New Star Wars trilogy (and live-action TV show) coming out!

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nicksmi56

Written and directed by Rian Johnson, who directed Last Jedi.

According to statements, this trilogy is going to be totally separate from the Skywalker story and "introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

What do you guys think? Yay or nay?

Personally, I've always been more interested in the main numbered episodes than spin-offs, so I'm more curious than anything else until we see exactly where the story is going.

No interest in the TV show since that'll probably be locked behind Disney's new streaming service.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Boo, thats like 10 years of his film career gone.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh cool new Star Wars every 3 months.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rian Johnson is an amazing director and this proves Disney's confidence in The Last Jedi.

This is also just...what star wars needs. We can't keep relying on the same locations, plot points, and characters forever. This new trilogy sounds exciting as hell. It's actually going to be something new AND from an awesome filmmaker. Plenty of reason to be hype

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I dunno, I really like Star Wars but I would never say that I love the franchise. This sounds like Disney is just going to put me on Star Wars overload.

Alternatively, if Disney actually gives Rian Johnson enough freedom to make something actually different and weird and interesting and a clash with the rest of the Star Wars universe, I might wind up being very interested.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oh great. At least one Star Wars movie every year until the end of time...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Barrock

Glad to hear it's all new characters/locations etc.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Run it into the ground Disney, brilliant plan.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As both a Star Wars fan and Disney stock holder, this pleases me.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrostyRyan

@liquiddragon said:

"gone" in this case meaning "willingly being a major player in the most popular and culturally significant american movie franchise ever"

Yeah I'm sure he's super bummed about that.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Letter Media was right after all.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope I never get as jaded as ya'll. I love Star Wars and I think Rian Johnson is a swell director so I'm all for this. Star Wars never went away, but now that it's back in the main culture it's all "oh boy Star Wars *hand wank motion*" as if people are too good for some Wars.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 58

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I hope everyone is excited about the prospect of new Star Wars movie(s) every year for the rest of your life.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

@samfo said:

I hope everyone is excited about the prospect of new Star Wars movie(s) every year for the rest of your life.

Ok are we just gonna keep getting this comment over and over again

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for exploring more of the Star Wars universe, I liked a lot of the previous extended universe stuff, but if this means we pretty much get yearly(or god even twice a year) movies...I'm gonna get burnt out pretty fast. I'm a big comic book guy and I've already reached the point where I just have no desire to see the Marvel movies anymore, if Disney applies a similar schedule to Star Wars....no thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@liquiddragon said:

First thing I thought of. What a colossal bummer.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of cynicism here, and I totally get it. But I'm mostly on board, not as invested in star wars as I used to be but they are fun movies (aside from the prequels and Rogue One). 5 movies from now I might be completely done and hate Star Wars, but until then bring it on I guess. Disney having control over so many franchises is definitely troubling though.

@kblosnack I mean, it doesn't take a genius to see that Disney wasn't going to stop making these. RLM just pointed out the obvious.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:
@liquiddragon said:

He's "developing" a new trilogy, but only writing and directing the first one it seems.

Also, did people really think Disney would just make three more movies and stop? They paid four fucking billion dollars for the privilege of making Star Wars movies, honestly it's not shocking to me that Disney will continue to make Star Wars movies beyond 2020, it's shocking to me that anyone would expect anything otherwise. Yeah, they're going to be releasing a Star Wars movie each year for a very long time, what the hell else did you expect?

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: The dirty secret of the Star Wars universe is that it isn't this wide expanse of possibilities. It was created to tell a very specific set of stories and that's what it does well and everything else is a considerable tide of meh.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Solh0und

Good News: It has nothing to do with the Skywalker saga

Bad(?) news: We have to cross our fingers to hope it isn't a bunch of hogwash.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

That sounds like what I wanted out of this current trilogy to be honest. Something new and different and unrelated to the George Lucas trilogies, and that's itself self-contained.

Also why's it always gotta be a trilogy. Why not make a duology, or a tetralogy. Fuckin 4 Star Wars trilogies.

Not really interested in a TV show, unless it's like the Tartakovsky cartoon. It isn't, so I ain't.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By stonyman65

I'm down. I love Star Wars so as long as its good work I'll support it, especially if they delve deeper into some of the wierder EU stuff.

One of my big issues with Star Wars after the original trilogy, specifically the prequel trilogy and everything that came with it, was that they managed to make a huge universe seem small by having key characters all know each other and every other important thing being connected with something else. Getting away from that by exploring new things that have nothing to do with the Skywalker saga is a big step in the right direction of fleshing out the Star Wars universe, not just people and events that all have something to do with a dozen or so main characters which the entire world revolves around.

Edit: Hey, Disney paid $4 billion for the Star Wars franchise rights so they are going to do everything they can to make that back and probaly twice that much more. Don't expect the Star Wars train to slow down anytime soon. Choo choo motherfuckers!

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@liquiddragon said:

It could also put him in a strong financial and critical position to make the films he wants to make in between installments in this series, like Christopher Nolan had with his Batman trilogy. While making that trilogy, Nolan was also able to make The Prestige and Inception, while quickly following the trilogy with Interstellar, all over a 10 year period. Well, 9 years.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheRealTurk  Online

Written and directed by Rian Johnson, who directed Last Jedi.

According to statements, this trilogy is going to be totally separate from the Skywalker story and "introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

What do you guys think? Yay or nay?

