New Terminator trailer is baffling and confusing.

• 95 results
Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Spoiler alert, I guess, because this trailer has something in it that really shouldn't be in a trailer.

I have no idea what is even going on anymore with this movie. Old-Arnie bot fights Young-Arnie bot, Liquid Terminator is in there somewhere and John Connor goes full NANOMACHINES,SON on us. Kyle Reese is not the Kyle Reese I know, and this has to be the 4th actor to play adult Connor at this point, which might make a stupid kind of sense if you think about how every Terminator sequel has introduced more and more timelines.This reads like fan-fiction.

I don't think this movie is going to be very good, but who knows. I am actually curious to know what else they're going to do, seeing as the whole thing now seems to be set on just jumping through the entire Terminator timeline.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

Cannot wait for Dan to pull of some stunning mental gymnastics to convince himself this is a good movie.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks good to me.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Spoiler alert, I guess, because this trailer has something in it that really shouldn't be in a trailer.

The nukes?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

@adequatelyprepared said:

The nukes?

I was thinking more about the whole JAHN CANNAH is evil angle.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen any Terminator movies, so I guess I don't have the same information as everyone else, but how is something revealed in the trailer being considered a massive spoiler? I get that a good guy is a bad guy now, but nobody's seen the movie. It could be part of the basic premise and happen in the first five minutes. I dunno I guess!

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is that this movie wasn't generating enough interest so they cut a trailer with a big spoiler in it to get people talking about it again. Which seems to have worked.

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rcath

This looks....AWESOME!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Cirdain
No Caption Provided

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain: Took me a minute. Then laughter happened. Also, I agree.

Yeah, I dunno. That movie looks weird and I bet it won't be good. I still have to see it, though.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Well, I wasn't interested in the movie before, so their marketing worked.

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

A twist like THAT shouldn't be in a trailer.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Had no clue Hideo Kojima left Konami to direct the new Terminator film.

I for one can't get behind this film cause Jai Courtney is freakin terrible. I still blame him for Die Hard 5.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Why does everything about this movie sound like bad fan-fiction?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That sure was baffling.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Still looks like fan film. Also SPOILERS!!!

sanderjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This trailer explains the story much better.

Auralnauts are doing some awesome work.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I for one can't get behind this film cause Jai Courtney is freakin terrible. I still blame him for Die Hard 5.

Don't. Die Hard 5 would've been a fucking mess with or without him. He was honestly like the least of that film's issues. I really wish he wasn't in this, though.

I'm going to see it regardless of how it turns out. I can't believe they would spoil a huge twist in the trailer like this. Perhaps there's an even bigger twist they're hiding with this one, but I don't know if I should give the writers that much credit just yet.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing bad about this is Jai Courtney, he is terrible indeed.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me the actress from Game of Thrones as Sarah Connor is weird too.

I'm not watching this. I wasn't going to watch T4 either, but someone played it while I lived with them. It was one of the worst big budget movies I've ever seen and T5 looks no better. It looks desperate for past glories.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21 fisk0  Moderator

@sanderjk said:
Loading Video...

This trailer explains the story much better.

Auralnauts are doing some awesome work.

... I'm kinda excited to see this now. This along with that official trailer are both dumb in some kinda amazing ways.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ezekiel said:
@i_stay_puft said:

To me the actress from Game of Thrones as Sarah Connor is weird too.

I'm not watching this. I wasn't going to watch T4 either, but someone played it while I lived with them. It was one of the worst big budget movies I've ever seen and T5 looks no better. It looks desperate for past glories.

Rewatched the trailer an Kyle Reese and Sarah Connors do have a dilemma on their hands. If they bone they'll create John Connors which sets up this movie along with all the sequels. If they don't do the thing then John isn't born, Skynet takes over and no 5th movie is made.

That's some heavy handed decision making right there. As much as I love the second film I'd probably rather not have John conceived in order to save humanity from the fifth film.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chrissedoff

I'm usually not an anal-retentive nerd but every Terminator-related thing to happen after T2 is just further disgracing the Terminator name. Judgment Day wrapped up the Terminator story perfectly. There was no reason to revisit that property (besides money, of course) and by doing so, they basically erased the second movie from the canonical story, which is annoying. The more you like the Terminator series, the less you should want to see this stupid movie.

And since I'm indulging in a little nerdy ranting already: they did Highlander the same way. When you've got a good ending, for God's sake, leave it alone!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mmmmeh. I could be surprised but this probably won't be good. I'll most likely half pay attention to it when it's on Netflix.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Looks ok, Terminator hasn't been good since 2 so I'm not surprised that this doesn't look good either. Interesting idea but the execution looks terrible from the trailer. Regardless of John deciding to go with nanomachines....why would he go back in time to (assuming) kill his mom? Is it a indoctrination thing like the illusive man or some shit? I know terminator is a lot of "don't think about it too much otherwise it falls apart" type stuff but this is stretching it for me...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm optimistic. I have no reason why.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I want to see this. I want to see if they can make sense out of whatever the fuck this plot is or if it's really as ridiculous and dumb as most of the posters here seem to think - in which case I'll probably think it's OK anyway.

But then I'm in the camp that thinks Terminator 3 is an OK movie. Sue me. It's not anywhere near as good as 1 or 2 - what is? - but I still think it's a decent enough action movie.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By TheHT

Fuck it man, that looked great!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gundogan

What? I... what?! Whatever. It might become dumb fun if they keep adding more BS I guess. They should add Robert Patrick just to be sure. The Bittersweet Life guy as T1000 is cool though.

(And I too think T3 is an enjoyable movie btw. Salvation was boring and 1 and 2 are fantastic of course.)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

John Connors dad looks like Billy Eichner.

