Official 2012 NFL Discussion Thread

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By ThePickle

(Disclaimer: In no way is this topic official. Then again, they rarely are).

Starting moderator CitizenKane is a no show, so his backup ThePickle will be taking control of the field with this one. Let's break down our week 1:

Week 1 (9/9/12)

HomeAwayFinal Score
New York GiantsDallas Cowboys24-17 DAL
Chicago BearsIndianapolis Colts41-21 CHI
Cleveland BrownsPhiladelphia Eagles17-16 PHI
Detroit LionsSt. Louis Rams27-23 DET
Houston TexansMiami Dolphins30-10 HOU
Kansas City ChiefsAtlanta Falcons40-24 ATL
Minnesota VikingsJacksonville Jaguars26-23 MIN
New Orleans SaintsWashington Redskins40-32 WAS
New York JetsBuffalo Bills48-28 NYJ
Tennessee TitansNew England Patriots34-13 NE
Arizona CardinalsSeattle Seahawks20-16 ARZ
Green Bay PackersSan Francisco 49ers30-22 SF
Tampa Bay BuccaneersCarolina Panthers16-10 TB
Denver BroncosPittsburgh Steelers31-19 DEN
Baltimore RavensCincinnati Bengals44-13 BAL
Oakland RaidersSan Diego Chargers22-14 SD
No Caption Provided

Be sure to follow ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER for your minute to minute live tweeting coverage of the Detroit Lions!

Ice Cube made another song about the Raiders. Better than Raider Nation? Nothing is. But it's fine I guess. It's associated with Pepsi. So you know it's gangsta. http://www.pepsianthems.com/artists/ice-cube

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By shinboy630

My Lions sure made it interesting today, but hey, 1-0 is 1-0.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AltonBrown
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Atlas

Tough day for my Colts, but Andrew Luck drew a short straw by having to start his career against that Bears defence. Bears will be real good this year if they can keep Cutler upright - and healthy. As for the Colts...well, I think six wins would be a good first season for Pagano, Grigson, and Luck.

No question the shock of the day came down in New Orleans. Going to watch that game tomorrow to see just how the Redskins won it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

I already got my fair share of disappointment with the Giants on Wednesday so this Sunday has been fairly uneventful.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Atlas

Can't believe people are already talking about RGIII's big day in New Orleans proving he was a better pick than Luck. That's not a conversation we can even have. The Saints defence is average at best and has to deal with key guys who were missing/hadn't practiced. I'll make no judgements about RGIII until I watch the game, but there is nothing inherently impressive about torching the Saints defence. And Andrew Luck? The Bears are a top-five defence easily, and he had near constant pressure in his face from Peppers, Melton, and the like, and the Bears secondary is the most underrated in football. He made some rookie mistakes, no doubt, and some of his passes floated too much which you can't get away with in the NFL, but I saw a great deal of positives from Luck's performance against a pretty ferocious Bears defence.

Meanwhile I'm watching 49ers-Packers, and it's gonna be a lot of fun watching San Francisco this year. Man, can they play defence. And a great physical run by Gore on that last drive for the TD. Packers have looked flat and out of rhythm on offence, and I have many concerns about their defence. Too many broken tackles, and nobody knew where they were supposed to be in coverage on a play which allowed Randy Moss to be wide open in the end zone for the first score. Terrible.

Edit: Panthers-Bucs just ended; Bucs win 16-10. Key stat that jumps out of me is the Panthers running game. Best running QB in football, two great running backs in Williams and Stewart and the human bowling ball Mike Tolbert. All that talent, and they had 10 rushing yards on 13 carries. Shocking; maybe we should be paying attention to this Bucs run defence.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By patrickklepek

BEARDOWN

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Atlas

@patrickklepek said:

BEARDOWN

SHUT UP. COLTS FOREVER. SUPER BOWL 41. 29-17. AAHH.

Actual post; keep Cutler healthy, and you'll be up there with the best in the NFC.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThePickle

Two highlights of Packer/Niners:

To be fair, the refs during this game were terrible.

