Obama Tells Military To Be Prepared For War In Korea

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bunnyboiler
I hope none of the countries do anything stupid. 

Article: 

OBAMA TELLS MILITARY: BE PREPARED FOR WAR IN KOREA  

OBAMA TELLS MILITARY: BE PREPARED FOR WAR IN KOREA

Gus Lubin | May 24, 2010, 10:13 AM | 5,325 | 70

Obama released a statement this morning showing full support for South 
Korea's retaliation plan for the destruction of the Cheonan.

Technically, we're now one illegal ship movement by North Korea away from nuclear war.

From the White House:
President Obama fully supports President Lee in his handling of the ROKS Cheonan incident and the objective investigation that followed. The measures that the government of the Republic of Korea announced today are called for and entirely appropriate. The Republic of Korea can continue to count on the full support of the United States, as President Obama has made clear.

Specifically, we endorse President Lee’s demand that North Korea immediately apologize and punish those responsible for the attack, and, most importantly, stop its belligerent and threatening behavior. U.S. support for South Korea’s defense is unequivocal, and the President has directed his military commanders to coordinate closely with their Republic of Korea counterparts to ensure readiness and to deter future aggression. We will build on an already strong foundation of excellent cooperation between our militaries and explore further enhancements to our joint posture on the Peninsula as part of our ongoing dialogue.

As President Lee stated in his address earlier today, the Republic of Korea intends to bring this issue to the United Nations Security Council. We support this move. Secretary Clinton and Ambassador Rice are each consulting very closely with their Korean counterparts, as well as with Japan, China, and other UN Security Council member states in order to reach agreement on the steps in the Council.

In response to the pattern of North Korean provocation and defiance of international law, the President has directed U.S. government agencies to review their existing authorities and policies related to the DPRK. This review is aimed at ensuring that we have adequate measures in place and to identify areas where adjustments would be appropriate.

The U.S. will continue to work with the Republic of Korea and other allies and partners to reduce the threat that North Korea poses to regional stability. Secretary Clinton is currently in Beijing and she will travel to Seoul for discussions with President Lee and his senior advisors on May 26 before reporting back to the President on her consultations in the region. Secretary Gates is in close contact with ROK Defense Minister Kim and will meet with him and other counterparts at the June 4-6 Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore. President Obama and President Lee agreed to meet in Canada at the time of the G-20 Summit.     
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kishan6

holy shit... 
why dont i live in canada!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

I do admire consistency and it would be awfully hypocritical to posture at Iran all the time and ignore one of the most impoverished dictatorships on earth. I'd prefer China act like a first world power and handle this but they're obviously not going to step up to the plate. And the UN, which is supposed to keep any country within the UN safe, is obviously just full of hot air and probably thinks empty words can undo a blatant act of war like destroying a military ship.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xMP44x

Oh sweet Jesus. Granted, he is doing a service to the South Koreans and stuff, but I do not want to wake up some morning to hear that the US, and therefore the UK, are in a war against North Korea. Korea likely is allied with other countries... Russia anyone? And considering the nuclear capabilities of Korea, there's a chance they'll get the first nukes off in a nuclear war. China really should be the country to deal with this considering the fact they are neighbouring countries.. But apparently America polices the world for those who aren't willing to do it themselves. Fair play to Obama though - it takes some balls to tell troops news like that.

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveFart

Scary stuff. why can't they just turn some YMCA on and dance together in peace ?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ninjakiller

About time.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper

Yooogggaaaaaa Shangri-La!

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By bicycleham

Am I the only one thing "About fucking time?"

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By TomWhitbrook

That title and op-ed, although that's being generous for 1 sentence,  is pretty sensationalist and doesn't seem to relate to the actual information.. It's just a reiteration of the position the United States has taken since the cease fire in Korea, and all the incidents like this one in the 50+ years since then haven't led to war. 
@xMP44x: It isn't 1953 any more. There is absolutely no chance that Russia is going to come to the aid of NK.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By AlwaysAngry

At least he did one thing right so far.

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bunnyboiler

BBC news:

BBC News - US to conduct naval exercises with S Korea after attack 

US to conduct naval exercises with S Korea after attack
Page last updated at 17:45 GMT, Monday, 24 May 2010 18:45 UK

South Korea's president has vowed to punish those who carried out the attack

Click this bar to view the full image.

The US has confirmed it will hold naval exercises with South Korea, after a report blamed the North for the sinking of a Southern warship, officials say.

The Pentagon said the joint anti-submarine and other military exercises would start "in the near future".

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak earlier froze trade with Pyongyang, vowing to punish those who carried out the attack.

North Korea has said it will retaliate for any action taken against it.

The country's main newspaper called the investigation an "intolerable, grave provocation".

'Unequivocal support'
South Korea has said it will refer the North to the UN Security Council in response to the sinking of the Cheonan - and the resulting death of 46 sailors - in March.

In a move endorsed by the US, President Lee said in a televised address that Seoul would no longer tolerate "any provocative act by the North and will maintain a principle of proactive deterrence".
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho
@Xolare said:
" Am I the only one thing "About fucking time?" "
@ninjakiller said:
" About time. "
Not to say I think this is a war the US should necessarily be fighting (just assisting) its absolutely a worthy cause when you consider the humanitarian disaster that is North Korea. You can't claim to be a humanitarian then sit around while the kind of shit happening in N. Korea is being allowed to happen. Its kind of like Sweden claiming to be peaceful because they didn't take a side in WW2. 
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Evilsbane

Yea you will excuse me if I don't bat an eyelash if something bad happened to that country, good to see the rest of the world is playing nice with us though everyone recognizes them as a very real threat.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Hamz

OH SHI-....CRYSIS IS ABOUT TO BECOME REALITY!

