Ok Apple this is not cool

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel
http://gizmodo.com/#!5793925/your-iphone-is-secretly-tracking-everywhere-youve-been
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy-fears    

Aparently since last June the Iphone is being tracking all your movements, for what reason? who knows.. 

here is the worst thing ANYONE can use an app made to access this information from your iphone. I already downloaded and try it myself, I don´t even live in the US at the moment and the thing works ti shows all my recent travel and my daily movement.. kind of creepy yes. Quoting for the main article:

The privacy startle, apparently enabled by this summer's iOS 4 release, was discovered by two security researchers, one of whom claims he was an Apple employee for five years. They're equally puzzled and disturbed by the location collection: "By passively logging your location without your permission, Apple have made it possible for anyone from a jealous spouse to a private investigator to get a detailed picture of your movements," they explain. All it would take to crack the information out of your iOS device is an easy jailbreak. On your computer, the information can be opened as easily as JPEG using the mapping software that the security experts have made for download—Try it yourself.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

APPLE IS SKYNET!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

They've been able to do that much longer than that. They could even turn on your phone and listen to what you're doing if they wanted to.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By npeterson08

Will this help me find my phone when it gets lodged between my couch cushions?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't keep a GPS chip in your damn pocket. I'm cool with it, I don't have much to hide. Oh, there is all of that meth fueled gay sex I've been having downtown, but that was gonna come out sooner or later.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ch3burashka
@MooseyMcMan said:
" APPLE IS SKYNET! "
Was there ever any doubt?
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Vinny_Says
@TooWalrus said:
" If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't keep a GPS chip in your damn pocket. I'm cool with it, I don't have much to hide. Oh, there is all of that meth fueled gay sex I've been having downtown, but that was gonna come out sooner or later. "
sounds HOT!
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By FourWude

Police in the US can now download all your cellphone data in seconds, and it's been occurring in Michigan during routine traffic stops.

The device is called Cellebrite.

So now that your phone can log everywhere you've been, store that data indefinitely, (data is not totally erased when deleted off your storage devices), and can then be instantly retrieved by police when they decide for whatever reason to pull you over or search you. All your phone records, conversation logs, GPS tracking logs, e-mail, internet, pictures, videos, mp3's the whole shabang. It bypasses any passwords or encryptions you have on your phone. Effectively it's making a duplicate image copy of all data on your phone. Data transfer rates are high enough these days that GB's of date can be transferred in less than a minute. 

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Warfare
@FourWude said:
"

Police in the US can now download all your cellphone data in seconds, and it's been occurring in Michigan during routine traffic stops.

The device is called Cellebrite.

So now that your phone can log everywhere you've been, store that data indefinitely, (data is not totally erased when deleted off your storage devices), and can then be instantly retrieved by police when they decide for whatever reason to pull you over or search you. All your phone records, conversation logs, GPS tracking logs, e-mail, internet, the whole shabang.

"
I don't have a cell phones anymore so i'm good.
DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DonPixel
@FourWude: I don´t like the sound of that, not that I have something to hide.. but shouldn´t be some privacy rights and stuff protecting citizens? all this stuff sounds like way out of hands
Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Malphye
@blacklabeldomm said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't keep a GPS chip in your damn pocket. I'm cool with it, I don't have much to hide. Oh, there is all of that meth fueled gay sex I've been having downtown, but that was gonna come out sooner or later. "
sounds HOT! "
Pictures or it didn't happen.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

i already kind of knew this, since well it's a cellphone that uses signals. everyone even if you have an old phone it can be tracked. if your paranoid that your going to get tracked then maybe you shouldn't have a  cellphone.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

I don't really care.  Nothing to hide.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By rawrnosaurous

I tend to magnate wipe all the drives that I have no use for anymore, you can never be too careful about what data your leaving behind that you don't realize.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

*Waits patiently for page long rant from someone*

Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16  Edited By Lev
@DrPockets000 said:
" I don't really care.  Nothing to hide. "
IMHO this is the mentality that has damned the word to the state that it is in today.