I'm looking forward to the Jets season. While I don't think the wildcat offense will do very well for them, it will be fun to watch.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@ThePickle said:

I'm looking forward to the Jets season. While I don't think the wildcat offense will do very well for them, it will be fun to watch.

The Packers got a gift on that punt return. This officiating was almost as comical as pro wrestling. It was just as bad in other games today.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThePickle

OK, Broncos/Steelers coming up. Saving the best for last. Fuck those Steelers up Payton!

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Fuuuuuuuuck that was a disappointing loss for the Seahawks, my day is ruined. These refs fucking suck, holy shit.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThePickle

@QuistisTrepe said:

@ThePickle said:

The Packers got a gift on that punt return. This officiating was almost as comical as pro wrestling. It was just as bad in other games today.

Coming off of that I thought they had the momentum to take it back. But then, pick.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Phatmac

My Giants lost already so I've been missing most games.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Atlas

@ThePickle said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

@ThePickle said:

Coming off of that I thought they had the momentum to take it back. But then, pick.

Then they got NaVorro Bowman'd. Then they got Frank Gore'd.

Yeah, easily the two biggest ref screw-ups were the multiple misses in the 49ers-Packers game and the messed up end to the Seahawks-Cardinals game. Sounds like many of the other games were pretty well called; just a shame that these two games really seemed to be adversely affected by the replacement refs.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

GO SEAHAWKS.

Hopefully Wilson turns out to be a good QB choice.

Also, fuck you, Cardinals and fuck you refs.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PeasantAbuse

The refs spend 10 minutes trying to figure out what was up with Pete Carroll's time out situation and then they fuck the call up anyway, hahahah.

@Hailinel said:

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

@PeasantAbuse said:

The refs spend 10 minutes trying to figure out what was up with Pete Carroll's time out situation and then they fuck the call up anyway, hahahah.

@Hailinel said:

It's going to be a long season.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThePickle

@Atlas said:

@ThePickle said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

@ThePickle said:

Then they got NaVorro Bowman'd. Then they got Frank Gore'd.

Yeah, easily the two biggest ref screw-ups were the multiple misses in the 49ers-Packers game and the messed up end to the Seahawks-Cardinals game. Sounds like many of the other games were pretty well called; just a shame that these two games really seemed to be adversely affected by the replacement refs.

There weren't too many screw-up in Jets/Bills. On the part of the refs, that is. Fitzpatrick was a complete disaster. And Rich Gannon used irony is every situation where it didn't work.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By bmehlers

Man I'm disappointed at that Panthers loss. I was anticipating an easy win and we were shut down by the Bucs' defense, especially our running game. Teams have had the whole offseason to study and plan for Cam Newton. We are going to have to change it up and Cam needs to make better decisions.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Atlas

All that money the Bills sent in the offseason to bolster that defence, and they allow the Jets - who did nothing in the preseason - to scorch them for 48 points? Never can guess what'll happen in the NFL.

And how about a shout out for Adrian Peterson? Nine months ago he broke both his ACL and his MCL. He was a huge question mark for the Vikings all through the offseason. He starts week one and scores two touchdowns on the ground and rushes for just under 100 yards. Such an amazing player; been the best running back in football ever since he was drafted.

And how about that Ryan Tannehill kid in Miami, eh? Woof.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Hailinel said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Hailinel said:

It's going to be a long season.

Yeah, it was pretty sad that they couldn't capitalize on those two pass interference calls at the end.

@Atlas said:

And how about that Ryan Tannehill kid in Miami, eh? Woof.

The Dolphins are going to be terrible this year. They were on HBO's Hard Knocks this year and I really don't like their coach at all.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThePickle

Big Ben is sacked 3 times in a row: perfect end to a great day of football

Can't wait until I stay up to 1AM watching the Raiders home opener. Fuck you timezones and Raiders game starting at 7!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By recroulette

I thought people were overreacting about the ref situation during the preseason (because it's always the ref's fault), but goddamn, the officiating during 49ers and Packers was godawful. 
The kick by Akers was amazing though, looked exactly like a video game kick, bounce and all. 