Calling it now, joint allied forces utilising nanosuit technology to invade North Korea. It is on!

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bicycleham
@ryanwho said:
" @Xolare said:
@ninjakiller said:
" About time. "
I can't read. *cock slap*
some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By some1
@ryanwho said:
" @Xolare said:
@ninjakiller said:
" About time. "
Not to say I think this is a war the US should necessarily be fighting (just assisting) its absolutely a worthy cause when you consider the humanitarian disaster that is North Korea. You can't claim to be a humanitarian then sit around while the kind of shit happening in N. Korea is being allowed to happen. Its kind of like Sweden claiming to be peaceful because they didn't take a side in WW2.  "
Dont you mean Switzerland
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By KaosAngel

...how are we going to pay for it? 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xMP44x
@TomWhitbrook said:
@xMP44x: It isn't 1953 any more. There is absolutely no chance that Russia is going to come to the aid of NK. "
Fair enough then. I thought the two countries were allied. I guess not.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho
@some1 said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Xolare said:
@ninjakiller said:
" About time. "
Not to say I think this is a war the US should necessarily be fighting (just assisting) its absolutely a worthy cause when you consider the humanitarian disaster that is North Korea. You can't claim to be a humanitarian then sit around while the kind of shit happening in N. Korea is being allowed to happen. Its kind of like Sweden claiming to be peaceful because they didn't take a side in WW2.  "
Dont you mean Switzerland "
Swedes were neutral too. But yeah the Swiss are the ones known for it, I think.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho
@KaosAngel said:
" ...how are we going to pay for it?  "
That's never been an issue before.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FrankCanada97
@some1 said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Xolare said:
@ninjakiller said:
" About time. "
Dont you mean Switzerland "
Actually Sweden is the oldest neutral country in the world, haven't fought a war since 1814.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel
@ryanwho said:
" @KaosAngel said:
That's never been an issue before. "
Yeah well I just paid $2000 in taxes this year...and if this means another hike, I'm gonna be pissed.  I couldn't care about the war, it's the budget and taxes that are more important right now. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

It's good we're backing up our ally (South Korea) after their assistance in Afghanistan. I'm cool with that. If it does happen, hopefully I can get some college done first. 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Jadeskye
@Hamz: Haha thanks for making me laugh about this pretty dire news.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho
@KaosAngel said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @KaosAngel said:
That's never been an issue before. "
Yeah well I just paid $2000 in taxes this year...and if this means another hike, I'm gonna be pissed.  I couldn't care about the war, it's the budget and taxes that are more important right now.  "
There would be a slight economic trickle down if North Korea decides to nuke South Korea or Japan. There, it ties back to your wallet now so you can care.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
@ryanwho: Why can't people get along, and realize taxes go up because of crap like this.
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

About time! Kim Yung-Il, be prepared!

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Belonpopo

It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and we're all out of gum.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dbz1995
@Scooper said:
" Yooogggaaaaaa Shangri-La! "
You, my friend, have obtained a lot of love from me just there.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho
@KaosAngel: People are aware of this but there is a threshold between overspending and a worthy cause. It's not like we're Crusading to bale the world out even though we're at a deficit cap. Well, that wouldn't be the case for this specific war.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By EpicSteve

For you religious folk: 

This would mean a war against China as well, which the last prophecy in the Bible. I'm not a man of God, but that's strange. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Diamond

Is this a legit news source?  But I wouldn't doubt military is being told to be prepared now.  I guess the only really key factor is to make sure China doesn't mind us attacking one of their neighbors, and isn't threatened by it.  N Korea is a pretty unpredictable dictatorship, and it'd be a lot 'safer' and easier to put them on the right track than Iran.

@EpicSteve:  No, it wouldn't.  Although there are many reasons why China might react aggressively, China has trade with North Korea, but I'm sure they don't like the idea of a dangerous, radical, unpredictable nuclear power on their border.  There's also the refugee problem which is why China didn't nip the problem in the bud a long time ago.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Detrian

Come one, come all! Pay a penny and see how many catastrophic wars can the Unites States juggle!

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TomWhitbrook

China is not going to provide any meaningful support to NK. They've drifted way apart since the Korean war. Nor will they tolerate a nuclear exchange on their doorstep.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KaosAngel
@Detrian said:
" Come one, come all! Pay a penny and see how many catastrophic wars can the Unites States juggle! "
That's cute.  :|
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve: Since you're in the military, I guess it would be good to ask you - aren't we already having a problem with the amount of soldiers we have for Iraq and Afghanistan? 
raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By raiz265

GL HF.

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bunnyboiler
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Detrian
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KaosAngel
@Detrian: Let me take a wild guess and say you aren't American.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hamz

BBC article on this. Seems like we're going to see some tough action taken that undoubtedly will end up in military action. I think when North Korea say they'll use force if sanctions are imposed they mean it.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Willy105

Boo.

Say no to war.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ryanwho

Don't throw failing Euro currency in glass houses.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

This north Korea shit has been going on since the end of the Korean war. It's about fucking time America and South Korea are doing something about it.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Capum15

Man, isn't Kim just the angriest little guy in the world? Dude should get laid and chill.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Detrian
@KaosAngel said:
" @Detrian: Let me take a wild guess and say you aren't American. "
Of course not. If I were I would be AMERICAAAAAAAAA FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAH (cause I would have no perspective).
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#47  Edited By natetodamax
@KaosAngel said:
The same way we've done it for a while now: taxes
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mutha3

In no way will China or Russia back NK up if this war happens..

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwho
@Willy105 said:
" Boo.  Say no to war. "
There's a good chance posturing will be enough on its own. 
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ArchScabby

I really think West Korea should get involved in this.