Ottawa job search, Help!

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By scottp

I recently moved to Ottawa and I am having a hard time finding a job. I just graduated from university and I am looking for anything. I am coming to the Giant Bomb community for help and I hope I can find some luck.

Thanks Duders

Scott

Dornath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dornath

Ottawa Duders unite!

There's not much that I know about just now, but apply literally everywhere for seasonal stuff right now! Can I get any more info on where you are/what your skillset is? Hit me up in a PM if you don't want to share that stuff over the air.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fractal_seaweed

I'm not from Ottawa, but I'm a fellow Canadian. I'll gladly offer some advice.

I have a couple of suggestions. First and foremost: You should check out your University. Not for jobs (although sometimes there are good job offerings at the University!), but to see what sort of post-graduate support they offer. They're usually called Career Services at most campuses. The University I graduated from had an excellent Career Services department for students. The great ones help you create/edit your resumes, and even offer resume workshops. If the folks working there are fantastic, they might even send job postings yourway. Especially if you take the workshops, and get to know them. If they know you, they can send relevant job postings your way.

Secondly: I've been there. I've sent out my cover letter and resume to a bunch of places. I know the dos and don'ts. If you ever feel like you need someone to look at your resume I'd be happy to offer some constructive criticism (but of course if you don't feel comfortable sending your resume to a stranger on the interwebs that's understandable).

Thirdly: Career Beacon. It's a good place to start. You can see what sort of jobs are listed in your relevant field. Although the problem with Career Beacon is that there are probably hundreds of other people applying for those jobs posted there. But sometimes you get lucky - I did, but I also knew the manager through a friend, which gets me to the last point....

Fourthly: are there any particular instructors/faculty/administrative people at your University you're chummy with? Let them know you're looking for work! Networking these days is pretty important.

That's all I got for now. Good luck!

Dornath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@kawiji: From what I understood from OP's post I think he moved to Ottawa and didn't go to school here. I don't know if you can go to a different school's career services office.

Obviously let me know if I'm wrong Scott!

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks guys for your help. I ended up applying everywhere and I got a position at a marketing/data collection firm. It does not pay well but at least it is something, and my first day is today. Thanks for reminding me about the Career Service department in my school, I totally forgot that one of my professors is in charge of that department and I will look into that while I work this job.

I graduated from York University and relocated from the GTA to the Glebe area in Ottawa.

Again thanks, it means a lot when you can take time out of your days to help a fellow Bomber :)