New music thread (2018)

deltamind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sludgde is actually a very good album just gave it a try right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@soulcake: I tried listening to it and hated it. I don’t think Ive ever enjoyed a ”post-bm” record though. It all sounds so fucking boring, much like regular post-rock. I’m sure there’s good stuff out there I would enjoy, don’t wanna knock an entire subgenre, but.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farleyslundgren: I listen to a shit ton off post rock and my go to album i point people at, for people who would like to get into post rock is. Caspian "Dust and Disquiet". I totally get it if people don't get Deafheaven it's a sub genre of a all ready Special genre on it's own. But definitely check out Dust and Disquiet if your interested in checking out the Post Rock Scené.

msouza1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: I'm with you on the new Deafheaven album. I loved Sunbather and New Bermuda but I really can't get into this one. Comfortably their worst album.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: Thanks, I’ll check it out. I would really like to get into post-rock, just nothing has hooked me so far.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

After listening to the new DeafHeaven album a few times ( around 10 times) i can tell ya it's the worst one yet. Deafheaven kind of got a Eminem streak going on. Hope they pick them selfs up and get back to there roots. Still can't believe Pitchfork give it that high of a score, I know crying about scores is dumb, but still did they even listen to the album :D?

As far as I'm concerned Deafheaven only managed to make one good album.

armyofwires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Idles album is really good. Definitely a different vibe than Brutalism, but still rad.

Loading Video...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Between "I Love It" with Kanye and Lil Pump and Doja Cat's "Mooo!", like with people embedding videos instead of linking them, I just don't give a fuck anymore. Joke songs amuse me.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#160  Edited By Roomrunner

Here are a few words about all the stuff I've heard over the last few months:

Animal Collective - Tangerine Reef: This very much feels like an old school, pre-Sung Tongs Animal Collective release. Like their old stuff, the presumed lineup is anybody's guess (no Panda Bear on this release). I'm not sure if this is actually meant to be treated like a full LP, more of a compilation or soundtrack of sorts. Most like their old stuff, Tangerine Reef is a tough slog of.... sounds more really than songs. Not my bag. For those pining for the days of AC sounding more primal, this must feel like a treat. I listened to this only once and really don't have the patience to give it a second chance.

the pillows - Fool on Cool Generation: ANIME. Not really for me. But if i had to pick one anime it would prob be FLCL, because it tells a good short story, and features a whole lot of pillows songs! I don't know if FLCL S2 is great, bad, or more of the same just not as strong. If it's the third thing, then they made a fitting choice pulling from the pillows' 2002-2006 catalogue. Due to contracts, the band had to re-record their old songs for this compilation, so it is "new material", but not new music.

Kilo Kish - mothe: In 2016, Kish put out one of the most original and personally relatable albums I HAVE EVER HEARD, called Reflections in Real Time. It would be very hard to follow it up with anything, so I'm giving this EP a lot of leeway. Reflections was essentially one big existential freakout, and having been through one or two in my lifetime, what creatively tends to follow is a strong "fuck it" kind of feeling. That's what mothe delivers. Kish gets away from her own echo chamber and mostly makes a whole lot of fun computery beats here. A lot of art for art's sake vibes, and I am totally cool with that. The music video for Elegance really drives home the theme of "jumping out of my brain for a minute and letting go"

Eleanor Friedberger - Rebound: OK, some background... Eleanor and Matthew Friedberger are siblings that when working together created The Fiery Furnaces, a gonzo musical act that when they were in their prime was like... what time traveling sounds like. Super cool band. On their own, they just have never seemed to connect with me. Matthew is too artistic, making dozens of records with big ideas but no hooks. Eleanor's solo efforts have the opposite effect. Musically in tune, but songwriting that just bores me straight to sleep. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for being into this, it's well done stuff, just not for me. You might like it. It def has that retro, 60's songwriter vibe.

TsuShiMaMiRe - Night And Morning: This is one of my favorite bands. A trio that started out with a "cute infused punk rock" gimmick kept evolving and experimenting, and now have quite a versatile discography. Night And Morning is just a short EP that quite honestly doesn't take much risks, so probably won't leave that much of an impression on a new listener. If anything, this EP will be most remembered for giving us this wonderful super-low budget music video. Most of their discography is on Spotifty (except my fav album of theirs). Get into this weird, lovable band.

