NYC visit plans

DF_salem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DF_salem

hey duders, I'm looking for some help. I'll be in nyc for a day this month and after a bit of google mapping I think I have a tentative itinerary which is: The Highline, to Nintendo world, to MoMA, to The Met. But my question is, is this too much for one day? I'd love to see all these places and more but I'd hate to miss out trying to fit them in. Thanks

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Plan your trip the way you want, but for me I'd say that's probably too much in one day. For comparison sake, I went to New York the first time about 6 years ago. I had three days and I tried to do the Statue of Liberty, the Battery, the Met, the MoMA, the Ghostbuster's Library, Grand Central Station, Empire State, etc. I felt like I didn't have enough time to really "see" all that. I mean, you could spend several days at the Met and not really "see it."

You've got to account for travel time between those places too, remember. Granted, public transit in NYC can be pretty efficient compared to other big cities, but you've still got to get places.

DF_salem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: Yeah that's what I was afraid of, I think the Met is staying on there. I'd hate to cut any of the places off but I can't imagine I'd get to enjoy all of it in one day. Thanks man.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Honestly that really depends on you and your enjoyment of art as far as the MOMA and the MET are concerned. I could spend hours in the MET because I love looking at older art/sculptures but when I went to the MOMA recently I breezed through it because I'm not big into modern art. The important thing to realize, when your in a rush, is that getting around the city can take some time, even for short distances. So if you're really in a rush be sure to have the subways planned out and make sure to have some spare cash for a cab in case your pushed for time and the subway takes too long to get to where ever you want to go.

Otherwise I think 4 things is probably just enough stuff to do without really rushing, especially if you start early (which I suggest).

Enjoy your trip!

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think you should probably cut one of the museums. Last year (or maybe two years ago?) I tried to go to the MoMA around Christmas/New Years and the line to get in was literally hours long. So I would be cautious about that if you're planning to go on a day that a lot of people won't be working. You shouldn't have any trouble getting to see Nintendo World or the Highline (which is awesome). When I lived in NYC a few years ago, I spent an entire day at the Met a few times and still didn't think that I had seen everything. Can't say how crowded it will be around the holidays, but it's a huge museum and has a little bit of everything in it, including a modern art wing.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll second the idea that you have to keep potentially long lines in mind when it comes to the museums, especially around the holidays when there will likely be a lot of tourists in town. Plus, as everyone else has said, the Met is enormous. Like, comically so. Trying that, and the MOMA, plus a handful of other things will probably not be a whole lot of fun. Nintendo World on the other hand, probably won't hold your attention for more than 20 minutes or so. Its neat, but not especially big or exciting.