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#25  Edited By MightyDuck

Go Bears! Happy to see the offense much improved! Hoping that will carry them through the season.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

Both of my teams won and looked great doing it so I'm FUCKING STOKED. Texans and Broncos both tore it up on both sides of the ball. God damn I'm so fucking excited for this season. 

Also, yeah, the NFL needs to give the refs whatever they want because the 49ers-Packers and Steelers-Broncos games were both horribly officiated.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By OneManX

Falcons Win!

Saints Lose!

All I need is Baltimore to win tomorrow and all will be right in football.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SlightConfuse

@bmehlers:

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By topsteer

@ajamafalous: Yeah Broncos! I'm so fucking excited that we have Peyton Manning this year.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By BlastProcessing

Watching Peyton command the field once again was probably the best part of today for me. He certainly proved that he's still the best, and watching him uncover blitzes and fuck over the Steelers D on the fly was a special treat that no other QB can match.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By grilledcheez

Well my Steelers lost so that sucks, but it's always cool to see different teams emerging around the league.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By gla55jAw

I just watched the Jets game again, man did they look good today. I still don't believe in Shonn Greene and wish the Bills didn't score those garbage points, but I'm excited to see how they handle the Steelers next week.

Also, I think we all forgot the performance that Peyton puts on when he plays. I really hope I get to see a lot more Broncos games this season. He's going to light it up.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ajamafalous
@TopSteer said:

@ajamafalous: Yeah Broncos! I'm so fucking excited that we have Peyton Manning this year.

I was on a high for like three days straight when they signed him. The combination of signing Peyton and trading Tebow made for the greatest offseason I've ever been witness to. The fact that he doesn't even look any worse for wear is just a bonus. And goddamn does it feel great to see the Broncos look good again. Their defense looked good for the first time in years. It's looking like they'll rival the Plummer years and the Elway years. 

Meanwhile, this is the Texans' year. Their defense is absolutely insane and their offense is killer. If the offense stays healthy they'll make a run for sure. I mean, fuck, they won one playoff game last year and outplayed the Ravens on both sides of the ball in the other with a backup rookie QB. That's ridiculous

I haven't been this excited for a football season in about seven or eight years.
biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By biggiedubs

I guess it's another year of shouting at the Packers defence through the TV....though maybe this year I can mix it up and shout at the offence too.

Playing zone defence with no-one over the middle, can't play man-for-man coverage for shit, looking for big hits instead of wrapping up the runner. Great. Awesome. Good job, guys.

And when your QB scrambles for more yards than your running back, you know you're in trouble.

Can anyone recommend me a decent site for NFL news, by the way?

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Atlas

Peyton. Effin. Manning.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThePickle

@Atlas said:

Peyton. Effin. Manning.

He's back!

-every headline on every NFL website.

@gla55jAw said:

I just watched the Jets game again, man did they look good today. I still don't believe in Shonn Greene and wish the Bills didn't score those garbage points, but I'm excited to see how they handle the Steelers next week.

Also, I think we all forgot the performance that Peyton puts on when he plays. I really hope I get to see a lot more Broncos games this season. He's going to light it up.

It'll be entertaining to watch the wildcat offense, but I don't think they'll do very well this season. Especially with their schedule. 6-10, maybe 7-9 if they get lucky.

Watching Peyton for the first time in over a year was a true joy. Even though he is wearing a Broncos jersey, I will be rooting for him this season.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By InternetDotCom

The Patriots looked, well like the Patriots normally do. Except they also remember every once in a while that you can actually run the ball. Also Wes Welker didn't even play a good number of snaps for some reason.

Also the Browns being the Browns.

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By positrark

Should be an interesting season for the Colts. Luck looked like a rookie in his first game, but away against a tough Bears D he showed promise. Looks like a 4-12 type year as expected. Hopefully Luck will play well and develop during the season.

PS: Call me a grammar Nazi, but since this is a season long thread I feel compelled to point out that the disclaimer in the OP should read "By no means" or "In no way", not "By now way".

