NRA president blames video games for mass shootings

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Matterless

So... NRA president Wayne LaPierre just held a press conference in which video games were, in part, blamed for the Sandy Hook massacre. Games "with names like 'BulletStorm'... and 'Mortal Kombat.'"

I'll leave aside my own political views and relegate this thread to just the video game portion, despite the fact that this was the most insane press conference I have ever seen. No questions were taken. And everything from "gun-free school zones" to "music videos" was blamed. I will post the full video as I find one I can embed. Unitil then, you can watch this shitshow here: www.c-span.org/Events/NRA-News-Conference-in-Response-to-Newtown-CT-Shooting/10737436772-1/

But yeah, in an unexpected twist, the NRA is coming for your violent video games.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I thought it couldn't get any crazy and then he went straight 1980's, anti-Twisted Sister by blaming music videos. Fucking hilarious. What a joke. It took them a whole week to come up with the idea that everyone was joking they'd have, and they took the time to blame everything else? Great.

Here's a link to a live blog.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sanity

Honestly, i agree with just about everything besides the video games/music thing. And fact is its just a headline grabber, sorry but you cant stand to protect peoples rights and then take them away on other things. I think he meant that kids shouldn't be playing them more then anything though.

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Oh dip, the NRA is run by a bunch of stupid fucks? I'm shocked.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MariachiMacabre

The NRA continues to be completely full of shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah Mortal Kombat did the gun violence.

Scorpion pulls out that Tec-9 and says "get over here".

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Matterless

@Brodehouse: Harpoon and fireball control now!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By golguin

I just heard the news. I guess I was being naive to think anything intelligent would come out of the NRA. Let's starting banning video games and music you guys.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Ghostiet

@Brodehouse said:

That's a twist on the franchise I might get behind, actually.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By falling_fast

he would say that. anything to distract the media from the gun issue.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm

@Brodehouse said:

Yeah Mortal Kombat did the gun violence. Scorpion pulls out that Tec-9 and says "get over here".

Gat over here.

Yeah, I agree with everybody in this thread. Nonsense dillicky.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Perfect response from contributing editor to Vanity Fair Kurt Eichenwald: "The people bemoaning movie violence as a cause of slaughters are same ones using movie fantasies to describe how shooters could be stopped."

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow

"Guns don't kill people, fictional video game characters do."

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@SeriouslyNow

"Guns don't kill people, fictional video game characters do."

And music videos. Because people still watch those.
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

@Degringolade said:

@Brodehouse: Harpoon and fireball control now!

That's bullshit. What we need to do is identify unstable individuals before they even get access to spike pits and pools of acid.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

I can't even be angry... blaming music videos is downright adorable. I just want to pinch his cheeks and pat him on the head. Poor guy's probably picketing nonexistent 2 Live Crew shows and calling up stores to ask that they stop selling that new "Wolfenstein 3D" game.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By NoobSauceG7

It is kinda funny how retarded the NRA is.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FourWude

He's right. COD is a casual trash pos

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wikitoups
@Brodehouse
Yeah Mortal Kombat did the gun violence.

yo dont you see strykers winning pose he straight up dump some in the air!
wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By wafflez

I blame Stryker.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Matterless

@dudy80 said:

Honestly, i agree with just about everything besides the video games/music thing. And fact is its just a headline grabber, sorry but you cant stand to protect peoples rights and then take them away on other things. I think he meant that kids shouldn't be playing them more then anything though.

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

Columbine had armed guards. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columbine.cd/Pages/DEPUTIES_TEXT.htm

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stryker1121

Mortal Kombat and music videos? Did this guy time travel here from 1992?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By DarthOrange

"[Politicians] have bragged about gun free school zones. They post signs advertising them. And in doing so, they tell every insane killer in America that schools are the safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk." 

This whole thing is just a bunch of straw man arguments.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sanity

@Degringolade said:

@dudy80 said:

Columbine had armed guards. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columbine.cd/Pages/DEPUTIES_TEXT.htm

No one said it would solve everything, but it would go a long way in helping deter these things. Yes the NRA makes there fair share of dumbass comments but i can laugh at there ignorance as its harmless, there not gonna spend money lobbying for game bans obviously. Taking guns from law abiding people isn't.

Also, the crazies ere out in force with there signs, i thought that one dude was gonna stoke out or something.

puddlesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By puddlesworth

Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By golguin

@dudy80 said:

@Degringolade said:

@dudy80 said:

No one said it would solve everything, but it would go a long way in helping deter these things. Yes the NRA makes there fair share of dumbass comments but i can laugh at there ignorance as its harmless, there not gonna spend money lobbying for game bans obviously. Taking guns from law abiding people isn't.

Also, the crazies ere out in force with there signs, i thought that one dude was gonna stoke out or something.

Call me crazy, but I feel that preventing the crazy guy from being able to get their hands on a gun is better to a shootout with an armed guard at a school to see if he can get taken down. Being the gun enthusiast that you are you should be aware of the huge advantage the crazy has on the armed guard since he'll be going in knowing he needs to kill the guard first.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By murisan

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHA holy fuck. Nope. No. You lose, old man. Pathetic.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cornbredx
This is classic scape goating. Poorly done, but scape goating none the less. 

