-Men characters, both new and old, are interesting - Jackman is just so memorable in the role of Wolverine. Taking that character and then stripping back the fantastic element to focus on that character is really interesting. Adding in the more helpless, serious tone also has me on board. I'm really pumped for this!

I still haven't seen Apocalypse or Deadpool yet, though did really like First Class and Days of Future Past: but this it a lot more interesting to me than a straight good-vs-evil superhero film. I hope it ends up being good.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this trailer has made me far more emotional then I ever would have thought possible. As much of a train wreck the first Wolverine film was (haven't seen the second, should I?), and even thought the X-men films have a varying quality across them, Hugh Jackman and Sir Patrick Stewart have been these iconic character for a decade. The most perfect song chosen for this trailer, cut almost perfectly to show so many different emotions and moods, and the thought of these actors hanging up such iconic mantles after this....is enough to make a grown man tear up. Also I know he is in absolutely fine health and still acting and enjoying his life, but thinking about an old Patrick Stewart going increasingly senile, even just in a movie role, is heartbreaking. This trailer hit me hard with the realization that this might could happen to him during my lifetime, gods forbid. I'm not ready to think about such a historic actor getting towards the end of his life, and this fucking trailer made me. I was not expecting to have so many feels today,

I am beyond fucking fascinated by this film, and will be seeing it in the theater opening weekend. I'm sure it'll have it's fair share of "comic book jank" but I think sending these fantastic actors off is an important of a reason to see it as just wanting to (though I very much want to)

I'm usually not on the Non-Disney/CMU side of Marvel films anymore, outside the rare exception of Deadpool, but man I might be as equally excited for this as I am Guardians Vol 2 next year. Also we get Spider Man Homecoming AND John Wick 2 next year?

I don't think I've ever been more excited for a years upcoming movies.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

What an awesome trailer. I'm glad that Fox is letting them not do an "end of the world" plot. This is the kind of film that will allow comic book films to keep thriving. They can't all be about saving the world.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lazy musical choice aside, this looks pretty interesting to me, as someone who really doesn't care much about superhero movies anymore. The fact that it's apparently going to be R-rated helps a lot too.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: While I agree with you 99.9% of the other times JC's "Hurt" is used (although by itself is an amazing cover) it's bland and not worthy, I feel that old Wolverine is the perfect use of it. It describes him to a perfect T. Ancient, lost everything, rebuilt, lost it again X100, agony every time he uses his weapon or fights, yet nature won't let him die. I don't know what else I would use in it's place to try to match the feeling they seem to be going for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Oh for sure, but if you look at Logan, doesn't he look a lot like Joel? And Logan has to protect a girl, like Ellie.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_wiswell: Old Man Logan is so bad. Hell anything written by Mark Millar is awful.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What an awesome trailer. I'm glad that Fox is letting them not do an "end of the world" plot. This is the kind of film that will allow comic book films to keep thriving. They can't all be about saving the world.

How much you want to bet that there will be a line in the movie "The girl is the world to me."

Cool trailer.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was thinking a bit about whether I agree that the Old Man Logan story is actually bad as some suggest. Going purely based off of memory I think I've come to the conclusion that it's a really good alternate world premise (the heroes losing and Logan in particular having a legitimate trauma that would get him to give up popping his claws), some fun elements (Old Hawkeye, the Spider-buggy, etc.) but flubs the execution on the back of some needlessly cruel elements (Hulk inbreeding with She-Hulk, Hawkeye's daughter, the fate of his family). The end felt like Wolverine being forced out pacifism out of revenge rather than actually rediscovering heroism.

Compared to some of Mark Millar's other work it's not the worst thing but, yeah, it has problems when you really look at it. With that said, if they go with parts about Wolverine's role in a world where the heroes lost and his friends passing away I could see it succeeding where Millar's story has some flaws.

Personally I'm excited if for no other reason that I suspect Jackman and Stewart will give it their all as a fitting sendoff to the character.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it shows a lot of promise especially since they are going the rated R rating but I have reservations as they are still doing a lot of "Wolverine movie" things in that trailer. I'm also curious how Fantomex and X-23 are going to tie into everything as I think they are post Old Man Logan characters in terms of the marvel-verse.

Heard they were going to try to get Liev Schrieber to reprise his role as Sabertooth but I don't see anything in the IMDB. Can't be any worse than Origins or Last Stand right?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine is in a bad place, wants to be left alone, gets pulled back into action by a female. His healing factor doesn't work. Stop me if you've heard this one. Same director as the last one. Hitting a lot of the same beats as every other movie with Wolverine in it. Sure, the trailer looks good, but I've been fooled before. Fox has pretty much been doing do-overs for almost 16 years now. I think I'm done caring.

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruiner: I mean you could simplify plots like that for most blockbuster movies. Avengers films: Group of heroes have to stop charismatic villain who has a sort of familial connection to and feels resentment towards one of the characters. Heroes have disagreement amongst themselves, eventually reconcile and group together for final fight taking place around a falling apart metropolitan area.

Comparing this trailer to the plot of The Wolverine seems very reductive. The tone here is very different. One was a stranger in a strange land/Japanese gangster action flick, the other seems to be a somber road trip/quest movie about aging and changing times a la The Last of Us or a lot of westerns.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to lie, that last shot where he's burying Xavier got to me.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about this, and indeed the whole state of the X-Men franchise, leaves me conflicted. Their timeline is a mess due to tonal and narrative conflicts, but at the same time stuff like Days of Future Past and Age of Apocalypse are cool ideas to bring to the screen. They are in a constant state of "fixing" the series and getting things back on track but that always comes with introducing more to needs fixing and retconning. Both the Wolverine movies were bad. In different ways and to different degrees but they were both bad movies and there is almost no reason to believe that the third time is the charm. Yet, this trailer gives me hope.

Part of me wonders if you could just set up a What If series that could take those familiar characters and put them in drastically different circumstances without having any connection to the core timeline? This could easily be a What If style standalone story where things got worse and now Logan is the last one or whatever. I get that the concern would be whether or not audiences would get the concept but I have to believe that it could be framed properly.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@takayamasama: The second Wolverine is interesting in that it sets itself up to be a bit more meditative than your average superhero movie, but when it comes time for the conclusion, it falls back on conventional tropes, which are that much more disappointing for being so out of place. I think it's good enough to watch but not good enough to pay for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who couldn't possibly care less for superhero stuff, this actually looks pretty good for what it is. I somewhat enjoyed the standalone Wolverine movie but I really just remember the beginning credits.

As far as timeline stuff? I really don't care. I'll settle for a good movie though.