Personally, I've always been more interested in the main numbered episodes than spin-offs, so I'm more curious than anything else until we see exactly where the story is going.

No interest in the TV show since that'll probably be locked behind Disney's new streaming service.

Seeing as how we're moving rapidly toward a One Disney Universe singularity, I won't be shocked if these "new characters" include the Avengers, that the Sith are retconned as a Hydra offshoot, and and we find out that the crystals powering lightsabers are actually Infinity Stones.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

@samfo said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Well there is no like or "I agree" button on these forums so yeah.

@dgtlty said:
@liquiddragon said:

He's "developing" a new trilogy, but only writing and directing the first one it seems.

Also, did people really think Disney would just make three more movies and stop? They paid four fucking billion dollars for the privilege of making Star Wars movies, honestly it's not shocking to me that Disney will continue to make Star Wars movies beyond 2020, it's shocking to me that anyone would expect anything otherwise. Yeah, they're going to be releasing a Star Wars movie each year for a very long time, what the hell else did you expect?

I and lots of people expected exactly this and now we are going to be snarky about it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

@viking_funeral: There is no breathing room with the pace Star Wars movies are coming out but if he's not directing all of them, hopefully he can devote some time to side projects.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll reserve judgement until this next movie comes out, but I have my doubts.

You know what would be nice though? An entire trilogy with no goddamn jedi as main characters. If it's another trilogy of a young force user learning to control their power, ugh.

TV sci-fi is always way more low budget than it should be. Making straight fantasy or sci-fi tv shows that actually look good, much less up to the standards of the Star Wars films, is going to cost more money than they're willing to fork out. Not to mention it's going to be full unbearable fan service and references just like the cgi shows were. I hope everyone is ready for all their favourite star wars characters to show up for a guest appearance.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

@samfo said:

@arbitrarywater said:

The irony here is pretty good.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who always thought the Star Wars universe was interesting but the movies all kind of suck, i'm indifferent towards this. I'm curious to see where the TV shows goes though. Hopefully the characters arent all cardboard cut outs and the plot has some depth to it.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By RobertOrri

@cmblasko said:

@samfo said:

@arbitrarywater said:

We're gonna keep getting this comment over and over again just like how Disney is going to keep releasing more Star Wars stuff that's actually the same over and over again. It'll be a glorious cycle of regurgitation.

No one will escape.

heyooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By heyooo

Oh god, just end me now. Hearing people not shut up and competely over hype the new trilogy/films (which so far have been nothing but okayish) has been bad enough, but having to endure it for the next 10 years is going to be even worse.

In fact, if blockbuster cinema is just going to be Star Wars and Marvel films from now until the end of time, I'm officially read to check out.

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Hopefully we'll get the Hohass Ekwesh movie that we've all been waiting for...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the same fatigue that strikes game franchises will hit the movies next? Are they ... recycling the same production staff for these films? I can't imagine they do. The audience will drop off but, marketed right, they'll just get in some new faces.

Disney's animated features didn't use to be this prolific

You'll notice at the turn of this century, it goes full conveyor belt.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing about this seems like good news. Disney is running everything to the ground.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... Oi oi oi oi. And this in the voice of a stereotypical, disappointed Italian guy. My apologies to the disappointed, stereotypical Italian guys of the world, but this seemed appropriate. (Eh, it's okaaay!)

I blame Mario.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

3 years ago I would have been completely on board. Now... not so much. Even though I really liked Rogue One and thought it did a lot of things right and felt like a more original story than TFA, it still lacks any magical feeling for me. Maybe it's an age thing, but I feel we're definitely in a bit of a rough start with Star Wars content. Everything from the games, movies, TV shows, and new comics has this "okay" feeling to it like they're being reigned in with what sort of content they're allowed to portray and nothing new or fresh is being being made. It's the same regurgitated scenes and imagery so far.

Even if this new trilogy pulls a fast one on us and introduces "grey" jedi or that Rey is going to end up as a Sith or whatever else people are theorizing from minute long trailers seems so boring. "Grey" Jedi are just a lazy observation of "realistic morals" and Rey being a Sith is something a 12 year old could have thought up after seeing Return of the Jedi and wondering what would happen if Luke did turn to the dark side.

I'm sure many agree, the ancient history of Star Wars is ripe for new stories and characters. Let's explore times when the concepts of Jedi and Sith didn't exist yet and what led to the divide, which we probably will see in The Last Jedi, but I already know it's going to be a 2-minute long exposition scene from Luke just reading off a book. Bonus points if they introduce new characters have absolutely no affiliation with the Skywalkers, Kenobis, Fetts, or Hutts. Something more interesting would be exploring more of the criminal world with bounty hunters and smugglers, there's some great drama and world building that can be done with this. There's all this potential and yet it feels like there's all these corporate road blocks in place that keep creative stories from coming up and it just makes me depressed knowing that we're more likely just going to get the same drivel until the brand dies.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch out for my hot take yall. If they are good, then I think this is good, if they are not good, then I think this is not good.

I'm not in a place in my life where I'm all too bothered about this type of stuff anymore. If they look worth watching I will, if they don't I wont. They could release 20 a month, I don't care, it doesn't bother me, it's pointless being bothered by movies.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Whether or not they run it into the ground, it doesn't take away from how great the series has been so far.

LittleIndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers