North Korea tests out Hydrogen bomb. Are you ready?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin
ClockworkTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ClockworkTony

This is insane. It's something that you read about in history textbooks, not something you expect to happen within your lifetime.

We should've followed Vinny's lead.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

My bunker is ready.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well, great. It's hard to be excited about P5 coming this year now, huh?

Deploying "la la la, I can't hear you" initiative in 3... 2... 1...

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hold on, let me get my power armor. #videogames

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Mcfart

They're doing it for deterrence.

They have no intention of attacking anyone. Their only realistic target is South Korea, and they are backed by literally everyone.

They saw what the US did to the Middle East, and know that they'd have already been wiped out if they didn't have nuclear weapons.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

I wouldn't say I'm particularly ready for once they have a hydrogen bomb and the capability to place it on a long-range missile, but for the moment, that still seems unlikely.

North Korea has said it was a hydrogen bomb test. That remains to be seen. I am a bit doubtful at the moment. In 2013 they tested an atomic bomb which created a 5.1 magnitude earthquake. Now, in 2016, they tested a "hydrogen bomb" which created a... 5.1 magnitude earthquake(as initially reported).

The technological sophistication of a hydrogen bomb has been believed to be out of North Korea's grasp, and the explosive potential of a fusion-focused hydrogen bomb is multitudes greater than a traditional fission-focused atomic bomb. You're basically using an atomic bomb to ignite an even bigger, more complex bomb. So far, until they release data from the test(and even then), there is decent reason to believe it being a so-called hydrogen bomb is a glossing up of a possibly larger atomic bomb.

Obviously it's still concerning either way, but I'd say there's big room for skepticism right now. We should wait to hear non-North Korean government confirmation on whether this was truly a successful hydrogen bomb test or simply another atomic bomb test like the previous ones.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As Truth stated, most watchers are pretty sure it's not a real Hydrogen bomb.

And even if it were, my reaction would be a shrug. They've had nukes for about a decade. Having slightly larger nukes doesn't change the overall strategic picture very much.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

North Korea isn't gonna do shit but that won't stop presidential candidates from using this opportunity to do some good old fashioned fear mongering.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NK knows full well that the UK, the US, and Russia stand behind SK, which would be the primary target if there was an attack. Those three combined have 22 carriers and 130+ submarines. Going off Wikipedia, the US has 14 subs in its fleet currently active with 24 Trident II ICBMs each. The UK has 4 in service containing 16 each. Within the last couple of years Russia has successfully fired a handful of submarine-based ICBMs, but their numbers are more difficult to find.

North Korea's fleet and military capabilities are remarkably substantial for a country so comparatively small, but it's still a very tiny dog yapping in its yard. I do feel for South Koreans though; I can only imagine how stressful it is living that close to a country run by a manipulative egomaniac. Retaliatory deterrence is a poor comfort.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Russia is a bigger threat than the dprk. But Russia is a threat to the rest of Europe and the middle east and the dprk is a threat to asia. Nukes don't matter. Mutually assured destruction and all that. Or was that from peace walker. ..

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Additional Note:

The last North Korean atomic bomb test in 2013 yielded an explosion of around 9 kilotons.

The first US hydrogen bomb test ever in 1952 yielded an explosion of 10400 kilotons, or 10.4 megatons.

That's over a 1000 times stronger, and yet, the current signatures for this "hydrogen" explosion appear to be comparable to the last test. Obviously we won't know for sure for a while(maybe they covered up the impact somehow. Not sure why though when their point is to inspire fear and respect), but having doubts at their claim is reasonable.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They barely have enough range to get to South Korea. They've got more chance using it on one of their dissidents.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I say this each & every time, but they never should've sacked MacArthur

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They are doing it for deterrence and also to grand stand. Not that I am advocating ignoring North Korea, but they are more a danger to themselves than to anyone else.

Well, to themselves and South Korea. If they did attack, they would likely wreck South Korea before the swift, brutal dropkick the US would give (hell, probably with China's help). Especially if they used a nuclear weapon, which I actually can see them doing if it's South Korea.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

takayamasama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who used to work in intelligence while in the Navy under NSA guys, focusing on the Asian Pacific, let me just say: I am not worried a tiny bit.

That is all.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scariest thing is if North Korea decides to go bananas and destabilize the area by throwing a bomb somewhere nearby and making our elections revolve around bullshit more than they already are. It won't happen but that's how you get a warmonger that trump wants to be or appears to be elected.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rethla
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet said:

They are doing it for deterrence and also to grand stand. Not that I am advocating ignoring North Korea, but they are more a danger to themselves than to anyone else.

Well, to themselves and South Korea. If they did attack, they would likely wreck South Korea before the swift, brutal dropkick the US would give (hell, probably with China's help). Especially if they used a nuclear weapon, which I actually can see them doing if it's South Korea.

They'd never do that.

Even if they killed some South Koreans, the SK soldiers patrolling the DMZ would invade and occupy Pingyomyang before the US even has time to respond.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The perfect mix of clickbait and fear mongering.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think we need to send Drew back in.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

North Korea is no threat to anyone but their own citizens. They're not going to nuke South Korea, they just want the weapons to grand stand. It's not even a deterrence as no one will ever invade them. The US doesn't want a unified Korea because then a close ally would have a land border with China and nobody wants that grief. Better to have a shitty country separating the two.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I detonated a methane bomb about 20 minutes ago. Its still reeking havoc on my family.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep in mind it's North Korea stating that North Korea successfully tested a hydrogen bomb.

Yesiamaduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jrm said:

Keep in mind it's North Korea stating that North Korea successfully tested a hydrogen bomb.

And?

Are you implying that they're lying?!?! Next thing you'll be telling me North Korea didn't make it to the world cup final in 2014

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been ready for the end since the beginning.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, but we have a Giant Bomb and Russia has a Game Bomb. Plus we have an operative who has spent many hours in Tactical Espionage training *and* has both infiltrated and exfiltrated NK before. Now, I'm no professional warsman, but I think that beats a highly suspect "hydrogen bomb" any day.

(good god, this post has probably just triggered so many watchlist keywords)

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Don't forget that nuclear weapons are much more dangerous than the initial explosion. NK might be insane, but I doubt they are insane enough to declare themselves winners sitting in a could of their own fallout. We just have to hope that the world either realises nukes generally are bad for everyone or that Cold War logic prevails.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By qrdl
@beforet said:

Exactly. I have a strong feeling that if there was ever a real danger of NK flipping out, it would suddenly occur that China is not entirely fine with an unpredictable neighbor with nuclear weapons. I wouldn't place the slightest bit of trust in that alliance.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

North Korea is just puffing up. They won't do anything. Mainly because they depend on foreign aid too much. I'm not advocating ignoring them. Bomb's are dangerous on any scale, but this kind of muscle flexing just continues to show how insecure Kim Jong Un is.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Not an issue. Bombs are bombs. That's the dirty secrete of nukes....they are just concentrated bombs. The West and East were setting off a nuke every few years for over a decade in the last century. We have set off 100x as many nukes in test than have bee used in war. Are we all dead? Are we all irradiated to mutants? Is the sky falling? nope...

Anyone setting off a nuke in London, New York, Paris, or Bejing would not even change the direction of history one bit. Nukes kill a few quickly, a few slowly and its all very handleable, so unless you set off a few dozen huge ones that put too much dust in the air its okay. A one big volcano would kick up more atmospheric dust...nukes are small time events globally speaking. Life is robust, humans are robust. Ionizing radiation kills you but unless you get a huge quick dose you have years of life. Yeah, sure, when you die its cancer and it hurts. But a lot of death is painful, being 100 is painful

The end of the world isn't a few cities getting nuked. Nuking 150 major cities...well that starts to be a problem. Don't sweat a nuke going off unless you live within 500 miles of it.

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: SK/NK are basically in a MAD scenario. Pyongyang and Seoul would be smoking craters within a few hours of any war breaking out.

We don't get to see the internal politics inside of the DPRK, but this announcement is possibly because of some internal power struggle or a means for someone to consolidate power further.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

First of all I don't think it'a real hydrogen bomb either and it's just North Korea trying to seem "strong" again. I think it's really just them trying to push everyone's buttons and make this into a new "cold war".

Also they can't realistically try to attack anyone since they would just get wiped off the fucking map immediately (and they know it). Yes, they have a big military numbers wise, but all their tech is terrible and they are just a way to small country to do anything whatsoever.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm ready. Give me the apocalypse! Give me Fallout!

Beats paying Student Loans for the rest of my life. :P

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nukes are a disgusting and horrible creation. The United States has hydrogen bombs too....we horde nuclear bombs like they're old baseball cards. The US saying we can have all of this destruction at our fingertips but North Korea can't have anything is kind of fucked up. Let me be clear about this, I think no one should have nuclear weapons. I wish we could wipe them from the planet MGSV style but since we live in a world where there are thousands of them I think North Korea is just keeping up with the times.

@monkeyking1969: I find your argument terrifyingly unsympathetic. Are you joking? Nuking even one city is horrendous in an unimaginable way. Hiroshima is probably one of the worst things in human history. 140,000 people died in that single bombing. That's peoples parents, children, grandparents, friends, coworkers, etc. Imagine that kind of void. Hell, 10s of people died in the Boston Marathon bombing and that's also a horrible horrible terrible thing.

If we can still afford not to look at this in a "as long as humanity survives" way and think of life as something sacred we should. Death is very personal. Always sweat a nuke going off. Even for testing.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ibarguengoytia
@kasaioni said:

Hold on, let me get my power armor. #videogames

I was thinking something similar; Fallout is a training simulator not a videogame!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By doctordonkey
No Caption Provided

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@doctordonkey: Hahaha, that's great. Seriously, North Korea is more likely to accidentally blow themselves up than anything. They just like to pretend they're important and feared, but the only people who believe that are North Korean citizens who don't have the choice not to.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I bet 99% of the NK leadership's time each day is devoted to keeping the regime together until next morning.

They'll never use it - nor get the opportunity to. Still got my money on the regime collapsing within my lifetime.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Our dear leader is outraged at the announced price for the Oculus Rift. Now the American pig dogs will suffer the consequences.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sweetz

North Korea lives by providence of China keeping them as a dog on a leash.

The crazier North Korea gets and the more that China cares about economic power over military power, the more China distances themselves and the greater the chance that North Korea will find itself on its own - and that's very bad for them and also scary. For one, it will be an absolute disaster for the already downtrodden people that live there and that really sucks. However, more worrisome is that when they start falling apart, keeping track of where the nukes and nuclear material they do have ends up could prove troublesome.