Old to new PC data transfer via Modem?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Hey Duders,

I'm getting a new computer soon and I'm hoping there is a way I can transfer my extensive library over somehow without re-downloading. I'm currently in a geographic area with severe download caps so the internet is not an option.

Any advice appreciated!

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deanoxd

take the storage device out of current pc put it in new pc transfer data. would be the best way to do it. youtube should have no problem showing everything you need to know to get this done. And by best/easy i mean its what i would consider the best/easiest way. The easiest would setting up your new pc and copying everything from old pc to new across your home network.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I had to do this recently. I used a external HDD cradle. If the new computer and the old computer use the same OS you can typically just drag and drop from one to the other.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah take the HDD out of the old one and either put it in the new one as a secondary drive or get a external hdd enclosure and hook it up via usb and transfer them over(or run them off it if it's fast enough).

SpydrMrphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There are a few ways of transferring the data.

One is to plug in the old Hard Drive into the new PC. This is a bit easier with Desktop computers as most Laptops are going to give you one bay for a HDD and it's going to be already taken up. This is the fastest way, because the new PC sees the old HDD as just another drive. Just make sure you have the correct cable, connector on the mother board and physical space in the new PC.

You could get a HDD Enclosure like this http://a.co/9jWF5LW. This will allow you to change that old HDD into a External HDD. From there you can transfer it from the old drive to your new PC. A bit slower than the first, because you are transferring files to the new PC, however you can access them not only on the new PC but any computer that can read the format of the drive. It's a large USB drive when you use the enclosure. You also need to get a enclosure that is compatible with your drive. The physical size of the drive and it's data connection (SATA, IDE) is what you will need to know when making your purchase.

If the old PC works and both PC are on the same home network, you can also set it up for a direct transfer over the network. This would be over your home network, so no internet traffic needed, no downloading new files from the Net. This will be slower than the others, but you don't need to remove any hardware from the old PC.

Good luck with finding a solution that works for you.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just over the network should be fine, plug them both into a switch or the back of your router.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

yeah while moving over a HDD to the new computer would be easy to do, if you just want to keep your old computer and transfer it over network then just learn the basics of sharing folders and drives over the network and you'll easily be able to copy files over to the new computer via LAN. kinda like this video.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yep, provided tossing the old hdd into the new machine isn't an option, sharing over your home network is probably the way to go. Or you can get a crossover cable and hook the two machines directly.