brianontoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By brianontoast

Lets set the scene... 

Im sitting at my desk, my t.v is on in the corner playing an episode of band of brothers and im struggling for words. not struggling for words to write this blog but an important essay for my university degree. i would consider myself a decent enough writer but i can never fluently write important things. Already i have wrote more words in 5 minutes in this blog than i have written all day on my essay. 

This writers block i have is really devastating to me. Because when i'm stuck for words and bored i suffer from severe compulsive spending on ebay. The last week i have already spent £120 a PS1and games whilst and am currently bidding on a PS3. Now i can honestly say i don't really want a PS3 and to be honest didn't mind getting a PS1. This happens i suspect to daydreaming about all the fun i could be having playing games rather than sitting in a semi-darkness reading about how DIY media culture is affecting the average persons role in the media. 

I hope for my banks sake i can finish this essay soon and i can't wait to play on my newly purchased PS1 :D
brianontoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By brianontoast

Lets set the scene... 

Im sitting at my desk, my t.v is on in the corner playing an episode of band of brothers and im struggling for words. not struggling for words to write this blog but an important essay for my university degree. i would consider myself a decent enough writer but i can never fluently write important things. Already i have wrote more words in 5 minutes in this blog than i have written all day on my essay. 

This writers block i have is really devastating to me. Because when i'm stuck for words and bored i suffer from severe compulsive spending on ebay. The last week i have already spent £120 a PS1and games whilst and am currently bidding on a PS3. Now i can honestly say i don't really want a PS3 and to be honest didn't mind getting a PS1. This happens i suspect to daydreaming about all the fun i could be having playing games rather than sitting in a semi-darkness reading about how DIY media culture is affecting the average persons role in the media. 

I hope for my banks sake i can finish this essay soon and i can't wait to play on my newly purchased PS1 :D
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

You are only in your first year at uni, marks aren't that important really.  
Of course you should try your best but it isn't the end of the world.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jorbear

C's and D's get degrees. 
But try your best and stuff too. 

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Where_Am_I

Try this, I have maintain a 3.0... well that's not bad... but... I'm enlisted into a color theory class... where you are graded based on skill.. which I have none in... so I'm getting c's in the last class because I don't have natural skill in that... and it's required.

brianontoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brianontoast
@Where_Am_I:
yeah. my course is kinda like that. i'm doing t.v so its 50% practical and 50% academic.  so far im blitzing the practical side. its these essays that bore the crap outta me :)
brianontoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brianontoast
@Chabbs0:
im participating in the study abroad program next year so my grades need to be at least 60%. it'll be worth it hopefully
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrv321

Just do a one word word printed in dark times new roman font twelve saying

Damn.

You can be more bulgar, but honestly yours will be the most original than the entire class who all went on google, no doubt the night before it's due date and put in the question, skipped the first two links so they can credit a different source and call it a night. Do me a favour if you really want to be truly original and do something mind bending awesome and fun, get out a camera. A fake a BBC/CNN DIY thing your writting about, make it 15 minutes long hand in the SD card and explain that the essay is inherantly pointless, and by handing in the paper I am working outside the confinds of the media at hand. I assume your talking about how more people have camera everywhere they go.  Example egypt

Get this : 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XnhHzs91MY

Find a way to incorperate it into the video, heck even do some editing and make your own 'DIY media'. I take it this is an evolution on Vietnam and that since everyone has a camera, there is no escaping the event and moments. Just say with this sort of thing. End with something poeting, original. How about

People have always had a voice, it's what makes us human, but only now their are millions of ears to hear it. These are new times, governments will collapse, history written in a whole new way, but mark my words tomorow will be a new world, amd free world, but a better one.

brianontoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brianontoast
@mrv321:
lol will do :)
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By MarkWahlberg

you could talk about how media makes slacking off really easy...

brianontoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By brianontoast

well thats 700/2000 words done and dusted
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Sambambo

What is a t.v course? (I am assuming it isnt the obvious)

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

I hated essays as a kid. I tend to write long winded opinions now a days so I suppose in some ways I am better at them now.