@dudy80 said:

There were armed guards in my high school.
Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Matterless

RT elisefoley: I played a ton of Mario Kart as a kid, which is why I'm always throwing bananas out of my car.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Phatmac

UGH.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Jams

I was doing something in another room when I heard, "games like Slaughterhouse and Mortal Kombat". I was like wuuu? Then I did a double take and went it to see what was going on. Then some guy ran in holding an anti-NRA sign and was shaking like a mother fucker. I agreed with the NRA that guns aren't the problem. Then he pissed me off when trying to pass the blame back on to media and games.

The worst part was the hypocritical nature of passing the blame. I fucking hate hypocrites, especially when they do it for political reasons.

So fuck the NRA coming straight from the underground.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hitchenson

@dudy80 said:

That's fucking horrific.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

It doesnt surprise me, the NRA hasn't been about it's members for a long time, it is controlled by the lobbyists payed by the gun companys. The majority of the NRA want tougher gun control, but the manufactors just want to sell as many guns as they can.

I would love to see another Thank You for Smoking movie based on the Gun Lobbyist in that movie.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Haha, Wayne LaPierre....just reminded me of this.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Matterless

It's notable that LaPierre did not call out the most obvious video game franchise he could have included. I imagine realistic military shooters do a fair amount to drive the NRA's membership dues.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, this seems desperate, it's like he can feel how the support for his cause is dwindling, all the while the rest of the world is shaking its head at him.

Hopefully America will see the light and get with the rest of the modern world when looking at gun laws, but I doubt it.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By murisan

@Degringolade said:

It's notable that LaPierre did not call out the most obvious video game franchise he could have included. I imagine realistic military shooters do a fair amount to drive the NRA's membership dues.

Yeah, I mean... Warfighter isn't getting DLC to coincide with that movie about the Bin Laden operation or anything. Seriously, though.. he picked Mortal Kombat and Slaughterhouse over Call of Duty?! There aren't even guns in MK! This is just jokes level stupid.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sanity

@Hitchenson said:

@dudy80 said:

That's fucking horrific.

Had a armed cop in mine too, and he did break up quite a few fights... Whats so bad about that exactly? You people do realize theres other ways to harm someone besides a gun right? Ever heard of bombs?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jams

@murisan said:

@Degringolade said:

Yeah, I mean... Warfighter isn't getting DLC to coincide with that movie about the Bin Laden operation or anything. Seriously, though.. he picked Mortal Kombat and Slaughterhouse over Call of Duty?! There aren't even guns in MK! This is just jokes level stupid.

violent video games like pong and spacewar!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#40  Edited By Hailinel

The NRA is desperate and doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@dudy80 said:

@Hitchenson said:

@dudy80 said:

That's fucking horrific.

Had a armed cop in mine too, and he did break up quite a few fights... Whats so bad about that exactly? You people do realize theres other ways to harm someone besides a gun right? Ever heard of bombs?

The idea that guns shouldnt be controlled because, hey, you can hurt people with lots of stuff, is seriously nutso.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Matterless

Mortal Kombat now trending on Twitter worldwide.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

Goddamn Stryker.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By laserbolts

@FourWude said:

He's right. COD is a casual trash pos

HURRR DURRRR

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By TheHT

Why didn't he blame Call of Duty? I hear it's really popular and all about that pew pew.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fearbeard

His answer to the problem? More guns!!!!

His statement is almost a parody of itself.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By golguin

@dudy80 said:

@Hitchenson said:

@dudy80 said:

That's fucking horrific.

Have you heard of a drive by bombing?

I had a friend in high school get his house shot up while they were minding their own business. He got shot in the leg and his brother was shot in the stomach. They both survived. Don't give me some "you can kill people with bombs and knifes too bullshit." I know you come from a world where guns are a fun hobby, but I live in a place where guns actually kill people. I live in a place where my and my cousin can be playing tennis and a gang member can walk up to us asking us "Do you gangbang? Where you from?" and decide if he wants to blow us away right there. Do you know what it feels like to be in a situation like that? I'm tired of reading bullshit from people who have no idea of the real consequences of gun violence and sit in their chairs thinking of clever ways to act like guns aren't the problem.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By gaminghooligan

@wafflez said:

I blame Stryker.

This is something all people can agree with.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jams

@dudy80 said:

@Hitchenson said:

@dudy80 said:

That's fucking horrific.

Wait, what's horrific? I we had a ton of security guards (and a cop or two) in my high school and I graduated 8 years ago. We also had fights almost every day for the first 3 years (by the last year I think they weeded out all the little gang members. I remember one time in P.E. some Oaxacan kid pulled out a 3 foot lead pipe that he carried in his baggy ass pants. When there were fights at my school, the security guards had to run and tackle the people fighting. They had to treat them like grown adults because they would fight so visciously. One kid got his head kicked in from a fight. Like it literally caved it a bit. Once he knocked the guy down he just started kicking him in the head over and over until the security just bum rushed him and slammed him to the floor and it took 2 guys to hold him down.

Good times...

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Trilogy

So I was watching Msnbc last night and Rachel Maddow was talking about how the history of the NRA and how they react to shootings in the US. She predicted they were going to blame violent video games and the way we handle our mentally ill in this country.

I have to hand it to her. I really can't stand Maddow, but she kind of called it.