And what the fuck is this movie, I don't find the terminator movies to have ever been great, they were always there, and culturally important, but not mind blowing. I don't see why they need to stretch the franchise so thin.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ripelivejam

Behold trailers that basically play like mini versions of the movie!

Man salvation coukd have been good. Seems like a no brainer to do a decent movie set during the future wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No need to watch the movie now that i've seen the trailer. There would have been a decent twist if it wasn't spoiled lol.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I never got the whole point of "we gotta go back to save the present." Isn't it better to try and restore the present than to go back in time and then god only knows what is going to happen? Like it might not even impact your timeline. Obviously this is delving into the stupidest of movie mechanics, time travel, but still..

Also I agree that this should not have been in the trailer, but I think they saw the super negative reaction after the first one and realized they need to show a little more to get people into those seats. I mean I know I'm a lot more interested in this now than I was when I saw the first trailer and thought how little I want to do with the whole thing.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's nothing baffling about the premise. What's baffling is that they'd give it away in a fucking trailer.

But it's Terminator so it will still be good. Great, even. Shut up.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By theacidskull

Never much cared for the franchise, I just really like Arnold. This will probably be a fun popcorn flick to watch with some friends.

FeverChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the TV Series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles". That's the only thing after T2 I cared for, I wish the movie would have been a continuation from that.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesecondagent: No kidding! I feel like I've seen all the bits now that would have made the movie even partially worthwhile. That twist would have been a really nice surprise had they not shown it in the eff'ing trailer.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Terminator 1 and 2 but none of these trailers for Genisys are doing anything for me.

Zero interest in seeing this.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this looks like absolute shit.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I never got the whole point of "we gotta go back to save the present." Isn't it better to try and restore the present than to go back in time and then god only knows what is going to happen? Like it might not even impact your timeline. Obviously this is delving into the stupidest of movie mechanics, time travel, but still..

Also I agree that this should not have been in the trailer, but I think they saw the super negative reaction after the first one and realized they need to show a little more to get people into those seats. I mean I know I'm a lot more interested in this now than I was when I saw the first trailer and thought how little I want to do with the whole thing.

Isn't the present already saved in T1-3 and I guess in this one too (as in John Connor and the humans already won the war) and that's why Skynet is sending back Terminators to 'cheat'? And I believe Terminator is like a one timeline type of thing, so the 'past' between the movie and the point where they send someone back in time (and further I guess like Back to the Future?) can be rewritten with no creation of an alternate timeline?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@gundogan: Well once again, this is ridiculous time travel nonsense, but how does that even work? Like you send someone back, they succeed.. so.. you technically stop existing right? If the past does directly impact the present. I would be like, uh fuck that guys I rather keep existing and just fight these stupid robots now.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gundogan

@humanity said:

@gundogan: Well once again, this is ridiculous time travel nonsense, but how does that even work? Like you send someone back, they succeed.. so.. you technically stop existing right? If the past does directly impact the present. I would be like, uh fuck that guys I rather keep existing and just fight these stupid robots now.

Yea but Skynet sends a Terminator back, kills John Connor and blam! War lost since no more John Connor ever, Skynet wins forever and it cannot be undone. So I guess you always want to go back if Skynet sends a robot back. Rest is just Looper logic of 'don't think about it and enjoy the show' I guess. Maybe there's some additional content that explains it, but the movies and series never really did that I think.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Terminator films are so far removed from the awesome first film now that they shouldn't even be using the name anymore.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The big issue the film faces (seemingly) is explaining to fans and even people mildly familiar with the story that the timeline has changed.

Those 'bloody' Conners and Skynet kept sending people and machines back in a chess game of anticipated move and counter move. They keep changing the timeline. So now everything you/we/they knew - well it didn't really happen or won't happen.

That is not a hard concept to grasp, but I think some fans still won't get it. The timeline is gone: it never happened - it will happen different - something new will happen. Thus, there is no 'canonical' knowledge for this series anymore. What fans know of the first few movies now can only act as reference point for what DID or DIDN'T happen now or in the future. The interesting thing about that is will be any appearance of a 'Terminator' of any model cannot be construed as it being on one side or another until they act.

I have no clue if the movies will be good, or teh story will be good, or if the actors will do a good job with either or both. I have no clue. But, at least the series is doing something. If I had my preference I would have gone down the road the TV shows was going towards, the last few episodes of that show were rather intertonguing. Also, I rather liked having Chamron T-900 female character and that T-888 (Cromarty) since there were a bit more interesting as robots...with more personality and plasticity (can change from experience) of thinking. But that seems like it won't be used...so oh well.

Kane_233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie officially makes no sense now.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CptBedlam

@humanity: Don't think about it too much.

@onekillwonder_ said:

I'm going to see it regardless of how it turns out. I can't believe they would spoil a huge twist in the trailer like this. Perhaps there's an even bigger twist they're hiding with this one, but I don't know if I should give the writers that much credit just yet.

Good John Connor, who is now a bad guy, is actually a good guy in the end because feels. Most predictable double-twist in a movie ever. You heard it here first, folks.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whose bright idea was it to make each movie about some new substance to make terminators out of? Yes, it worked for 2 because it was a huge surprise and looked fucking awesome at the time. Now it's just ridiculous. We've done robot, liquid robot, half liquid robot (fuck 3,) half-human half-robot and now apparently powder robot. I really hope they get together and go full-Voltron on us in this movie.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean at least they're going for it. Of course they could have just made a good movie, but that's not gonna happen in a million years, so I guess this is an ok alternative? I dunno, will probably be watching this in 5 years time on cable.