One thing that sucks about essays is to write about something you have to have some kind of passion for it. Otherwise your mind will be uninterested and so will you. Finding something about whatever the topic is that interests you, researching it, and incorporating that helps ease the monotony a little bit.

However, I have always hated how they confine you to strict guidelines in college (some expect you to cite references which I have always found stupid as often it suggests they really don't want you to think, they just want you to base your opinion on someone elses). Anyway, length is always a problem for me as well as I tend to want to write more about a topic then the confines of the essay allow. 

Meh, I think I'm ranting again. Point is, easiest way to do any essay is to find something about the topic you like. At least for an opinionated long winded writer like me that tends to help.

As a side note, all my references for topics that I felt were unnecessary; I would references someone then inform the reader that I disagreed with it. I would usually look for things to reference I disagreed with in order to more easily form my opinion and why on the topic at hand. Granted, some things have facts- known unchanging things about the universe. There is some things, though, that I dont need to know what the PHDs or someone famous think in order to have an opinion on it. 

I actually can't suggest you do that though unless you're very opinionated as it makes some teachers mad. It depends on the teacher and the topic on whether or not this will work.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

When I get writer's block, I go for a walk, get a drink, take in the sights, go home, nap, then I wake up in a different mind-set and usually the writing comes pretty fast. Sometimes on the walk, I have a "Eureka!" moment, and I run the rest of the way back.  

Either way, when you're short on ideas, inspiration, and energy, a change of environment can do the trick!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

i say take a break from writing to rethink of what you want. i also think that drinking gets writing going. i don't know if it's a good thing but i wrote decent work while drinking. i am happy that i am done with english a couple of semesters ago. there was a lot to write in that class. 

i know it's not good but C are alright to get in college.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mrfizzy
@brianontoast said:
" Lets set the scene...  Im sitting at my desk, my t.v is on in the corner playing an episode of band of brothers and im struggling for words. not struggling for words to write this blog but an important essay for my university degree. i would consider myself a decent enough writer but i can never fluently write important things. Already i have wrote more words in 5 minutes in this blog than i have written all day on my essay.  This writers block i have is really devastating to me. Because when i'm stuck for words and bored i suffer from severe compulsive spending on ebay. The last week i have already spent £120 a PS1and games whilst and am currently bidding on a PS3. Now i can honestly say i don't really want a PS3 and to be honest didn't mind getting a PS1. This happens i suspect to daydreaming about all the fun i could be having playing games rather than sitting in a semi-darkness reading about how DIY media culture is affecting the average persons role in the media.  I hope for my banks sake i can finish this essay soon and i can't wait to play on my newly purchased PS1 :D "
As someone who finished his degree last November, take it from me, get down one or two paragraphs, even if they aren't great just get them down on the page, i always found that once i had started writing, it got way easier and i could always go back and re-write those first paragraphs later if i had to. Oh and another thing is never write blind, plan your essay, know how many paragraphs you're going to have and what each paragraph is going to be about. It will make the whole thing seem less daunting if you have a plan to follow, even if it is only a basic one.  
The last thing i would say is that keep positive, i really struggled writing business reports when i first started at uni, by the end of it i could do a decent quality, 2000 word report in a few hours assuming i knew what i was talking about and didn't have to spend ages researching stuff. Anyway, thats all i have to say, good luck with it! 
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By beej
@mrfizzy: Exactly, I like writing essays but I often struggle getting the first page done. Once that's complete then it's not so bad to just finish the rest of it. Also at the OP if you aren't outlining your essays and citations ahead of time it really helps, since whenever you get stuck you can just refer back to the outline. 
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By natetodamax

The hardest part of essays is getting started. Once I get ideas in my head and start writing, I can usually go for a good five minutes or so before I lose my train of thought again.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@jorbear said:
"C's and D's get degrees. But try your best and stuff too.  "

This.