Ego Function Error - Ego Fun Show: Holy crap, discovery of the year for me. Found out about this band thru them touring with TsuShiMaMiRe, and listening to Ego Fun Show tells me how great of a fit they are on that bill. This album sounds like if TsuShi wanted to cover Shadowy Men on A Shadowy Planet songs and sing over them. What a cool mix of surf, psychedelic, garage rock, and pop this is. Digging into their discography has been a treat as well. They've got a fantastic power-pop debut album, and a surprisingly punchy punk rock single as well. Freakin great band.

Club 8 - Golden Island: While it's been a while since this duo has really hooked me, I really appreciate that almost every Club 8 album has a unique sound. Golden Island is like a Pure Moods album made in 2018. It's chill and easy to listen to.

Gorillaz - The Now Now: This doesn't even feel like a real album. It's just so... there. I don't know what to think of Gorillaz anymore. They're like Foo Fighters to me. I want to like them, the main guy is still cool, there are a few songs on each album that make me think like they've almost got it again.... but honestly, they've never come close to their first two albums, which feel like forever ago.

The Radio Dept. has a new single, called "Going Down Swinging". These very good new-wave dream-pop (but secretly punk rock) Swedish boys have put out one of their best anti-fascist ballads yet.

For more overt punk, Booji Boys have a new EP called Unknown Pleathers. This, and last year's LP, Weekend Rocker, is some of the best straight, no chaser punk you can get today.

I LOVE the new Santigoldrelease, I Don't Want. Apparently this is just a mixtape? Can't wait for her next full proper LP. Santigold is a national treasure.

Lairsis just Angus Andrew now, which is a shame. That run of records from S/T to Mess is pure fucking art. WIXIW especially rivals up there with Radiohead's best stuff IMO. Alas, the band has disintegrated, and Angus is being sad in his wedding dress, falling short of what Liars once was. The soundtrack to the film 1/1 was scored by Angus and the (at the time of recording) one last remaining member of Liars. It's being released now, so a nice little recollection of what once was, before Angus releases another solo Liars album in a few days.

And finally there is is new mini-album by チリヌルヲワカ. Once a side project of Yumi Nakashima, now her full time band. Yumi was in this killer band called GO!GO!7188. They were this rockabilly, surf, punk act that would have probably just been a short lived gimmick band if not for Yumi's poise and strong guitar work grounding it. In チリヌルヲワカ, unfortunately, there is no real creative counterbalance to Yumi's creative shortcomings. They've put out a few solid tunes here and there, but I'm still waiting for that one that floors me. This latest EP, Non-Fiction isn't it. It's solid. Not a skippable track on it. But that's what makes it so frustrating, that it's ok, not great, from a musician that I've heard make some damn great songs before. Oh well, maybe one day...

eazeapeazea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noname's debut album "Room 25" is really good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've been listening to Rivers of Nihil's latest release, Where Owls Know My Name. It's good stuff! The thing that I keep coming back to is the transition about 2:40 into this song. They go from a really heavy metal thing to a sort of bass-y, blues-y thing and then they launch into a saxophone solo. It's not particularly long, but I think it works really, really well, and I keep listening to that transition over and over. There's some other stuff like that in the album, but I wish there was more because when they're just doing metal I start to lose interest.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eazeapeazea: Noname's album is fantastic, had that on rotation all day yesterday

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Lupe Fiasco finally dropped DROGAS WAVE last night, and man, I haven't been blown away like that by an album in a long ass time.

Lupe truly shows why he is to be considered of the best in hip hop DOA. It's a long ass concept album which flows together incredibly well. Lupe is constantly hitting you with deep intricate lyrics and crazy acrobatic flows, and this album definitely has some of his best beats in a long time.

It is 1 hour and thirty long, so have only had the chance to listen twice, but this is better than anything else I can think of that came out this year.

If you are interested in one of the best lyrical rappers most interesting albums, where he for the first time in a long while had complete creative freedom, this is definitely it. Check it out!

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man that new Lupe album is so good. Been waiting forever for him to drop something (Drogas light doesn't count). I can't stop listening to it. For me up there with the best of his career for sure and by far the best album I've heard this year. Dude is at the top of his game and for me the best lyricist going.

MonkeyMitcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Has to be said but i'm loving the new brockhampton album iridescence, definitely their most experimental album but I think it pays off in some interesting ways.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is very late I know but KOD by J. Cole is amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Metric album and Aphex Twin EP are really enjoyable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Aphex EP was kind of a bummer to me. I came around on T69 Collapse after listening to it a couple of more times and was really excited to hear the rest of the tracks, but none of them have stuck with me at all. They just sound forgettable.

I’m surprised at the reception it has gotten because to me it’s not any more memorable than any of the previous EPs Richard has released in the past years. Hell I’d rather listen to his Soundcloud dump.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LSD - Thunderclouds is the first recent 'mainstream' pop track I've liked in a long time. I completely abandoned Sia after 2010, because I had no interest in the power ballads and poppy dance tracks she was doing (although I'm happy for the recognition she got for that amazing voice). But this single made me curious about the upcoming album, although I didn't really like the other two singles LSD released.

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double Negative by Low is one I’m enjoying. I haven’t listened to Low in a while so I also have been relistening to their old albums too.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Onemanarmyy
slo234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By slo234

I love listening to the sounds of nature, birds, water, fire..

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#176  Edited By Hadoken101

I've spent more time playing music this year than listening to it. I'll have to go through this thread and catch up on what I've missed. That being said, Stand Atlantic just released an album today and I absolutely love it. It feels like there's a lot of really awesome female fronted alt rock/pop punk bands coming out of Australia and it's great.

Trying to think of what other new stuff I've listened to this year. Death Cab's last album was really great, probably my favourite from them since Narrow Stairs; a relief because I really hated the single they released off of it but songs like Summer Years and Autumn Love are killer (particularly as a bassist).

(I don't know if it's kosher to do this but also my band released our first single earlier this year so you can listen to that I guess if you want)

timberbarrackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Fucked Up is really good. I appreciate the new directions they seem to have no problem wandering to within each song.

New Daughters album is weird in a great way. If you don't like them I doubt this will change anything. Less straight-forward rocking songs, a LOT more atmosphere. Groovy in their own way.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#178  Edited By Roomrunner

new stuff!

Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want: This is a criminally overlooked experimental noise-rock band from the mid aughts. If you love wild rambling and band that absolutely full force throw their guitars at you, their old stuff is up your alley. This reunion album is mostly different in a good way. As much as enjoyed this band for their chaos, they set a damn good atmosphere when they slow down.

Antarctigo Vespucci - Love in The Time of E-Mail: If I wasn't such a fan of Jeff Rosenstock and his charming comradeship with Chris Farren, I would have slipped off this album fast; but its starting to get its hooks into me. Farren has a talent for catchy tunes, but his 'self-centered charm' requires a little getting used to. If you want to get away from the real world and drown in some old Weezer style pop, this will be your new favorite thing.

Restorations - LP5000 : If you wanna stay woke and sad, Restorations has you. This whole album is like a musical version of the "we currently live in the shittiest dystopia" anecdote. A toned down album for this band, but a cool change of pace; and some real creative production choices.

Peter Bjorn & John - Darker Days: This is their second go at modern pop after totally shitting the bed with their last album. It doesn't hang with their best stuff, but this is a solid release thanks to some creative / dark songwriting and production quirks. Glad to see them kinda undo their mess here.

Elvis Costello - Look Now: His best since Momofuku. Nothing truly standout here, just a great performance of Costello playing it safe.

Hater - Siesta: I loved this band's debut LP, but this one strays from their winning formula. The emo and shoegaze kinda influences are mostly ignored for some really cheap sounding keyboard melodies and singing in high keys they get pretty annoying, especially with a near hour long running time!

Pram - Across The Meridian: Wow! This came out of nowhere. Pram is a French pop inspired band not too unlike Stereolab. They've been gone for a long time, and now are back with another weird moody film soundtrack sounding kinda release. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Metric - Art of Doubt: I haven't cared for a single thing this band has done since 2004's Live it Out. They've picked up their guitars again and banged out a damn good album. Emily's songwriting is still sometimes a bit too on the nose, or obsessed with rock star culture, but they've found the right tone again. "Dressed To Suppress" is probably.... the best song they've ever done?

Booji Boys - Unknown Pleathers: Just a short EP, but once you hear this hella old-school punk freakout band, you'll get why that's all they need to make their point.

the pillows - REBROADCAST: This kicks ass. Playing it safe, but not holding back on the power ballads. the pillows doing their formula very well here.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By cikame

I'm sure many of you are aware of it already, but League of Legends has its own pop group now.

Loading Video...

I'm... actually surprised at how good it is, i hate pop music, but as someone who listens to it all day every day at work this is leagues... better than most of the crap being played today.
I don't know how far they plan to take this, but it would be pretty crazy if it managed to leave the confines of the internet and get radio play.
13 Million views in 2/3 days is impressive.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Vulfpeck has put out a few new tracks on Youtube and Spotify that are pretty good.

Lost My Treble Long Ago

The Soft Parade

And a monster track with Louis Cole on drums: It Gets Funkier IV

If you've never heard Louis Cole, he's an absolutely bonkers good drummer. He is half the band KNOWER, which is fantastic.

He put out a new solo album this year, including this banger with Thundercat: Tunnels In The Air

But really, if you haven't heard KNOWER, you should. It's so good! This is my 2017 song of 2018 so far, the drums are INSANE: Overtime

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Greta Van Fleets new album is awesome. They sound like a new age led zeppelin.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: I tried listening to it and hated it. I don’t think Ive ever enjoyed a ”post-bm” record though. It all sounds so fucking boring, much like regular post-rock. I’m sure there’s good stuff out there I would enjoy, don’t wanna knock an entire subgenre, but.

This is like two months late (and I haven't read the whole thread) but I just wanted to mention 'Wavering Radiant' by Isis as an excellent post-rock/metal/whatever record.

I also find a lot of post-rock boring and predictable, but I genuinely love that album. Super duper recommend.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farleyslundgren said:

This is like two months late (and I haven't read the whole thread) but I just wanted to mention 'Wavering Radiant' by Isis as an excellent post-rock/metal/whatever record.

I also find a lot of post-rock boring and predictable, but I genuinely love that album. Super duper recommend.

I don't really know what post-rock is, but if it's anything like prog-rock you might like the latest album from Toska which came out a couple days ago.

Loading Video...
soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoubleCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I checked out that Daughters album and it's almost too good. It's a harsh listening experience so although I think it's excellent I'm not going to listen to it very often.

Revisited Unknown Mortal Orchestra's Sex & Food and I still think that is an excellent album but I love the first half more than the second. The backside of that album is very listenable but doesn't have as many gems.

JellyCube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New album by Muse just came out. There are some good stuffs here that sound just like the old Muse. Some of the new and experimental stuffs sound weird but I can see them growing on me. I really like Propaganda, it is definitely one of my favorites on the album even though it sounds kinda dumb. The album also comes with alternate versions of 5 songs, including The Dark Side, Something Human, and Dig Down.

The only songs that I don't like are Get Up and Fight, which is like a generic nu-metal sound from the last decade, and the original Dig Down. Dig Down's got an alternative gospel version that just sounds so much better, there's no "wub wub" in this version and the song has a more grandiose feeling to it. It's also fitting that this version of Dig Down is the last song on the album.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By soulcake

@doublecakes: Yeah i checked out that daughters album to but it's to "noisey" for me, but i am glad a Noise band / album is getting this much praise.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jellycube: There's a song on the new album that reminded me of "sing for absolution". Although i think i will never like new MUSE (anything after Black Holes and Revelations ) i am guessing this album will do incredibly well with the general public, And i enjoyed it more then "the 2de Law" wich was there worst album IMO.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

New album by Muse just came out. There are some good stuffs here that sound just like the old Muse. Some of the new and experimental stuffs sound weird but I can see them growing on me. I really like Propaganda, it is definitely one of my favorites on the album even though it sounds kinda dumb. The album also comes with alternate versions of 5 songs, including The Dark Side, Something Human, and Dig Down.

The only songs that I don't like are Get Up and Fight, which is like a generic nu-metal sound from the last decade, and the original Dig Down. Dig Down's got an alternative gospel version that just sounds so much better, there's no "wub wub" in this version and the song has a more grandiose feeling to it. It's also fitting that this version of Dig Down is the last song on the album.

On Google Play Music 10 of the sings have alternate versions!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: Not bad! I think I hear some pot-rock in there, during the slower parts.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Onemanarmyy

some random thoughts i had while listening to muse's new album:

Get up and Fight sort of gets me with it's cheesy powerballad feel, but then the female ah ah oh oh backing vocals ruin it a bit

Something Human is a very polished pop song but it keeps pushing that chorus at you. Give me a break, make that chorus a bit more powerful. Don't endlessly throw it at me, drowned in all those sound effects.

Break It To Me is quite something..

The Dark Side, i don't hate it.

Blockades sounds pretty much exactly like MK Ultra from their album Resistance but is a worse song. It's so similar! Not only instrumentally, but also the way the lyrics are delivered.

Thought Contagion is awful

i also listened to that Daughters album. It hits hard, it's done well, it's coherent, but i find it hard to enjoy myself with it. Ocean Song has a Protomartyr vibe.

Satan In The Wait, Less Sex & The Reason They Hate Me are the stand out songs for me. Hearing the other songs was alright. Exciting even. But i don't think i need to hear them ever again

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently Beyond Creation put out an album last month named "Algorythm" without my knowledge.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So Louis Cole put out a new video a bit ago. He does live versions of all his weird electronic funk songs. His live renditions are usually nuts but he cranked the crazy up a bit for this one. Stick with it until after the first bit. It goes places.

Loading Video...

Vulfpeck also released another song that will be off their upcoming album. It's a certified banger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrdsotPDrRg

Damenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will be no it ignored of course, that for silly questions

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Daughters album truly whips ass; glad and surprised to see so many people talking it up here.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

With threads like these, people tend to embed videos for others' convenience, which is admittedly nice, except that it makes pages slow to load and cumbersome to navigate. That's why there's always been a rule not to embed videos; providing a link should be more than enough.Thanks, everyone.

I've been listening to Julia Holter's latest album, Aviary. At 90 minutes, it may not be as accessible as her previous album, but I would still recommend it to anyone who've enjoyed her music, especially Loud City Song.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By YummyTreeSap

@militantfreudian said:

I've been listening to Julia Holter's latest album, Aviary. At 90 minutes, it may not be as accessible as her previous album, but I would still recommend it to anyone who've enjoyed her music, especially Loud City Song.

Julia Holter's so fucking good! Aviary hasn't quite hooked me like some of her others, but it's still really great and has some of my favorite songs of hers.

For anyone who might care, I've started compiling a list of albums I like from this year. It's in no order because I'm not going to rank things and Discogs doesn't have an autosort feature for who knows what reason, but here it is:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/2018-sucks-but-these-albums-dont/445455

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Onemanarmyy

i like Julia Holter a lot but Aviary was just a bit too out there for me. She sounds like Bjork on some of those songs though ,and that's a pretty exciting change.

The Daughters album felt like a very well made album. It hits hard, it's done well, it's coherent, but i found it hard to enjoy myself listening to most of it. Ocean Song has a very Protomartyr vibe. Satan In The Wait, Less Sex & The Reason They Hate Me are the stand out songs for me.

The one album that blew me away from out of nowhere is Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Wasteland (2018). it's very catchy & melodic, with gravelly vocals and big guitar riffs straight from the 70's. Some psychedelica as well. I See Through You is the song that will tell you whether you will like this album or not.

Damenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are your albums on soundcloud? If so, throw them a link

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Stretching the definition of "new", but (C)Hip Tanaka's first album just had it's one year anniversary and it's dope. Check it out.

Loading Video...