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ajamafalous
@biggiedubs said:

Can anyone recommend me a decent site for NFL news, by the way?

nfl.com 

You're welcome :)
QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@Positrark said:

Luck looked like a rookie in his first game,

Could be worse, your team could have drafted Ryan Tannehill in the first round. Luck wasn't terrible, he just got dealt a shitty hand for his first NFL game.

Nice to see my Bears aren't just all talk, but I'm not sold on the O-line just yet. Then again, Mike Martz and his "seven-step drop no matter how shitty the O-line is" offense is gone.

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By theslothking

My fantasy starters sucked this week ,but my bench did amazing. GO PATS!

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Patman99

This is probably the first season in a long time that I actually feel confident about the Broncos making/winning in the playoffs. It's been a long ass time since we've had a decent quarterback (I miss you Jake) and a fairly solid linebacking corps. The only real draw back that I can see is the safties for the Broncos seem pretty meh.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ThePickle

Alright, this is it. Raiders. Chargers. The game we've all been waiting for...

...and we start by fumbling the kickoff. Great start guys. Al would be proud.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By nightriff

Switched from MNF to Diner, Drive Ins and Dives......enjoying it way more than the football

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gla55jAw

@ThePickle said:

@Atlas said:

Peyton. Effin. Manning.

He's back!

@gla55jAw said:

It'll be entertaining to watch the wildcat offense, but I don't think they'll do very well this season. Especially with their schedule. 6-10, maybe 7-9 if they get lucky.

Watching Peyton for the first time in over a year was a true joy. Even though he is wearing a Broncos jersey, I will be rooting for him this season.

I'm a Jets fan, but I think they can be a 10-12 win team this season. If you just give them the wins against the bad teams (Dolphins, Bills, Colts, Seahawks, Cardinals, Jaguars, Titans), that is 9 wins right there. Their defense is going to be in the top 5, and if Sanchez can finally have a good season, they're going to get some wins.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#46  Edited By Brackynews

@ThePickle said:

Dawww that's so cute, he thinks he's playing with a ball. :3

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ThePickle

@gla55jAw said:

@ThePickle said:

@Atlas said:

Peyton. Effin. Manning.

He's back!

@gla55jAw said:

I'm a Jets fan, but I think they can be a 10-12 win team this season. If you just give them the wins against the bad teams (Dolphins, Bills, Colts, Seahawks, Cardinals, Jaguars, Titans), that is 9 wins right there. Their defense is going to be in the top 5, and if Sanchez can finally have a good season, they're going to get some wins.

I don't think you can just give them a win against the Seahawks or the Jags or even the Colts. Sanchez did look impressive against the Bills, but it's too early to tell if it'll last. They did go 0-4 in the preseason

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@gla55jAw said:

@ThePickle said:

@Atlas said:

Peyton. Effin. Manning.

He's back!

@gla55jAw said:

Whoooooa, the Seahawks are not a bad team, homeboy.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By gla55jAw

@ThePickle said:

@gla55jAw said:

@ThePickle said:

@Atlas said:

Peyton. Effin. Manning.

He's back!

@gla55jAw said:

I don't think you can just give them a win against the Seahawks or the Jags or even the Colts. Sanchez did look impressive against the Bills, but it's too early to tell if it'll last. They did go 0-4 in the preseason

Games they should win still. You're right, it's still too early to tell, but I still think they're better than last season (8-8). The preseason never really matters, plus I think the 48 points closes that argument, hopefully anyways.

@PeasantAbuse: Time will still tell with Wilson and sure, they have talent, but I don't think that team makes 8 wins. That's what's great about football though, any given Sunday.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ThePickle

Alright, Raiders lose. As always, zero discipline. The Chargers didn't beat the Raiders, the Raiders beat the Raiders. But what else is new. I was hoping it would be different. New head coach, surprise new WR, but it's still the same old Raiders. This is the one, the ONE game they have to win every year. They can go 2-14 for all I care, as long as those two wins are against the Chargers.