Being diverted from the focus of personal liberty and quickly excusing such acts in he belief that it doesn't effect you (personally) anyhow.

It might not affect *you* now. Right now you may not have anything to hide. Right now you may be completely innocent, but you can continue doing the same thing for everyday only to be labeled guilty at a later time.

If one day breathing oxygen without paying an 'oxygen license' is outlawed, you then have something "to hide". You can be living your life peacefully for years on end, but all it takes is the world to change for what you consider to be normal to now be outside the line of what is acceptable.

If you think the oxygen metaphor is an unrealistic one; just think back to the third reich. A whole lot of people didn't think they they had anything to hide either. Throw a man gone kookoo bananas into the picture and all of the sudden they have something to hide. This is not an isolate incident. Throughout history acceptable behavior has shifted based on those in power. And I hate to say it, but humans have a real knack for cherry-picking some of the most hate-mongering minds we've ever created to lead us.

My point here is very simple: you may not have anything to hide today, but one day when some very uncool dudes decide to change the rules, you might.

I'm not trying to turn a mound into a mountain or anything, but I take serious offense to whenever people say this same thing over and over because it just echoes why we are where we are today.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013

I'm just interested to know what law allows police to do this without a warrant.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By dagas

Google knows what you search. Apple where you are. FB who your friends are. And now EU is going to store every SMS, E-mail etc "for use against criminals". Coupled with CCTV that is getting more and more popular and RFID chips in every ID-card...

Let's face it, privicy is dead...the only way to have privacy in the 21st century will be to live on an island with no technology and camouflage net over your house (to protect yourself against Google maps).

It sucks, but what can you do when not enough people seem to care? Only a few minor political parties are fighting for privacy.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Yanngc33

Who cares. If someone goes missing, Apple can give that info to the cops and probably save the person's life

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

"nothing to hide, nothing to fear" should not be an excuse.  Wanting something to be private doesn't necessarily mean it's something illegal or to be ashamed of, it's a basic right.  One we're losing a little bit at a time..

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Fallen189

Oh no, they might see me go from my flat, to the store, to my girlfriends house!

She

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By She

Good job I don't have an iPhone... just an iPod :)

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Kiemoe

Isn't it possible that this isn't an evil plan from the government/ apple to track your every move? I feel like there's a very strong possibility that this information could be used to track signal strength in various locations for different locations. Or maybe they're coming for you. Either could be true.

Gunde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gunde

This is just Apple being lazy in their implementation of location functionality in iOS, it's very useful for the system to have a long history of where you've been so that it can create a statistically sound guess as to where you are now even without GPS enabled.

Android has the same functionality, but it's better implemented. This is because in Android you can turn off location awareness at any moment, a feature that is missing in iOS.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang

I don't see this as an issue, I do not care if they know where my iPhone is. Infact I would even say this is a good thing, I can call them if I loose it and they could call back and tell me its under my copy of Mario Kart Double Dash!
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By floodiastus

So the ancient bloodlines are using technology to track their sheep? What a huge surprise

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bio595

This technology has existed for at least 50 years. They're called "electromagnetic waves".

Anyone with basic math and physics can tell where you are if you are broadcasting. The iPhone keeping the data locally is more convenient and more helpful

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bio595

Telecoms probably have their own log of this stuff as well.
Dudes could make a device or app that tracks people regardless of encryption.

This isn't a breach of privacy, it's a wake up to the 21st century

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pibo47
@MooseyMcMan said:
" APPLE IS SKYNET! "
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nemt

If you use a Sprint phone with a stock rom CarrierIQ is tracking every keystroke.

The problem isn't exclusive to Apple or AT&T.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By flaminghobo

I'd first start talking about the prices they charge for their sub-par products which receive few new features every year before we begin talking about what else -isn't- cool about Apple.

Stray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stray

I'm surprised this blew up the way it did recently. I watched a show like 6 months ago talking about the tech on iphones and chipped credit cards etc monitoring peoples locations. They've been talking about this tracking stuff for years for *alleged* security purposes with borders and airports etc.