Old School, anybody?

Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Liamguy01

Now, seriously whatever happened to Old School games, everybody? I mean, really. I know that it is "old school" but, still. My friend has a SNES and we had just been playing that game Volleyball, and seriously enjoying it (which kind freaked me out, and if you've played the game, you know what I mean). 
Ever heard of it? If you haven't, it wouldn't be surprising, but I found that it was much more addicting than anything I'd played in a long time! 
Ditto the original Yoshi's Island, too. I know that we now have Yoshi's Island DS, but still, I have found that just as good as Yoshi's Island DS, if not better. 
Old school games defined games as we know them today. Please don't ignore them.

Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Liamguy01

Now, seriously whatever happened to Old School games, everybody? I mean, really. I know that it is "old school" but, still. My friend has a SNES and we had just been playing that game Volleyball, and seriously enjoying it (which kind freaked me out, and if you've played the game, you know what I mean). 
Ever heard of it? If you haven't, it wouldn't be surprising, but I found that it was much more addicting than anything I'd played in a long time! 
Ditto the original Yoshi's Island, too. I know that we now have Yoshi's Island DS, but still, I have found that just as good as Yoshi's Island DS, if not better. 
Old school games defined games as we know them today. Please don't ignore them.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

it's all nostalgia for me 

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheGremp

Old school?  Oh, you mean like the original Halo?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By buzz_clik
@Liamguy01: I wouldn't worry too much. I think there's still a pretty healthy community for the old games crowd.

@TheGremp said:
" Old school?  Oh, you mean like the original Halo? "
Noice.
Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Liamguy01
@TheGremp: Not exactly. By the way, how long have you been gaming for? Because if that was an attempt at sarcasm, i pity you.
Halo: Combat Evolved is old, but I'm talking the '80s, not 2004 or whenever the original halo came out.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

Oh, this is disappointing.  I thought you were talking to me  :-(

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CaptainTightPants

I thought you were talking about the movie.....oh well...

Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Liamguy01
@oldschool: Hm. Well, I could be. (like now) This website rocks, though. I jsut signed up for this site less than 10 minutes ago, and posted this blog, and I already have a bunch of comments, since I'm used to maybe 1 comment on my blog every year when I was on gamespot.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hitchenson
@oldschool: I actually thought he was talking about you.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TheGremp said:
" Old school?  Oh, you mean like the original Halo? "
......*whistles Kefka's theme* Not that you'd know who Kefka is.

(I'm not sure if that post is a joke or not, so just in case, this.)
Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By Eder
Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Liamguy01

You know, I really have to watch what I name my blog posts. Sorry to disappoint  you, oldschool (i'm talking about the user)

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGremp
@Liamguy01: Someone doesn't understand the concept of humor. 

I've been playing games my entire life, though my entire life hasn't been that long by most people's standards, I've played my fair share of "old school" games, been playing the Street Fighter series over the past few years, from SFII Turbo to SFIV. 

I grew up playing N64 games and Quake.  Most people wouldn't consider those "old school", but hey, I can't control which generation I was born in.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Wolverine
@Liamguy01: I think many current games are more addicting. I am addicted to Halo 3 because I've met people playing that game and enjoy playing with them over live. There is now social aspect of old school games.
Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Liamguy01
@TheGremp: Dude, I was born in 1996 and this is my blog. I don't think it matters which era you were born, just how much you see how many new games are based on old ones and check out the source material. (Not that I'm saying that new games don't stand for anything)
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RetroIce4

Looks at name and realize that I play more N64 and Roller Coaster Tycoon than PS3 and Wii. I still play a lot of 360 though.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By oldschool
@Liamguy01 said:
" @oldschool: Hm. Well, I could be. (like now) This website rocks, though. I jsut signed up for this site less than 10 minutes ago, and posted this blog, and I already have a bunch of comments, since I'm used to maybe 1 comment on my blog every year when I was on gamespot. "
@Hitchenson said:
" @oldschool: I actually thought he was talking about you. "
I'm so lonely, I'll take anything I can get  :/ 

I still play my SNES and Mega Drive for old school fun.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGremp
@Liamguy01: You still haven't wrapped your head around the fact that I was joking?  Let me spell this out...

I don't consider Halo an old game.  I have played games my entire life.  I play games that are both old and new. 

*sigh*
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By CowMuffins

"Old School" games were challenging and fun. They had to make a game that could last multiple play-throughs because games were expensive and needed to have that appeal in order to sell them. All games were made for a niche group of people, and therefore could be challenging and obscure. Now-a-days more and more people are playing video games, and in order to cash in on the larger demographic game companies have dumbed down their games. WoW is the best example I can think of for this.

Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Liamguy01
@TheGremp: Ahhhhh! So you were joking. Sorry, it's just I read a lot of threads on these websites, and a lot of people are just complete idiots who post completely random things without any making any sense at all. I mistook you for one of them. Sorry.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGremp
@Liamguy01 said:
" @TheGremp: Ahhhhh! So you were joking. Sorry, it's just I read a lot of threads on these websites, and a lot of people are just complete idiots who post completely random things without any making any sense at all. I mistook you for one of them. Sorry. "
Yep.  Sarcasm doesn't translate terribly well on the internet, and I constantly forget that fact.  There needs to be a a *SARCASM* tag along wit the *SPOILER* tag.  It would make my futile attempts at humor much more effective. 
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CowMuffins
@Liamguy01 said:
" @TheGremp: Ahhhhh! So you were joking. Sorry, it's just I read a lot of threads on these websites, and a lot of people are just complete idiots who post completely random things without any making any sense at all. I mistook you for one of them. Sorry. "
You can usually tell the idiots by their complete lack of knowledge in the spelling and grammar fields. Most people on Giant Bomb aren't like that, and if they are then they get flamed to hell.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ajamafalous
@Hitchenson said:
" @oldschool: I actually thought he was talking about you. "
Me too. Or possibly the movie.
Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Liamguy01
@TheGremp: How right you are. And you know what, you're even more right about the

"Sarcasm doesn't translate very well on the internet" part. People who use sarcasm on the internet are practically stoned to death by insults, put downs, and people who are just "going with the flow" 

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By buzz_clik
@CowMuffins said:
" "Old School" games were challenging and fun. "
They still are!
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CowMuffins
@buzz_clik said:
" @CowMuffins said:
" "Old School" games were challenging and fun. "
They still are! "
Compared to the game of today I meant. Emulators have given me so much insight onto games I havn't played, and never will beat. Especially Shadowrun for the (Genesis?) that game is hard as all get out.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By buzz_clik
@CowMuffins: Oh, heck! Thanks for reminding me: I've got my eye on a boxed copy of Genesis Shadowrun on ebay and totally forgot to check on it!
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

To tell you the truth I can't play many of those old games for more than an hour now. It's nice to go back to the old consoles every now and again, but the nostalgia wears off quickly and the simplicity sets in soon after.

Liamguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Liamguy01
@CowMuffins: Have you ever played the original Ninja Gaiden? If you have, I have felt your pain. That game was hard as hell, and twice as time consuming. I could barely get past the first level, although unlike games nowadays where if a level is too hard you either use cheats or hack to get past the level or just toss the game under your bed and forget about it, however hard old school games may get, you just can't...... put......... the......... controller.......... down!  
Now, games like that, are classics.
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brunchies
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By bacongames

Good games are good games.  Period.

Nostalgia only makes certain games seem better than they actually are.  If they were good at one point, they will be good at any point in time if the context of the game is considered, and possible adjusted for.

I can't stand kids that don't their research and old school farts who yell at all the kids to get off their lawn.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I like the games of today. 

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#33  Edited By JackiJinx

I have two SNESes and an NES. Only one of the SNESes is in working condition, but I just got the idea of getting the broken one working. Man, that's going to be fun. Need to replace the NES pins first.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By animateria
@Tuffgong said:
" Good games are good games.  Period.  Nostalgia only makes certain games seem better than they actually are.  If they were good at one point, they will be good at any point in time if the context of the game is considered, and possible adjusted for.  I can't stand kids that don't their research and old school farts who yell at all the kids to get off their lawn. "
 Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Some games don't age well either. They might have seemed superb at the time but no longer have that quality when played in a modern context. Early 3D games usually have this problem.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By buzz_clik
@Tuffgong said:
" Good games are good games.  Period.  Nostalgia only makes certain games seem better than they actually are.  If they were good at one point, they will be good at any point in time if the context of the game is considered, and possible adjusted for.  I can't stand kids that don't their research and old school farts who yell at all the kids to get off their lawn. "
Yup. Heavy Nova was crap back then, and no amount of nostalgia can turn it into something even hazily resembling fun.

If I feel like playing a 16-bit game it's because it's a good game and that's just what I'm in the mood for, in the same way that I might feel like playing Burnout Paradise instead of FarCry 2 or Maximo or anything on any other console.
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CowMuffins
@Liamguy01: Yeah, I bought it on the Virtual Console. I got past the first boss and don't remember what happened after that. I do agree though, you can't put them down.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#37  Edited By AgentJ
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zeforgotten

Old School gamers unite! 
Reporting for duty!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

no, i never forgot about old school stuff. over the spring time my friend took out his n64 and we were playing it. it was pretty fun to play goldeneye again and some other games. 

my grandma has a working snes that i use to have. i had to give it to my cousin's son because they didn't want him playing his xbox because of how expensive it was.