Oni, Bungies Black sheep.

d0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

Edited By d0x

Took a couple days off from work this work to soak in all the E3 coverage. I hadn’t taken any vacation time in well over a year so I figured I was due anyways. I started off the morning watching some Giantbomb coverage. When I ran out of videos I wanted to watch I moved over to cinemassacre.com to see what James Rolfe has been up to which brought me to a video about a hacked version of Castlevania. All very interesting I know!

My journey ended on youtube. I started watching the History of Sony/Playstation, then Dreamcast etc etc.

Eventually I came to the G4 show Icons about Bungie. I started watching and I continued to do so until they hit upon Oni. Oni is infamous like…really infamous and if you haven’t heard about it shame on you.

I had just started to work at EBGames during the run up to release of Oni. The company was pushing this game like it was the second (…third?) coming of Jesus. I didn’t even know what the game was but I knew for some reason I had to sell the shit out of it and this company Bungie who I had never heard of was a massive deal.

Launch day comes, the store floods with PS2 gamers and to a lesser extent PC gamers all looking for Oni and we are more than happy to sell them copies. We probably had around 100 total preorders which for that time period was quite a bit for a single game.

Fast forward a day…people start coming back to the store incredibly pissed off. They talk about how unplayable the game is, its broken, its impossible it just doesn’t work! Keep in mind this is at a point where stores didn’t lie about copyright issues and they let you return new games and get your money back. Oni is one of those titles that changed that.

We had so many returns the company sent out a memo extolling the virtues about Bungie’s Oni. Try to convince these people to keep the game! Do whatever you can to keep it from coming back into inventory! Sell Sell SELL!!!

Well it didn’t work. We probably got about 60% of copies back within a couple days of purchase. I still had no idea what the hell was really wrong with this game so I signed it out. A lot of reviews said the issue was the graphics and how all the textures were the same and every room looked the same but that wasn’t it we all let that slide when we played Bungie’s Halo. It was something deeper. Fact of the matter is gamers just were not ready for Oni. It used dual analog controls, something that was incredibly new at the time. Oni was not compelling enough to force us to learn how to play so gamers got pissed off and returned it. Its that simple.

Go ahead, play Oni now. Especially if you played it back then. Amazing isn’t it? The game isn’t that bad! Sure its not great but its passable. Hey at least it didn’t delete all your save files!

d0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By d0x

Took a couple days off from work this work to soak in all the E3 coverage. I hadn’t taken any vacation time in well over a year so I figured I was due anyways. I started off the morning watching some Giantbomb coverage. When I ran out of videos I wanted to watch I moved over to cinemassacre.com to see what James Rolfe has been up to which brought me to a video about a hacked version of Castlevania. All very interesting I know!

My journey ended on youtube. I started watching the History of Sony/Playstation, then Dreamcast etc etc.

Eventually I came to the G4 show Icons about Bungie. I started watching and I continued to do so until they hit upon Oni. Oni is infamous like…really infamous and if you haven’t heard about it shame on you.

I had just started to work at EBGames during the run up to release of Oni. The company was pushing this game like it was the second (…third?) coming of Jesus. I didn’t even know what the game was but I knew for some reason I had to sell the shit out of it and this company Bungie who I had never heard of was a massive deal.

Launch day comes, the store floods with PS2 gamers and to a lesser extent PC gamers all looking for Oni and we are more than happy to sell them copies. We probably had around 100 total preorders which for that time period was quite a bit for a single game.

Fast forward a day…people start coming back to the store incredibly pissed off. They talk about how unplayable the game is, its broken, its impossible it just doesn’t work! Keep in mind this is at a point where stores didn’t lie about copyright issues and they let you return new games and get your money back. Oni is one of those titles that changed that.

We had so many returns the company sent out a memo extolling the virtues about Bungie’s Oni. Try to convince these people to keep the game! Do whatever you can to keep it from coming back into inventory! Sell Sell SELL!!!

Well it didn’t work. We probably got about 60% of copies back within a couple days of purchase. I still had no idea what the hell was really wrong with this game so I signed it out. A lot of reviews said the issue was the graphics and how all the textures were the same and every room looked the same but that wasn’t it we all let that slide when we played Bungie’s Halo. It was something deeper. Fact of the matter is gamers just were not ready for Oni. It used dual analog controls, something that was incredibly new at the time. Oni was not compelling enough to force us to learn how to play so gamers got pissed off and returned it. Its that simple.

Go ahead, play Oni now. Especially if you played it back then. Amazing isn’t it? The game isn’t that bad! Sure its not great but its passable. Hey at least it didn’t delete all your save files!

gzl5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gzl5000

Oni is one of my favorites from that era. The Anniversary edition on PC and Mac especially make it a lot of fun now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Oh dude, I don't know. I put Oni in 3 weeks back and tried to do the first level. It's awful. The animation looks nice, but the actual fight controls manage to be both squirrelly and clunky at the same time. It wanted double taps and specific timings that the input and animation just wasn't ready to handle.

On the bright side, the art is super pretty. Super Ghost in the Shell.

the best part about Oni is the name. That shit is super clever. The game is about an abusive dystopian government that preaches fear of technology while researching new technology to control the masses. An oni is both an older brother (a Big Brother, get it?) and a demon that deceives men in order to devour them.

edit: Also, why not a moderator move this to the Oni page? We have all these game pages, let's use them.

Timnoldzim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Timnoldzim

I played Oni on the computer as a kid, and I LOVED it. Maybe the PS2 port was botched, but I know for certain that it's a great game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Oni was crap. People try to find redeeming factors in its ambition, but it falls flat. It's just not fun to play at all, period. The animation is nice, and you can see how it would've been able to become an awesome game.

Unfortunately, it will always be something that folks are divisive about. = /

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By STUVNING

I remember loving Oni (PC-version). I haven't played since back in the day, but wasn't the combat system quite deep?

There were tons of moves and felt really satisfying when you managed to take down a group of enemies using both guns and melee attacks. It was far from perfect but not without merit.